It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Population overload and 2012: The point of no return

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 9 2010 @ 12:53 PM
link   
The 20th century saw a rapid increase in human population due to medical advances and a massive increase in agricultural productivity. Currently, even with our exploding numbers, we’ve managed to keep pace with the worldwide population explosion. We’re almost certainly encouraging a dramatic increase.

The National Research Institute regarding Food and Nutrition conducted a study comparing the relationship between food, property, our population, and the U.S. Economy; compared to the maximum number of U.S. citizens we can maintain, considering the minimum sustainable environment. We only have a 200 million person (maximum carrying capacity). To achieve a sustainable environment and avert absolute disaster, the United States must reduce its population by at least one-third; at the same time, the entire world’s population will have to be immediately reduced by a minimum of two-thirds.

This relationship known as (the maximum carrying capacity) of a civilization is not a theory, but a fact. We’re exceeding the limitations of this equation. This agricultural crisis will likely begin to impact us as soon as 2020; although, it may not become critical until 2050. This will most definitely be the cause for our extinction as a species at some point in the future. The food crisis will start a chain of events in motion that will snowball into a metaphoric avalanche.

Do you think the government has a plan to save themselves?
Can anyone disagree, and claim it's going to be alright?
Why are we consciously allowing this to happen?
Are we an extraterrestrial crop; ripe for harvest?

edit on 9-12-2010 by Howtosurvive2012 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 9 2010 @ 12:59 PM
link   
new technology will save us...
Worked out so far..

Giant biospheres with green stuff in barren land and out on oceans..
Better saltwater to freshwater factories..
Gardens on top of every building
Electricity generated by water and air and sun

Just some of the things they are looking into

posted on Dec, 9 2010 @ 01:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by Vandalour
new technology will save us...
Worked out so far..

Giant biospheres with green stuff in barren land and out on oceans..
Better saltwater to freshwater factories..
Gardens on top of every building
Electricity generated by water and air and sun

Just some of the things they are looking into

You are the Greater Optimist!!

cj6

posted on Dec, 9 2010 @ 01:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by Howtosurvive2012

Never thought about that

posted on Dec, 9 2010 @ 01:11 PM
link   

The National Research Institute regarding Food and Nutrition conducted a study comparing the relationship between food, property, our population, and the U.S. Economy; compared to the maximum number of U.S. citizens we can maintain, considering the minimum sustainable environment. We only have a 200 million person (maximum carrying capacity). To achieve a sustainable environment and avert absolute disaster, the United States must reduce its population by at least one-third; at the same time, the entire world’s population will have to be immediately reduced by a minimum of two-thirds.

I'd love to see the methodology of this "study".

I think people need to learn to think like a scientist and that way they can challenge so-called "experts" rather than simply quoting studies because they look like studies so it must be true. How exactly would one conduct a study to determine "maximum population"? How would such an experiment even work? Is it at traditional experiment with apparatus, controls, etc. Is it a mathematical exploration? If the latter what formulas are they using and where are they coming from? What do they account for and what are they overlooking?

Prove to me that it's even possible for a mortal human to account for everything and determine the maximum human population a section of Earth can sustain.

And are they accounting for changes in civilization that in the past have increased the amount of population that can be sustained? I would say advancements in the division of labor has dramatically increased the population "maximum".

In short, until I am convinced otherwise, I suspect this Institute has pulled some stuff out of their collective rear end.

edit on 9-12-2010 by NewlyAwakened because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 9 2010 @ 01:28 PM
link   
reply to post by NewlyAwakened

Wikipedia

posted on Dec, 9 2010 @ 01:38 PM
link   
reply to post by NewlyAwakened

Hey here's a study for ya. Take a mate and confine yourself to five acres of land. Support your demands with that area alone. You make three children, who make three children, and so on and so on. Add medical advancements to the equation and extend the life of each generation. (Along with their demand of resources) With each generation there's less farm land, and more residential housing. It’s the required reaction to maintain the demands of the populous. Importing and exporting products such as: food, water, material, fuel, supplies, and luxuries from far off lands; forces us to pollute and destroy an even larger part of the planet, in order to sustain an area that’s unable to provide for itself. We should recognize that at this rate, we’re ruining our home; altering the environment, and poisoning the planet. Do you really need a study handed to you to provide the common sense required to see what will happen. Hows China for a model experiment. Look at Hiroshima pics after the nuke, compared to present day. It looked more natural after the nuke. The population doubles every thirty-odd years. Currently its estimated there's 6.6 to 8 Billion people on the planet. Do you really believe there's no limit?

