It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Homeland Security shuts down dozens of Web sites without court order

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 28 2010 @ 09:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by proteus33
wtf how is copyright infringement a threat to homeland security? i think that homeland security is the real threat .they are becoming the new gestapo more and more every day.

Very true. The sad part is that they are moving ahead with evil agenda, working diligently to accomplish a goal of technological slavery for the world (America and the UK just happens to be the beasts they need to tie up the fastest) ....but Americans are still, just sitting and doing NOTHING. Part of their plan was for generation after generation, to lethargize America and make it lazy by giving it a life of illusionary affluence, in comparison to the rest of the world.....and it worked. When you make someone lazy, it is hard to get them motivated again. This is why it's so hard to get up and moving after you sleep at night. "Contentment and convienience are traps set for the lazy and lethargic". America will show her strength when pushed into a corner that she feels she can't back out of, and no number of techno toys, military or right infringing laws created from lies and tyranny can douse the fire of fury coming from a collective countrys' anger. I wonder if the elites have planned for their demise once they push too far? The elites THINK that if a revolution comes that they can run and hide somewhere and control things from a distance, what they may have not thought of is that they are working for WORLD slavery, meaning the whole WORLD will be looking for them. There are notable names that people will be seacrhing for first and through a means of "coaxing" these names will give up other names. (chill out H.S., I am just stating what I think is going to happen as a result of your actions, I make no threats of my own), anyway, through a means, of "coaxing" information out of these notable names, they will give up other names and the list will go on. The bad thing about trying to enslave the world is that you had beter be OFF THE WORLD that you do this to if things dont work out!
edit on 28-11-2010 by Phenomium because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 28 2010 @ 10:00 AM
link   
reply to post by Phenomium

You are quite the optimist. But I just can't see Amerikans ever coming to the point of rebellion en masse. I think we are just too far gone for that now. But I sincerely hope you're right, and I'm wrong.

posted on Nov, 28 2010 @ 10:01 AM
link   
reply to post by DimensionalDetective

Hmmm ... is this like what happens every time Isreal attacks Palestine and all of the links to Al Jazeera and the other pro Palestinian sites go bad? Or ....is it like the last few days when you try to link a North Korean or Chinese site and you get a redirect trying to sell you the domain name that you are attempting ..... a link you know is good....a link that worked just hours earlier....is that kinda what its like ....Hmmm

posted on Nov, 28 2010 @ 10:26 AM
link   
Well unfortunately there is basis for this censorship because our society is the way it is. There is basis because we live in a capitalist society where people can profit on media, materials such as pictures and videos. So long as in this society people can lay ownership or claim to pictures and video for profiting purposes there will always be the justification to censor such media.

Think of all the you tube videos that are in copyright infringement simply because the editor of a home video added in score music from a major motion picture. Although this is ultimately harmless, you tube is advised to remove such material because the creator is not using "all original content" in their video.

The reason record labels, producers, companies etc. are so eager to A) protect copyrights and B) persecute copyright infringement is because they want to get paid for every aspect of their "creation" and have 100% control over it. The reason this is a high priority for them is because of the "competition" bred society we live in where we compete with each other dragging one another down the mountain to be on top (king of the mountain).

This is a very childish and primal game that somehow got accepted as a foundation for societal structure throughout the world. I say its primal because ultimately is falls under "survival of the fittest" mindset which is a primitive way of conducting yourself especially if you think you are truly an "intelligent being".

I could go on and on about why all this is coming about and it all boils down to priorities and greed.

Ive seen some absolutely amazing videos and media on you tube that are capable of teaching people many different things in many different ways. A lot of the enlightenment or awakening you see in you tube videos have some form of copyrighted material in them.

This amazing aspect of human resource utilization is about to go bye bye and you will no longer see as many eye opening inspiring videos for free easy access. Instead you will have to pay, and sign up, and agree to a Berlin wall of Terms and Conditions, where within you agree to throw away certain rights.

The world we live in is insane, the world we are going to live in surpasses insanity...Its something unfathomable.

posted on Nov, 28 2010 @ 10:39 AM
link   

Originally posted by Sly1one

The world we live in is insane, the world we are going to live in surpasses insanity...Its something unfathomable.

All well stated. But this last statement kind of puts it in a nutshell.

posted on Nov, 28 2010 @ 10:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by Klassified

You are quite the optimist. But I just can't see Amerikans ever coming to the point of rebellion en masse. I think we are just too far gone for that now. But I sincerely hope you're right, and I'm wrong.

