It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What's your pocket knife? What ya suggest to go with?

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 19 2010 @ 01:10 AM
link   
reply to post by kimkim3074

I've got a Buck Bones(I think) 870..

It's sort of a simple folder with a simple liner lock mechanism. But it's a lot tougher than my old knife.. Which was a benchmade pardue (smaller one) I got for christmas. I still have the benchmade, but the mechanism is snapped. It can be used but the blade swings everywhere until it's manually locked in place.. In other words it's useless to me outside of simple things I might need it for around the house.

But I like the Buck. It is study enough. Easy to fix and adjust
edit on 19-12-2010 by Miraj because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 19 2010 @ 07:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by Miraj
reply to post by kimkim3074

I've got a Buck Bones(I think) 870..

It's sort of a simple folder with a simple liner lock mechanism. But it's a lot tougher than my old knife.. Which was a benchmade pardue (smaller one) I got for christmas. I still have the benchmade, but the mechanism is snapped. It can be used but the blade swings everywhere until it's manually locked in place.. In other words it's useless to me outside of simple things I might need it for around the house.

But I like the Buck. It is study enough. Easy to fix and adjust
edit on 19-12-2010 by Miraj because: (no reason given)

Any pic of your knife??

posted on Dec, 19 2010 @ 07:52 PM
link   
anything made by Kershaw
I prefer American made Blades

posted on Dec, 19 2010 @ 08:07 PM
link   
Yes for self protection now days you better make DAMN sure they don't have a gun before you pull it.... because they got a gun and you don't know and you pull a knife on them their going to shoot you and say self defense....

My state your not allowed to have over a 3 inch blade on you...

www.allthingsjeep.com...

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/bfc8eb93bfe5.jpg[/atsimg]

i carry the jeep 3 inch on me at all times and right under 20 bucks it works great for what ever..

If you did need it in a pinch for self protection it's better then NOTHING...

posted on Dec, 19 2010 @ 08:30 PM
link   
I'm a knife/collector guy and really it come down to your personal cutting needs and:

1) Materials

2) Design (one handed opening/closing, blade shape, size, lock/no lock)

3) Build Quality

Most people like a 3 inch blade. There are many to choose from these days and there are also many quality makers. My favorite are Benchmade and Spyderco for modern blades and Great Eastern Cutlery for traditional slip-joints. Me personally...I like modern blades with locking mechanisms and one handed opening/closing...not to mention pocket clips. Steel is an important consideration...some of the higher quality ones to look out for are 154cm, D2, S30V, VG10 ATS34, H1 (for marine environments). One of the issues with the supersteels like S30V is that they are extremely hard which means you need to be proficient with diamond hones to sharpen the steel or be willing to send the knife back to the maker to take advantage of their free sharpening service.

If you are looking for top build quality, materials and design I can recommend the following three knives....I have experience with all of them.

1) Spyderco Caly3

2) Benchmade Mini-Griptilian

3) Buck Vantage

In that order...depending of how much you want to spend.

Me personally I carry a Bradley Cutlery Alias I. It's borderline custom made of titanium scales, anodized aluminum spacers and S30V steel for the blade which is the best stainless steel as of 12/19/2010.

You can find videos of all the knives I mention on youtube.

posted on Dec, 19 2010 @ 09:26 PM
link   
Cold Steel all Day. Razor shard and extremely durable. I've never had a Cold Steel blade (fixed or folding) ever let me down.

Check out the 2:51 sec video of the performance of this Cold Steel Spartan

posted on Dec, 26 2010 @ 03:24 PM
link   
I dont really use pocket knives, in my family we mostly keep our knives hidden, like how my uncle keeps his in his wallet, and it cannot be seen on metal detector, or how I keep mine hidden in my pens, and lighter. So I would suggest having a hidden knife on you instead.

posted on Dec, 26 2010 @ 03:30 PM
link   
For a true pocket knife (not fixed blade, no sheath, etc), you cannot beat the Kershaw Leak, or any of their Ken Onion series. I guarantee I can draw my Leak faster than any other knife out there, it is sturdy, comes in many variations(straight blade, serrated, half-serrated), is not overly expensive like some(paid $50 for my Leak) and have a lifetime warranty.

www.vaknives.com..." target="_blank" class="postlink">www.vaknives.com...
edit on 26-12-2010 by captaintyinknots because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 26 2010 @ 03:40 PM
link   
I carry a Gerber model. It's all stainless, with a clip I use as a money clip (I'm a woman, and don't like carrying money in something I could lose). The blade is a utility razor. It allows me to make sure it is razor sharp all the time, by simply changing blades. I also keep a mini driver and spare blades in my purse.
Part of the reason I prefer to use a razor is because I worked in a grocery store, and had to use the provided box cutters for cutting pretty much anything. There hasn't been anything I haven't been able to cut with it. It's small size, about 1x3 inches, and is only about a 1/4 " thick which means I can carry it anywhere. It doesn't look like a knife either. It opens and closes with one hand, and locks into position. It was also only about $8.
I give them as gifts to lots of people who have also found them a lot more useful than any other knife they have tried.

posted on Dec, 26 2010 @ 03:52 PM
link   
Kershaw Leek Speedsafe...

