It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

MADCHESTER & FACTORY RECORDS

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 1 2010 @ 01:47 PM
link   
reply to post by Freeborn

Power Corruption & Lies is one of my top 10 albums of all time.....great stuff

Hahahappy mondays...... I know what you mean, I saw the Mondays at Elland Rd and Ryder was the same there..... but he did manage to last the whole gig and as the night went on he actually got a bit better. WFL at the end was awesome....does anyone else remember that gig?

Later saw Black Grape at Newcastle mayfair and they were great....It seemed like Ryder had eventually got it together only to subsequently go downhill allover again.....

PEACE,
RK

posted on Dec, 1 2010 @ 02:17 PM
link   
It is difficult to put Joy Division music into words.... I always thought this track was a magnificent example of order out of chaos.... To me It sounds quite disjointed at the start yet on the other hand so utterly all together. It just seems to become more intense and build and builds into a crescendo which eventually finds perfect harmony.
When you break it down into component instruments, each one is very impressive. I particularly like the drums and bass on this.

Hope you guys enjoy.....

PEACE,
RK
edit on 1-12-2010 by Rigel Kent because: forgot to add "hope you guys enjoy"

posted on Dec, 1 2010 @ 04:08 PM
link   
One of my all time favourites from Ashcroft et al,
Not Factory records, but definately Manchester:

PEACE,
RK

posted on Dec, 3 2010 @ 04:54 AM
link   
reply to post by Rigel Kent

The members of Joy Division were / are all amazingly talented indivduals.

Stephen Morris is a fantastic drummer whose ablity sometimes get's overshadowed and overlooked by the individual brilliance of Curtis, Sumner and Hook.

Even now after over 25 years of listening I still hear and feel some new nuance when listening to them.

That the other three went on to achieve what they did after the death of such a talented and consuming person like Curtis is remarkable.

Though they still released some great music afterwards, in my opinion, Power, Corruption And Lies was the pinnacle of New Order's musical recordings.

The Stone Roses were another all time favourite band that comprised of four amazingly taletented individuals.
They literally could have ruled the world.
Instead we are left with one truly great album and one very good album with a frew outstanding moments on it.

And of course there was this, true genius. the source of so many good times.

Both 'Power, Corruption And Lies' and 'The Stone Roses' would be in my top 10 albums of all time.
What a good idea for a thread,

posted on Dec, 10 2010 @ 07:25 PM
link   

Hiya Freeborn,
love the 4 songs you posted especially "your silent face"

just for you....... here is the Finsbury Park version

I think you will agree, it has stood the test of time

PEACE,
RK

posted on Dec, 10 2010 @ 09:04 PM
link   
No discussion of this genre would be complete with out one of the the least celebrated but most enduring bands of the era, James:

...and soooooo many more.

posted on Dec, 10 2010 @ 09:22 PM
link   

Pure quality!

Such a shame that after all these years and all the music and thing's they've been through together it looks like Hooky and Bernie have really fallen out with each other and they'll never record or perform together again.

Of course no discussion about New Order would be complete without mentioning one of the most important pieces of music ever;

posted on Dec, 10 2010 @ 09:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by kosmicjack
No discussion of this genre would be complete with out one of the the least celebrated but most enduring bands of the era, James:

Man.... I cannot believe that I forgot to include James.... they were a bit of a "movement" in their time and I have some of their stuff...I think that was around the time that you didn't get punched for wearing a hat... and later the Roses of course... thanks for posting.

I am a bit tied up on yutube trying to decide who is the best between Jean Michelle Jarre and Tim Blake so I can post a reply on the electronic music thread... although I am not entirely sure that the OP had that "electronic era" in mind... happy days,

Thanks for James... will listen later

PEACE
RK

posted on Dec, 10 2010 @ 09:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by Freeborn

Pure quality!

Such a shame that after all these years and all the music and thing's they've been through together it looks like Hooky and Bernie have really fallen out with each other and they'll never record or perform together again.

Of course no discussion about New Order would be complete without mentioning one of the most important pieces of music ever;

Indeed Freeborn,
I have always griped on at my mates how Joy Division and New Order were the pioneers of British Dance music.... much to their bemusement, i might add
I guess they have a point when I play the album "Still" haha but Im sure you know what I mean.
I haven't been in the UK for 8 yrs so am not aware of the bust up between hooky and bernie
that is sad news to me.

I think Blue Monday broke some sort of record for the single being in the top 50 for the longest times.... 36 weeks off the top of me head.... speaks volumes.... you cannot argue with FORM. Just check out how many musicians have released tracks back to back with Blue Monday.......Kylie, Rhianna etc etc

Still wearing the Stone Island?

