It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Blow gun = good to have

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 14 2010 @ 10:12 AM
link   
I was looking looking into the thoughts of the masses of ATS as to what they thought about the usefullness of a blow gun in a survival situation. Would it have merit or would it's short range cause only the best hunter to use it? What are your thought?

posted on Dec, 14 2010 @ 10:32 AM
link   
Good thought...
I have been thinking the same thing and looking into different models. They seem pretty practical, relatively inexpensive, compact (2 piece sets) and good for hunting small game. There are also a wide variety of different style darts.
Now I know what to get with my annual Cabella's gift card I get fore the holidays!

I have also been looking into sling shots....

posted on Dec, 14 2010 @ 10:32 AM
link   
reply to post by Jkd Up

I own one and It can indeed be a useful silent killer. I have taken rabbits, squirrels, birds, etc. There are several different types of ammo you can buy. I prefer the standard needle with a small broad head on it. I have found this to have the best accuracy and longest range. You will need a lot of practice to become proficient with it, much like all ranged weapons. I would buy one if I were you. If not for survival, get it because they are fun to play around with!

posted on Dec, 14 2010 @ 10:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by Jkd Up
I was looking looking into the thoughts of the masses of ATS as to what they thought about the usefullness of a blow gun in a survival situation. Would it have merit or would it's short range cause only the best hunter to use it? What are your thought?

Seriously, your going to launch a dart towards a rabbit or bird, say you do hit it then what? It will most likely run. The larger varment will also hide.

Get something more useful like a benjamin pellet gun if you want a cheap and efficient varment / small bird killer.

Better yet, learn to snare, it works 24 hours a day while you do more useful things like build a house. Snares do not discriminate though and you might tag the neighbors cat or something unwanted, but once you learn how to use it, you wont go hungry unless you out snare the area.

posted on Dec, 14 2010 @ 10:39 AM
link   
I would personally not use a blowgun for anything larger than songbirds unless I had nothing else to use.

I have taken cottontails with a blowgun, but in my experience, it was anything but a sure kill. Mostly the bunny would run and squeal if hit anywhere other than the head. I stopped trying bunnies after the second squealer happened.

Smaller birds seem to be killed quicker with a body shot, so I would limit it to that. Just because it is more humane.

posted on Dec, 14 2010 @ 10:39 AM
link   
I've had a couple. It would be great to use. It's not that short range honestly, the problem is that any target it could take would likely be too small at long range. I assume you would want it to take birds and frogs and etc. Would work like a charm, they are cheap, and fun.

posted on Dec, 14 2010 @ 11:10 AM
link   

Originally posted by Eavel

Originally posted by Jkd Up

Seriously, your going to launch a dart towards a rabbit or bird, say you do hit it then what? It will most likely run. The larger varment will also hide.

Get something more useful like a benjamin pellet gun if you want a cheap and efficient varment / small bird killer.

Better yet, learn to snare, it works 24 hours a day while you do more useful things like build a house. Snares do not discriminate though and you might tag the neighbors cat or something unwanted, but once you learn how to use it, you wont go hungry unless you out snare the area.

SSHHHHH! Don't give out such useful info! lol

posted on Dec, 14 2010 @ 02:12 PM
link   
I got shot in the butt with one and they sure do hurt. As for taking anything other than birds goes, I agree with other posters in saying that you probably wouldn't have much luck on anything else. That is, unless some kind of poison was used, like what they use with the poison dart frogs in South America. If you want to hunt things like rabbits or squirrels, you best bet would be to go for a head shot. I'm pretty sure that wouldn't be easy.

posted on Dec, 14 2010 @ 02:15 PM
link   
My experience with blowguns is limited so I probably can't answer your question.

Other than targets, the only thing I've ever shot with one was my brother's butt. Unfortunately he is a much faster runner than I am so that didn't work out so well for me. That 3 seconds of him realizing what just happened was hilarious...but...not so much once he caught me.

I'm guessing if you had to rely on a blowgun, it would certainly be better than nothing. I'm guessing you'd spend quite a bit of time and energy tracking what you shot.

If you want something quiet and substantially more efficient at killing game, get a bow or a crossbow.

posted on Dec, 14 2010 @ 02:20 PM
link   
Blow guns are archaic and outdated, especially if you dont have access to poisons for the tip.

You would be far better off with a simple collapsible bow and arrow, or learning how to make traps.

posted on Dec, 14 2010 @ 06:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by captaintyinknots
Blow guns are archaic and outdated, especially if you dont have access to poisons for the tip.

You would be far better off with a simple collapsible bow and arrow, or learning how to make traps.

Right. The natives of the Amazon that use blowguns have the ability to really pump up the pressure. It is like sneezing on demand through a tube. They can hit a monkey high in a tree. The average Western user would never acquire that ability of distance or accuracy. Hit something with a flying needle? Then what with no quick-acting poison involved? Better have a string on that dart.

Realistically, I doubt some of the "user" reports here. Killing a bird may be fairly easy because with their small bodies, and if you hit it, your chances of incapaciting it are very good. A rabbit? It will run until next Tuesday.

A pellet rifle or even pistol works ok on small game IF a good hit is made. I have four different pellet guns, a old Benjiman, which is my favorite, a fairly expensive Spanish Gamo with scope, a Chinese type that costs about 20 bucks, and a Chinese pistol that cost about 10 bucks. All can kill a rabbit or squirrel at a decent range except for the pistol that shoots crooked and has less power. I use it at close range on pocket gophers.

new topics

top topics

join