It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Mystery monster crocodile at large in Australia.

page: 5
<< 2  3  4   >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 15 2010 @ 05:04 AM
link   
reply to post by Kailassa

Gosh Kailassa, If I were you that experience would have left a very bitter taste in my mouth. Reading your post has made me feel angry in sympathy.

I gather that jellyfish stings are excruciatingly painful and (unless the power of prayer has an analgesic effect) the whole episode sounds agonizing.

I'm meandering a bit off topic here, but is it true that the duck billed platypus has a spur on it's hind legs which it uses to inflict a venom which is said to cause the worst pain known to man?

posted on Dec, 15 2010 @ 08:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by Silver Star

Gosh Kailassa, If I were you that experience would have left a very bitter taste in my mouth. Reading your post has made me feel angry in sympathy.

I gather that jellyfish stings are excruciatingly painful and (unless the power of prayer has an analgesic effect) the whole episode sounds agonizing.

I'm meandering a bit off topic here, but is it true that the duck billed platypus has a spur on it's hind legs which it uses to inflict a venom which is said to cause the worst pain known to man?

What does "angry in sympathy" mean?? Power of prayer does not have any analgesic effect.

It is my understanding that only the males have the hind leg spur.

posted on Dec, 15 2010 @ 08:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by amc621
What does "angry in sympathy" mean?? Power of prayer does not have any analgesic effect.

It just sounded that this person had been through a rough situation and was not treated particularly well. I was trying to show a bit of empathy with that comment.

Yes, you are correct. I had a look and only the males have the hind leg spur. Good old wikipedia also states that the venom causes pain that is unresponsive even to morphine!

I'm not sure what would be the scarier prospect - being stalked by a giant crocodile or a duck billed platypus!

posted on Dec, 15 2010 @ 11:24 AM
link   

Originally posted by amc621
What does "angry in sympathy" mean??

To me it means empathising with someone who was ill-treated.

Power of prayer does not have any analgesic effect.

To me, Silver Star's mention of power of prayer sounded like a suitably cynical condemnation of people who would pray for a kid rather than get her medical help.

Correct. Some think its use is for fighting off rival males.

posted on Dec, 15 2010 @ 11:48 AM
link   

Not really. I already knew most adults were awfully dumb. What mattered was the 5 teenage girl strangers I was bunking with, who tried to get help, and then ignored the supervisers' threats and coached me all afternoon to keep awake and keep pushing my chest up and down. And I learned a bit more of what I was capable of.

It was like falling into blackberries at first, I thought I'd been caught up in prickly seaweed, and then like repeated jolts of electricity.

Prayer doesn't alleviate pain but I can tell you one thing that does.
Let go all your fear of your pain, so you can relax completely.
Then, enter into your pain without fear, until you are not aware of anything but.
Let yourself be drawn to the centre, and you find a place, like the eye of a hurricane, where the pain just becomes a fact, and not something terrible.

It helps if you have practiced meditation or endurance sports.

The males do have a spur that deals a non-lethal venom apparently designed to incapacitate through pain rather than to kill.

However it's only the worst pain known to man because men don't undergo childbirth.

posted on Dec, 15 2010 @ 12:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by Kailassa
What mattered was the 5 teenage girl strangers I was bunking with, who tried to get help, and then ignored the supervisers' threats and coached me all afternoon to keep awake and keep pushing my chest up and down. And I learned a bit more of what I was capable of.

It sounds like a very frightening experience. They say that whatever doesn't kill you makes you stronger - well, you sure tested out that little adage. I'm horrified by the attitude of the supervisors. Did they underestimate the seriousness of the situation, or were they content to leave your survival down to God's will?

Then, enter into your pain without fear, until you are not aware of anything but.
Let yourself be drawn to the centre, and you find a place, like the eye of a hurricane, where the pain just becomes a fact, and not something terrible.

I have heard similar from other people who have experienced protracted bouts of chronic pain. I will mark your words I can assure you, because if (heaven forbid) I find myself in abject agony, It would serve me well to remember the advice of somebody who knows what they're talking about.

However it's only the worst pain known to man because men don't undergo childbirth.

Haha! Not a day goes by when I don't count my lucky stars that I'm a man - we've got it sweet!

posted on Dec, 15 2010 @ 02:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by Kailassa
What mattered was the 5 teenage girl strangers I was bunking with, who tried to get help, and then ignored the supervisers' threats and coached me all afternoon to keep awake and keep pushing my chest up and down. And I learned a bit more of what I was capable of.

It sounds like a very frightening experience. They say that whatever doesn't kill you makes you stronger - well, you sure tested out that little adage. I'm horrified by the attitude of the supervisors. Did they underestimate the seriousness of the situation, or were they content to leave your survival down to God's will?

I'd guess they were just too lazy to come to the cabin and preferred to disbelieve my bunk-mates and keep stuffing themselves with the fantastic lunch the leaders were provided with.
Later, when I confronted them with my friends and they saw the red ropy weals all over me they acted all sanctimonious and claimed credit for my recovery.

I have heard similar from other people who have experienced protracted bouts of chronic pain. I will mark your words I can assure you, because if (heaven forbid) I find myself in abject agony, It would serve me well to remember the advice of somebody who knows what they're talking about.

