It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

This is why we have no Facebook widgets or like buttons...

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 30 2010 @ 01:28 PM
link   
After my own analysis of what might be possible with the widgets offered to those who have personal and fan pages on Facebook, I decided ATS should stay far way from such things. My fears have been apparently confirmed...

Facebook's 'Like This' button is tracking you

A researcher from a Dutch university is warning that Facebook's 'Like This' button is watching your every move.

Arnold Roosendaal, who is a doctoral candidate at the Tilburg University for Law, Technology and Society, warns that Facebook is tracking and tracing everyone, whether they use the social networking site or not.

Roosendaal says that Facebook's tentacles reach way beyond the confines of its own web sites and subscriber base because more and more third party sites are using the 'Like This' button and Facebook Connect.

The researcher provides three examples of how the 'Like This' button on any web page can gather user browser data and send it back to Facebook.

From time to time, we've received a number of requests (some on the board, most through our contact email or private messages) to integrate some of the "easy" widgets that allow people to like an ATS thread and/or immediately link the threads on their walls. Since these features always involve some JavaScript that would be called from ATS, the potential for tracking is rather serious.

Side note:

Yes we have a Facebook page -- but it's intended to draw Facebook users to ATS, not ATS users to Facebook.

Yes we have a link to Facebook on many pages -- but it first goes through our own referral-stripping process so that "Facebook" has no idea where you were when you clicked the link.

posted on Nov, 30 2010 @ 01:33 PM
link   
Would facebook be classed as an intelligence service?

I am sure they collect more info on people than most around the world. People never actually make connections like you just made, and i am glad ats is what it is. Nothing is perfect, but facebook is something awful.

posted on Nov, 30 2010 @ 01:38 PM
link   
reply to post by SkepticOverlord

I have a FB and I'm very active on it. I hit the like button often on various site but I'm not too worried about it. If they are threatened by my love of 80s music, Mars related jewelry and cheesy love applications then so be it.

I do see your point however on not having it for threads. I do post threads on FB but there are many threads I do not link to on my FB. How can they track you like this? Is it legal is my question. I have always read and kind of figured myself that they keep track of everything you do on there. The one thing that I wonder about is when you deny a friend request, it only asks you to label the person as "spam" or "that you don't know them." I always wondered why it asked me if I was sure I didn't know this person. I don't just want everyone on my personal FB. That is the only thing about FB that creeps me out honestly.

posted on Nov, 30 2010 @ 01:41 PM
link   
Yep, I knew this (though can't remember where I read about this in the past) good to see it has been verified by another source.

posted on Nov, 30 2010 @ 01:50 PM
link   
All in all SkepticOverlord...

Does it really matter?
Seriously, if they wanted to 'track' anything to and from ATS, they can.
With or without their links.

Facebook is a huge, ingenious tracking shelf.
People on there just do the work for those that wanted their information.
(if they actually do is the conspiracy)
Similar to answering someone's questions without the person having to ask.

The only actual 'social' network I enjoy is this one.
Maybe if people got away from facebook and onto ATS, they would act less like good sheep.

Originally posted by SkepticOverlord
Yes we have a link to Facebook on many pages -- but it first goes through our own referral-stripping process so that "Facebook" has no idea where you were when you clicked the link.

Nice.

edit on 30-11-2010 by havok because: wanted to add a quote.

posted on Nov, 30 2010 @ 02:02 PM
link   

Facebook always has been, and always will be, a data-mining operation.

Mark Zuckerberg was gotten early on by our Government.

Do not believe me?

No Place To Hide

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/4884c080bdec.jpg[/atsimg]

Amazon Review :

George Orwell envisioned Big Brother as an outgrowth of a looming totalitarian state, but in this timely survey Robert O'Harrow Jr. portrays a surveillance society that's less centralized and more a joint public/private venture.

Indeed, the most frightening aspect of the Washington Post reporter's thoroughly researched and naggingly disquieting chronicle lies in the matter-of-fact nature of information hunters and gatherers and the insatiable systems they've concocted.

Here is a world where data is gathered by relatively unheralded organizations that smooth the way for commercial entities to find the good customers and avoid dicey ones.

Government of course too has an interest in the data that's been mined.

Information is power, especially when trying to find the bad guys.

The mutually compatible skills and needs shared by private and public snoopers were fusing prior to the attacks of 9/11, but the process has since gone into hyperdrive.

O'Harrow weaves together vignettes to record the development of the "security-industrial complex," taking pains to personalize his chronicle of a movement that's remained (perhaps purposefully) faceless.

Recognizing the appeal of state-of-the-art systems that can track down a murderer/rapist with heretofore unimaginable speed, the author recognizes, too, that the same devices can mistakenly destroy reputations and cast a pall over a free society.

In a post-9/11 world where homeland security often trumps personal liberty, this work is an eye-opener for those who take their privacy for granted.

Read the above book.

Still do not believe me?

Well, have a look at this YouTube video, and think about it.

The Truth about Facebook!

Still do not believe me?

