It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Vitamin D, calcium supplements unnecessary: report

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:
+54 more 
posted on Nov, 30 2010 @ 10:28 AM
link   
I am so confused. The title of my post is is the headline from a story on ctv.ca. I am no Dr, but I have been told all my life that Vitamins, especially Vitamin D are good for you. I have taken supplements my entire life and can tell the difference when I am , and am not taking them. There certainly is a benefit to taking certain supplements for certain people in my opinion. This article says that recent studies show that the benefit of taking Vitamin D is minimal for MOST people, but not all. Please read the article. I will quote some of the information from wikipedia.

From Wikipedia.com

Vitamin D receptor ligands have been shown to increase the activity of natural killer cells, and enhance the phagocytic activity of macrophages.[24] Active vitamin D hormone also increases the production of cathelicidin, an antimicrobial peptide that is produced in macrophages triggered by bacteria, viruses, and fungi.[92][93][94] Suggestions of a link between vitamin D deficiency and the onset of multiple sclerosis posited that this is due to the immune-response suppression properties of Vitamin D[95] and that vitamin D is required to activate a histocompatibility gene (HLA-DRB1*1501) necessary for differentiating between self and foreign proteins in a subgroup of individuals genetically predisposed to MS.[96] Whether vitamin D supplements during pregnancy can lessen the likelihood of the child developing MS later in life is not known;[97][98] however, vitamin D fortification has been suggested to have caused a pandemic of allergic disease[99] and an association between vitamin D supplementation in infancy and an increased risk of atopy and allergic rhinitis later in life has been found .

The molecular basis for thinking vitamin D has the potential to prevent cancer lies in its role in a wide range of cellular mechanisms central to the development of cancer.[105] These effects may be mediated through vitamin D receptors expressed in cancer cells.[24] Polymorphisms of the vitamin D receptor (VDR) gene have been associated with an increased risk of breast cancer.[106] Women with mutations in the VDR gene had an increased risk of breast cancer.[107] A 2006 study using data on over 4 million cancer patients from 13 different countries showed a marked increase in some cancer risks in countries with less sun and another metastudy found correlations between vitamin D levels and cancer. The authors suggested that intake of an additional 1,000 international units (IU) (or 25 micrograms) of vitamin D daily reduced an individual's colon cancer risk by 50%, and breast and ovarian cancer risks by 30%.[108][109][110][111] Low levels of vitamin D in serum have been correlated with breast cancer disease progression and bone metastases.[106] However, the vitamin D levels of a population do not depend on the solar irradiance to which they are exposed.[112][113][114][115] Moreover, there are genetic factors involved with cancer incidence and mortality which are more common in northern latitudes.[116][117] A 2006 study found that taking the U.S. RDA of vitamin D (400 IU per day) cut the risk of pancreatic cancer by 43% in a sample of more than 120,000 people from two long-term health surveys.[118][119] However, in male smokers a 3-fold increased risk for pancreatic cancer in the highest compared to lowest quintile of serum 25-hydroxyvitamin D concentration has been found.[120]

edit on 30-11-2010 by Corruption Exposed because: fix link

edit on 30-11-2010 by Corruption Exposed because: (no reason given)

Sorry about that, but the rest of MY OP is directly below due to problems with quotations.
edit on 30-11-2010 by Corruption Exposed because: problem with quotes

posted on Nov, 30 2010 @ 10:30 AM
link   
reply to post by Corruption Exposed

If you found something that works for you, keep with it.

You should be careful about who you believe in these things.

posted on Nov, 30 2010 @ 10:40 AM
link   
Please visit both links at wikipedia.com and the link to ctv.ca to view the conflicting information.The wikipedia lists many different benefits for the use of vitamin D. I for one believe that if one cannot consume the required nutrients and vitamins the body needs, it would be logical to get these minerals via concentrated supplements. I have a feeling this study will be discredited at a later time. I remember a few years ago the medical community had a big Vitamin D push, it was all you could see on television for a while. Any thoughts on this? Does anyone take supplements such as Vitamin D? My Dr advised I take it for multiple reasons, including mild anxiety and insomnia.
edit on 30-11-2010 by Corruption Exposed because: link

posted on Nov, 30 2010 @ 10:46 AM
link   
I am just going to out and say it, food and sunlight are good for you. If you do not get enough food or sunlight you will end up in poor health at some point. Eat well, keep active and enjoy your time in the sun.

