It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Decline of Christianity in America.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 12 2010 @ 06:04 PM
link   
Here is an article I came across that I think is worth sharing:

According to a stunning new survey by America's Research Group, 95 percent of 20 to 29 year old evangelicals attended church regularly during their elementary and middle school years. However, only 55 percent of them attended church regularly during high school, and only 11 percent of them were still regularly attending church when in college.

According to that survey, 15% of Americans now say they have "no religion" which is up from 8% in 1990.

That would be bad enough news for evangelical Christianity.

But there is some more news from that survey that is much worse.

In that same survey, 46% of Americans between the ages of 18 to 34 indicated that they had no religion.

However, Islam, Wicca and eastern religions such as Hinduism and Buddhism showed large gains in the survey.

Olson's research found that the percentage of Americans that regularly attend church is only 18.7%.

Source: Decline of Christianity in America

Christianity keeps hemorrhaging members. In the next few decades I seriously doubt America will be a majority Christian nation. Most will claim to be secular which wouldn't be a bad thing. Faith will probably move more into the private realm instead of vocal public announcement and coercion.

I also found this other article that is of interest The Coming Evangelical Collapse

posted on Dec, 12 2010 @ 06:15 PM
link   

Good news everyone..people are slowing coming to their senses.

I would think that islam is spiking up because of immigration and of course the fact that muslims are having 40 kids per household.

But, they will also fall in line with the growing trend of superstition loss.

Buddism, wiccan, etc...those are fad religions overall for people getting off of christianity..buddism may hold onto some. Ultimately people get tired of the abrahamic religions but still want something that makes them seek a deeper meaning, so try out some random religions and new age cults...typically resting in a sort of pseudo-spiritualist seeking with a bit of this and that cherry picked from random religions that they like.

posted on Dec, 12 2010 @ 06:19 PM
link   
Interesting. The survey taken by an Atheist with an agenda. Nah! That couldn't have swayed the survey in anyway shape or form, could it?

Regardless, this nation is still over 85% CHRISTIAN. I know this makes your blood boil but it's the truth. We ARE a Christian nation and will continue to be for a long while.

Why don't you throw in a survey of the resurgence of Conservative and Christian values in America? Church attendance is up 25%, sometimes more, in most parts of America. Everyone knows something big is about to happen. No one seems to know when or where it will happen. It just will. Call it Faith, if you will...

Did you not see the recent mid term elections that swept through the House? Christians won in landslides across the country.

I know this thread was only intended to show your want for Christians to just go away but let me assure you my friend: Christians are only uniting stronger, louder, and more politically powerful than since the Reagan years. Just watch your survey get blown away like dust come 2012.

My long winded reply is just simple really, your survey is swayed with a Leftist - Elitist tilt. It was probably taken on the campus of Berkley, no?

I just took a peek at the site you sourced from. It is nothing more then a "Doom and Gloom - Pro Islam - End of the World Blog", website...
edit on 12-12-2010 by NeverApologize because: What the deuce?

posted on Dec, 12 2010 @ 06:21 PM
link   
I have no doubt that in the end times Christians will become fewer and fewer in number. We will accept ever growing ridicule and scorn from the world. I can accept that in knowledge of the rewards to come....

posted on Dec, 12 2010 @ 06:23 PM
link   
reply to post by NeverApologize

Political Christianity is what is driving 19-29 year olds away from the faith. With a large gap of a generation moving away from Christianity it's sure to have an effect in the future.

posted on Dec, 12 2010 @ 06:34 PM
link   
I'm not really surprised. It's hard to find a place these days where Christianity isn't filled with politics or older people constantly nagging about how evil the world is.

posted on Dec, 12 2010 @ 06:35 PM
link   
Any decline in an ignorant and faith based belief system is never a bad thing.

~

posted on Dec, 12 2010 @ 07:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by NeverApologize
Interesting. The survey taken by an Atheist with an agenda. Nah! That couldn't have swayed the survey in anyway shape or form, could it?

I was trying to find out where you found an elitist atheist leftist sourced on the survey? Am I missing this or are you assuming based on your refusal to accept the statistics?

posted on Dec, 12 2010 @ 07:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by rogerstigers

I was trying to find out where you found an elitist atheist leftist sourced on the survey? Am I missing this or are you assuming based on your refusal to accept the statistics?