The World-Wide Web of Surveillance of Your Online/Offline Activities

Now, after all that being said, a data-mining operation, Government, or corporate-financed and Government subsidized, like Facebook is, is absolutely powerless, if you're not doing anything illegal, if you know your Constitutional Rights, and as well if you're intelligent enough to just keep talking about inane, boring, and even controversial topics.

For the rest of your life.

Besides that, if you never cross into criminal, semi-criminal, or terrorist type activities it is meaningless.

On top of this you can bypass all of those checks and balances without ever having criminal intent.

It's called being an aware citizen who knows your rights under law.

You are allowed to know what your Government is doing at all times in your name.

Whether they want you to or not and without ever doing a single illegal action.
edit on 11/30/10 by SpartanKingLeonidas because: Adding Depth and Insight Into the Post.

posted on Nov, 30 2010 @ 02:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by mblahnikluver
I have a FB and I'm very active on it. I hit the like button often on various site but I'm not too worried about it. If they are threatened by my love of 80s music, Mars related jewelry and cheesy love applications then so be it

But that's your choice and I'm fine with that... my online habits are very similar.

However, it's another thing for a website owner to impose this type of thing on every visitor without giving them the choice.

posted on Nov, 30 2010 @ 02:12 PM
link   
reply to post by andy1033

Facebook is ran by the CIA.

posted on Nov, 30 2010 @ 02:20 PM
link   

I have a FB and I'm very active on it. I hit the like button often on various site but I'm not too worried about it. If they are threatened by my love of 80s music, Mars related jewelry and cheesy love applications then so be it

But that's your choice and I'm fine with that... my online habits are very similar.

However, it's another thing for a website owner to impose this type of thing on every visitor without giving them the choice.

SkepticOverlord, Facebook, like ATS has terms and conditions of service.

Atypical of most online users, the vast majority ignore the legalese and fine print, usually.

This is one of the systemic reasons why the Moderators have so many people acting up here.

Because, people rarely, if ever read those terms and conditions.

Even polling people about it they tend to lie.

Why?

They do not want to be seen as stupid, ignorant, or out of their depth.

I've been online now since AOL was $3.50 an hour.

I've studied "the online world" now since the early 90's.

Yes, it may in fact be mblahnikluver's, yours, and my thoughts that we need to be notified in advance.

In fact we are.

Just as in real life, nobody likes lawyers, laws, or confusing jabbering on about cooperation.

Having said that I've read ATS and Facebook's terms and conditions before I ever started posting.

But I know legalese, fine print, policy, procedure, and protocol and I'm an attention to detail person.

Thank you for not putting a Facebook "Like" button on ATS.

Just one more thing to show you're thinking about us as members.

posted on Nov, 30 2010 @ 02:35 PM
link   
I closed out my Facebook, MySpace etc. It just occured to me that the people I interfaced with are my family who I see and talk to most everyday, why would I need Facebook. My daughters and son have FB so they can get in touch with old friends from school etc.

I don't like to be tracked, no point in my opinion.

posted on Nov, 30 2010 @ 03:47 PM
link   

I have a FB and I'm very active on it. I hit the like button often on various site but I'm not too worried about it. If they are threatened by my love of 80s music, Mars related jewelry and cheesy love applications then so be it.

Facebook is more about who you associate with, who you talk to, and what information you know.

Then, you are targeted, for third-party relationships through advertising.

This information is as well shared up the line for communications keywords.

Talk about aliens?

Well, Government, wants to know that.

Talk about Secret Societies?

Talk about overthrowing America?

However, some applications, are profiling your actions, thoughts, and words.

Through many books, the one I posted previously, plus a host of others I figured out a lot.

Pirates vs Ninjas anyone?

It is profiling your demographics and which one you would align with if and when the proverbial feces hits the oscillating current device.

Mafia Wars anyone?

It is profiling your demographics and if you think like a criminal, sociopath, or psychopath.

Farmville anyone?

It is profiling your demographics and if you're a manipulator, welfare-minded, or just a data-miner.

All of the appplications have a tendency if not direct correlation towards profiling you, mentally.

I do see your point however on not having it for threads. I do post threads on FB but there are many threads I do not link to on my FB. How can they track you like this? Is it legal is my question. I have always read and kind of figured myself that they keep track of everything you do on there. The one thing that I wonder about is when you deny a friend request, it only asks you to label the person as "spam" or "that you don't know them." I always wondered why it asked me if I was sure I didn't know this person. I don't just want everyone on my personal FB. That is the only thing about FB that creeps me out honestly.

It is fully legal I might add.

You signed up for an account there just like you did on ATS.

If you read the fine print, legalese, and terms and conditions you would see it.

Not saying you did not, however, most people breeze over them, just like on ATS.

Since Facebook is marketed as a "Social Networking" site and they told you in advance?

They can pretty much do whatever the Hell they want with everything you put on there.

Facebook's usage of legalese is well calculated so they cover their butts just like politicians.

Just like the makers of The Social Network did in not calling their movie Facebook.

The Social Network Official Trailer -In theatres Oct 1 2010

And after a fashion there is little to nothing you can do about it except be careful.