I feel that Americans are smarter than people think. The whole "Americans are stupid" that the whole world has come to recognize is a false representation, as is most of everything America leads the world to believe. America couldn't be as stupid as the world once thought or they would have never been the only superpower in the world, or the world's main trading post (before the EU) or the worlds financial capital. That is just the power of the media. The TV is no more than a box to hypnotize masses and it works. On further, The Americans have seen and had no choice but to memorize the tactics of their own government and I feel that when the straw has broken the camels back, that they will use these very tactics against their oppressors. Revolutionists will use such tactics as dressing up like the police and "surface testing" or irritating civilians everywhere just to make sure that "everyone" knows what ALL Americans are going through, thereby creating a conglomerated unity of anger. Sure, it may be unethical, but when the elites are unethical, you must be as well. When your opponent cheats, you must do the same, as the rules to the game have been effectively changed, and you will surely lose if you don't play by the same rules as your opponent. Back to the point, it's the "not knowing" or "not feeling" part that makes Americans lethargic. Many people would lay down hunting for deer, had they been shot just once. Many would help third world countries were they to go 3 weeks without food. You see, not EVERY American gets to feel the blunt impact of the government sword. The government only does the tyranny to a select few (enough to pass their tyrannical policies), and the others are left alone, therefore they don't "feel" or "know" the true impact of what is happening. The tactics (amongst many others that will be used) that I spoke of in the aforementioned text, will be used to make many "feel" the experience of others when they normally would not. This is only one tactic our government has used against the Americans that is documented. I must say again, I am not a revolutionist and am making no threats and any content I used here is only for informational purposes and violence against government is not condoned. It's ashamed I have to cover myself like that in a country that claims to have "Free Speech", but this is the lie we live. In summation, Americans are not a Jerry Springer mock up. They are freedom loving people who will have to be pushed far, but like a rubber band.....the further you push them..........the harder they will snap back!

posted on Nov, 28 2010 @ 11:07 AM
link   

Originally posted by Phenomium

I feel that Americans are smarter than people think. The whole "Americans are stupid" that the whole world has come to recognize is a false representation, as is most of everything America leads the world to believe. America couldn't be as stupid as the world once thought or they would have never been the only superpower in the world, or the world's main trading post (before the EU) or the worlds financial capital. That is just the power of the media. The TV is no more than a box to hypnotize masses and it works. On further, The Americans have seen and had no choice but to memorize the tactics of their own government and I feel that when the straw has broken the camels back, that they will use these very tactics against their oppressors. Revolutionists will use such tactics as dressing up like the police and "surface testing" or irritating civilians everywhere just to make sure that "everyone" knows what ALL Americans are going through, thereby creating a conglomerated unity of anger. Sure, it may be unethical, but when the elites are unethical, you must be as well. When your opponent cheats, you must do the same, as the rules to the game have been effectively changed, and you will surely lose if you don't play by the same rules as your opponent. Back to the point, it's the "not knowing" or "not feeling" part that makes Americans lethargic. Many people would lay down hunting for deer, had they been shot just once. Many would help third world countries were they to go 3 weeks without food. You see, not EVERY American gets to feel the blunt impact of the government sword. The government only does the tyranny to a select few (enough to pass their tyrannical policies), and the others are left alone, therefore they don't "feel" or "know" the true impact of what is happening. The tactics (amongst many others that will be used) that I spoke of in the aforementioned text, will be used to make many "feel" the experience of others when they normally would not. This is only one tactic our government has used against the Americans that is documented. I must say again, I am not a revolutionist and am making no threats and any content I used here is only for informational purposes and violence against government is not condoned. It's ashamed I have to cover myself like that in a country that claims to have "Free Speech", but this is the lie we live. In summation, Americans are not a Jerry Springer mock up. They are freedom loving people who will have to be pushed far, but like a rubber band.....the further you push them..........the harder they will snap back!

You have no idea how much I hope you are correct...

posted on Nov, 28 2010 @ 11:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by Sly1one

Originally posted by Phenomium

You have no idea how much I hope you are correct...

I noticed you have what appears to be a poisonous snake as your avatar. In many ways people are the same way. Like snakes who have a lot of venom and deadly striking power, they will try to find every reasonable means to escape or to alleviate having to use the venom for offensive purposes, but when pushed to the point of "no choice"...........even a 140lb nerd will be surprised at what he could do. I hope I am correct as well.

posted on Nov, 28 2010 @ 11:26 AM
link   

Originally posted by proteus33
wtf how is copyright infringement a threat to homeland security? i think that homeland security is the real threat .they are becoming the new gestapo more and more every day.

Because there is more going on than mere copyright infringement... Much more.

Close but no cigar!

