It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Virus warnings while surfing on ATS

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 12 2010 @ 11:45 PM
link   

t's good to be careful and aware, but yelling Wolf does not serve your cause

We are not "yelling wolf"- this is an actual problem obviously being experienced by multiple ATS members-

posted on Dec, 13 2010 @ 12:18 AM
link   
reply to post by Champagne

No, it's really my AVG, it just quarantines and removes it and notifies me. It's just annoying, is all.

posted on Dec, 13 2010 @ 03:11 AM
link   

Originally posted by aliengenes
use the adblocker plus add on for firefox

Hope no admins or mods read that.

posted on Dec, 13 2010 @ 07:26 AM
link   
A reminder

ATS Terms and Conditions

20b) Ad Blockers: As the Websites are provided as a free service, in part through the income of our advertising, you agree not to use "ad-blocking" software or similar built-in web browser options designed to obfuscate or block online advertising while using the Websites.

posted on Dec, 13 2010 @ 08:41 AM
link   
This is how you fix your virus problems:

1. download Ubuntu 10.04
2. burn it to cd as an ISO image
3. put it in your tray
4. restart your computer
5. follow the install prompts.

You will get rid of Windows, thus removing yourself from 99.99% of all viruses.

If you want to keep Windows, just get kaspersky. I use it. Haven't seen your warning using Kaspersky.

posted on Dec, 13 2010 @ 11:55 AM
link   
reply to post by neformore

If that warning is from one of the ad providers you use then why shouldn't that ad provider be blocked by the user? telling people to expose them selves to potential nastiness is not good.
edit on 13-12-2010 by aivlas because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 13 2010 @ 12:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by aivlas
reply to post by neformore

If that warning is from one of the ad providers you use then why shouldn't that ad provider be blocked by the user? telling people to expose them selves to potential nastiness is not good.
edit on 13-12-2010 by aivlas because: (no reason given)

Then don't come to this site. You agree to not block ads in the T and C.

posted on Dec, 13 2010 @ 12:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by neformore
A reminder

ATS Terms and Conditions

20b) Ad Blockers: As the Websites are provided as a free service, in part through the income of our advertising, you agree not to use "ad-blocking" software or similar built-in web browser options designed to obfuscate or block online advertising while using the Websites.

We understand this but this is getting a little out of hand on ATS isn't it? I just made the exact same thread only two or three days ago only to be poo pooed by the admin saying it "must be from something you picked up from e-mail it could not be ATS".

Is it time for ATS to start looking into this or not?

How many members complaining of the same thing does it take?

posted on Dec, 13 2010 @ 01:03 PM
link   
reply to post by Nutter

We are CONSTANTLY "Looking into it"... We pay a service to scan every ad that comes from the networks before it gets displayed. IF we get the needed details on an ad that is being served here that has malware in it from a member we remove it immediately. Unfortunately, like everything else humans create, the system is not perfect.

Apparently Google's Double Click net was duped into allowing a crook get his bogus ad up for a brief time. They claim it has been discovered and removed, so hopefully this is over. Nobody here ever said that ALL malware comes from email, what we said was 99.9% of it does and that stands true.

Out of the billions (trillions) of ad impressions served daily online there are very, very few that are malware. A scant few years ago that number was much higher but the networks are finally working hard to keep the scammers out of the system. It does nobody any good to allow bad ads.

Springer...
edit on 12-13-2010 by Springer because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 13 2010 @ 04:25 PM
link   
reply to post by Springer

Thank you for the explanation. ATS is one of the few places that I feel comfortable not getting a virus anymore. That is why I was worried to see others experiencing the same thing.

Kuddos for fixing it and "always looking into it".

edit on 13-12-2010 by Nutter because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 13 2010 @ 04:28 PM
link   

This is why i cannot stress enough that, for now, people should either go with Linux (Ubuntu is my build of choice) or install Kaspersky on their Windows machine.

What i like about kaspersky is that it just does its job, I hardly ever hear from it. It just does its thing in the background. Imagine my shock to find that I have accumulated 82 trojans....and not once did Kaspersky notify me.

The "virus notification" is most often used as a scam to make the user believe that their scanner is more effective than it really is. It is like an employee that broadcasts every little task they do. Those are the ones that usually do the least.

posted on Dec, 13 2010 @ 04:33 PM
link   

Thank you - as for myself I don't even think what happened to me came from ATS - the second time it happened to me I had already clicked off ATS. Its just that we all spend a lot of time here and if something gets thru our systems we might want to blame the website we are on. I hope I didn't come across that way in the beginning.

posted on Dec, 13 2010 @ 04:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by Springer
reply to post by Nutter

We are CONSTANTLY "Looking into it"... We pay a service to scan every ad that comes from the networks before it gets displayed. .
edit on 12-13-2010 by Springer because: (no reason given)

Then you're getting ripped off. Viral ads on ATS has been a problem for a long time now and all we keep hearing is that it's being looked at, as well as some not-so-friendly reminders that it's against ATS policy to use pop-up blockers.

