It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Mystery monster crocodile at large in Australia.

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+12 more 
posted on Dec, 12 2010 @ 07:53 AM
link   
A saltwater crocodile 5 metres in length is considered big.

A croc 6 metres in length would be classified as a giant.

So imagine the nightmarish proportions of the 8 - 9 metre crocodile rumoured to be currently swimming around the waterways of Normanton, Australia!

The actual existence of this reptilian behemoth is somewhat controversial. So far, the beast has only offered up tantalizing glimpses of itself. Clues as to it's gigantic size have come in the form of massive footprints and 'croc slides' on the muddy riverbanks.

From these markings, Normantons town pastor Elton Thompson (investigator-in-chief of the elusive reptile), has deduced that this is indeed an epic animal - speculating that it could be AT LEAST 8 metres in length!

Consider the account of local fisherman Clint Spry who claims that he saw the creature and it's tail alone was the length of his boat - a whopping 3.8 metres. He took a photo for posterity:

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/5704125e85b8.jpg[/atsimg]

A crocodile of this size, although highly unusual, is not altogether unprecedented. In the same area in the 1950's, a Polish woman shot and killed an animal reputedly 8.63 metres in length - a world record.

An effigy of the so-called 'Savannah King' still menacingly stands in Normanton and (although in all honesty it's a crap statue) it's dimensions are said to be accurate:

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/d1aa7b518cab.jpg[/atsimg]

Elton Thompson is claiming that the modern day monster is "at least as big, if not bigger" than the Savannah King!

Yikes! Where's Crocodile Dundee when you need him?

I'd be interested to see what comes of this. Links, more snaps (pun intended), sources e.t.c...

www.couriermail.com.au...

www.couriermail.com.au...

posted on Dec, 12 2010 @ 12:21 PM
link   
Holy crap, I can't believe no one has given this thread any attention. That is MASSIVE. 26 ft long, the foot print measures at least 9 inches across. Holy moly.

Australia is the land of the lost LOL.

posted on Dec, 12 2010 @ 12:29 PM
link   
He is a ripper,few handbags there.

Yep we got it all,big crocs,big sharks,big snakes,big spiders!

posted on Dec, 12 2010 @ 12:36 PM
link   
See that just reenforces my fear of water
I refuse to get in water that I cannot see what is around me!

Whats it called in Louisiana? Toodling? (I think that is a style of fishing-ahhh cant remember!!!) Anyway... Whole new ball game with that one!
edit on 12-12-2010 by Casing because: spelling

posted on Dec, 12 2010 @ 01:00 PM
link   
That thing is huge, hopefully it's real and if so I don't want to hear about some hillbilly's killing the thing. If only Steve Irwin was still around, I'd love to hear his take on this beast. His excitement for animals was contagious, about 10 years ago or so he single-handedly reignited my love for reptiles, off topic I know, sorry.

posted on Dec, 12 2010 @ 01:05 PM
link   
Sadly we will end up killing it and, as someone else said, we will be making loads of handbags out of it.......

8-9 m is a big bugger, Nature never ceases to amaze (and frighten me)

PDUK

posted on Dec, 12 2010 @ 01:26 PM
link   
I wish some brave soul would have a go at capturing it (hopefully they don't kill the thing in the process) because I would love to see some good pictures and videos of the creature. Yeah, this would definitely have a been a job for Steve Irwin.

If it truly is as big as people have estimated, then it would indeed be a genuine 'river monster'.

posted on Dec, 12 2010 @ 01:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by Silver Star
I wish some brave soul would have a go at capturing it (hopefully they don't kill the thing in the process) because I would love to see some good pictures and videos of the creature. Yeah, this would definitely have a been a job for Steve Irwin.

If it truly is as big as people have estimated, then it would indeed be a genuine 'river monster'.

Might be nice but where the hell would they keep it??
We have croc farms but I doubt they are designed to keep something that big in...and he would eat the other crocs..

Nah, sadly he will be hunted and killed eventually..

posted on Dec, 12 2010 @ 01:37 PM
link   
Pity crocodiles don't have rings, so you can count how many years they've lived.

edit on 12/12/10 by Kailassa because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 12 2010 @ 02:21 PM
link   
reply to post by Kailassa

Alright Mate - (I mean mate as in the Australian usage, and not in the sense of pair-bonding.)

