It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

MADCHESTER & FACTORY RECORDS

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 26 2010 @ 05:26 PM
link   
Tony Wilson (RIP) was the founder of a record label called Factory Records and discovered and managed great musical talent from the North of England as well as running an infamous night club in Manchester named the Hacienda. This was a MOVEMENT an will go down in UK musical history. I was lucky enough to have gone there in the mid 80's when it was all in full swing.

This thread is dedicated to MADCHESTER music, whatever you like please embed your stuff for all to watch and enjoy. I will start it off with one of my favourite Manchester bands of all time........ RIP Ian Curtis

circa 1979 approx

PEACE,
RK

posted on Nov, 26 2010 @ 05:29 PM
link   

posted on Nov, 26 2010 @ 05:54 PM
link   
Happy Mondays was another Manchester band who made some absolutely cutting edge dance music at the time....starting around about the time that the UK started to get a taste of the cream that was Chicago House music. This is a track off their first album "Pills, Spills and Bellyaches"...... I think you can see where this is going...

with opening lyrics such as: "Son I'm 30, I only went with your mother cos she's dirty and I don't have a decent bone in me" they had to be a winner
This was also the start of what we, in the UK call the BAGGY movement.

enjoy...

PEACE,
RK

posted on Nov, 26 2010 @ 05:54 PM
link   
legendary man, legendary label, bands, scene, venues and one thing Ive been lucky enough to get to is the city-wide conference/festival In The City.

I moved to Manchester at 17 for a DJ course and thats when I was introduced to the history and have been hooked since watching and reading everything I can find about it lol.

Love the film Control which is like a biopic of Ian Curtis' life if anyones seen that?

Anyway, yeah, great to see this as a topic on ATS!

posted on Nov, 26 2010 @ 05:58 PM
link   
reply to post by woodwardjnr

Oh Yes.......

not on the label but a milestone in 80's music. Thanks for that.... I'm gonna listen to that now whilst I find some more Manchester gems.

PEACE,
RK

posted on Nov, 26 2010 @ 06:02 PM
link   
reply to post by niblo

Haha yes..... I have 3 copies of "control" just in case one or even two "go missing" you know how it is at those after parties..... LOL.... feel free to embed some manchester or northern bands from the 80's

PEACE,
RK

posted on Nov, 26 2010 @ 06:40 PM
link   
Here is another track by Joy Division.... CEREMONY......These early tracks are now adopted and played by New Order (which are basically the same band members minus Ian Curtis). Anyone who is familiar with JD & NO will probably agree that the "rough edge" of JD has contributed fantastically to the success of NO

I chose this one cos it is a nice video... awwww....

it is one of my favourite tracks from JD and I hope you guys like it....... this is where Hookeys Bass starts to rock..

PEACE,
RK

posted on Nov, 26 2010 @ 09:49 PM
link   
Not on factory label but definately Madchester,,,, think they were from hull..... close enough

PEACE
RK

posted on Nov, 26 2010 @ 10:04 PM
link   
She's lost control.............

here is Joy Division performing this

Ians vocals are so pure.... he was a natural who really sang from his heart
now here is new order performing the same song...for me Bernie struggles
and then all threoough my life I have bween told..... "he cannot sing"
how do you begin to tell someone..... he was never meant to sing you c0nt...
work it out ... he is a stand in... deserves a bit of slak

PEACE
RK

make your own mind up....

for me the first one rocks..... ha ha ha

PEACE,
RK

edit on 26-11-2010 by Rigel Kent because: (no reason given)

edit on 26-11-2010 by Rigel Kent because: EDIT COS IM HUMAN

posted on Nov, 26 2010 @ 10:38 PM
link   
ENJOY.............................................................

RICHARD

ASHCROFT

PEACE,
RK

posted on Nov, 26 2010 @ 11:12 PM
link   
FLAGS WOULD BE NICE

posted on Nov, 27 2010 @ 07:40 AM
link   
A great song by a bunch of kids known as the Stone Roses from Manchester......
This really was a great time for music coming out of the North of England

PEACE,
RK

posted on Nov, 27 2010 @ 07:59 AM
link   
And if you ever feel down....
remember that there is always someone, somewhere who is a lot worse off than you.
This song by the Manchester "Genius" Morrissey sums that up for me....

PEACE,
RK

posted on Nov, 27 2010 @ 08:16 AM
link   
reply to post by Rigel Kent

You get a flag for posting Mozza!

I was thinking of starting a thread like this last night..

edit on 27-11-2010 by davespanners because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 28 2010 @ 08:56 AM
link   
Great times.
Got to go to The Hacienda once, fantastic.

My brother bought New Order's Power, Corruption And Lies in 83 and I was immediately hooked.

Even though I had been aware of Joy Division it was only then that I really got into them and they remain a favourite to this day.

Got to see all the Madchester bands and must say one of the worst concerts ever been to was The Happy Mondays at Whitley Bay Ice Rink.
Shaun Ryder was completely out of his brains, rolling around on the floor miming poorly.
Didn't go dow well.
The Mondays and The Charlatans were/are great bands but THE seminal of the era were the brilliant and hugely influential Stone Roses.

Another personal favourite, The Inspiral Carpets.

Great times.
Great bands.

posted on Nov, 30 2010 @ 02:44 AM
link   
Don't kill me mark.... lol

posted on Dec, 1 2010 @ 08:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by Freeborn

The Mondays and The Charlatans were/are great bands but THE seminal of the era were the brilliant and hugely influential Stone Roses.

Oh yeah! Stone Roses were probably the best band ever to walk this earth. So many tunes to pick from, but this is the one for me...

posted on Dec, 1 2010 @ 11:54 AM
link   
Has anyone been to the new Factory?? I have....its nice, but its kind of small. Its the converted Factory Offices, I'm told, as I don't think they have the original building anymore. *le sigh* I miss Manchester. Going back there in January though!

My personal opinion is that the Stone Roses are overrated. Much like New Order.

Come on guys, what about The Wedding Present?

Worst lip synching ever though..and I'm not sure what the dancing people are for..but kudos to anyone who can point out what this song was really about..

posted on Dec, 1 2010 @ 01:30 PM
link   
S&F
Thank you for the trip down memory lane.
I used to love the Happy mondays, Shaun ryder was my hero.

posted on Dec, 1 2010 @ 01:32 PM
link   
reply to post by Paul

I bet Tony wilson was gutted he passed the chance to sign them.

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join