It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

VW or Audi?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 7 2011 @ 05:50 PM
link   
These are actually my two favorite car companies but if I had to choose I would pick an Audi S4.

posted on Feb, 9 2011 @ 01:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by avraell

on the older passats they share the same power train as the a4 but the passat has a front wheel drive setup for the engine and the a4 has a longitudinal mounted engine because of the all wheel drive.

B5 and B5.5 passats have longitudinal-placed engines just like the Audi. Also, AWD is an option on the passats. Also, theoretically, you can have a faster passat than A4 because the passat comes with a W8 engine, which is always paired with AWD. The maintenance on that engine is a b**ch though.

heck yeah. i would hate to have to pay any kind of maintenance on a W engine. break a timing chain guide and skip a tooth and your in the hole at least 10 grand.

i wouldnt say you would be faster in a w8 passat than an A4 because you can get 450 reliable awhp from a 1.8t
with a bigger turbo more fuel exc.

or you can get an s4 and make more power than a w8 with a just reflash and better exaust and downpipe.

aftermarket for a w8 is non existent.

also 4 motion passats are kinda rare
w8 passats are rare. and expensive.
w8 passats in a manual are ultra uber rare
a tuned s4 will out handle and waste any passat w8

best and most practical route would be a 1.8t b5 A4.
if you have a little extra $ an s4
and if you have unlimited funding swap a vr6 with 034's adapter plate turbo it and go crazy.

www.youtube.com...
and thats only a 12 valve.

another 12v usp.
www.youtube.com...

24v vr6 makes crazy power
www.youtube.com...

www.youtube.com...
edit on 9-2-2011 by dirtycrickrat because: vids

posted on Feb, 17 2011 @ 05:43 PM
link   
The only difference is cabin materials and overall quality if you happen to have a VW made in Mexico vs. an Audi made in Germany.VW build size platforms for all of its brands. As such one platform gets the

VW Polo, Audi A1, Skoda Fabia,
Audi A3, VW Golf, Jetta, Skoda Octavia, Seta Ibiza
Audi A4, Seat Exeo, Volkswagen Passat, Skoda Superb
VW Tiguan, Audi Q5
and so on

posted on May, 23 2011 @ 02:20 PM
link   
Audi is the upscale brand for VW and shares many of the same drivetrains etc as VW.

Similar to LEXUS and Toyota.....Acura and Honda....

They are all made to compete with BMW.

The AUDI's do provide the QUATTRO all wheel drive platform as do some VW's now. But AUDI had it first with the Audi Quattro from the late 70's, and early 80's.

I worked on development for fiber optic network used in the Audi A8 at their R&D facility in Ingolstadt Germany.

I can attest to the viablity of the Quattro drivetrain for I was caught in a sudden snow storm while travelling one evening on the Autobahn at 140mph and the car didn't didn't even skip a bit when we hit the snow covered road.

Man was that ever a relief !!!

Very nice cars....but price wise, you will pay more for that luxury. But after that experience with Quattro it might be worth it if you live in the snow belt.

posted on Jul, 24 2011 @ 06:29 AM
link   
Looks aside, because Audi clearly wins. Audi is 100 times better. There is seriously no question here. Audi has the most luxurious and high quality interiors out of all the euro Marques. Plus, AWD>FWD assuming you get a quattro model. The gearboxes (manual, because auto is for four legged creatures that meow) are stunning. Honestly, if I could make a list of the cars that I would buy if I had the money, it would go like this in this order.

Nissan GTR
Infiniti g37 6mt sedan
BMW M3
Audi s5

If you're looking at the A series line, the A5 is a sexy piece of machinery. IMO VW are just boring eurotrash.

posted on Sep, 16 2011 @ 11:29 AM
link   
An Audi is just a VW with lock washers !!! LOL

posted on Sep, 16 2011 @ 12:26 PM
link   
Toyota

Just because...

I own one and it has given me no trouble in the last 8 years. And of all the cars the family has owned we have less trouble with Toyotas than any other brand.

Also, if you see how some people here drive with their Toyota mini-vans
you would be surprised the vehicle survived more than a day.

posted on Sep, 21 2011 @ 11:52 AM
link   
Buy a Honda. Best resale value of all and low cost maintenance !

top topics

<< 1   >>

join