It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

WikiLeaks Supporters Aim Cyberattacks At PayPal

page: 7
<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 6 2010 @ 06:56 PM
link   
reply to post by laughsalot

Probably because it doesn't directly impact them if I was a betting man.

posted on Dec, 6 2010 @ 07:00 PM
link   
reply to post by jaynkeel

Now this is real truth, they seem to be so intent on playing their own game of big government but calling it freedom, you know kinda like the government does sometimes.

posted on Dec, 6 2010 @ 07:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by PuterMan

WikiLeaks Supporters Aim Cyberattacks At PayPal

blogs.forbes.com

Within hours, according to the cybersecurity researchers at Panda Labs, the loose group of hackers that calls itself Anonymous launched a distributed denial of service attack that threw junk traffic at the web server of the blog that had made the WikiLeaks announcement, and by 4am had taken the site offline. An Anonymous twitter account released a note claiming credit: “TANGO DOWN — thepaypalblog.com — Blog of Paypal, company that has restricted Wikileaks’ access to funding.”

The attacks continued for more than eight hours, Panda’s researchers say, until PayPal was able to get i
(visit the link for the full news article)

Starred and flagged.

Paypal might not be the most appropriate target, but it is a high profile one. If it suffers then other paysites and no few government entities will take notice.

This is how we make wikileaks "untouchable".

I was damned glad to hear "Tango Down".

posted on Dec, 6 2010 @ 07:04 PM
link   
reply to post by jaynkeel

agree totally

posted on Dec, 6 2010 @ 07:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by jibeho

Originally posted by BigTimeCheater

reply to post by BigTimeCheater

how about possession of stolen property for starters.

Remember that little innocent until proven guilty thing?

Happen to have a link to a court case where they were convicted of something?

Yes, let the courts decide. But I highly doubt that Manning had permission to give WL anything that is the sole property of the US govt. That is why Manning is in Jail!!!!!! So, I call that theft of intellectual property. Apparently, our AG is afraid of WL and its spooky doomsday/insurance file.

It will all come out in the wash! I can assure you that!

The US government is the property of the people. Shouldn't the citizens have a right to know about what shady practices and atrocities go on so that we can speak out against them and change the way the government operates?

To do otherwise is irresponsible. Unless you enjoy being governed by an entity that promotes deceit and irresponsibility without being held accountable.
edit on 6-12-2010 by arbitrarygeneraiist because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 6 2010 @ 07:13 PM
link   
reply to post by PuterMan

Yes sorry, valid point..
Good thread none the less...

kx

posted on Dec, 6 2010 @ 07:14 PM
link   
reply to post by mydarkpassenger

so crash it all and reek hell for thousnads of very small business owners in the name of Wikileaks??? and that is your revolution?

posted on Dec, 6 2010 @ 07:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by arbitrarygeneraiist

Yes, let the courts decide. But I highly doubt that Manning had permission to give WL anything that is the sole property of the US govt. That is why Manning is in Jail!!!!!! So, I call that theft of intellectual property. Apparently, our AG is afraid of WL and its spooky doomsday/insurance file.

The US government is the property of the people. Shouldn't the citizens have a right to know about what shady practices and atrocities go on so that we can speak out against them and change the way the government operates?

To do otherwise is irresponsible. Unless you enjoy being governed by an entity that promotes deceit and irresponsibility without being held accountable.

and Paypal is the property of who?? you?? Citizens have the right to speak for themselves and decide if the Government is forcing atrocities on them not you or your followers who in my simple opinion have not the slightest clue of anything other then a keyboard. Just my opinion since we all have one.

posted on Dec, 6 2010 @ 07:28 PM
link   

The so-called cyber revolution, as you and some others might have put it, is actually a lesson to be learned. That, is it really okay for people who are in the government or backed by the government to hack or attack other sites, when such things are illegal when an actual citizen does so?

It's sort of like a sick hypocrisy. I personally don't condone the attacks on paypal, and I don't condone what the government has done to wikileaks.

On one end it is okay for the government to "clean up" the image of deceit and irresponsibility that they have been portrayed to exhibit through the classified documents that wikileaks displayed. Then on the other end, when a group of people who aren't affiliated with the government decide to use the same deceitful tactics in order to defend their freedoms by conveying a point, the government and a lot of people are condemning these same tactics.

