It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

WikiLeaks cables: Shell's grip on Nigerian state revealed

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 8 2010 @ 05:49 PM
link   

WikiLeaks cables: Shell's grip on Nigerian state revealed

www.guardian.co.uk

The oil giant Shell claimed it had inserted staff into all the main ministries of the Nigerian government, giving it access to politicians' every move in the oil-rich Niger Delta, according to a leaked US diplomatic cable.

the Nigerian government had "forgotten" about the extent of Shell's infiltration and were unaware of how much the company knew about its deliberations.
(visit the link for the full news article)

Alternative sources:

www.google.com...

www.washingtonpost.com...

www.cbsnews.com...

edit on 8-12-2010 by ExPostFacto because: Adding alternative sources

posted on Dec, 8 2010 @ 05:49 PM
link   
Should this be a crime? Corporations influencing government through deception and implanting people within a government in a covert manner? This is the stuff why conspiracy theories run rampant and what a lot of people believe has happened in the USA.

For those that had no idea corporations were this evil and corrupt then they are in for a rude awakening. For those of us that felt this must be the case, and have for many years be prepared to help the average person understand and deal with this information rationally.

www.guardian.co.uk
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Dec, 8 2010 @ 05:51 PM
link   
RUT-ROH, we're starting to get into some bad stuff here...

"Run for the hills... "

posted on Dec, 8 2010 @ 05:56 PM
link   
reply to post by v1rtu0s0

Yeah I know right. I also wonder now if corporations are not influencing the churches that provide preachers for the areas. Maybe this is why corporations regularly give money to humanitarian needs of Africa all the while passing this to their preferred ministries.

Makes one wonder how tied in churches are with all of this.

posted on Dec, 8 2010 @ 06:10 PM
link   
Pretty sure oil companies do this to every country with oil. I mean look at the BP-Iran or Exxon-Venezuela connections. At least now we have some hard evidence, I hope something is done.

posted on Dec, 8 2010 @ 06:15 PM
link   
reply to post by tooo many pills

I am pretty sure they do too. However, this information is damning. It is saying basically that the US is spreading democracy because it is easy for the corporations to hijack. Or at the very least that corporations seize the opportunity to infiltrate governments which is known by the US government. I find this information refreshing that it is seeing the light of day. I find it also disturbing as this means our own government is infiltrated to be allowing this.

posted on Dec, 8 2010 @ 06:28 PM
link   

Sorry - we haven't been able to serve the page you asked for

posted on Dec, 8 2010 @ 06:28 PM
link   
reply to post by ExPostFacto

Oh I agree completely.
Btw your link doesn't work anymore. ??

[a href="http://www.guardian.co.uk/business/2010/dec/08/wikileaks-cables-shell-nigeria-spying"]WikiLeaks cables: Shell's grip on Nigerian state revealed[/a]

Neither does mine.

Ohh because you can't say NIGERia
LOL!!
edit on 8-12-2010 by tooo many pills because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 8 2010 @ 06:34 PM
link   
DAMNING EVIDENCE to what I've been stating about transnational corporations...and initially was in denial over when I first starting posting on ATS.

If they are donig this to Nigeria.....just IMAGINE what is happening here....where many of these corporations came to exist.

Wonder if the major new agencies will pick this up in the USA. The KOCH BROS are probably shuffling right now.
edit on 8-12-2010 by David9176 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 8 2010 @ 06:39 PM
link   
reply to post by tooo many pills

Got it...they took that offline quickly. I added additional stories that have now come out. This is really breaking the cable has not even been released yet. News agencies have access to the cables first before release.

posted on Dec, 8 2010 @ 06:43 PM
link   
nevermind..lol

posted on Dec, 8 2010 @ 06:47 PM
link   
reply to post by ExPostFacto

I knew about this for quite a while, but that just confirms it. Oil Dutch Shell has been hiring mercenaries in the '80s to raze villages and kill peasants by the thousands... just for corporate profit. I remember having seen a documentary onj TV in the 90s with the mercenary telling how he had nightmares about the faces of every single person he shot during the raids, and he was horrified, and then they shown two high-ranked execs in their posh office in London, chatting and plotting together.... they were among the most evil thing I ever seen. These guys didn't look humans... just filthy rich crooks programmed to profiteer from other people's misery.

