It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

WWII rifles. Are they still viable?

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 9 2010 @ 06:12 PM
link   
reply to post by LannisterGold

The German 7.92 X 57 (Mauser) was very effective for the German sniper.

Scoutsniper

posted on Dec, 9 2010 @ 06:12 PM
link   
Looks like overall the WWII guns are gems, lots of companies are coming out with re-designed (or updated if you will) modles from WWII, minor changes but the guns are pretty much the same. And Im not talking about the cheap junk coming from most over sea's companies.

posted on Dec, 9 2010 @ 06:17 PM
link   
reply to post by Frogs

The M-1 "military ammo" has a thicker base to the shell case. Military ammo uses crimped bullets and primers. US military ammo crimps the primer all the way around. Foreign made crimps the primer at three positions around the case. Any standard 30.06 made after about 1982-1983 will not allow M-1 ammo to chamber due to this feature. The ejector will not compass the base of the case unless modified. The M-1 can fire any 30.06 round. Found that out the "hard way".

Scoutsniper

posted on Dec, 9 2010 @ 06:18 PM
link   
reply to post by Patrioitinsheepclothing

CMP in Anniston Alabama has a very good inventory of M-1s.

Scoutsniper

posted on Dec, 9 2010 @ 06:23 PM
link   
reply to post by Onet Wosix

The MG-42 is what our M-60 is designed after. There are many other fine weapons using the same design. The Mauser (7.92 X 57) "bolt" design is what the Remingon 700 is designed after.

Scoutsniper

posted on Dec, 9 2010 @ 06:25 PM
link   
Many posters have already answered your question...But I have a bit to add as well.

MOST WW2 guns use the same technology that is used today in repeating arms, bolt action rifles, and shotguns. Their designs, by and large, are still useful today. There are exceptions to this rule: The MKII SMG is a piece of crap. It was then and it is now.
edit on 9-12-2010 by projectvxn because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 9 2010 @ 06:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by AnteBellum
M1911

2nd

Agggrrgh! I can't believe I forgot about it.

Excellent weapon today as it was back in 1911. There is a reason why it was *the* sidearm of the US forces up until the mid 80's and is still in use by many law enforcement and special forces groups today.

Its just a fine weapon all the way around.

posted on Dec, 9 2010 @ 06:36 PM
link   
reply to post by ANNED

Thanks for the warning, the garand is my first choice.

posted on Dec, 9 2010 @ 06:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by HappilyEverAfter
I have a 30/40 krag original mint condition and I'd love to know what it's worth, I know it fires well, I never take it out of storage it was my granfathers, my father is 83, so you get an idea of how old it is.

i have a well used, altered krag that was passed down from my grandfather to my father, to me. Ive killed more deer than both of them combined with it. finest action ever built and the first cartridged sniper rifle produced for service, plus it has more safety features built into it than any gun ever produced.

eventually i will modernize it and put a fresh button rifled bull barrel on it, and create a more custom designed stock. and put some optics on it and i should do just fine. too bad it wasnt designed as a 3 lug system like the mauser, but what it is is perfection for a sideloading sniper weapon.
my grand father cut 4" inches off the barrel, so now it looks like an anschutz , but still shoots like a dream.

it was built by Springfield in 1900, burnt stamped right on the stock
edit on 9-12-2010 by aliengenes because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 9 2010 @ 06:43 PM
link   

I have a 30/40 krag original mint condition and I'd love to know what it's worth, I know it fires well, I never take it out of storage it was my granfathers, my father is 83, so you get an idea of how old it is. [/quote

by the way? if your krag is still in arsenal mint condition its worth $1,800 and up.

DO NOT SELL IT

posted on Dec, 9 2010 @ 06:43 PM
link   
reply to post by projectvxn

That would be the "British Sten" and you sir are correct.

Scoutsniper

posted on Dec, 9 2010 @ 06:46 PM
link   
Yep, they are. German Mausers that were captured in the thousands by the Soviets and given away to Communist countries are still turning up. Not to mention their own weapons (PPsH, for example).

posted on Dec, 9 2010 @ 06:48 PM
link   
reply to post by scoutsniper

I've had quite a bit of hands on experience with a few WW2 era weapons. Many of the SMG's made in America were great weapons... I don't know what's wrong with the British, but they can't seem to build a gun worth a crap...

This goes back to the Revolutionary War when we started using rifled muskets and created the progenitor of the modern bullet to boot. They were still using smooth bore muskets with round ball ammo, and it's not as if the technology was unavailable to the Brits..

The Enfield #4, a decent gun for the era(WW2 for those who don't know), is one of the most successful British rifles of all time, and it's not even that great...

posted on Dec, 9 2010 @ 06:53 PM
link   
reply to post by Patrioitinsheepclothing

That's mostly being done with the M1. The M1 SOCOM retails between 1700 and 2200 bucks and they are mechanically no different than their older counterparts. But it sure is a pretty gun.

posted on Dec, 9 2010 @ 07:02 PM
link   

I had an enfield #5 jungle carbine, but like a dumbass i traded it.
although i made a really hefty profit on my dragunav, i should have kept it as well

posted on Dec, 9 2010 @ 07:09 PM
link   
reply to post by aliengenes

You gave away(sold in this case is the same thing) your Dragunov!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sacrilege!

posted on Dec, 9 2010 @ 07:18 PM
link   

the dragunav was a really cool wall hanger and i did kill a few deer with it, but i learned it was too heavy to lug around, and for the $5000 i was paid, i could buy more precision on a lighter frame for wayyyyy less

posted on Dec, 9 2010 @ 10:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by aliengenes

I have a 30/40 krag original mint condition and I'd love to know what it's worth, I know it fires well, I never take it out of storage it was my granfathers, my father is 83, so you get an idea of how old it is. [/quote

by the way? if your krag is still in arsenal mint condition its worth $1,800 and up.

DO NOT SELL IT

Thank you,
it is, and I wont, ever, I promised my father.

posted on Dec, 9 2010 @ 10:24 PM
link   
reply to post by JDBlack

Maybe said already, but first identify how you would use such a gun. A 30.06 is too long to think about using inside a building, but it easily has a 500-yard range. A .30cal. carbine is n nifty little gun well-suited for within a house if no handgun is handy and less recoil than an .'06. Effective range is about 300 yards. Since you don't know guns, visit a few gun shops and get an education or check out fun forums on-line. It just may save your life!

posted on Dec, 9 2010 @ 10:45 PM
link   
buy yourself a mosin nagant carbine. they're cheap and reliable and you can afford to feed it. ammo is really cheap when you buy it by the case and its more powerful than a 308. this is why the russians never got rid of that round, it was developed in 1851 and is still in service to this day, plus you can rattle 308 projectiles down the barrel with a lil superglue to seal them up in the field....lol

Remington made hundreds of thousands of them for the czar but most of them remained in the US.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join