It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Mystery Surrounds Cyber Missile That Crippled Iran's Nuclear Weapons Ambitions

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 1 2010 @ 12:37 PM
link   
I apologize if this has all ready been posted. I can't but wonder where the intelligence came form for this. I know they mention a type of group effort from different countries, but I guess I wonder more about the "people" in the groups. Is someone from let's say, MIT capable of this at this point in time? Seems like a pretty heavy duty worm. Almost other worldly in a sense.

In the 20th century, this would have been a job for James Bond. The mission: Infiltrate the highly advanced, securely guarded enemy headquarters where scientists in the clutches of an evil master are secretly building a weapon that can destroy the world. Then render that weapon harmless and escape undetected.

But in the 21st century, Bond doesn't get the call. Instead, the job is handled by a suave and very sophisticated secret computer worm, a jumble of code called Stuxnet, which in the last year has not only crippled Iran's nuclear program but has caused a major rethinking of computer security around the globe. Intelligence agencies, computer security companies and the nuclear industry have been trying to analyze the worm since it was discovered in June by a Belarus-based company that was doing business in Iran. And what they've all found, says Sean McGurk, the Homeland Security Department's acting director of national cyber security and communications integration, is a “game changer.” Read more: www.foxnews.com...

FULL STORY

posted on Dec, 1 2010 @ 12:42 PM
link   
now to cripple iran. lol

posted on Dec, 1 2010 @ 12:43 PM
link   
I want a Cyber Missile for chistmas!

posted on Dec, 1 2010 @ 12:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by TedHodgson

you'll shoot your eye out

sorry, couldn't resist

posted on Dec, 1 2010 @ 12:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by BadBoYeed

Originally posted by TedHodgson

you'll shoot your eye out

sorry, couldn't resist

Star for your signature.

posted on Dec, 1 2010 @ 12:50 PM
link   
reply to post by BadBoYeed

Yep either that or blow up the garage/half of england, probably best if i dont get one actually, id have to build a missile silo in a matter of weeks and the expense of that alone would be astronomical

posted on Dec, 1 2010 @ 07:16 PM
link   
Im happy you folks had fun with this, but I really would like some kind of answer as to what kind of minds came up with this. It just seems soooo advanced iffin you know what I mean.

posted on Dec, 1 2010 @ 07:27 PM
link   
reply to post by onehuman

The computer virus (or "worm") Stuxnet first came to public attention this past summer.

NO one is certain who created it, or IF it was a Government-sanctioned operaiton.

The U.S. and Israel are most likely "suspects".....

en.wikipedia.org...

posted on Dec, 1 2010 @ 07:37 PM
link   
Awesome post! I've been waiting patiently for more of the details surrounding stuxnet and it's mission. This is incredible!

check this out, the article talks of the stuff stuxnet was screwing with at the Iranian nuclear program for over a year when all of a sudden...

This went on until June of last year, when a Belarusan company working on the Iranian power plant in Beshehr discovered it in one of its machines. It quickly put out a notice on a Web network monitored by computer security experts around the world. Ordinarily these experts would immediately begin tracing the worm and dissecting it, looking for clues about its origin and other details. But that didn’t happen, because within minutes all the alert sites came under attack and were inoperative for 24 hours. “I had to use e-mail to send notices but I couldn’t reach everyone. Whoever made the worm had a full day to eliminate all traces of the worm that might lead us them,” Eric Byres, a computer security expert who has examined the Stuxnet. “No hacker could have done that.”

daaaang! Who could pull this off? My mind is reeling at the capability of the group responsible for the stuxnet worm.

posted on Dec, 1 2010 @ 07:42 PM
link   
reply to post by tjack

That is exactly why I am curious as to who Could pull this off. Seems very very advanced tech to me. Do we have some different kind of fingers in this pie perhaps?

posted on Dec, 2 2010 @ 01:30 AM
link   
If no hacker could have done it, who or what are they suggesting could?

This article was ineresting.

TechMan: Destructive Stuxnet worm has experts scrambling

Stuxnet makes spam networks and credit card schemes seem like child's play. Experts say it can do things like make motors fly to pieces.

I thought it was odd that a laptop from a Russian consultant, was speculated as a possible entry for the worm. So I followed this next quote up with a url from a google search that ended up giving me what I was looking for.

Why and how did it spread? Stuxnet attacks a Windows-based program called WinCC, a supervisory control and data acquisition program made by Siemens, a German company. If the worm cannot find a copy of WinnCC, it looks for other USB devices and copies itself onto them. Or it spreads across local networks. Stuxnet has been found on Siemens software at more than a dozen industrial facilities outside Iran. Since these types of control systems are not normally connected to the Internet, speculation is that the worm was either introduced with a USB drive or that it came from one of the laptops of Russian consultants at the nuclear plant.

This next link gives evidence against it being an American, Israeli, or Chinese effort.
Stuxnet: Signs Point to Russia

posted on Dec, 2 2010 @ 10:18 AM
link   
reply to post by addygrace

Very nice find. I still wonder about the "Brain" behind it though. Im guessing it took quite a few, but then that is pretty scary in itself. That is some heavy duty thinking. Also seems like it would take a perfectionist touch to not go wrong somewhere.

posted on Dec, 3 2010 @ 10:11 PM
link   
reply to post by onehuman

The odd thing about the "Brain" supposedly behind it is the remarks about the conclusion of Russia itself. Their evidence pointing to Russia was the "worm" was sloppy and incomplete. They said America or Israel would have made sure it was stronger. Basically it could've crumbled easily with any number of little security measures. Russia got lucky? I seriously am doubting this, though. If it was so weak, why are they so amazed. They didn't come out and say, "I'm amazed", but it definately reads that way. I'm going to research this a little more.

posted on Feb, 2 2011 @ 12:52 PM
link   
Here ya go.....a little info.....this type of thing can be used in many very scary ways. I would love to know who is behind it...

www.bbc.co.uk...
edit on 2-2-2011 by StealthyKat because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 2 2011 @ 01:02 PM
link   
Wasn't there a post stating that it was a hoax?

posted on Feb, 2 2011 @ 02:23 PM
link   
reply to post by macman

....it's a worm called stuxnet....it's real

articles.cnn.com...:TECH

posted on Feb, 2 2011 @ 02:46 PM
link   
some good info here and a nice video too
www.abovetopsecret.com...

kx

posted on Feb, 3 2011 @ 08:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by StealthyKat
reply to post by macman

....it's a worm called stuxnet....it's real

articles.cnn.com...:TECH

Good to hear. I just swear that there was a thread about 2 weeks ago stating it was a hoax.
But, I like the cyber attach instead of the nuke idea any day of the week.

posted on Feb, 3 2011 @ 08:48 AM
link   
I thought that it has been found out that Israel created this worm, and tested it against their own nuclear plant before unleasing on Iran.

Anyways if that is true, I believe that that is called an act of war.

top topics

join