It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Massive Canadian melt may have triggered flood of biblical proportions

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 13 2010 @ 07:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by gnosticquasar
Yeah, it makes sense. And then through the generations it went from rapid sea-level rise to world-wide cover up by miles of water. Much the same way as when you play telephone.

Origins of Atlantis/Lemuria Myths Part-1

Mythology in my opinion is the result of nothing more than a giant game of telephone played by school children.....

By the time it gets to the end the last child reveals what was whispered in their ear most often it has very little similarity if any at all to what the first child whispered at the front of the line. Now imagine passing down a tale of a massive coastal flooding.....

posted on Dec, 15 2010 @ 09:00 AM
link   
I live in southern Manitoba in a region known as the Assiniboian Mountains. These highlands was the shoreline to Lake Agassiz, which broke during the Younger-Dryas event which was hypothesized as the event that kick started cultivation in the Fertile Crescent. When i drive north, i enter a flat area and i imagine the massive lake that would have occupied the space i'm driving through. It's neat knowing i'm living in the area that was the ground zero.
edit on 15-12-2010 by Mk4No1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 15 2010 @ 09:10 AM
link   
reply to post by WHOS READY

Before the flood,people lived for several hundred years.
After the flood, people had their life span shortened.
I think that the earth used to have a water barrier that
shielded the planet from uv rays from the sun.My humble
opinion.

posted on Dec, 15 2010 @ 01:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by weedwhacker
reply to post by Byrd

Still....pieces of a big puzzle, need someone to correlate the timeline....difficult, due to a lot of uncertainty, of course, of exact sequences and order of occurrence.

Nah. Just takes a bit of tracking down and looking at other similar floods -- like the one that created "The Scablands" at the end of the last Ice Age. Although massive, it didn't contribute more than an inch or so to the sea level rise (if that.)

Of course, the "legends" of all cultures, to include (I must emphasize) the over-simplistic children's story of "Noah" can serve as disparate clues, once one removes the emotional attachments that sometimes are associated with "religious" fables.

Folklore is something I love and study, and you really can't connect those well (I've been looking at some cladistic tools for them.) The Flood myths are not universal -- they're found in areas where you do get flooding, however... so the Inuit, for instance, don't have a Flood Myth nor do many others.

Archaeology, and the continued increase in technologies used to study the signs of ancient settlements found jsu toff the coasts, underwater, all will contribute. A rational, neutral clearing-house repository of all these discoveries, and a way to sort them as "improbable", "probable", "likely", etc could be useful.

They will, but I should tell you that except in a very few cases, almost none of the underwater settlements was submerged suddenly. The yearly increase in the ocean from the warming of the climate (25,000-10,000 years ago) was not that great... a scale of inches in most places. Feet in a few. You could walk away from the effects.

I don't know the timeline (might be way too ancient, pre-dating any Human histories) but the Straits of Gibraltar have always struck me a suspicious. Not that the Mediterranean formed immediately FROM that breach, but a possibility that the Sea was much smaller, and grew rapidly as a result of a fairly sudden widening of the gap, in the Straits.

Last I saw, the timeline was very long (a thousand years or more) -- which makes sense. If you look at the overall geography of the Scablands (the largest flood that there is any solid geological evidence for: en.wikipedia.org... ) a huge surge of drainage like that causes some very clear marks on the landscape. I wouldn't be surprised to find some settlements down there, but I think they will be consistent with the types of settlements we see elsewhere around the Mediterranean.

If you explore the maps on Christopher Scotese's wonderful Earth History Maps site, you'll see that the area has been a sea for quite some time: www.scotese.com... The maps are based on geological evidence and are the best understanding we have of how the Earth looked in different ages (in other words, you don't get limestone forming on dry ground since it's made up of the bodies of microscopic sea life. Nor do you get basalt forming in the ocean unless here's a volcano around.)

It would have changed, yes, during tens of thousands of years... rivers and lakes come and go (they're not permanent) but you can get some sense of what's going on.

I know that the Islands of Japan have some ingriguing underwater sites....we seem to be missing (or, I've never heard of) any reports form that other very old, long-lived culture, that also has a presence on the shores of oceans...China!