posted on Dec, 8 2010 @ 06:50 PM
link   
reply to post by Echtelion

You are right. I remember maybe 10 years ago, oil rigs in Nigeria being overran by militants upset at Shell for controlling their government. I remember the USA responded by sending in special forces to secure the facilities. It seems though it was less about the lives of the shell workers at the facility and more about stopping the dissenters and people fighting for what was theirs.

posted on Dec, 8 2010 @ 07:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by ExPostFacto
You are right. I remember maybe 10 years ago, oil rigs in Nigeria being overran by militants upset at Shell for controlling their government. I remember the USA responded by sending in special forces to secure the facilities. It seems though it was less about the lives of the shell workers at the facility and more about stopping the dissenters and people fighting for what was theirs.

and now u know why Saddam
set his oil wells on fire before
the US invasion of Iraq.

posted on Dec, 8 2010 @ 07:40 PM
link   
I believe this is true.
Makes me think of that movie with Mark Wahlberg, Shooter. People are cashing on on Mother Earth and her children's expense. Julian Assange's wikileaks is the best thing to ever happen to longstanding Conspiracy Theorists.

posted on Dec, 8 2010 @ 07:43 PM
link   
dont they have accusations against dick cheney?

posted on Dec, 8 2010 @ 08:53 PM
link   
what a coincidence, George Soros' name comes up again.

Aug. 15, 2008
George Soros Buys Petroleo Brasileiro S.A.Petrobras, ConocoPhillips, Hess Corp., Sells International Business Machines Corp, Apple Inc., Pfizer Inc

www.gurufocus.com...

Soros is linked to Petrobras, Conoco & Hess oil companies.

Petrobras has a Ni gerian Division

PETROLEO BRASILEIRO NIGERIA LTD. - PETROBRAS
www.ni geria-oil-gas.com/petroleo_brasileiro_ni geria_ltd._-_petrobras-170-1-2-art.html

please close up the 2 spaces above so the url works.
it's filtered in posting.

Guess who is in direct competition with Shell
for Nigerian Oil Contracts? Petrobras & Soros !

wikileaks releases evidence of corruption of
Soros' competition Shell. When they are outed,
Soros gets those lucrative oil contracts.

congratulations Julian Assange,
you just made Soros another
billion dollars

edit on 12/8/2010 by boondock-saint because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 8 2010 @ 09:51 PM
link   
reply to post by cygnusX

Yes they have allegations of bribery of public officials that Shell wants to settle for $230 Million US but will give no further details to the authorities. With this information though, these people they have in custody are as good as convicted now.

posted on Dec, 8 2010 @ 11:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by David9176
DAMNING EVIDENCE to what I've been stating about transnational corporations...and initially was in denial over when I first starting posting on ATS.

If they are donig this to Nigeria.....just IMAGINE what is happening here....where many of these corporations came to exist.

Wonder if the major new agencies will pick this up in the USA. The KOCH BROS are probably shuffling right now.

or the links of monsanto/biotech and fda/usda

it a revolving door

or our treasury dept,,,, geithner, paulson,,,, corzine ex goldman -nj gov

some are surprised by this,,, not me,,,, but good to have it reaffirmed

but by far we can find these links in our own gov't thru and thru,,,, at least in the 3rd world you kind of expect corruption ,,,, although still wrong
but our gov't is overflowing with this

the guy heading the black farmer lawsuit on behalf of farmers apparently was in charge of the agency when the abuses occured

posted on Dec, 9 2010 @ 07:11 AM
link   
What really makes me sad is:

Campaigners tonight said the revelation about Shell in Nigeria demonstrated the tangled links between the oil firm and politicians in the country where, despite billions of dollars in oil revenue, 70% of people live below the poverty line.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join