Try as they may, they will not stop what is ultimately coming.

posted on Nov, 28 2010 @ 11:33 AM
link   
Very interesting timing. I believe that this is a direct result of the relentless pressure being applied to governments all over the world by the main stream media, and in particular News Corp. They are at war with governments all over the world because they want to regain control of information so that they can charge for access to it.

The internet has eroded the MSMs revenue as we no longer need to buy their Newspapers or watch their News programs on TV. The information we seek is all over the internet to view, discuss and debate on websites, blogs and social media outlets. Rupert is determined to start charging people for access to news on his websites but it wont work until governments implement strict copyright infringement regulations. If Newscorp has their way we will not even be able to discuss current events unless we do so on their paid sites because they are of the view that they own the news because they pay the reporters to get it.

It does make me wonder about Wikileaks. Who is really providing them with the info?, Are they being used by the MSM as tool to blackmail the government? If the government fails to act quick enough and the information is released to the public, what is the only thing the government can turn to for damage control? That would be the MSM wouldn't it?Hmmmmm

posted on Nov, 28 2010 @ 11:39 AM
link   
Thank you for this information. I was wondering what was wrong with BibliotecaPleyades.net
The site is was up yesterday, now just gone today. No messages or warnings just a blank white screen. This News headline first to come up at ATS. Never posted here before.

posted on Nov, 28 2010 @ 12:25 PM
link   
reply to post by DimensionalDetective

I don't understand how this comes under "Homeland Security" jurisdiction?

posted on Nov, 28 2010 @ 12:43 PM
link   
Most of these sites appear as though they needed to be shut down. *what* ICE attacked seemed to be more or less valid (except for a couple of hip hop blogs, but they had members posting links to copyright apparently, but I don't agree with those blogs being shut down) so its not WHAT they shut down that does it for me.

If they can shut down sites with NO court order for merely having links to copyright material, what other BS reasons can they use to shut down websites that expose these thugs (such as ats)? Scary thought. When is it going to go from copyrighted material being a viable excuse to a website "posing a threat to national security" or "aiding and abetting terrorists" Scary.

Be safe about what you post online these days, how much longer is it until they round up people for posting "copyrighted material"

posted on Nov, 28 2010 @ 02:07 PM
link   
This is probably a good thing because it will force the internet to decentralize and stop using ICANN centralized DNS servers who will bow to corrupt government. There are already alternatives out there this will just make them more popular.

I have known there were alternatives but was just lazy and never really pursued them and this just motivated me to do my research and get on one them. Here are a couple I have just come across. I am not endorsing any just yet as i am just looking at them now myself. Feel free to add to the list if you know more about this.

www.opennicproject.org...

dns.telecomix.org...

netsukuku.freaknet.org...

The first too are just alternative free DNS systems. The last one looks particularly interesting as it appears it could possibly eventually have complete internet freedom with no ability of government to control any of it. However I need to look at it further so take that with a grain of salt.
edit on 28-11-2010 by hawkiye because: (no reason given)

Here is a quote from the site:

"Netsukuku is an ad-hoc network system designed to handle massive numbers of nodes with minimal consumption of CPU and memory resources. It can be used to build a world-wide distributed, fault-tolerant, anonymous, and censorship-immune network, fully independent from the Internet. Netsukuku does not rely upon any form of backbone router, internet service provider network, or any centralized system, although it may take advantage of existing systems of this nature to augment unity and connectivity of the existing Netsukuku network."

edit on 28-11-2010 by hawkiye because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 28 2010 @ 02:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by spolcyc

If they can shut down sites with NO court order for merely having links to copyright material, what other BS reasons can they use to shut down websites that expose these thugs (such as ats)? Scary thought. When is it going to go from copyrighted material being a viable excuse to a website "posing a threat to national security" or "aiding and abetting terrorists" Scary.

This has been said before, but I will risk being repetitious here.

There is no court order because there is a current federal law that calls for these types of seizures that was sponsored by Barney Frank (D-MA). It has been in its current form since Feb 2010.

The fact that the Office of National Security is behind this is true to an extent. It is actually a child organization of NS called ICE of Immigration and Customs Enforcement, the key word being Customs here. The seizure of the domains is nothing more than a container being seized at customs containing illegal goods, just like sites. The sites were full of illegal counterfeit goods and mostly were phishing operations looking for personal and credit card info.

posted on Nov, 28 2010 @ 05:23 PM
link   
I honestly think the government needs to quit shutting down torrent and music download websites. For example who wants to pay $599 for photoshop or $199 for the upgrade to photoshop. These companies put outrageous prices on their software and then they wonder why people are illegally downloading their software. I think the government should focus more on child pornography on the web. With the all new teen sexting that is currently out of control. Pictures of 13-17 year olds are ending up on image upload websites. They need to crack down on that instead of you or I who wants to listen or download an album.

