It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What's the deal with this whole wikki leaks thing?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 28 2010 @ 06:09 PM
link   
I don't want to sound stupid but could someone explain a few things about the wikki leaks story..
I don't know much about it but I'm seeing alot of talk on the net and in the media..
Firstly who are they? And where do they get their information from? And if they are revealing information that could be potentially damaging to big governments around the world. How do they get away with it, without one if these governments bringing them down? Could there be some sort of conspiracy behind the whole thing?

Thanks in advance if someone answer a few of those questions
edit on 28-11-2010 by Misterlondon because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 28 2010 @ 06:16 PM
link   
Put it this way.

If he really was doing this to gov, he would be in a padded room, and would never be able to talk again, that is what they do to people in the real world, who do give out stuff.

I think its like ministry of truth from the novel 1984. Its being done to rewrite history.

posted on Nov, 28 2010 @ 06:23 PM
link   
reply to post by Misterlondon

I was just gonna post a thread like this. I don't get it. I went on the site but it doesn't make sense to me.

posted on Nov, 28 2010 @ 06:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by mikesk8s247

I was just gonna post a thread like this. I don't get it. I went on the site but it doesn't make sense to me.

Exactly!! Don't get it

posted on Nov, 28 2010 @ 06:27 PM
link   
Best thing to do is peruse all the threads that are being posted about it.

As the days go by, the information will be broken down into easier to understand and digestible posts.

This is ATS. you cant believe everything you read.. but a wealth of information is at your disposal.

Research and examine the info that is out there for yourself and come to your own conclusions.. not what somebody else WANTS you to believe.

posted on Nov, 28 2010 @ 06:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by andy1033
Put it this way.

If he really was doing this to gov, he would be in a padded room, and would never be able to talk again, that is what they do to people in the real world, who do give out stuff.

I think its like ministry of truth from the novel 1984. Its being done to rewrite history.

Ashamed to say I've never actually read 1984.. But j have heard alot about it, and know the general idea..

The whole thing does seem strange to me, maybe your right?

posted on Nov, 28 2010 @ 06:29 PM
link   
reply to post by TwiTcHomatic

Thanks for the heads up..

posted on Nov, 28 2010 @ 06:30 PM
link   
To be honest after reading through a majority of the New wikileaks archives so far theres not really much to be concerned about, basically its embarrasing to the U.S as theve essentially been "Bitching" about Goverments/Rulers in other countries, but thats only to be expected, who doesnt bitch about other countries right?] essentially Memos/messages from us contacts in emabassies having a general chit chat about whats going down, nothing TOP secret just stuff that will make the respective poeple Blush a bit
And so they should those Utter Tools.

posted on Nov, 28 2010 @ 06:32 PM
link   

Wikileaks are a group of thousands of individuals. They get their information from people inside of organizations who leak it out. Just as there's always going to be corrupt people in places of power there will also always be people willing to leak secret information out.

The reason they can get away with it is because they use the Internet, which is unregulated. The reason Assange hasn't been "caught" is because what he's doing isn't really illegal and they have a passworded insurance file that people have downloaded and if WikiLeaks is somehow taken down the password will be released.

They're anti-war and pro-truth.
edit on 28/11/10 by Nventual because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 28 2010 @ 06:35 PM
link   

I feel the same about wikileaks. Everyone is like OMG wikileaks is saying all of these things... the spindocters are like this proves that the US government is corrupt or that the Iranian government is corrupt. But when you look at the documents itself they really don't say anything that seems meaningful and it looks like wikileaks is just releasing documents about stuff that people just say something is what it is, and they don't examine the documents themselves. If they do examine the documents themselves than I apologize but it just seems like I can't really trust them for their word. Their documents are not really parsimonious if you know what I mean.

posted on Nov, 28 2010 @ 06:36 PM
link   
reply to post by Frankidealist35

WikiLeaks just release the documents, they don't give their opinions on what's in the documents - the Media does that.
They DO check the documents before they release them, to make sure there's nothing in them that could get an individual killed or harmed. (they remove names, etc)

posted on Nov, 28 2010 @ 06:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by Frankidealist35

I feel the same about wikileaks. Everyone is like OMG wikileaks is saying all of these things... the spindocters are like this proves that the US government is corrupt or that the Iranian government is corrupt. But when you look at the documents itself they really don't say anything that seems meaningful and it looks like wikileaks is just releasing documents about stuff that people just say something is what it is, and they don't examine the documents themselves. If they do examine the documents themselves than I apologize but it just seems like I can't really trust them for their word. Their documents are not really parsimonious if you know what I mean.

I can't really go that far into it yet.. considering only about 5% of the cables have been released so far... you have to wonder if they are saving the best for last.

Their strategy of not releasing everything at once is a smart move... with a large bulk of material, things tend to get overlooked. This way, there is time for ALL the information to be picked apart.

posted on Nov, 28 2010 @ 06:41 PM
link   
For all you know wikileaks volunteers could be posting on this very forum.

posted on Nov, 28 2010 @ 06:48 PM
link   
This should clear up a few questions
www.youtube.com...#!

posted on Nov, 28 2010 @ 08:13 PM
link   
Although I am never 100% convinced of anything unless the proof is right there in front of me I do think wikileaks is the real thing. As mentioned they simply release raw information. They don't really tell us what to believe or what the truth is. That is up to the reader and or the media outlet that reports the information. As far as their front man Julian Assange, the reason he is not dead or disappeared is because he has made himself a known player on the world stage. His death would certainly be a scandal that could cause even more problems for governments involved then allowing him to continue. Keep in mind he is under investigation for rape in Switzerland. He claims it's a false charge made to discredit him. So it's not as if he's just living a normal life releasing this information. He does live with no fixed address almost on the lam.

Whether wikileaks has an agenda beyond simply getting this information out there to be judged by the public is hard to prove either way. I do think the info is real and not false, there's just too much of it, and if there was an agenda to manipulate the debate, I think they would be more selective in what information they release, rather then just giving everything for public consumption.

Gone are the days of Walter Cronkite, is it better or worse that we get so much more information from so many different places now. As opposed to that on trusted anchor we let into our living rooms very night. I would say the scenario we have now is better, there may be more bad information put out there but at least it's harder for any one government or cabal to control it.

posted on Nov, 28 2010 @ 08:17 PM
link   
reply to post by TedHodgson

so far, we only have 220 / 260,000 documents to go.. so stay tuned..

2nd..

posted on Nov, 28 2010 @ 08:19 PM
link   
go to: cablegate.wikileaks.com

Basically they collect secret, classified government documents and information and release it to the public. They do this because they realize that information is power and the more information the public, the world, has about it's governments the more educated decisions we can make about our governments, because after all we do elect our officials. Essentially they're just trying to end corruption and expose the truth.

posted on Nov, 29 2010 @ 03:18 AM
link   
reply to post by Komodo

Oh ballz, im gonna need some glasses after ive read it all =/

top topics

join