It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NASA creates buzz with 'extraterrestrial' announcement

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 1 2010 @ 03:53 PM
link   

NASA creates buzz with 'extraterrestrial' announcement

[url=http://blacklistednews.com/NASA-creates-buzz-with-%E2%80%98extraterrestrial%E2%80%99-announcement/11713/0/32/32/Y/M.html]blacklistednews.com[/url ]

The US space agency has created a buzz with its announcement of a press conference Thursday to discuss a scientific finding that relates to the hunt for life beyond the planet Earth.

"NASA will hold a news conference at 2 pm EST (1900 GMT) on Thursday, December 2, to discuss an astrobiology finding that will impact the search for evidence of extraterrestrial life," it said on its website.

Space enthusiasts and believers in alien life took to the blogosphere in a flurry of speculation over the potential meaning of the announcement, though NASA declined to elaborate further.

(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Dec, 1 2010 @ 03:53 PM
link   
Perhaps disclosure of some type regarding ET will be forthcoming. I think it is interesting that it is NASA, but then again who better? Or, who would already know that ET does exist!?
Either way hopefully it will be good to get some info regarding this. I know I'll be tuned in and I think it'll be more along the line of microscopic life rather than a fully formed humanoid : )

Raw Story link
edit on 12/1/2010 by mikelee because: Fix link

posted on Dec, 1 2010 @ 03:55 PM
link   
Disclosure ??? LOL.

These anouncements come and go, each time everyone gets all worked up about it just for the news to eventualy fade into obscurity.

The press release will probably be along the lines of them finding a planet which contains water, or something insignificant like this.

posted on Dec, 1 2010 @ 03:59 PM
link   
Why dont these things ever pan out?

posted on Dec, 1 2010 @ 04:02 PM
link   
reply to post by IntastellaBurst

Well, read the story then is all I can tell ya. As I posted I do not think it'll be about a fully formed humanoid.

posted on Dec, 1 2010 @ 04:08 PM
link   
Any money they found microbiological life which could, in 100,000 millenia, potentially spawn intelligent life similar to our own.
Also, they discovered the universe has double the planets and stars they originally thought raising the chances of intelligent life and an earth like our own existing elsewhere.

Until they retrieve something physical, not pictures, I won't get too excited. Besides, their just verifying to us what most of us deduced based on pure logic.

posted on Dec, 1 2010 @ 04:11 PM
link   
How many more people are going to post this?? I've seen AT LEAST 10 threads pop up on Current topics in the last 2 days. For the Love of God - PLEASE people, use the ATS search function! This, the North Korea issue, and Wikileaks are flooding the Current Topics. Before You post, search, and add to existing posts. When people are 2 days late, it's NOT "Breaking Alternative News"

posted on Dec, 1 2010 @ 04:12 PM
link   
reply to post by TortoiseKweek

Well for God's sake I DID the freaking search function and.......NOTHNIG.

Mods: Delete it then, geeeeees

posted on Dec, 1 2010 @ 04:13 PM
link   
Here is a sinpit from the Fox article that I found amazing.

Despite the hype and rumors, Phil Plait of Discover Magazine urged rational calm, noting that an announcement of the discovery of extraterrestrial life "seems really unlikely." Plait called overreactions par for the course, citing a June press release about the lack of acetlyne in Titan’s atmosphere "that sparked vast speculation." Read more: www.foxnews.com...

Link to article

How someone with a brain this small can be in charge of a magazine called "Discover" amazes me.

Look up stupid.

posted on Dec, 1 2010 @ 04:15 PM
link   
I understand it gets everyone excited, but NASA has done this stuff before, and it is always mundane. Now one of these times maybe it won't be, but, in my opinion, it would be leaked well before a press conference was made that there were intelligent extraterrestrials confirmed.

posted on Dec, 1 2010 @ 04:19 PM
link   
reply to post by mikelee

I'm not here to grind you, but if you do a diligent search, and come up with nothing, then by all means. If you take offense, then so be it. Here are the links I found in 1 minute.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Dec, 1 2010 @ 05:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by CanuckCoder
Any money they found microbiological life which could, in 100,000 millenia, potentially spawn intelligent life similar to our own.
Also, they discovered the universe has double the planets and stars they originally thought raising the chances of intelligent life and an earth like our own existing elsewhere.

Until they retrieve something physical, not pictures, I won't get too excited. Besides, their just verifying to us what most of us deduced based on pure logic.

yes you have it!
it will be microbiological!
sighs........ well they have to start some where?
just think they will say there IS alien life. in 100 years.
and we can watch the news With aliens and laugh.

posted on Dec, 1 2010 @ 06:04 PM
link   
I recall reading a paperback non fiction book called "on the Shores of Distant Worlds" by Andrew Thomas. This book back in the 1970s examined evidence for extra-terrestrial life and for an even earlier age of the universe. It talked about recovery from the moon of a rock with an age of 5.3 billion years old.

One issue it raised was a suggestion that a meteorite was recovered in which was found biological material where the DNA helix was predominantly a left handed helix rather than a right handed one found on earth.

If you look at spring the spring will curl one way or the other no matter how you invert the spring and DNA is similar.

I can't recall any better facts than this from the book's claim. I read it about 1977, thus I'm trying to recall something from many years ago.

I just put it out there that if a comet chasing probe returned with comet dust containing DNA having a helix not found on earth, that would be pretty rivetting stuff.

posted on Dec, 1 2010 @ 06:08 PM
link   
Odds are it's about the discovery of life forms in which phosphorus is substituted by arsenic (normally this is how arsenic kills you
), demonstrating that non-ATP-consuming life exists and that we can look for nonterrestrial life that is not based on phosphorus/ATP.

related research paper for the arsenic organisms:
adsabs.harvard.edu...

posted on Dec, 1 2010 @ 06:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by tetsuo
Odds are it's about the discovery of life forms in which phosphorus is substituted by arsenic (normally this is how arsenic kills you
), demonstrating that non-ATP-consuming life exists and that we can look for nonterrestrial life that is not based on phosphorus/ATP.

related research paper for the arsenic organisms:
adsabs.harvard.edu...

Star for you
I found this article which NASA was funding

posted on Dec, 1 2010 @ 06:17 PM
link   
reply to post by mikelee

NASA must keep interest up, they're having budget woes and need a boost to have public sentament. We here on the Space Coast seem doomed job and economically speaking. Wish us well.
Thanks

new topics

top topics

join