It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

VW or Audi?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 14 2010 @ 10:28 AM
link   
Looking at the VW Passat and the Audi A-series of cars, the list looks resonably the same. is there any differances between the Passat and the Audi A series of cars to validate the price differance? or is it kind of like the Crossfire (a Mercedes with a differant brand badge)?

posted on Dec, 14 2010 @ 10:33 AM
link   
i have a vw golf my dad has an audi a3 i drive both and got to say my golf has the power but the audi has the looks so im mixed but i would have my golf hands down

posted on Dec, 14 2010 @ 10:37 AM
link   
reply to post by Jkd Up

Under the hood of my wife's VW, I have come across about a dozen Audi branded parts so there is serious cross-pollenation in the technology area. I would say let a test drive and the price difference be your guide.

posted on Dec, 14 2010 @ 10:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by RobertAntonWeishaupt
reply to post by Jkd Up

Under the hood of my wife's VW, I have come across about a dozen Audi branded parts so there is serious cross-pollenation in the technology area. I would say let a test drive and the price difference be your guide.

vw own audi or audi own vw its the same realy you will find audi parts bolt stright on to vw's i have audi alloys on my golf lol

posted on Dec, 14 2010 @ 11:20 AM
link   
Both cars are made by the same people your basically paying for the badge.
i used to drive car off the boats and i can say theres not a lot of difference

posted on Dec, 14 2010 @ 11:45 AM
link   
reply to post by Jkd Up

I personally like the "Christmas lights" that the new Audis have on the front.

As the others said though theres not much difference. Drive them and see which you like

posted on Dec, 14 2010 @ 02:39 PM
link   
Volvo Dude dude

Don't do German cars ...

posted on Dec, 14 2010 @ 10:09 PM
link   
VW owns audi (+ seat, skoda) theyre built using mostly same parts and equal build quality. depends wether you prefer badge or value.

posted on Dec, 15 2010 @ 10:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by neonitus
VW owns audi (+ seat, skoda) theyre built using mostly same parts and equal build quality. depends wether you prefer badge or value.

You forgot bugatti lol

posted on Dec, 15 2010 @ 11:06 AM
link   
reply to post by birdyat101

Thats a good point, so according to this thread a VW Passat and a Bugatti Veyron are much the same car

posted on Dec, 19 2010 @ 12:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by birdyat101

Originally posted by neonitus

You forgot bugatti lol

VW ownes Lamborghini as well... Hmmm... I thought we defeated Germany in WW2...

posted on Dec, 20 2010 @ 12:42 AM
link   
What year Audi / Passat.

If you are looking at B5s - around 1999, then the A4 and the Passat are the exact same car with a few minor differences. These differences are:

*The audi is always 4-motion (AWD), whereas for the passat it's an option
*The audi is slightly lighter, and therefore has slightly better acceleration (truly marginal)
*Obviously appearance
*Both get heated seats, but I think they are standard in the A4

Same story for B5.5, again, not sure what years.

However, the B6 (I think 2005 on, but just guessing) is a ***tty platform. It does not share many parts with the audi counterparts. It also has a crappier transmission, suspension, and engine layout (not parallel with chassis). If you get a T4 passat, the turbo lag is significant from a dead start. On the other hand, the newer Audi's got better in terms of performance and safety.

If you are looking for performance - 1999-2001 bi-turbo S4 is your car.

Keep in mind that both Audis and VWs are rather unreliable, hard to work on, have expensive parts, and crappy dealerships that rip you off. This is from someone who has owned an A4 and a Passat. People often turn to Audi to stave off the costs of BMWs. This is a mistake, in some ways, Audis are even worse. At least the Bimmer's drivetrain and suspensions are solid. Not the cause with Audis/VWs.

posted on Dec, 22 2010 @ 12:33 PM
link   
reply to post by avraell

Thanks for that valuable input! I was thinking about getting a 2003 or so Passat and dressing it as an Audi... Maybe I should just get the 1966 Porsche and drop in the Chevy small block, Bilistiens and such...

posted on Dec, 22 2010 @ 04:43 PM
link   
reply to post by Jkd Up

Np, more info since I wasted all that time working on my cars and learning this **** anyway:

I checked the year that B5 goes to B5.5 - it's 2000-2001. If you really want to mod it to look like an Audi, you are probably better off with the B5 as the B5.5 looks quite different from the A4, it also has the annoying shiny door trim that you have to take off, which in turns includes filling in the gaps and painting, etc. I think the B5.5 I4 makes like 10 more hp, but it's far from significant. Also, if you want to mod for speed, both of the passat engines aren't exactly going to put out unless you want to swap. I have seen people get to 250 hp or so by getting a bigger turbo or going all out on the V6, but if you want "real" power, aka 350+, you are looking at a supercharged 6 or the bi-turbo S4 6. Note that there are no turbo / super "kits" for these cars, it's all custom.

Another problem is that the drivetrain can't really take it. Control arms are known to fail on these cars, so if you are going to mod, you are looking at after market. While shocks/struts are ok for everyday driving, you are looking at a LOT of float at high speeds, and nose dive if braking intensively, so you will probably need stiffer shocks or coil overs. Then there is the fact that random ****, like all the engine and transmission mounts start failing if you are making more power than usual. In short, it's really not a good car to mode.

I would personally go with the porsche if I were a really good mechanic and then stress over safety in case there is an accident. Oh, and if you are going for speed mostly (though I know you want some class), then DEFINITELY go for the porsche. The Passat/A4 just aren't light enough.

I am guessing the porsche will turn out faster, more reliable (if you go with the things you mentioned), and more "unique/classy." I would swap the tranny too though.

posted on Dec, 22 2010 @ 05:49 PM
link   
My car guy drives both, the audi has more visual appeal and from my own experiences I find the audi is a bit more comfortable, handling they are about the same. Its really about your own comfort level, I've heard great things about infinity and I've driven one, pretty good similar to the audi in style, and I believe in price.

posted on Dec, 24 2010 @ 03:21 AM
link   
There is really no difference between a VW and an Audi as VW-Porsche owns Audi who owns Lamborghini, Bentley, Bugatti. The Lambo and Bugatti full time 4 wheel drive system was derived from VW.

The VW Passat Variant wagon is the same exact model as the Audi A6 Avant Wagon. The difference is about $15k, badging and one or two luxury refinements. Same heating.

edit on 24-12-2010 by TheImmaculateD1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 24 2010 @ 06:31 PM
link   
reply to post by Jkd Up

neither

Chevy

posted on Jan, 6 2011 @ 02:45 PM
link   
Get the VolksWagon

posted on Feb, 6 2011 @ 11:46 PM
link   
the cars are alot alike
the biggest difference is the audis all wheel drive system.
thats where the parts will mostly differ

on the older passats they share the same power train as the a4 but the passat has a front wheel drive setup for the engine and the a4 has a longitudinal mounted engine because of the all wheel drive.

posted on Feb, 7 2011 @ 05:48 PM
link   

on the older passats they share the same power train as the a4 but the passat has a front wheel drive setup for the engine and the a4 has a longitudinal mounted engine because of the all wheel drive.

B5 and B5.5 passats have longitudinal-placed engines just like the Audi. Also, AWD is an option on the passats. Also, theoretically, you can have a faster passat than A4 because the passat comes with a W8 engine, which is always paired with AWD. The maintenance on that engine is a b**ch though.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join