It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Homeland Security shuts down dozens of Web sites without court order

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 27 2010 @ 06:01 AM
link   
Good god, what has happened to our Country? While I DO think they should go after spammers and hackers, going after normally good websites is wrong. Sounds like they are going after torrent sites... (doesn't that wiki leaks guy put stuff on torrent sites?) Maybe its to stop that info from being released....

What *I* would worry about--if they really do take over your domain name on JUST a complaint, is that someone on a good forum/website posts a link to an illegal site with copyright stuff, and the site is taken... that is totally unjust... no warnings? come on... and WTH does this have to do with homeland security? More like information control.

posted on Nov, 27 2010 @ 10:27 AM
link   
My question here is regarding the thread title actually. The title makes it seem like this is an unlawful action, like a court order is specifically needed for the seizure of these web domains.

A court order is not necessary from what I can see. The domains were seized under United States Code Title 18 > Part I > Chapter 46 > Section 981 you can read it here

This law is current as of Feb 2010. It was sponsered by Rep. Barney Frank (Dem) of Massachusetts with no co-sponsor.

From my reading, these seizures are no different from the seizure of a container of counterfeit goods at customs, or the seizure of fake rolexes from that guy, we all know him, you know the guy outside the airport in every city in the US with a seeming endless supply of rolexes that he sells for REALLY!!!! cheap.

Unfortunately in the cyber world, the seizures take on a different meaning (seemingly) when they are really no different from the rolex guy.

posted on Nov, 27 2010 @ 10:52 AM
link   
ATS seems to be slipping. Page two of replies, and no responses blaming George Bush .

So why has Big Sis shifted her focus from the real terroist threats? From the likes of returning vets and those with Ron Paul bumper stickers? sonoranalliance.com...

posted on Nov, 27 2010 @ 10:56 AM
link   
Sounds like you're a threat to homeland security, sir.

Originally posted by proteus33
wtf how is copyright infringement a threat to homeland security? i think that homeland security is the real threat .they are becoming the new gestapo more and more every day.

posted on Nov, 27 2010 @ 11:23 AM
link   

Originally posted by v1rtu0s0

wtf how is copyright infringement a threat to homeland security? i think that homeland security is the real threat .they are becoming the new gestapo more and more every day.

To sum up Mr. v1rtu0s0 here if I may,

Homeland Security is the parent organization to the US Immigration and Customs Enforcement (the ICE in the title). Customs is respsonsible for seizure of counterfeit goods at the border or any other illegal material. Just because something exists on the internet does not make it immune from the law. Since the 'goods' in this case are nothing more than digital representations, it does not make them immune from the same seizure as tangible goods that might be seized at a border check. This is hardly Gestapo. Far from it.

posted on Nov, 27 2010 @ 11:35 AM
link   
I think you're missing the point.

I don't see any legal due dilligence being done to prove anything is counterfit. Furthermore, if a website contains one counterfit file, it doesn't seem accurate to be able to shut it down and possible multiple peoples livelihoods, for maybe they never even knew of said files existence. Next we'll be shutting down websites because they have crazy, and radical members. This website is probably next.

Originally posted by youdidntseeme

Originally posted by v1rtu0s0

To sum up Mr. v1rtu0s0 here if I may,

Homeland Security is the parent organization to the US Immigration and Customs Enforcement (the ICE in the title). Customs is respsonsible for seizure of counterfeit goods at the border or any other illegal material. Just because something exists on the internet does not make it immune from the law. Since the 'goods' in this case are nothing more than digital representations, it does not make them immune from the same seizure as tangible goods that might be seized at a border check. This is hardly Gestapo. Far from it.

edit on 27-11-2010 by v1rtu0s0 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 27 2010 @ 11:43 AM
link   
The real danger is hidden here. If they can shut down a site for infringement, they can plant copyrighted material on the site and then close it down. They will further shut down sites that are opposed to this administration under the guise they are "terrorist" related. Big Sis and Numbnutts Nancy has already called those who question their authority as terrorists. ATS is in danger as are we all. I personally feel hope is lost.

This administration is striking at the U.S. citizens because they have no opposition on their own soil. There will be no rebellion. There will be no uprising. There will be people jailed with no access to justice. There will be no remedy for the people. There will be no change with changes in administration. Policy is in place and it is difficult to change policy since all politicians have been purchased by the RIAA. There is only one alternative and that is term limits on politicians. They will sell they own children to keep their congressional office and they have sold those offices to the highest bidders already.

