It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Caves hold clues to the mystery of the three hares

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 3 2004 @ 09:07 AM
link   
This is fascinating.

British researchers are heading to a remote part of western China to try and unravel one of archaeology's most puzzling mysteries.
They plan to find out why the same sacred symbol has been found in apparently unconnected ancient sites around the world.
www.abc.net.au...
Academics have long been baffled as to why the circular motif became prominent in Christian, Islamic and Buddhist cultures separated by such great distances and times.

Sanc'.

D

posted on Jul, 6 2004 @ 05:21 AM
link   
Interesting. I had no idea that the hare had anything to do with the Christian Church.

posted on Jul, 6 2004 @ 05:27 AM
link   
Found a site with abit more info about the sign:
www.chrischapmanphotography.com...

posted on Jul, 6 2004 @ 06:01 AM
link   

posted on Jul, 6 2004 @ 06:04 AM
link   
www.abovetopsecret.com...

One of the best images i've found. (not in the cave)

Sanc'.

posted on Jul, 6 2004 @ 09:11 AM
link   
Very intriguing! Because the designs are so alike, it does look like something that had a common origin. I can't think of any tale that this would relate to (which would make it a more solid connection) -- or any legend. But it's an intriguing find!

posted on Jul, 6 2004 @ 10:41 AM
link   
I quote,
Three Hares.

"This is another interpretation of the Three Hares image, in this instance the hares are really delightfully cuddly bunnies! This ancient and enigmatic symbol depicts three hares prancing round each other. The essential and defining feature of the Three Hares image being that each hare shares its ears with its neighbours, joining them together and forming a central trefoil. There are only ever three ears. The Three Hares image is thought to be connected with the Green Man, though it has also been suggested that it represents the Trinity."

The Green Man??

This is a nice carving.

Sanc'.

posted on Jul, 6 2004 @ 11:17 AM
link   
The Green Man represents spirit, energy, and presence. I've only heard it in celtic folklore, but apparently it's a multi cultural belief. I hope this link helps some what.

www.mythinglinks.org...

posted on Jul, 6 2004 @ 11:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by IKnowNothing
The Green Man represents spirit, energy, and presence. I've only heard it in celtic folklore, but apparently it's a multi cultural belief. I hope this link helps some what.

Thanks IKN,
So this could connect "I've only heard it in celtic folklore, but apparently it's a multi cultural belief."
with "Academics have long been baffled as to why the circular motif became prominent in Christian, Islamic and Buddhist cultures separated by such great distances and times."

Harmony. That would be nice in this day and age.
Sanc'.

posted on Jul, 6 2004 @ 11:36 AM
link   
Does anyone have links to pictures from the caves? Or non-western examples?

posted on Jul, 6 2004 @ 11:45 AM
link   

Originally posted by Montana
Does anyone have links to pictures from the caves? Or non-western examples?

Hi Montana

I can't find any pic's from the cave...yet. But this is a great image link.
www.chrischapmanphotography.com...

Sanc'.

posted on Jul, 6 2004 @ 11:51 AM
link   
Instead of being linked in some way, could it just prove that humans think alike?
That we form the same thoughts, no matter where we are?

posted on Jul, 6 2004 @ 11:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by curme
Instead of being linked in some way, could it just prove that humans think alike?
That we form the same thoughts, no matter where we are?

curme, I totally agree. The Human race can and does think alike...(to a degree)
except when a person in 'power' wants to start a war.
Sanc'.
edit: brackets

[edit on 6-7-2004 by sanctum]

posted on Jul, 6 2004 @ 12:34 PM
link   
Here's a sermon by Glynn Cardy - Vicar, St Andrew's Anglican Church, Epsom.

Tin miners from Devon and Cornwall used the three-hare idea in their badge design.

This is a page of religious symbolism depicted by the hare.

Some info from wildlife writer Trevor Beer discussing hares used as holy symbols.

The International Dunhuang Project has information on "The travels of the three rabbits".

A three-hare floor tile is duscussed in this newsletter fromthe Medieval Pottery Research Group.

And finally, for a little three-hare fun, try this

posted on Jul, 7 2004 @ 01:48 PM
link   
I just logged into to post about this!