Or do not have a Facebook account.

Remember, what you say, can be used against you.

But as the old adage goes :

If you've got nothing to hide...

edit on 11/30/10 by SpartanKingLeonidas because: Adding Depth and Insight Into the Post.

posted on Nov, 30 2010 @ 03:54 PM
link   
I have to say I am very glad that ATS is not linked to facebook. If it were, I can say with certainty I would never have registered to the site. I must thank you for making the decision to keep ATS seperate from all of its various tracking features!

I have long been careful about what I do and what I say on Facebook, because I have felt that it had some pretty intense people tracking abilities. I figure if the government is really that interested in stories of my ballroom dance lessons, so be it! I've wanted to delete mine, to be honest, but it's virtually a requirement for me, because all of these young folks at school insist on using facebook for keeping track of our various group projects.

posted on Nov, 30 2010 @ 05:15 PM
link   
You know what...

Face book is exactly what people want it to be. Cause just like a play in theaters. It will stop without getting any attention.

@ Sceptic Overlord

posted on Nov, 30 2010 @ 05:25 PM
link   
As far as targeting me for advertising based on my online habits, I like that idea. Although it hasn't worked yet. I would love for relevant advertising to appear to me so I can see advertisements for products I want.

As far as government tracking, I guess they will if they want to regardless of what I do. I really don't want to live the Ikind of lifestyle required to be "off the grid".

I do understand and appreciate your concern for ATS users. ATS is a serious discussion forum anyway and social networking is not. The two are not compatible.

posted on Nov, 30 2010 @ 05:26 PM
link   
reply to post by Sinter Klaas

EXACTLY RIGHT!

Springer...

posted on Nov, 30 2010 @ 05:27 PM
link   

I agree with you
I choose to have a FB. and I don't think it's right that they keep track of what people do. It's kind of creepy. I mean what do they plan on doing with this information is what I want to know.

posted on Nov, 30 2010 @ 05:33 PM
link   
reply to post by SpartanKingLeonidas

Again wow SKL info overload
but I still love ya

I don't play those silly games and well you see what I post and I have nothing to hide. I have never really been worried about FB like many people but that is me. I am not as private as some people. I have always been an open book. I don't add people I don't know and I don't post a lot of things I would like to post which is why you don't see me posting ATS stuff on there unless it has to do with aliens, Mars or Egypt
but that is nothing new. I know they watch people and who you associate with which is why the one feature where when you deny a friend request bothers me. It asks you TWICE if you are sure that you don't know that person. That always puzzled me. The first time I saw that I knew they were monitoring who you knew and associated with.

It does amaze me at the information some will post on there, including personal information. Those things imo dont belong on the internet. If you want people to have your personal info email it to them or call them and tell them, don't tell the entire internet!

Thanks again SKL for the info, always appreciated.

posted on Nov, 30 2010 @ 06:43 PM
link   
though i dont find this exactly suprising it is nice to see that SO is looking out for his "ATS" family if you will. As far as Facebook being a govt. driven data mining source though it is possible and very likely that they do monitor it i doubt personaly anyways that they are behind it. I personaly beleive that Facebook data mines to make money through advertisments and the like. The govt im sure has other means to data mine us to death without having a dedicated site, im sure that there is some room in some un marked building right now with men and women in suits going over every thread ever started and or replied to her on ATS. just my thoughts maybe im just crazy

thank you and good day/night depending on your location in this universe.

posted on Nov, 30 2010 @ 07:31 PM
link   

hi skeptic

this is why i dont subscribe to facebook or any other sites like them and also the reason why i use a
filter that comes with my router(s) to block anything i'd like just by using a keyword.

facebook is just one of the many i block.

who knows just what they track and can track

especially with todays technology,
makes one wonder if they can also get passwords and the like using such trackers.

Marshall

thank you for not adding such a thing to the site
edit on 30-11-2010 by Marshall Twinie because: to say thank you

posted on Nov, 30 2010 @ 07:36 PM
link   
reply to post by mblahnikluver

Love you too.

I do not play games or really use Facebook except to share my ATS threads.

Occasionally, I use the chat feature, that's about it, and or messages.

I have nothing to hide either.

I do have two Facebook accounts, one for ATS/International/National friends.

The other one for Boyscouts and family.

I have two different families, one is intelligent for one reason, the other is intelligent for the other.

I love intelligent people.

I have blocked people on both accounts, on singular accounts, and denied them.

Some people, I simply do not want to associate with, some people are too nosey for their own good.

And some people are people who believe I think they're friends when I know truly they are my enemy.

As to the personal information, I've been stalked, both online and offline.

I've proven one thing through all of that.

I'm smarter than all of those childish people because I'm not a mindless barbarian.

And each and every time I've won.

Then again I read on Government, Covert Operations, and Intelligence Gathering Principles.

I'm not afraid of stalkers, sociopaths, psychopaths, or Covert Government Operators.

I am just who I am and I handle each person and situation as they come and appropriately.

You're welcome.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join