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/3e100699150b.jpg[/atsimg]

posted on Dec, 12 2010 @ 08:33 PM
link   

So much for reading the article, aye?

Regardless, this nation is still over 85% CHRISTIAN. I know this makes your blood boil but it's the truth. We ARE a Christian nation and will continue to be for a long while.

We were also a white slave owning nation. Things change

But, why does that matter anyhow. Stats show that in less than 100 years, the major religion (assuming people don't wise up) will be islam. Does that mean somehow islam is then right?

Why don't you throw in a survey of the resurgence of Conservative and Christian values in America? Church attendance is up 25%, sometimes more, in most parts of America.

Why don't you...
need time to make the graph first?
I heard attendance is down by 990% in some areas.
Nothing like sourceless statistics on the fly.

Everyone knows something big is about to happen.

everyone?
Hey, I am part of everyone...hmm...I dont know anything big is going to happen..well, besides I will one day die, like everyone else..oh, and england will never again win the world cup (call that a hunch)

No one seems to know when or where it will happen. It just will. Call it Faith, if you will...

Mind if I call it a neural disorder instead?

Did you not see the recent mid term elections that swept through the House? Christians won in landslides across the country.

I seen most of the social conservative tea party types lost..Christine..oh how fun you were in the limelight.
Reps who won: the ones that spoke mostly about jobs...jobs jobs jobs..and tada, those types won. Any whom shown some christian flare and retoric ended up jobless..Sorry Sarah, your midas touch is actually the touch of death politically

What does this have to do with politics anyhow?

I know this thread was only intended to show your want for Christians to just go away but let me assure you my friend: Christians are only uniting stronger, louder, and more politically powerful than since the Reagan years. Just watch your survey get blown away like dust come 2012.

This is like one of those second coming predictions..isn't it.
oh well, faith...and when it doesn't come to be, then blame it on demons or whatnot.

My long winded reply is just simple really, your survey is swayed with a Leftist - Elitist tilt. It was probably taken on the campus of Berkley, no?

lol...no...the survey was actually done by a concerned religious institution.

U fail

I just took a peek at the site you sourced from. It is nothing more then a "Doom and Gloom - Pro Islam - End of the World Blog", website...
edit on 12-12-2010 by NeverApologize because: What the deuce?

lol

The website motto:

We are a ministry committed to telling the world the truth about the last days before the coming of the Lord Jesus Christ.

dude, you better hope christianity is fake...else your making a bee-line to hell for lying, willful misrepresentations, and championing ignorance.

damn dude...see you in the south

edit on 12-12-2010 by SaturnFX because: meh

posted on Dec, 12 2010 @ 08:45 PM
link   

Was going to simply fix the above post, but decided to make a special little post about this lie independently to know how the true "Liars for Jesus" work

This is what is known as a source:
SOURCE
Click it...its full of things called facts and reality.

it is measured that christianity flavored religions account for 78.4% of America
and falling
Keep in mind also, christianity is diverse..
Below is a graph of the major different branches of christianity (each branch has hundreds upon hundreds of subsects of different traditions and interpretations
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/971f1cd3ee20.png[/atsimg]

now...

4.7% is other religions (buddist, jewish, islam, etc)

which means, the rest = non-religious, general flavor personal spirituality, athiest, agnostic, etc...aka, the reasonable
that percentage is: 16.1% (and growing)

posted on Dec, 12 2010 @ 09:21 PM
link   
Spengler covered this in "The Decline of the West"

The ancients believed in successive ages of decay, starting with the golden age, and descending through cycles of increasing cynicism, isolation and materialism. the iron age has seen the most violent and acquisitive time in history.

But that's only a foretaste of the coming Age of Lead, when humanity will be totally overwhelmed with materialism and self-interest, to the point where there will be no more families or larger institutions with any type of functionality. People will convince themselves that anyone with a desire for beauty or meaning is an enemy of reason.

Good luck.

posted on Dec, 17 2010 @ 11:44 AM
link   
reply to post by TinFoilHatMan55

Why would a grand-scale falling away or apostasy be bad news to Christians?? Any Christian with a elementary understanding of Eschatology would view a grand-scale falling away as reason for joy.

new topics

top topics

join