I've seen the evidence and I have a very hard time believing that a civilization would build structures with no doors and no windows and no chambers (which are the same stone as the rock they're sitting on.) Basalt does fracture columnarly ... I agree with the geologists (having seen other formations with my own eyes) that this one is geological and not anthropological in nature.

China, for what it's worth, has a long documented history that's at least as old as the Middle Eastern cultures. Folks just tend to ignore it.

posted on Dec, 15 2010 @ 01:40 PM
link   
reply to post by mamabeth

Sorry...that "water barrier" idea?

Straight out of Ken Hovind. It is utterly implausible, to include physically impossible.

Oh, and the "longer lifespan" meme? Pure legend, and according to scholars, based on mistranslations of many of the old texts. It is exactly the thing that has been discussed, though, about the mendacity of oral traditions...how they "evolved" and were "embellished" with each retelling.

posted on Dec, 18 2010 @ 04:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by Byrd

Originally posted by colin42
Perhaps yellow stone played a part in warming the glacier and forming the dam. Just a guess but whatever caused the Dam if it is the case I would think the effect of this would be global even before the dam wall broke.

The time sequence won't work there -- the last time Yellowstone was active was 640,000 years ago.
answers.yahoo.com...

May even explain why the area surrounding the pyramids turned from fertile to a desert.

The desert was already there, and began getting bigger about 5,000 years ago ... when goats were domesticated.

Not saying you are wrong but my pointing to yellowstone has nothing to do with a major eruption just a source of geothermic heat.

BTW a little diversion. I use to fish off Hastings. We had the top depth finder at the time 'Colour sounder' as we were into wreck fishing.

I found two holes that had almost vertical sides, were very deep compared to the flat ground around it. To get to the point when watching a doc on the scab lands the holes explained as being formed by rocks spinning in the flood i recall appeared to be exactly what I found of the shore of hastings. About 4 miles out.

They were both very small and deep so much so they were very hard to ankor up on and fish into but when we did they produced better than any wreck.
edit on 18-12-2010 by colin42 because: Hastings coast

posted on Mar, 10 2011 @ 07:31 PM
link   

posted on Mar, 10 2011 @ 09:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by SLAYER69
reply to post by WHOS READY

S & F

Adds more weight to the hypotheses I outlined earlier when I wrote the following two threads. Don't let the thread titles fool you. They are related.

Origins of Atlantis/Lemuria Myths Part-1

and

Origins of Atlantis/Lemuria Myths Part-2

I agree, if you research the subject of the Canadian ice shelves during the ice age you will find out alot about this ice dam breaking. Also did you know that around new york the ice sheet was a mile high and in northern canada it was 2 miles high, that is alot of trapped water. No wonder the ocean levels where so low. I've commented before on this, but the flood myths all around the planet have to do with the ice age meltdown and a massive release of water into the system.

posted on Mar, 10 2011 @ 09:39 PM
link   
reply to post by hoghead cheese

Here is something I put together for my next thread.

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/46dbdd5dafd9.gif[/atsimg]

posted on Mar, 10 2011 @ 10:23 PM
link   
reply to post by Mk4No1

Yours is the only sane comment I have read so far.

I saw on National Geography researchers explaining that as the massive Ice dam gave away all the waters from Lake Agassiz emptied in to Atlantic via Hudson Bay. as the water level rose so did the level of Mediterranean sea and finally the waters breached a rocky sill near Bosporus to form modern day black sea.

According to research it took about 1 full year for all the water from lake Agassiz to drain out because the ice dam will reform and then collapse again. It is also true that land was submerged due to rise in Atlantic water level.

(I can be wrong on this but if my memory is right it was also mentioned that about 1% of UK went under water and what was left formed present day UK)

The weird thing about this is that if you search it on internet nowhere you will find this theory in "one single place" only bits and pieces. My research is based upon countless hours spent in Toronto Reference Library in Canada.

Thanks

Live Long & Prosper.
or

Live a Full Life & Die Happy.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join