I honestly truly believe this is just ONE step closer to a fully government controlled internet. They will let us browse the web on what they want us to browse the web for. It's just another stab at our only real freedom left. The web is a place for people to have freedom, speak there minds, browse and surf their favorite websites, listen to that lady gaga album or something heavy metal. There's no reason to start "cutting" this out because "they" think it's wrong. I believe WE need to take back our freedom instead of being "voiceless" sheep to the government. WE continue to put idiots in office (presidents, senators, congress men, etc.. etc.. and we CONTINUE to let them get away with stuff like this.

If they can shut down a torrent / music, software, etc... website what can they shut down next? When and where do they stop?, Even Obama's czar even said they want to shut down conspiracy websites. (saw that on jesse ventura conspiracy theory). So even if this is true. This is all a BIG plan for something if you think long and hard about it. Why not take down torrent websites and such, what stops them from taking down conspiracy websites and other websites so we are all forced to listen to what they say. We ALL know the government lies to us. I think this is just one step closer to a full government sheep herding. We are the sheep and they are herding us back to the stable. Sad world we live in really. We've gotten our freedom of speech stripped down to the bare minimum, the freedom to vent and express our feelings is looked down upon in this country, You really can't bare arms anymore without the government saying well this is illegal, oh you need a permit for that, um those bullets need to be locked up, blah blah blah. Im tired of all this stuff are you?

posted on Nov, 28 2010 @ 05:31 PM
link   
WHO here hasn't ever downloaded music or a torrent? I know a lot of people say well they are selling copyrighted material. again WHO here hasn't ever EVER ever EVER downloaded music or a torrent. Your doing it...illegally too.

posted on Nov, 28 2010 @ 07:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by xweaponx
I For example who wants to pay $599 for photoshop or $199 for the upgrade to photoshop. These companies put outrageous prices on their software and then they wonder why people are illegally downloading their software.

Perhaps the prices are higher because of the money lost due to piracy.
If every person tht holds a copy of said program had paid for it, then I believe the publisher would be able to produce and sell ther procuct for much less.

That being said, I know that I was thrilled when I saw my music on a piracy program. I simply wanted it to get to as many people as possible, in fact I then loaded up the rest of my music. I was not in the business for the money, only a lucky few get it, but I was in it for the fans. Peer sharing has its place.

However most of the sites that were shut down were not piracy related but phishing expeditions looking for credit card info, that did not deliver a product, and if they did it was counterfeit. To me thats ok.

posted on Nov, 29 2010 @ 07:56 AM
link   

WHO here hasn't ever downloaded music or a torrent? I know a lot of people say well they are selling copyrighted material. again WHO here hasn't ever EVER ever EVER downloaded music or a torrent. Your doing it...illegally too.

I downloaded a torrent and it wasn't illegal. The torrent was Alex Jones movies. Alex gave his permission to copy any of his DVDs and give them away or even sell them if you wanted! Not all torrents are illegally sharing copyrighted material.

posted on Nov, 30 2010 @ 11:07 AM
link   

I For example who wants to pay $599 for photoshop or $199 for the upgrade to photoshop. These companies put outrageous prices on their software and then they wonder why people are illegally downloading their software.
Perhaps the prices are higher because of the money lost due to piracy.
If every person tht holds a copy of said program had paid for it, then I believe the publisher would be able to produce and sell ther procuct for much less.

The prices are high because people pay those prices and for no other reason. Look at the DVD and computer games. There is a lot more work put into those than into a software program and they still sell for 30-50 dollars. Just wait until control is absolute. The prices will triple.

I am not a pirate or a downloader of music. I have my own personal use for my computer and when I purchased a new one, it was after the return period that I found out there was no further wave or line in on the computer. It would have done me no good to return it anyway since no laptop will allow you to have the mixer available for making videos the way I make them on my computer. This deactivation of the mixer was not advertised. It was a complete surprise to everybody when they upgraded from XP to Vista and the same with Macs. This was a function of the RIAA. The software companies succumbed to lawsuit pressure even though there was no lawsuit brought against Apple or Microsoft. This corruption of software, computers, and the internet is corporate fed. There will be no congressional action since the RIAA also has purchased the souls of almost every congressional representative in Washington. All bills limiting access to computers and websites passes with almost a 100% majority. Our rights are being curtailed faster than we can even exercise them. I really see no hope for us at this time. We are not living in a Fascist state, we are living in a Fascist world. Perhaps a little help will come from Alpha Centari in 2012 but other than that...I think we are screwed.

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join