It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A Nuclear Standoff With Libya

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 27 2010 @ 03:17 PM
link   

A Nuclear Standoff With Libya

www.theatlantic.com

The month-long crisis, never revealed by the Obama administration or reported in the press, is recorded in U.S. State Department documents obtained by The Atlantic. Those documents tell the story of frantic diplomatic maneuvering as U.S. and Russian officials pushed Libyan leaders to honor their disarmament pledge. A person with access to the cables provided them to The Atlantic in order to publicize the dangers of loose nuclear materials under the control of unpredictable regimes in unstable countries.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Nov, 27 2010 @ 03:17 PM
link   
This is the reason why leaked information is a necessary evil in this day and age... how else are we to know what is truly going on in the world?

I just thought this was an interesting article.. especially with the Wikileaks event that is unfolding.

We all know there is so much going on behind the scenes that we will never hear about... some we may not even WANT to know about.

Its a crazy world we are living in.

www.theatlantic.com

posted on Nov, 27 2010 @ 03:25 PM
link   
I think people get carried away with what average American citizens -- or anyone -- need to know.

Libya agrees to ship uranium out of their country via a Russian plane. Then, Libya says: "No wait. Nevermind." (Most likely trying to shake more money or more aide or something out of the deal). When a deal is reached again, a month later, the uranium leaves Libya.

Why do we really need to know that? Had they made the announcement that lightly guarded enriched uranium casks were just sitting in Libya -- that would rather dangerous don't you think? If I were a Libyan citizen I surely wouldn't want my government to advertise such a potentially powerful product sitting around waiting for someone to try and take it.

I guess I still believe that some things, although much less than the government has determined, should remain classified and out of the public's eye. This is one of them in my opinion.

posted on Nov, 27 2010 @ 03:47 PM
link   
I don't know that I'd call this a standoff.
I'm not so sure that this leak is that important. It just seems like an everyday new story, I mean it should have been released after it was over with. I don't think there is anything to warrant much concern. Without details it's hard to say how safe it was, and it's Libya! I wouldn't be surprised if they haven't sold enriched uranium to anyone that came asking.

If this info was free to the people when the time came it might have made a situation, that was in no way threatening if people weren't aware of it, more threatening. So it's best this was kept out of the news. Not from us, but from people who could make an attempt at that Uranium.

I think it's weird that this is the first I have heard about Libya actually going through and getting rid of their nuclear program. Maybe it was talked about, but I didn't know the job was finished last year.
edit on 27-11-2010 by GogoVicMorrow because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 27 2010 @ 03:55 PM
link   
and im sure the govt wouldnt want you to know about it either. cant propogate stories about those evil brown people with news reports of them being peaceful and cooperative floating about now can you?

posted on Nov, 27 2010 @ 04:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by TwiTcHomatic

We all know there is so much going on behind the scenes that we will never hear about... some we may not even WANT to know about.

www.theatlantic.com

I disagree that there are things we don't want to know. Knowledge is power, I want to know everything. Our minds are our best weapons, keep them sharp.

This is ATS after all.

posted on Nov, 27 2010 @ 07:06 PM
link   
reply to post by watchitburn

My votes with you

I want to know all thats done 'in my name' and all that's done against me and mine - and anyone 'wide awake ' should feel the same.

top topics

join