This is one of the only forums I visit where the MODs seem to be in constant conflict with the members regarding this topic. Every time this topic is brought up and you guys respond, I get the distinct impression that it's a VERY touchy subject.

posted on Dec, 13 2010 @ 05:17 PM
link   
reply to post by Blarneystoner

I was notified while looking through the forums yesterday I was getting a virus by Norton. This is the second time this has happened to me here. It locked my computer right up. I went right out and ran the antivirus program. I do not ever clicks on the ads on this site. I did notify a moderator and filed a complaint.

posted on Dec, 13 2010 @ 05:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by Iamherefornow
reply to post by Blarneystoner

I was notified while looking through the forums yesterday I was getting a virus by Norton. This is the second time this has happened to me here. It locked my computer right up. I went right out and ran the antivirus program. I do not ever clicks on the ads on this site. I did notify a moderator and filed a complaint.

I feel like i am talking to no one here.

Norton and McAfee are junk. They will not protect you from the worst that is out there as their labs are well known screw ups (remember the McAfee issue a few months ago?).

They are both made by the same company (Symantec). They both suck. Don't use them. If you are going to spend money, spend it on Kaspersky. If you want free, use Komodo.

All Norton and McAfee do is warn you about every sniffle and sneeze, just so you perceive them to be doing their jobs.

posted on Dec, 13 2010 @ 05:39 PM
link   
reply to post by bigfatfurrytexan

Have a lovely day....

edit on 13-12-2010 by Blarneystoner because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 13 2010 @ 05:45 PM
link   
Boing! There it was again. Right now and in this thread. And again I see the Warcraft ad.

I tried to find out, what this "Malware" does, if it is any, but I found as many answers as questions. One guy said, it tries to redirect the browser to another link. Luckily it is gone, when I press "delete".

posted on Dec, 13 2010 @ 05:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by bigfatfurrytexan

1. download Ubuntu 10.04
3. put it in your tray
4. restart your computer

Windows/Linux Alternative option:

Article: install Mint on netbook using virtualclonedrive for those who want to try Linux on a system minus an optical drive. Puts Linux into your Windows Software Packages. This is NOT a dual boot suggestion and does not alter the Windows OS. For those who want to use Ubuntu, the directions are at the bottom of the article as it's not quite the same as Mint installation. Easy peasy. No more issues. Link

posted on Dec, 13 2010 @ 07:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by bigfatfurrytexan

1. download Ubuntu 10.04
3. put it in your tray
4. restart your computer

If you want to keep Windows, just get kaspersky. I use it. Haven't seen your warning using Kaspersky.

That does not stop the fake anti virus from running there fake check or giving you problems.
My computer is duel boot Ubuntu and XP.
I get the Antivirus 2010 doing its thing on my computer almost weekly.
the joke is it tries to tell me that i have more infections on my linux drive (drive D) then i have on my Xp drive.(drive C)

There is a couple things you can do to block these fake antivirus sites first is to unplug your modem when one pops up then right click and copy the web address. delete the antivirus program and paste the address into your ad-block program.

My security suite is good and while the fake virus test will run it can not leave behind malware.

posted on Dec, 13 2010 @ 08:13 PM
link   
reply to post by ANNED

I would be willing to bet that it only runs when you boot into Windows. From your Ubuntu partition you likely get nothing of the sort.

As well, you likely have no viral infections on your Ubuntu image. They just don't waste time writing codes for Linux in general (except maybe some of the more popular server builds) for the simple fact that they would have to write a new virus for each "breed" of Linux out there.

You may occassionally run into something...but it will be very rare. I "administer" 15 different machines that run Ubuntu, all for at least the past year (some for as long as 2 years). Not a single infection on any of them. Had to do 1 reimage. since i had put my "home" folder in a partitioned directory, the reinstall brought me back to my exact same configuration within 20 minutes. Working like a champ. Even the browser history.

Nothing can happen to my Ubuntu machine, OS wise, that I cannot fix with a quick and simple "nuke and pave".

Why run dual boot? Is there something that you want to run that you can't wrap in WINE? I even run Photoshop CS3 in a WINE wrapper on my Ubuntu machine
edit on 13-12-2010 by bigfatfurrytexan because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join