It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Hipster time traveler photo is real

page: 4
<< 1  2  3   >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 7 2010 @ 02:10 PM
link   
I went back to the photo in the original thread on the topic. The "hipster" is clearly holding a camera that is representative of the era.

One just like this.
flipsideauctioncompany.com...

here is the link to the photo from that thread:
1.bp.blogspot.com...

His sweater is most likely a simple University sweater much like this one from the era.

www.fast-autos.net...

I'm sure the picture is authentic. Just not a picture of a time traveler.

posted on Dec, 7 2010 @ 04:21 PM
link   
Funny that no one looked on the link the OP provided

forgetomori.com...

Its got the glasses, sweater and camera

Its also got this...

posted on Dec, 7 2010 @ 06:05 PM
link   
Heres an obvious question.

why is no one looking at him? He sticks out like a sore thumb. He has glasses that dont exist in those times.

Its CLEARLY Fake. I cannot believe how gullible some people can be.

posted on Dec, 7 2010 @ 07:03 PM
link   
just to put my 2 cents in. in the website a couple of posts up, it talks about the weird arm position. to me it almost looks like the guy behind is holding the camera in front of him. maybe trying to make him "blend in". i dunno its a very intresting photo though.

posted on Dec, 7 2010 @ 10:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by dontreally
Heres an obvious question.

why is no one looking at him? He sticks out like a sore thumb. He has glasses that dont exist in those times.

It's already been discussed in other threads with many examples provided of glasses like these existing in those times. Just because you don't think they did does not mean that you are right. As well, of course people are not looking at him - they are looking at the new bridge being opened. There are corroborating shots from other angles that verify this. Furthermore, the reference photo was found at a museum in the same area as the bridge opening in British Columbia, Canada.

If you're going to try and debunk it as fake, at least research it. Or do you always speak first before looking at the facts? Does this photo exist for real? Yes. Is it evidence of a time traveler? No.

posted on Dec, 7 2010 @ 10:33 PM
link   
That is so fake. It even looks fake. I'm not saying that Time travel can or cannot happing. Just that the photo looks fake.

posted on Dec, 8 2010 @ 02:22 AM
link   
the only thing this proves, is that people have no idea what hipsters are.

posted on Dec, 8 2010 @ 04:38 AM
link   
These two guys seem to look more official than the rest of the crowd.
look at the guy on the left directing the camera man to the "Hipster"

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/dc2e5aad7bb6.png[/atsimg]

These two guys seem very interested in the Hipster in my opinion.

posted on Dec, 8 2010 @ 05:05 AM
link   
I'm pretty sure I read a post about this debunking it. They gave pretty solid explanations for his attire.
I'll try to find it.

posted on Dec, 8 2010 @ 05:33 AM
link   
i always thought that it was a "Y" on the sweater.

as in yale?

and the two guys that are checking him out, look like g-men.
anyway, interesting pic.

posted on Dec, 8 2010 @ 03:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by dontreally

What I can't believe is how people keep making posts without ACTUALLY reading the thread... gotta get you word in right? Never mind any facts... just 'shoot from the hip and run...

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/772c1faf308e.png[/atsimg]

As members of the ATS, like “Outkast Searcher”, diligently noted, despite looking very modern the man’s outfit and even glasses and camera could be found in the 1940s. Below, similar sunglasses used by actress Barbara Stanwyck on the movie “Double Indemnity” (1944):
forgetomori.com...

So much for the glasses. Seems you are WRONG mr knowitall

How about that eh? ATS gets the credit

The outfit could also be found 70 years ago. Being used as we are to our contemporary fashion, we look at the man and assume he’s wearing a stamped T-shirt, something that would be indeed out of place (or time). But if you look carefully, you can see that he’s actually wearing (or could as well be wearing) a sweatshirt. And sweatshirts with bordered emblems were not uncommon in the 1940s – in fact you can find those in other photos from the same exhibit.
forgetomori.com...

The sweater he also uses seems to be hand knitted, with buttons on the front. Something that was definitely available at the time, if he had some kind grandma perhaps. Finally, despite some comments about the camera lens being too big for the time, too compact, it looks like a Kodak Folding Pocket model, available since the beginning of the 20th century.
forgetomori.com...