There is currently no reliable way of measuring crocodile age, although several techniques can be used to derive a reasonable guess. The most common method is to measure lamellar growth rings in bones and teeth - each ring corresponds to a change in growth rate which typically occurs once a year between dry and wet seasons.

PDUK

posted on Dec, 12 2010 @ 02:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by PurpleDog UK
reply to post by Kailassa

Alright Mate - (I mean mate as in the Australian usage, and not in the sense of pair-bonding.)

There is currently no reliable way of measuring crocodile age, although several techniques can be used to derive a reasonable guess. The most common method is to measure lamellar growth rings in bones and teeth - each ring corresponds to a change in growth rate which typically occurs once a year between dry and wet seasons.

PDUK

Yep, well you can be the one that puts his hand in that guys mouth, lol..
I'll hold the camera..

posted on Dec, 12 2010 @ 02:27 PM
link   
reply to post by backinblack

backinblack

Nope , I ''double Dare'' you ...

PDUK

posted on Dec, 12 2010 @ 02:36 PM
link   
This is a direct result of the IRS hassling Crocodile Dundee, so he cant do his job properly. Its a conspiracy I tell you.

I say we catch it and feed it IRS agents. Two birds , one stone.

P.S. I come from N.Z. where we have nothing cool that can eat you. Except maybe the Maoris up north.

posted on Dec, 12 2010 @ 03:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by thedeadtruth

That's the best idea I've heard in quite a while. Hopefully there are bigger crocs since there are a buttload of IRS agents that need to be fed to them. Hell, we'll turn the bugger into Godzilla by the time we're done feeding it with alphabet agents! Don't forget after we're done with IRS, there's DHS, BATFE, DEA, FBI....the list is long as hell so hope there are some mighty hungry crocs there!

posted on Dec, 12 2010 @ 03:55 PM
link   
reply to post by bigern

You would to hear his take on the beast? I would of loved to see him take on the beast

2nd line

posted on Dec, 12 2010 @ 03:59 PM
link   

This is a direct result of the IRS hassling Crocodile Dundee, so he cant do his job properly. Its a conspiracy I tell you.

P.S. I come from N.Z. where we have nothing cool that can eat you. Except maybe the Maoris up north.

You can't do that..!!!
It's OUR croc so it gets to eat OUR ATO guys..(Australian Tax Office)

Go out and find a monster Bear or a Big Foot for the IRS..

posted on Dec, 12 2010 @ 04:23 PM
link   
reply to post by bigern

haha man here in Aus we dont have hillbillies, or rednecks for that matter. We have bogans and ferals, and steve, well he was kinda a bogan (r.i.p) He was an awesome animal activist and wildlife warrier thats for sure!! love steve.

:p but theres no hillbillies
plus where it is is probably heaps remote, Northern Territory is my guess dunno, will look it up when I wake up more. My dad lives up in remote NT, and they get some pretty big crocs, the towns pet croc is longer then a ute.... and the kids walk up to it and pat it.. so yerr.

posted on Dec, 12 2010 @ 04:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by backinblack

You can't do that..!!!
It's OUR croc so it gets to eat OUR ATO guys..(Australian Tax Office)

Go out and find a monster Bear or a Big Foot for the IRS..

Don't be selfish! Once you've fed your alphabet agencies, there are plenty more to feed. I'm guessing there isn't a country on Terra Firma who doesn't have a ready supply of alphabet bastards just waiting to be tossed in those jaws!

posted on Dec, 12 2010 @ 04:55 PM
link   
reply to post by Silver Star

Reminds me of Gustave. Enjoy this read:
en.wikipedia.org...

posted on Dec, 12 2010 @ 05:25 PM
link   
reply to post by Casing

Hello Casing.... hate to break it to ya, but they call it 'noodling' and its done in Oklahoma... cause if you fiddled around in Louisana's waters, you might come up missing half an arm to a alligator gar or worse, a real alligator! Lived there for a time, and always told my hubbie to be good, or he'd wake up tied to a rock with a steak around his neck next to a canal. Kept him in line!

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join