posted on Nov, 30 2010 @ 10:49 AM
link   
reply to post by TheRemedial

I agree, but sometimes life leaves you short of time to eat, properly, exercise, or get sunlight. I try to do all these to the best of my ability. Not of all us can do this, which is why we take supplements. I also take many other kinds of supplements that have anti-oxidants. I live in Canada, and it is not as easy as you think (or cost effective) to get fresh vegetables year round without buying non local products from other countries that really hit the wallet.

posted on Nov, 30 2010 @ 10:50 AM
link   
I heard this this am and was astonished that they would make this report about it only being good for bone health when I know that that is a lie.

what is happening is that there are statistics coming in about how this is becoming a miracle healing for many health related problems and so tptb see it as a way of losing money form sickness and RX revenue.

posted on Nov, 30 2010 @ 10:51 AM
link   
About three years ago, I went to a Naturopath for high blood pressure. He placed me on some type of organic high blood pressure meds, but with little or no effect. About a year and a half ago, I went to a MD who practiced both traditional and non-traditional medicine and explained that I wanted to reduce my blood pressure but that I did NOT want to start blood pressure medicine. At that time, my blood pressure was 200 over 110 and the nurse about fainted when she took it (she actually took it twice, thinking she had made an error).

In talking with my new Dr., he indicated that there was a study done in (Norway?, Sweden?) that showed dramatic blood pressure reduction JUST from taking vitamin D3, so my doctor started me on 10,000 IU of Vitamin D3 a day. He told me he has had good results with this before, and I can certainly vouch for that. My BP is now 128 over 78. I feel the pharmaceutical companies do not want this to be common knowledge, or this would all but eliminate their HBP meds. I realize that taking D3 may not work for every case, but IMHO, it should be the first course of action for anyone with high BP until it is shown NOT to work.

ILAL

no thing

posted on Nov, 30 2010 @ 10:54 AM
link   
I used to believe in taking supplements for an advantage in health, but now I have found the exact opposite. Vitamin D, along with other vitamins and minerals, was something I took everyday in quite large doses for not only my health condition but overall health. When I stopped taking any supplements, I actually felt better and realized that my body can not assimilate and utilize these supplements. There are many different forms of all kinds of vitamins and minerals, some definitely working much better than others, but specifically with Vitamin D, I never noticed any improvement in my health. The only Vitamin D supplement you need is sunlight.

posted on Nov, 30 2010 @ 10:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by antar
I heard this this am and was astonished that they would make this report about it only being good for bone health when I know that that is a lie.

what is happening is that there are statistics coming in about how this is becoming a miracle healing for many health related problems and so tptb see it as a way of losing money form sickness and RX revenue.

I am in complete agreement with you.

It seems as though msm is NOT the place to get any sort of health information these days for that very reason.

and that's a real shame....

posted on Nov, 30 2010 @ 11:07 AM
link   
reply to post by SinkingSun

I am very sorry to hear that they did not work well for you. I am happy to hear that you are doing better now though, even if it is without taking supplements. Perhaps the benefit depends on the individual. At least you are feeling better now and do not have to pay the cost to stay stocked up on these supplements, because they also can be very expensive over time.

posted on Nov, 30 2010 @ 11:13 AM
link   

Originally posted by SinkingSun
I used to believe in taking supplements for an advantage in health, but now I have found the exact opposite. Vitamin D, along with other vitamins and minerals, was something I took everyday in quite large doses for not only my health condition but overall health. When I stopped taking any supplements, I actually felt better and realized that my body can not assimilate and utilize these supplements. There are many different forms of all kinds of vitamins and minerals, some definitely working much better than others, but specifically with Vitamin D, I never noticed any improvement in my health. The only Vitamin D supplement you need is sunlight.

If you take large doses they can cause problems. I would agree with the sunlight being all a person needs, but in Canada even though we get sunshine in the winter, having to cover everything exposed, to avoid frostbite, that point is moot.

In the summer, I don't take Vitamin D, I also don't wear sunscreen, so I get plenty. Come wintertime, it's too cold to get exposure. At least in the prairies and up north it is.