Now the two guys with the hats that look like G-Men... they are obviously aware of the time traveller who is way to tall and stands out like a sore thumb so they are on a watch detail to see if he might be a terrorist here to scope out the bridge for possible terrorist activities like planting a bomb. The G-man by the car is obviously talking into his Dick Tracy wrist watch... also available at the time...

And yeah this link was available in the OP

forgetomori.com...
edit on 8-12-2010 by zorgon because: ArMaP didn't do it this time

edit on 8-12-2010 by zorgon because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 8 2010 @ 03:11 PM
link   
Come on guys, just look at him and think for a second. He drives a motorcycle! Yes, his hair is long, but it looks like he was riding in the wind. His sunglasses are called motorcycle steampunk goggles. Similar to this:

They're supposed to keep the wind out of your eyes while driving a motorcycle, and yes, they were produced in the 30's and 40's, and quit common for motorcycle riders.

His jacket looks like another motorcycle jacket. Some were all leather, some had wool around the collar, similar to a bomber-style jacket, and other had the wool on the outside, while it still being a leather jacket. This one was from 1930:

As for the shirt, I don't know, but it's just a regular shirt. There you go. A guy with long hair that looks like he just got done ridding a motorcycle, hence the steampunk glasses, and motorcycle jacket.

edit on 8-12-2010 by TravisT because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 8 2010 @ 04:34 PM
link   

5 minutes in photoshop to illustrate that it does not have to be the letter M, can just as well be a design on a knitted shirt.

posted on Dec, 8 2010 @ 05:19 PM
link   
reply to post by zorgon

Ah the wrist watch 2-way radio, the precursor to the shoe phone!

posted on Feb, 23 2011 @ 08:37 AM
link   

Originally posted by Seventytwo
These two guys seem to look more official than the rest of the crowd.
look at the guy on the left directing the camera man to the "Hipster"

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/dc2e5aad7bb6.png[/atsimg]

These two guys seem very interested in the Hipster in my opinion.

These guys look like agents andthey look like they are gunna get the hipster.

posted on Feb, 23 2011 @ 08:40 AM
link   
Also the chick with black hair looks to be looking at the hipster too.

posted on Sep, 3 2012 @ 10:38 PM
link   
In case anyone is still interested in this story...I spend a lot of time during the summers in the Goldbridge/Bralorne areas, and just visited the museum yesterday. I saw the original picture and talked at length to the women who run the place. They are definitely not photoshoppers...by their own admission, answering emails is a bit high-tech for them. She chuckled a bit at all the attention aimed at them, and mentioned that she gets lots of hateful emails and phone calls from people admonishing them for their alleged hoax.

They have a couple of theories about the man, and are trying to track down a name. One theory about his shirt is that it's a Bank of Montreal issued shirt. One of the visitors to the museum said that, back in those days, the bank issued shirts annually to employees with their corporate logo: a capital M with a line underneath. The ladies in the museum are trying to locate anyone with a shirt from the 40's to compare. And yes, there was a branch of the Bank of Montreal in the area.

Another interesting bit of information on this regards the woman immediately to the man's left (your right looking at the picture). She looks very much like Ma Murray, who at the time was publisher of the Bridge River/Lillooett Times newspaper. It's very likely she would have been present for the opening of the new bridge; and would have brought a photographer with her. Since the "hipster" dude seems to be holding an Agfa camera, it's possible he was her photographer.

Here's the link to info on Ma Murray

As I mentioned above, I spend a lot of time in that area and have been to the museum several times. I probably won't be back there until next spring, but I plan to visit the museum again to catch up on any new information.

posted on Sep, 3 2012 @ 10:58 PM
link   
hmmmm, he almost looks like he is wearing a hoodie and an MTV t-shirt, lol....

While I do believe in time shifts or paralelle universes, I can't comprehend purposely going forward or backward, but what do I know...

posted on Sep, 29 2014 @ 08:45 PM
link   
a reply to: Kennit

Here are similar glasses from slightly earlier. The 1500s to be exact.

top topics

<< 1  2  3   >>

join