Three-inch 440A stainless steel tungsten DLC black coated blade and handle.

posted on Dec, 26 2010 @ 03:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by Wally Hope
Kershaw Leek Speedsafe...

Three-inch 440A stainless steel tungsten DLC black coated blade and handle.

You and I share similar tastes. I dont know that a better pocket knife has ever been made.

posted on Dec, 26 2010 @ 05:58 PM
link   
reply to post by captaintyinknots

You can't get anything better for the price, or even twice the price, for that matter...

posted on Dec, 26 2010 @ 06:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by Blue Shift
I still like your basic Leatherman Multi-Tool. It's simple, sturdy, has pretty much everything I need. Accept no cheap imitations.

The only thing is that it gets a little slippery when wet. It's not that much of a problem, but I was thinking about putting on a good texture coat of some kind. Maybe one of these days.

I used to carry a folder, but I have found that the multi-tool is just what I need. I have a cheap gerber one that I use about 100 times a day.

posted on Dec, 26 2010 @ 06:23 PM
link   
Anything Kershaw. I have been carrying the speed bump about 4 years I probably would not switch to another brand.

posted on Dec, 26 2010 @ 06:37 PM
link   
I carry a Kershaw Ken Onion Tactical Blur ( link here ). It complements my Gerber multitool MP600 (link here). The Kershaw was about $45 at Walmart. I got the Gerber as a gift. I think it ran about $50.

posted on Dec, 26 2010 @ 07:00 PM
link   
I have carried Old Timer, S&W, Buck, and now use a Sheffield. My knife has a thousand uses: box opener, can opener, eating utensil, wire stripper, hunting weapon, defensive weapon, fish scaler, animal dresser, and marker to name a few. Only one thing matters about a pocketknife outside it having a comfortable handle: the blade.

I suggest a 3"-4" blade made of a high-grade stainless alloy so it doesn't rust. My Sheffield has a nice little section at the base dedicated to a bone saw... but it works great for stripping wire or locking into cardboard/plastic. You also want a good, sure lock on that blade so it doesn't close back on your hand at an inopportune moment.

Buy a whet stone with it, and anything more is show-off.

TheRedneck

posted on Dec, 26 2010 @ 07:12 PM
link   
What is the purpose? ..........That should be your first question in determining the knife for your situation.

I believe that a knife should both appeal to your eye and feel good in your hand, then is should be of good quality construction by a maker that has a proven track record.

Me I am a contractor so the everyday knife is a "Leatherman Charger" Titanium construction.

It cuts, dices, shreds, mutilates, screws, saws, measures, pokes, spreads, forks, hacks, scratches, scissors, files, picks, carves, slices, well you get the drift.

For hunting I carry it and a Good Old Buck for protection and a gut knife for the perp or animal.

posted on Dec, 26 2010 @ 07:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by Xzorter
Have you looked into "benchmade" nice knives.
Also of course cold steel makes fantastic weapons,like my 8"recon Tanto
And SOG has a nice selection.. My everyday carry is the
Combat Elite Knives 05SP Standard Blade Assisted Opener (RRF) Rapid Response Folder Linerlock Knife
$385.00 on sale. She won't let you down.

Wow, $385 dollars for a... knife?!! A KNIFE? YIKES!!

I cant help but say that before I spend $385 on a knife, that thing would have to magically transform into a gorgeous and perfectly shaped super-model and grant me any of my lustful wishes on demand 24/7 without issue or hesitation before I spend $385 on it. WOW, $385 for a knife?!!

You can get a nice carry pistol for that amount. Several models can be had for around that price. Never bring a knife to a gun fight, especially a $385 knife. I wouldnt want to scratch it up if I need to use it anyways.

Wow!

posted on Dec, 29 2010 @ 10:21 AM
link   
I highly recommend my C.R.K.T. Ignitor ( Colorado Knife and Tool ) I've had this for several years and it has been an very handy knife. FAST one hand opening, comes razor sharp and is easy to keep an edge on it, rarely needs sharpening and I use mine quite a bit for everyday things. Not a $300 blade, got mine for about $60 and was looking through their latest catalog and they've cut the price down to about $40.

posted on Dec, 30 2010 @ 02:06 PM
link   
I have a Benchmade Emerson Spec War Model CQC 7.

It has been around the world and has never ever let me down. I sent it in for service recently and they re-edged the blade, replaced the screws, gave me a new clip, replaced part of the liner and sent it back to me at zero charge. You can use it for everyday knife uses or it will take more extreme uses. It has been thrown several times and has even punched through a car hood.

I also carry a Blackhawk BHB41 for more everyday use.

And have a small mini-Gerber as a money clip.

For a sheath knife for camping or whatever, I actually love the old school Ka-Bar as you can beat the holy heck out of it and not worry that you invested a gazillion dollars into it like a Randall or something...though I do have my eye on a TOPS Firestrike.

And I am not one of these knife freak guys that collects them and is always toying and playing around with them in public. It is a tool for me and I just like decent reliable tools. The one guys advice for Coldsteel is very good. I had one once and for the money, you get a lot more than what you paid for it.

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join