The actual beginning of this coup started with the loss of mixers on Windows and Macs. Tomorrow, it will be a crime to have Windows XP still loaded on your computer. There were those of us who warned of these things coming when it was discovered but no one paid attention. There is only one form of token resistance and that is to stop all purchase of DVDs and music. It could work. However, since we all seek immediate gratification, that will also fail.
edit on 27-11-2010 by Nite_wing because: Spelling

posted on Nov, 27 2010 @ 11:51 AM
link   
Why Britguy, it's brilliant! Too good to be true is right. They knew that they had lost control so, they created a valve. Let out the pressure a wee bit at a time. It's a Goddamn shame that things have gotten this rotten. Tough not staying depressed with the knowledge available today.

posted on Nov, 27 2010 @ 11:56 AM
link   
reply to post by proteus33

Thanks Proteus, I think you hit the nail on the head. This is about Commercial Code violations NOT homeland security. It isn't even CRIMINAL violations It is civil code violations!!!!

Time to Scream blue bloody murder again.

TSA groping people while our borders are over run by illegals caring automatic weapons and the Korean, and now this.

I wonder if part of this is to divert attention from the Monday vote on S-510 I understand DC was getting flooded with e-mails and phone calls tying up the lines.

posted on Nov, 27 2010 @ 11:57 AM
link   
If you go to Torrent Finder it says they shut it down with a court order.

The problem I have is that if someone from the Justice Department goes in to see a Judge he will most
likely just take their word for it and issue an order without ever researching the URL's they want to shut down.

posted on Nov, 27 2010 @ 12:36 PM
link   
NY Times

In announcing that operation, John T. Morton, the assistant secretary of ICE, and representatives of the Motion Picture Association of America called it a long-term effort against online piracy, and said that suspected criminals would be pursued anywhere in the world.

I find this quite disturbing. It's OK to see this in the US, but to see that the US has the clout to pull this off internationally really sheds light on the reality of COICA.

posted on Nov, 27 2010 @ 02:42 PM
link   
After thinking about it.. I don't know, they should have to get a court order, not to protect these sites, but for the ones they try to pass off as no different then these that happen to be torrents or something more. If they stop shutting down well known torrents it's a problem. Torrent sites do nothing wrong, they provide a service, individuals commit the crime, and Torrents aren't used only for illegal stuff (just mostly).
edit on 27-11-2010 by GogoVicMorrow because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 27 2010 @ 02:54 PM
link   
Lets take a look at one of the websites that were shut down here.

ipodnanouk.com -- a site that offered ipod nanos at ridiculously low prices....
who is info on ipodnanouk.com -- Registrant: Jianxiong Xu 707 Room,No.19B Meiyuan Road Putian, 351100 China
first hit on google when i looked up this 'company' -- canyoutrustthem.com --I 'purchased' an ipod nano from this website on 16/09/10 and became suspicious when i did not receive an email confirmation of my order. There are no contact details whatsoever on their website apart from a 'contact us' messaging service. I have tried using this many times now and have not had a response. My credit card has been charged and i am still non-the-wiser whether i have been ripped off or not! Please please please do NOT use this company or any of it's affiliates. It comes up as WWW.IECPS.COM on your credit card statement. Other websites they run include: www.newipodnanos.info and they advertise on Google.

This site was a scam credit card info phishing site, run by a what appears to be a Chinese shell operation, aimed at UK residents, offering iPod nanos but really just stealing credit card info.

The list of sites that were shut down is full of sites just like this. Promising goods shipped to you direct at low low prices, so long as you have a credit card and pay with it online. With your name, address, phone number, email address, possibly a second address if you are shipping elsewhere, credit card info, and any other info that they ask for as 'required' for your purchase. These sites were laughing all the way to the digital bank with your hijacked info. And I am supposed to think its a bad thing that they were shut down.

Someone is going to come up claiming slippery slope here, but i just dont see it. We are not at risk here on ATS. At least not from ICE. What we are at risk from though is ourselves. The enemies first line of offense will be to divide and seperate, and it seems like they are succeeding alot lately.

posted on Nov, 27 2010 @ 03:35 PM
link   
Theyre worried about counterfeit goods being sold when they need to worry about more serious stuff?? Why would homeland security be sweating that anyway? Is it because they're not receiving a tax off the goods lol. I say keep your freggin nose out of it no one is getting hurt by it no one is getting murdered just a man making a buck in these hard times and people already should know what they're getting into when they buy this stuff.
edit on 27-11-2010 by AvireX because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 27 2010 @ 05:15 PM
link   
reply to post by antar

heres one,my favorite torent search engine, used it to find wiki insurance file lol hmm maybe they are that worried about it. torrent-finder.com...

posted on Nov, 27 2010 @ 05:56 PM
link   
So if a hacker comes along, and copies an entire website and then gets a $1.00 domain name and uploads all the stolen content, will they have it taken down?

posted on Nov, 27 2010 @ 05:57 PM
link   
reply to post by youdidntseeme

Thanks for posting that list of the affected (seized) websites. Out of curiosity I started running their names through whois, and a pattern soon became apparent.