They said it is only "anecdotal evidence" that if we raise our Vit D supplement in the winter, Canadians get less flus. When anecdotal evidence is based on an entire country, I'll go with that and keep supplementing in the winter.

Maybe they would rather people got the flu shot instead? Funny how this comes out at the beginning of flu season.

posted on Nov, 30 2010 @ 11:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by SinkingSun
When I stopped taking any supplements, I actually felt better and realized that my body can not assimilate and utilize these supplements.

I know people like to sneer at 'big pharma' but the vitamin peddlars are 'little pharma'. A doctor friend of mine says that at best people are just peeing their money away. At worse you may be putting your body out of sync. Recently I saw a customer in a (so called) health food shop asking a sales assistant about a remedy for a particular ailment. She got out a big book and read parrot fashion what it said about a certain supplement. Now that customer could have been suffering from something serious. And there they were being sold some obscure pills by a clueless 18 year old.

posted on Nov, 30 2010 @ 11:35 AM
link   
Since my simple and fast post got so many positive responses I will give a little info on how this vitamin has changed the lives of a couple people very close to me:

Last spring my 95 yr Grandpa had an accident where he broke his leg and ribs. He has rheumatoid arthritis and is prone to flareups which disable him completely. He also suffers diabetes and gout.

I went to my local healthfoods store and talked with the owner who told me about D-50's and K2 and that I could give it a try.

I started Grandpa on it right away and long short at his 6 week check up the bone was completely healed. A miracle?

He had gone into a rest home for rehab (not my choice) and while there contracted C-Diff, i went back to the healthfoods store in fear of losing my Grandpa, he was on his death bed and family was coming in from around the country.

We decided to put him back on the D-50's regardless of what the Dr.s said against it. He had been on it every day for 2 weeks in the rest home before the Drs said no more as his levels were too high. That had given him only 3 weeks on this regime between hospital time and a couple weeks at the rest home!

I also put him on natural probiotics which he is still on daily and after he returned home had him do one D-50 per day with the K2 which reduced his frequent bruising which he has suffered for years any time he bumped his hands or body.

I gave him one a day for a month after he came home, we then reduced it to every other day and then three times a week, and finally once a week. he still continues the K2 daily along with his multi.

He has been more alive and alert than I have seen him in years, his energy levels are fantastic especially for a 95 yrold. He is sharp and one more important thing about his story with D-50's ...

Grandpa has had prostrate cancer for years and every 3 months goes in for his PSA, he gets shots which cost 1,800 and are quite painful. Since he returned home his PSA have been at normal to above normal range and he is in prostrate cancer remission.

Was this because of the D-50's? I do not know for certain but since taking it he has had a continued and gradual regaining of his prior life and independence, he has had NO flareups of Rheumatoid, No diabetic ups and down and has stayed well within his safe limits, but what is the greatest thing to see is his mental state.

Now this is not the only experience with D-50's I have experienced first hand. My little great Aunt 91 who lives with us has Alzheimer's and with the success from Grandpa, I decided to try it on her too. Now I did the same thing because she was at a point where she could no longer speak, eat solid foods, feed herself, dress, and walk.

Within one week she was talking, dressing herself and actually putting on everything in her closet! Something which she had not done in a couple years! My brother who came to visit got to see this first hand and as a Medical professional was amazed at the difference in our Aunt.

Within one month her memories began to come back and she could recall some of her childhood, again we were having to place bells on the doors and her room because she would begin wandering, walking .

She stayed on this D-50 regime for about 3 months which was nothing short of miraculous. Also to note she was taking the K-2's and her multi's. Now to be honest, it seemed to platue and she began to reverse again so I cut back on the D-50's just like I did Grandpa and it seemed to be the right thing to do as she would at least hold at the level she is now.

I give her one a week and for a couple days after she is a joy! Also I have cut way way back on her Alzheimer meds which once after being on the D50' she told me made her feel afraid! They made her feel fearful! that explained alot!!!

Anyway gotta go for now, but yes, I stand by my first post and do not think that what has come out in this report is anything but steering the sick ship with $ as it's captain.

posted on Nov, 30 2010 @ 11:40 AM
link   
Hi

I am a nutritionist and I can tell you that vitamins, along with all natural health products, are under extreme attack from the conventional food and medical industries. They spend hundreds of millions a year on disinformation to make you think vitamins are unnecessary and even dangerous. And now with Codex Alimentarius it is going to become very difficult to get them, even with a prescription. They want us to get ill, it's all part of the plan.

