It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Lula Defends WikiLeaks, Offers Brazil Solidarity

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 9 2010 @ 08:53 PM
link   

Lula Defends WikiLeaks, Offers Brazil

www.bloomberg.com

Brazilian President Luiz Inacio Lula da Silva defended Julian Assange, founder of the WikiLeaks.org website that published more than 250,000 of U.S. diplomatic cables sent to or from embassies around the world.

Lula, a former union leader, said Assange did less harm than the classified documents’ authors, and offered his “solidarity” with the jailed Australian national.

“I’m surprised they arrested the man and I didn’t see any protest,” Lula said at an event today in Brasilia. “The guy was just posting what he read.”
(visit the link for the full news article)

edit on 9/12/10 by Faiol because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 9 2010 @ 08:53 PM
link   
Thats one of the first of the "leaders" to talk something positive about wikileaks and assange and actually protest against his arrest.

Lets see who else will step up against this censorship by US government.

He talks in his speech about the press and how important they are and wikileaks is no different than that.

The video can be watched on this link below
www.youtube.com...

www.bloomberg.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Dec, 9 2010 @ 09:02 PM
link   
Brazil is in the process of eradicating corruption in its own Government, and in August of this year passed a huge anti-corruption bill.

planetsave.com...

Bravo Brazil!

posted on Dec, 9 2010 @ 09:08 PM
link   
It is my understanding that Lula is part of Latin America's confident resurgence in the world. It is good to have such a powerful and charismatic person on one's side!

posted on Dec, 9 2010 @ 09:11 PM
link   
Lula is brave enough to say something to support Julian in this very special situations...

posted on Dec, 9 2010 @ 09:23 PM
link   
reply to post by Faiol

Julian and Wikileaks seem to be gathering support from many important figures..

It is really focusing attention on the US and the way it has twisted this saga and what influence it is prepared to use to it's own end..
I can only imagine the pressure they must have exerted on Sweden and the UK in order to have Interpol and Scotland Yard involved in such a minor offence where all Sweden wanted was to question Julian..

Also, what did the US use to influence the court so it refused bail..???
Face it, murderers sometimes get bail..
Julian was facing at worst a fine of $750.....

posted on Dec, 10 2010 @ 07:22 AM
link   
reply to post by backinblack

they have no case against assange, somebody posted a blog here on ATS showing the "deleted" messages on its twitter from the assange accuser ...

its just horrible, the girl probably was raped by someone but its trying to put it on someone else

posted on Dec, 10 2010 @ 05:14 PM
link   
Minister for Foreign Relations Celso Amorin, also sees "persecution" on Assange and Wikileaks' case...

g1.globo.com...

“Não há dúvida de que há uma perseguição.... E eu sou a favor da total liberdade de informação. Se alguém feriu a lei de segurança lá dos Estados Unidos, é um problema dos Estados Unidos interno. Agora, a divulgação não pode ser cerceada.

Translation
"There's no doubt there is persecution... And I'm in total favor of freedom of information. If someone broke security law in the US, it is an internal problem of the US. Now, release of information can not be hamstrung."

This will be fun to watch.

Peace

top topics

join