So what it really amounts to is that the people who support the closing of wikileaks indirectly support deceit and irresponsibility in their government.

posted on Dec, 6 2010 @ 07:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by laughsalot
reply to post by bigyin

just curious for obvious reasons, it would appear you appreciate free enterprise but would also support a Total Paypal Burn at the expense of those that depend on it.

No I didn't say to burn paypal. I want to reduce their monopoly and go back to when there were other options.

Why doesn't ebay support other similar companies and give people a choice.

I've lost money because of paypal. I sold an item for £100. I sent it off in good faith, but the buyer made a claim that it was broken when he got it, which I know was false. He had actually broken it by trying to flash the firmware. No matter Paypal held me as the seller responsible, I had to give the guy his money back and I got a broken box back.

But I can't use another company because there isn't one.

paypal needs to be taken down a number of notches and some other companies allowed in.

That's what I call free enterprise, not the global monopoly we are forced to use.

posted on Dec, 6 2010 @ 07:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by laughsalot

Originally posted by arbitrarygeneraiist

and Paypal is the property of who?? you?? Citizens have the right to speak for themselves and decide if the Government is forcing atrocities on them not you or your followers who in my simple opinion have not the slightest clue of anything other then a keyboard. Just my opinion since we all have one.

No, I do not own Paypal. The attacks on Paypal are really an entirely separate issue to me. But the general message I'm getting from the actions of these attackers is that... if Paypal can discriminately and unjustly close down payment to a site, then the people who use Paypal are apparently making it known that they can close down the Paypal site. It's more or less an eye for an eye.

posted on Dec, 6 2010 @ 07:32 PM
link   
double post

posted on Dec, 6 2010 @ 07:55 PM
link   
reply to post by bigyin

well we can both agree on something, I totally agree with you and I would like to see both Ebay and Paypal loose the monoply they both have succeeded in capturing but I dont believe this is the answer... but then again maybe it is.... since I have no solution otherwise but the fact that there are so many people right now that are using these services to make a living that the thought of someone deciding for them or crashing the site effects those people so much more then it does Paypal. Trust me when I say both Ebay and Paypal have on more than one occasion made me wanna crack some skulls and cancel my account but then what?? we tried to boycott Ebay for 2 weeks a few years back to no avail, many of us were against Paypal as being the only option you could offer as payment but Ebay in the global sense failed to listen. I started selling on Ebay in 1997 and I have seen it at it's best and it's worse which will most likely to continue to decline.

There have been several attempts at gaining marketshare on other online sites but it just never pans out and believe me I wish I knew the answer. I just dont believe this is the answer that will make the change we both want to see.

posted on Dec, 6 2010 @ 07:55 PM
link   

Paypal is in the business of stealing money from people.

They are the real criminals here, and they deserve everything anonymous throws their way.

You have to be kidding? They are a business and they lay out all the rules before you start, if they change the rules-then you can go else where. Yes, I do not care for a couple things that they have done with my ebay account-but you know what I find another way to make it work.

I use paypal for my business and no, I can't just go somewhere else for my credit card processor. Why doesn't Wikileaks get another processor if it is so easy?

posted on Dec, 6 2010 @ 07:59 PM
link   
Well said! The truth of the matter few are willing to experience alittle discomfort for freedom from doing/feeling opposite of government's established "politically correctness" is, we should hail Julian Assange as a true hero.
Bravo wikileaks, bravo.
Yes, I use Paypal multiple times daily.

edit on 6-12-2010 by Jimerton because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 6 2010 @ 08:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by Yummy Freelunch

Im saying my business is set up with paypal, and that is how I make my living. So, while you guys are laughing and rubbing your hands..im wondering how the hell Im going to pay my electric bill.

Not taking any sides here as I do understand completely where you are coming from but just wanted to add that when my wife and I began getting our business set up back in 2006/2007 we used a company/service called "Cellcharge" and then onto one called 'Merchant Processing" (but there are many others now from what my wife tells me) but the point being that they gave us the ability to accept credit cards as a form of payment without having to enter into any expensive contracts requiring expensive credit card processing machines. You simply get an account and use your cell/home phone to process all credit card transactions at the end of the day (they send you one of those old credit card with metal plate/carbon copy/slide whatever machines that is tailored with your information on it to use as a form of receipt/recording of payment yada yada.