The sad fact is we do not get enough nutrients from our food due to modern agricultural practice, with soils depleted and heavy use of chemicals. The average orange for example contains less than 25% of its vitamin c content than from 50yrs ago.

So we do need to supplement. However the quality of supplement, and the correct doses, are vital to get right. Obviously if one is eating fresh organic fruit and veg, getting exercise and sunlight in moderate amounts, then supplementation will not need to be as high. To give you an idea, 15 mins in bright sunlight will generate about 10-15000 IUs (international units) of vit D. Therefore if you live in a country that doesn't get much sun, you should supplement say 10000 IUs per day. Vit D is critical for immune function, so it doesn't surprise me that it is being targeted for misinformation.

This is a massive subject and there isn't room to go into everything here but I highly recommend checking out Philip Day and his book Health Wars (www.amazon.co.uk...=sr_1_4?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1291138635&sr=1-4 - read the customer reviews) which covers this in detail and is compelling reading. But the bottom line is be wary who you take advice from. Conventional doctors are paid by the pharmaceutical industry, who do not like natural health as they don't make any money from it. Sad but true. This is what happens when profit is the driving force in healthcare.

Peace

posted on Nov, 30 2010 @ 11:46 AM
link   
reply to post by antar

I certainly agree with both your posts. I cannot help but think that all this debunking of vitamin use is somewhat related to TPTB and there thirst for more money due to sick people paying for big pharma. That is a whole other thread on it's own. I also agree that countless individual experiences kind of back up our theory that some supplements work for some people with noticeable positive results. I have seen many reports of mainstream media debunking herbs, nutrients, and supplements that have been used for thousands of years by many different cultures all over the world. Most of us are aware of TPTB wanting to outlaw vitamins and supplements in Europe and in North America for their personal gain. Feel free to look up The Codex Alimentarius Commission on the ATS search engine. It has been discussed in detail on this site.

posted on Nov, 30 2010 @ 12:02 PM
link   
Well...

What I know is this:

Vitamins are needed supplements are not. If you have the right eating habits that is. Cause then it will all be in there. Supplements will cause an overdose of vitamins, which is bad cause they have a tendancy to be very toxic when you have to much of them.

Vitamin D is not really a vitamin. It is a substance that makes it easier for you body to take what it needs from your food in regard to vitamins.

posted on Nov, 30 2010 @ 12:09 PM
link   
With regards to calcium: a note about what I've recently been told...

Women have been told to take calcium supplements for years to prevent osteoporosis as we age. However, recently it has been reported to be a significant contributor to memory loss and dementia. Many people close to me (grandmother and mother) as well as friends of my mother (who all go to different M.D's) have all been told to stop taking calcium supplements immediately...
edit on 30-11-2010 by LadySkadi because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 30 2010 @ 12:11 PM
link   
reply to post by Corruption Exposed

Here is a very important video in light of this bill passing today if I am right:

What 'if' they are attempting to make illegal the supplements which would cure people of the live and tainted viruses and diseases they are using as a means to global population reduction?

Our children are being raised so very differently than our grandparents day and age when food was food, safe and healthy. With all of the new emerging diseases today in light of the base we have had in healthy grandparents, parents, what will the future look like when all of those benefits are something to be found only in the secrets of the past DNA?
edit on 30-11-2010 by antar because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 30 2010 @ 12:16 PM
link   
reply to post by LadySkadi

Here's the thing, it is a coverup for the tainted beef industry, your family would benefit greatly by these supplements to maintain what they have and thats why these new reports are coming out. Blame the calcium.

posted on Nov, 30 2010 @ 12:16 PM
link   
reply to post by antar

This is absolutely incredible!! Thank you for sharing I will need to do more research on this bill. The same thing is happening at a slower pace in Canada. I cannot find a source at the moment, I will add once I find it. But last year some time the government of Canada sent a letter of liability to all vendors of non pharmaceutical herbs and supplements. It was pretty much a publicity stunt to slowly prepare the public to get used to not having these products readily available unless you get them prescribed by your doctor... we all know that pharmaceuticals cost more.... go figure.

Here is a link discussing this bill I was mentioning...globalreseach.ca

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join