There was a slot about it on a TV magazine show here in the UK, Richard & Judy (presented by a married couple who rose to 'fame' as the hosts of the highest rating morning TV magazine show here).

So it was quite a flacid discussion, but it certainly pricked my interest.

One thing that was interesting was that the researchers were going to China, and they did mention something about that in China, they see a hare in the moon (where we see a face, the man in the moon).

Moon - femininity, fertility. And they mentioned in the UK it wasn't very common, but it was used enough to be significant, in the joins of the beams of churches (the highest pont of the church, the roof, where the sky (Heaven) meets the Earth, the church, God's house, being the conduit between the two domains, and the conduit between us (mortals) and God.

They also said in one (or maybe more I forget) church - the symbol was alternated with that of, as sanctum said above, "the green man" - which they did not show, but said was a symbol for the masculine.

I couldn't think of anything to do with hares that linked them to any ancient civilisations, conspiracy theories or such (Alice In Wonderland was about as much as I could think of - I'm sure there are some theories floating around regarding that book).

It all seemed very interesting, the same symbols used in, practically, the 4 corners of the Earth, in different religions.

Now all the major religions do seem to share common traits, so it's not so out of the ordinary, but it seemed so intriguing that it's a symbol, the white hare, that seems quite individual, and unheard of.

The ears forming a triangle, three rabits, three ears - Distinctive, and shows signs of basic numerology in the symbology? Triangle, three, trinity?

There's the Holy Trinity, the trinity of man, woman and God.

Makes me think the whole trinity thing is a symbol for something else entirely. A trinity of what I wonder?

I recently read something about the supposed Area 51 scientist (sorry, I forgot his name) and in reading some of his "interviews", there was something about human DNA having 3 strands before it was messed about with with the Annunaki.

posted on Jul, 7 2004 @ 02:36 PM
link   
I also watched richard and judy.

it was supposedly started in persia on fine silks that is what members of the team said.

and what do you have against richard and judy they're soo loveable lol, like my grandparents

-graham

posted on Jul, 7 2004 @ 03:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by junior_smith
and what do you have against richard and judy they're soo loveable lol

Nothing!! They're national treasures, Richard is rather dishy in an odd way, and for the men, Judy has those lovely tats!

posted on Jul, 7 2004 @ 03:23 PM
link   
I GOT IT!

Three hares could refer to the thrice-great Hermes or thrice-great Thoth, they are the same deity. Thoth was a lunar diety, rabbits/hares are the symbol for the moon. Thoth's totem animal was the babbon, a nocturnal animal that goes to sleep after seeing the new sun. Thoth was also considered immortal. As well, one of Thoth's symbols was the cross and circle.

13) I am Hermes the Threefold Sage, so named because I hold the three elements of all wisdom.

www.sacred-texts.com...

I used this link for the hares: ww2.netnitco.net...

some info on Thoth:
touregypt.net...

and:
www.crystalinks.com...

Here is a picture of THoth with cross and circle:

If you want more info, I'd recommend you to my thread I started, after the first few posts you get to the good stuff:

[edit on 7-7-2004 by Jamuhn]

[edit on 7-7-2004 by Jamuhn]

posted on Jul, 7 2004 @ 04:53 PM
link   
Jamuhn, I was just reading your thread earlier (and replied in it).

As someone who has read about the Reptile theories, I found it most interesting.

The use of sound pricked my interest.

There was a thread here a while back about Tibetan (I think) monks who used sound (musical instruments) to move huge objects.

I think there is more to the uses/properties of sound and light than current mainstream science would have us believe.

Thanks for posting.

posted on Jul, 9 2004 @ 09:11 AM
link   
I guess we will have to wait for a few weeks to see some pics from the cave.
Before i go on, i can't work out how to shorten url's using BB Code so bear with me.

Midnight Watchman, those are great links

I found this on idp.bl.uk...

Draw three rabbits, so that each shall appear to have two ears while,
in fact, they have only three between them

Sanc'.
edit:jpg

[edit on 9-7-2004 by sanctum]

top topics

<<   2 >>

join