We found the fees/monthly charges to be QUITE LOW compared to now having the ability to accept other forms of payment (which everyone that has the ability of paypal processing has either a credit card/bank account tied to the paypal account yea?). So I dunno just throwing that out there as possibly an alternative form of accepting payment. A form that we found to be MUCH MUCH better than using paypal as it gave customers the ability to pay you directly thus eliminating the "middle man" (paypal) from the process.

Anyways good luck to you and your business. Humanity as a whole needs to support/assist/help/offer guidance or whatever to their fellow human being (brother/sister) during these turbulent times like never before if we ever hope to have a chance in defeating TPTB that are banking on us tearing into/ripping off/scamming each other instead :-/ It is this that I hope we will be able to come together and prove them wrong. I hope.

NT

posted on Dec, 6 2010 @ 08:13 PM
link   
reply to post by ShadowMaster

Paypal was started as a separate entity and when they were given an offer they couldnt refuse gave up the ghost to Ebay. Paypal is owned by Ebay so thus Ebay made Paypal the only payment option a seller could offer. Although sellers can accept other forms of payment in the form of checks, MO's there is no other online payment option. It is there site so they can make the rules and you can either use them or loose them but for many sellers Paypal is the chosen option so when I hear those that want to crash Paypal in the name of Wikileaks what they apparently do not understand they end up hurting the small guy who has agreed to the terms and when those folks even if done with good intentions begin crashing sites they infringe upon others.

I want to think that most here believe in our Freedoms and the rights of others to have theirs so before you contemplate a casue you should understand the impact it actually creates which many times compounds the problem and ends up being the same dastardy deed you think you are preventing.

edit on 6-12-2010 by laughsalot because: word change

posted on Dec, 6 2010 @ 08:25 PM
link   

I am aware that Ebay purchased PP some time ago. I use PP for all my Ebay purchases and sales as a convivence for my customers. I also use the service for customers that cannot come to my store and purchase the items. Why should I change servicer while WL supports run rampant. WL can get another processor or bank to support them. If someone has an issue with a business than write a letter, complain, boycott or sue...

I shouldn't have to change my services because of a bunch of bored hackers. You support WL great, you hate WL great...but when you twist other bystanders up...that's wrong.

I have the Freedom to Chose for myself, not let someone Chose for me.

edit on 6-12-2010 by ShadowMaster because: I forgot something

edit on 6-12-2010 by ShadowMaster because: ...

posted on Dec, 6 2010 @ 08:42 PM
link   
reply to post by arbitrarygeneraiist

I can appreciate your post and I personally have no iLL will towards Wikileaks, I dont agree with everything they are leaking and as they say "be careful what you wish for", depending on the entirety of the Wikileak outcome we should understand there could be grave consequences that could change more then we can envision. My real concern is when some take it upon themselves to indulge a cause forward without using reasonable and clear understanding thus causing havoc to those that are not the problem nor the intended target.

posted on Dec, 6 2010 @ 08:49 PM
link   
What it is is these people want to take the governments role and play god for a change. How stupid of us average people who don't know any better to question their actions. It says it right in the title of the thread Wikileaks Supporters Aim Cyberattacks at paypal. Has anyone else noticed that the usual bunch of die hard wikileaks fans haven't even touched this thread at all yet? Gee I wonder why, is it because what many of us say is true and they don't have the usual comeback of show me the link, or they haven't been proven guilty of anything or just plain old tactics of belittling the posters. Sorry people but if this right here is what wikileaks has to offer for the average person and the people that associate with wikileaks think along these lines then no thanks I'll catch the next bandwagon to jump on. What an individual company decides to do about supporting wikileaks is their right weather you agree with it or not, and whatever anyones grievances in the past against paypal has absolutely nothing to do with what they decided to do with wikileaks. Don't you people realize that by taking away an independent companies right to select who they want to be associated with and what their tos are you are defeating the very thing you are fighting against?

<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join