I hope you'll never need the advice, but remember, if things ever look unbearable, a human has immense untapped resources within. We're a species which has survived against great odds, and we each have inherited the qualities that enabled that survival.

Haha! Not a day goes by when I don't count my lucky stars that I'm a man - we've got it sweet!

I was joking really. Motherhood can be worth it. But if I had to choose today between childbirth and platypus spur I'd choose the platypus without a thought.

posted on Dec, 15 2010 @ 10:52 PM
link   
Hmm I wish someone had better pictures
of this thing

posted on Dec, 16 2010 @ 10:27 AM
link   
reply to post by flyingfish

That thing looks like it could swallow the combi van in one gulp.

Even Crocodile Dundee would run from that tank.

posted on Dec, 22 2010 @ 06:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by heffo7
That is huge! Reminds me of Lake Placid

Surprise we got to page 3 without Lake Placid being mentioned.

Great thread. Will keep my eye on future news

posted on Dec, 22 2010 @ 06:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by GhostLancer

Consider the account of local fisherman Clint Spry who claims that he saw the creature and it's tail alone was the length of his boat - a whopping 3.8 metres. He took a photo for posterity:

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/5704125e85b8.jpg[/atsimg]

Hmmmmmmmm.... Something about the photo seems Photoshopped to me. The lower part of the dark area, the way it meets the water... It seems as if the image was added on top of the background. I'm not accusing anyone of a hoax or intentionally making false claims. The photo is there, and everyone has their opinion. I am a graphic artist/designer and have worked with Photoshop since version 3. I would not call myself one of the Photoshop "masters" because those are the guys and gals who actually create and update the program, and even THEY specialize in certain areas of Photoshop.

Photoshop is so diverse in capability and versatile, it is more of a "Frontier" than a mere software program. That being said, I have many years experience in Photoshop, and something about the image seems "not right."

However, I do have an open mind and can't discount it altogether. I'd say, for me, there is an 85% chance that it has been manipulated or doctored in some fashion. Again, just my opinion, and certainly not the final authority nor the last opinion to be sure. Just my take as a professional graphic artist/designer who works with adobe software, especially Photoshop on a daily basis.

Further, I do hope that this isn't a hoax because the thought of a huge alligator/croc out there just makes the world that much more mysterious and enchanting. I think that as a species, we *need* our monsters.

Not all images look what we perceive to be natural. Buy a cheap camera and run about taking shots for a day. You'll have plenty of images that seem unrealistic in some capacity.

I see your point, the image doesn't look 'right', that doesn't mean it's been altered though.

posted on May, 3 2011 @ 04:07 PM
link   
If you want to try and raise one yourself, I recently learned that a baby alligator and cage sells for under a hundred. With some growth hormones, who knows how large you could see them become? I'd recommend a cow instead ... eating grass, providing milk, and much less provocative in the long run. If I owned one, I'm vegetarian, so it would also have a nice burial at the end of its days, if I out-lived her, sort of like a family dog. Unless I owned the alligator as well!

posted on May, 4 2011 @ 04:13 AM
link   
reply to post by Silver Star

It's possible. Gustave, the Nile croc that is so massive, is about 20 feet long. 8 meters would be about 28 feet, and the salties do get bigger. Hope they can get some video (safely!!) - would be awesome to see (on video, anyway!!).

posted on May, 4 2011 @ 04:15 AM
link   

Originally posted by Casing
See that just reenforces my fear of water
I refuse to get in water that I cannot see what is around me!

Whats it called in Louisiana? Toodling? (I think that is a style of fishing-ahhh cant remember!!!) Anyway... Whole new ball game with that one!
edit on 12-12-2010 by Casing because: spelling

Noodling, where they catch catfish with their bare hands. Nuts, if you ask me! Agreed, too - I don't like being in water that I can't see clearly in! Will stick with pools. Lived several years in Florida, and the local news was, several times a year, showing stories of gator and shark attacks. Regular, normal thing. Add jellyfish and the like, and I will stay in a boat!

posted on May, 4 2011 @ 12:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by Northwarden
If you want to try and raise one yourself, I recently learned that a baby alligator and cage sells for under a hundred. With some growth hormones, who knows how large you could see them become?

In the unlikely event that I would want to raise one of these creatures, I doubt that growth hormones alone would create a satisfactory monstrosity. I suspect that these hormones would stimulate only muscle tissue growth - resulting in an ungainly beast, of no great length, burdened by overdeveloped muscles that it's heart would be hard put to provide with oxygen.

However, If you could find a baby reptile with a genetic abnormality causing distension of it's skeletal structure (kind of like a reptilian version of gigantism).... and if you had a plentiful supply of growth hormone tablets to stick in it's dinner... then you could be in business.

But yes! A giant cow would be preferable in every set of circumstances!

posted on May, 4 2011 @ 08:52 PM
link   
reply to post by flyingfish

that's not seriously real is it
if so...sweet fancy moses if i ever saw something like that in person I would need fresh underwear

posted on May, 4 2011 @ 09:07 PM
link   
There is currently a 5 meter croc at the wildlife centre in Darling Harbour (Sydney) effectionately known as Rex,
i visited there two weeks ago he is awesome.
If i remember correctly his age was estimated at 40 with another 20 years life expectancy, and could possibly reach 6 meters. There is also another biggie at the reptile park near Gosford, not quite as big as Rex.

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4   >>

join