posted on Dec, 9 2010 @ 01:44 PM
link   
reply to post by Vandalour

I hope they figure it out fast. As a consequence of the progressive disappearance of farmlands, and the concurrent population explosion; supply and demand will rapidly push the cost of basic necessities to once inconceivable extremes. As they mistakenly replace our farmlands with residential neighborhoods; food, water and supplies will drastically increase in value like nothing we can currently imagine. It will lead to circumstances that few will survive.
Imagine if milk increased like gasoline. How will the people of a progressively failing economy afford such a jump?
If "they " do figure it out, who are they going to save with those limited, hypothetical, solutions; "themselves" or the problem?

posted on Dec, 9 2010 @ 01:46 PM
link   
If you've watched Stargate SG1, there was an episode where SG1 meat a greatly advanced race of humans in another planet (the Aschen), i remember one of their representatives telling something about our population number and askig how we could sustain so man of us.

I've always had the same opinion, and altough i'm not for mass murder, we really need to stop growing in numbers.

But wait...we would be considered racists, murderers and everything else people are calling to everyone who says this.
What to do...

posted on Dec, 9 2010 @ 01:48 PM
link   

DEEP QUESTION?
2ND

posted on Dec, 9 2010 @ 01:49 PM
link   
reply to post by Arken

I wish I was as optimistic as some; still, I'm a realist. No religion or government is going to tell me there isn't a problem when its so apparent there is. Ask yourselves this; if we indefinitely lost localized power because of the (very real) strain on the electrical grid; if there was no refrigeration, heat, or communication due to the outage; how would we react. If the population reaches a point when this is common; what will be the ultimate solution?

posted on Dec, 9 2010 @ 01:55 PM
link   
Why do we worry about limits?
It's funny nature has no limits.

Only people have limits and how do we have limits because we think in a box that has limits, it all man made limits.

We have more space on this planet, than we can imagine.

If we all think like Government employees we are all doomed, not to live it but think it.

Not to worry this planet knows what's it's doing.

JS

posted on Dec, 9 2010 @ 01:57 PM
link   
reply to post by Howtosurvive2012

You misunderstand me. I'm not questioning the Malthusian problem in general. What I'm questioning is these nonsense numbers like "200 million" and 2012. That stuff is so obviously contrived.

posted on Dec, 9 2010 @ 02:15 PM
link   
It seems developed countries are actually reducing in population.

posted on Dec, 9 2010 @ 02:41 PM
link   
reply to post by jsettica

Nature yes, society no. Especially not an unnatural civilization. What happens when you keep blowing into a balloon. Nature has nothing to do with the way we live. Where's the nature in our cities.

posted on Dec, 9 2010 @ 03:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by jsettica

JS

So you are saying that if the population grew to one trillion people everything would work out? People need resources to live and the resources that are on this planet are not limitless. I know you think nature has no limits but what part about humanity is natural? We are the biggest abomination to ever walk this planet, we pollute and destroy everything in our path and multiply beyond our control. There is one other thing on this planet that follows the same pattern (VIRUS) "from the matrix" Let me spell out that number for you so you can imagine one trillion people on all of this space we have, 1,000,000,000,000 people all eating, #ting, and living together. No thanks

posted on Dec, 9 2010 @ 03:25 PM
link   

JS

So you are saying that if the population grew to one trillion people everything would work out? People need resources to live and the resources that are on this planet are not limitless. I know you think nature has no limits but what part about humanity is natural? We are the biggest abomination to ever walk this planet, we pollute and destroy everything in our path and multiply beyond our control. There is one other thing on this planet that follows the same pattern (VIRUS) "from the matrix" Let me spell out that number for you so you can imagine one trillion people on all of this space we have, 1,000,000,000,000 people all eating, #ting, and living together. No thanks

posted on Dec, 9 2010 @ 03:25 PM
link   

JS

posted on Dec, 9 2010 @ 04:59 PM
link   
reply to post by Ophiuchus 13

Thanks Bud. Whats your opinion?

posted on Dec, 10 2010 @ 01:33 PM
link   

reply to post by Ophiuchus 13

Thanks Bud. Whats your opinion?

Some may very well have weighed their souls down enough to be within their spiritual grasp from evol activities. Others are too bright in soul to be touched spiritually. Do your best not to become held down by negativity.. The more evol your deeds the closer they get to your soul to harvest. Those worthy go beyond their reach. Either way a transformation for all seems to be the agenda.
edit on 12/10/10 by Ophiuchus 13 because: (no reason given)

top topics

<<   2 >>

join