Here's the whois results for the first twenty. I haven't given the full readout with each one as it's probably not really necessary here.

Domain Name: 2009JERSEYS.COM
Registrar: BEIJING INNOVATIVE LINKAGE TECHNOLOGY LTD. DBA DNS.COM.CN
Whois Server: whois.dns.com.cn
Referral URL: http:// www.dns .com.cn
Name Server: NS1.SEIZEDSERVERS.COM
Name Server: NS2.SEIZEDSERVERS.COM
Updated Date: 24-nov-2010
Creation Date: 14-jul-2009
Expiration Date: 14-jul-2013

Domain Name: 51607.COM

Domain Name: AMOYHY.COM

Domain Name: B2CORDER.COM

Domain Name: BISHOE.COM

Domain Name: BORNTRADE.COM
Registrar: GODADDY.COM, INC.

Domain Name: BORNTRADE.NET
Registrar: HICHINA ZHICHENG TECHNOLOGY LTD.

Domain Name: BOXEDTVSERIES.COM
Registrar: ENOM, INC.

Domain Name: BOXSET4LESS.COM
Registrar: XIN NET TECHNOLOGY CORPORATION
Whois Server: whois. paycenter .com.cn

Domain Name: BOXSETSERIES.COM

Domain Name: BURBERRYOUTLETSHOP.COM
Registrar: HICHINA ZHICHENG TECHNOLOGY LTD.

Domain Name: CARTOON77.COM

Domain Name: CHEAPSCARFSHOP.COM
Registrar: BIZCN.COM, INC.

Domain Name: COACHOUTLETFACTORY.COM
Registrar: XIAMEN ENAME NETWORK TECHNOLOGY CORPORATION LIMITED DBA ENAME CORP

Domain Name: DAJAZ1.COM
Registrar: FASTDOMAIN, INC.

Domain Name: DISCOUNTSCARVESONSALE.COM

Domain Name: DVDCOLLECTIONSALE.COM
Whois Server: whois. paycenter .com.cn

Domain Name: DVDCOLLECTS.COM

Domain Name: DVDORDERONLINE.COM

So, though I haven't checked all the others on that list, it seems to me that the vast majority are likely to be Chinese companies. I guess that's not surprising, seeing as so much of this counterfeit stuff is made in that country.

The majority of people who might be affected by these website shutdowns are not Americans. They're Chinese, working for the Chinese-based and registered companies that are trading in the US (and other places) and bringing money into China through selling their often low-quality fake-trade-name goods.

But the question is -- why take this action right now? I mean, is there anything going on right now concerning China? Like Korea -- and a certain very large US warship steaming towards China's "economic territory"?

Might this be a ploy by the US government to send the Chinese goverment a not-too-subtle message of some kind?

I'm just offering another perspective, but it seems to me that it could have some validity.

Mike

edit on 27/11/10 by JustMike because: To disable some urls in the text that need not be active.

edit on 27/11/10 by JustMike because: And fix typos...

posted on Nov, 27 2010 @ 06:17 PM
link   
reply to post by JustMike

Thank you JustMike. I find your research highly enlightening and I do hope you continue with the research on these companies. However, I still think there is an inherent danger here on the homeland.

posted on Nov, 27 2010 @ 07:46 PM
link   
reply to post by JustMike

Mike,
I ran most of the sites and found the same thing that you did. I just didnt feel like tyoing it all out or copy and pasting it either. Thank you for going through the effort. This thread was about who far the Feds have gone and how dare they, but I think with a little bit of research you have shown that is not the case.

Taking down the website is nothing more than telling the rolex guy at the airport to move on somewhere else. And believe me, these conterfeiters certainly will. I bet most of them have already relaunched on a new domain. Which they can easily do for $9.99 when they are stealing credit card info left and right.

posted on Nov, 27 2010 @ 11:51 PM
link   
i can't see why anyone is suprised. we can all sit around playing the blame game.. blame "bush" "cheney" "obama" "TPTB" or whatever else people choose to shift the blame to, but in reality, if people would wake up just a little, they would realize is our fault. i grow tired of the "oh its their fault" when WE are the ones who put them into power, let them keep their power, then complain and cry like children when they screw us over. its not going to change, nothing will change, it will only get worse because it seems people in this country have had it done for them for so long we have lost all will to fight our own battles. so when our children grow up in a slave/police state... we will sit back in our rockers saying how things used to be different and the people in power messed it all up, when we... the people who give them said power did nothing but sit around and b***** and moan instead of standing up and putting a stop to the bs. sheeple make me sick. even the "informed" ones.

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join