It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

When did prayer EVER help you!

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 12 2010 @ 07:06 PM
link   
Believe it or not, .... it ALWAYS works for me, ....

I grew up very hardcore christian, and even though I am not anymore, .... prayer has always worked for me so I continue to use it.

The reason it works, ... is because I KNOW it's going to work, ... hence it becomes so.

Prayer is simply a conscious effort of our will's to a desired outcome, in the end we are only talking to ourselves, .... the gods we are. but like anything else, .... if you believe it works, ... it will.

posted on Dec, 12 2010 @ 07:13 PM
link   
reply to post by rabbigoldstein

It doesn't do any good. Graveyards around the world are full of people who were praying and being prayed for. I used to be a Christian and I used to pray an awful lot but never got any satisfactory answers and never got what I wanted. Yet the occasional warm fuzzy feeling of comfort while praying kept me coming back for a while. Now that I'm an atheist I wonder why more people don't question the silence of their God(s).

Here's a simple pic I made for my blog that illustrates the point:

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/77ee7cf25b8d.jpg[/atsimg]

posted on Dec, 13 2010 @ 12:04 AM
link   

Originally posted by SheSellsSeaShells
While in high school I ran a prayer experiment to piss off my mother who could be classified as a evangelical nutcase. I didn't study at all for an upcoming test, only prayed for a week that I would pass and maybe get an A. The results weren't good for the power of prayer to say the least.

Jesus answered (Satan), "It says: Do not put the Lord your God to the test. Luke 4:11

posted on Dec, 13 2010 @ 12:41 AM
link   
reply to post by freedish

Jesus also said ask and you shall receive, he didn't put any qualifiers on it either, all you need is faith the size of a grain of Mustard. Also, don't forget the story of Elijah and the prophets of Baal where God is put to the test and responds. The Bible contradicts itself painfully often.

To me the most interesting aspect of modern Christian prayer is that it often takes place in public, in Church for instance, yet Jesus directed his disciples directly to pray in secret and detested the hypocrites who prayed in public in the Temple.

posted on Dec, 13 2010 @ 11:48 AM
link   

Originally posted by Titen-Sxull
reply to post by freedish

Jesus also said ask and you shall receive, he didn't put any qualifiers on it either, all you need is faith the size of a grain of Mustard. Also, don't forget the story of Elijah and the prophets of Baal where God is put to the test and responds. The Bible contradicts itself painfully often.

It wasn't that Elijah was testing God...God loved these people and wanted them to stop sinning & worshiping false gods.

To me the most interesting aspect of modern Christian prayer is that it often takes place in public, in Church for instance, yet Jesus directed his disciples directly to pray in secret and detested the hypocrites who prayed in public in the Temple.

The pharisees prayed in public to boast of themselves...they did a lot of things in public like they they would go without sleep and not shower to show everyone they had been fasting and praying. They thought of themselves higher than everyone else because they were more 'religious'.

God cares about where your heart is. Not about how much you pray or where you pray...
edit on 13-12-2010 by freedish because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 13 2010 @ 11:48 AM
link   
*EDIT* sorry double post.
edit on 13-12-2010 by freedish because: double post

posted on Dec, 13 2010 @ 11:52 AM
link   
When did prayer help me?

I partially credit prayer for my near death experience as I was praying before and during my assent to heaven.

Not all will agree and that's okay, just answering the question from my life and my experience.

Hopefully everyone realizes we can learn things from other people regardless of our own life experience.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join