PEACE,
RK

PEACE,
RK

posted on Dec, 11 2010 @ 04:50 AM
link   
reply to post by kosmicjack

You forgot my James faves;

And best of all in my book, a truly beautiful song;

posted on Dec, 11 2010 @ 05:09 AM
link   

We went from kicking the crap out of each other to 'loving it up' in barely a year.

Without New Order and Factory Dance Music would never have happened.

Casual for life.

Happy days, who could forget this?
A bit different from Madchester but along with Trainspotting this film defined a moment in time.

posted on Dec, 11 2010 @ 08:39 AM
link   
Thanks to KosmicJack for reminding us of James....
Some fantastic tunes there, thanks for reminding me what a great band they were.

James music makes you realize just how beautiful we all are and we should never lose sight of that.

Football, the music and fashion and everything else that went with it was a way of life and the awayday's were always a special deal for me. The sight of a well dressed firm is quite something and it is probably the only time where everyone looks out for each other and feels truly equal.

My favourites above are: Sometimes, Seven and Say something.....I will be getting these classics out at Christmas when I get back home.

Human traffic was spot on and nailed it for what it was.

cheers,

PEACE,.
RK
edit on 11-12-2010 by Rigel Kent because: spelling

posted on May, 11 2011 @ 01:27 PM
link   
Thought I'd give this great thread a bump with some quality Inspiral Carpets.

And pre Tom Hingley but brilliant none the less.

posted on May, 13 2011 @ 10:00 PM
link   
Madchester was something truly special, if only it had've carried on. A fave Stone Roses tune. Any guitar players should have a good listen to this one. The guitar is over several tracks, but still inspiring. Managed to see John Squire with Seahorses at one point in Doncaster, and glad I did, one of the best players this country has ever had :

And an all time fave :

edit on 13-5-2011 by robhines because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 13 2011 @ 10:25 PM
link   
Class tune, thanks for making the thread, might have never found this tune again otherwise :

RIP to Tony Wilson too, well done and respect.

posted on May, 19 2011 @ 01:47 PM
link   

A Big thanks for posting those gems by the Carpets,

Just listened to 'em and "Butterfly" sounds like it could be straight off the Ratus Norvegicus album by the Stranglers.... I never considered that IC's were ever influenced by the Stranglers but maybe... just maybe

PEACE,
RK

posted on May, 19 2011 @ 02:14 PM
link   
reply to post by robhines

Cheers Rob,
2 quality Roses tracks there, you're so right about Squires on that guitar.
Remember the build up to the release of "second coming?"
I remember where I was when I first heard it all them years ago,
bet you do too.

Here is a guitar fest just for ya

For me, their best album.....
hope you like.

PEACE,
RK

posted on May, 19 2011 @ 02:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by robhines
Class tune, thanks for making the thread, might have never found this tune again otherwise :

RIP to Tony Wilson too, well done and respect.

Rob,
Loved that,
Never seen that video before,
Never forget when Ryder came on stage at Ellend Road off his nut, reading the lyrics from what looked like a Roman scroll (think it was probably a roll of anyglypta from B & Q).
Wrote for Luck was awesome, followed by an evening in Leeds warehouse, followed by 4 blokes kipping in the car and an early drive back up North

PEACE,
RK
edit on 19-5-2011 by Rigel Kent because: To sort me 'ead out...... f@ck me, I thought I was done with the Mondays.........

posted on May, 19 2011 @ 04:17 PM
link   

Never made the connection before but now that you mention it I'm sure Clint Boon of The Carpets learnt a bit listening to Dave Greenfield.

I've seen The Stranglers quite a few times, the first time was back in 81 when I was in the 4th Year at school and me and a mate got the train to Newcastle and watched them at The City Hall, they were excellent and we were the dogs bollocks next day at school telling everyone stories of us getting served in the pubs before and after.

The Stranglers are still touring now, which is amazing when you consider that their drummer, Jet Black, is approaching 73 years old!

For those who for some inexplicable reason aren't familiar with The Stranglers from the Rattus era here's a sample.

As for The Mondays I remember seeing them at Whitley Bay Ice Rink in 1990 and Shaun Ryder was, quite surprisingly, out of his brains, how a full scale riot never occurred that night I'll never know.
edit on 19/5/11 by Freeborn because: grammar etc

posted on May, 19 2011 @ 04:40 PM
link   

I remember moving into my new rented apartment (1984) which made my older sister cry.... she bought me a quilt for my bed the very same day and the next morning me and my flatmate wrapped a large one up and turned on the telly on (Saturday morning) Low and behold.... Stranglers at Finsbury (same as new order in later years... lol) it was class....
Saw Stranglers many times all over UK and had a chat and a pint with Cornwell in Stockyon when he was Solo....musta been around 94.... his bassist was an Aussie girl.... cant remember her name... tried to get into her but she was havvin non of it

PEACE,
KM

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join