It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is climate change real?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 25 2010 @ 03:03 AM
link   
This year will be equal to the hottest year on record across the world, Figures from the national climatic data center in the u.s shows that 2010 is likely to be a dead heat with 1850..
The figures are released as the united nations climate talks resume in cancun Mexico, next week..
My point of this thread is, I've heard so many conflicting views on climate change.. Some say it's not real, made up for various reasons and some claim the issue is very real and a huge danger to our planet..
I don't know enough about the subject to have a valid opinion as I said there are so many conflicting reports of the validity of these claims..
I just wondered what the opinions of people on here are in the subject..
And if it is indeed false, then why is this so a big issue? Why do they want us to believe it is real?

posted on Nov, 25 2010 @ 03:05 AM
link   
If you look around, you will find plenty of threads on this subject.

There really isn't any point of going into debate on this issue because it just degenerates into the same us-vs-them, name-calling crap.

My stance: Climate change IS real and you can keep trying to dance around it all you want. It's not going to change the fact that it's happening.

posted on Nov, 25 2010 @ 03:09 AM
link   
Climate changing is undeniable. There have been ice ages and warm periods, that much we know. I doubt man is the cause of it, but we sure aren't doing ourselves any favors with deforestation, polluting our water, burying radioactive crap all over the place etc.

posted on Nov, 25 2010 @ 03:13 AM
link   
reply to post by TKDRL

Why do you doubt it? Are you just going along with the typical skeptic spiel?

We do have a part in it. We may not be the root cause but there's no point in trying to get humans off the hook for this disaster.

posted on Nov, 25 2010 @ 03:14 AM
link   
reply to post by Misterlondon

There is no debate about climate change, only if it is Man Made!!

I'd say the fact that this year is a dead heat with 1850, when there was little problems from cars, buses,trucks and planes pretty much answers that question...

Climate change is real and has been going on since the beginning of this planet..

posted on Nov, 25 2010 @ 03:19 AM
link   
reply to post by The Sword

I don't doubt it, I just hear so many conflicting reports on the subject I just wanted to hear some opinions..

posted on Nov, 25 2010 @ 03:21 AM
link   
Im my opinion, having looked at some of the evidence, I believe that "Climate Change" is real.

BUT, in saying that, I do NOT believe that the current cycle of warming is wholly due to Man. If you look at the data going back as far as records go, you will find that there is evidence of much warmer and much colder global temperatures than we have today. In fact, you will find that the temperature fluxuates fairly cyclically with very cold iceage periods and much warmer intergacial periods.

If you look at the records going back as far as the last iceage, you will also find that the global temperature has risen fairly steadily(with a few minor dips) since then and I believe that the current "warming"(in quotes because it certainly hasn't been a warm year in Britain) is part of the natural interglacial warming, perhaps Man has contributed a little to this, but in no way should every part of the current trend be blamed on Man and his love of carbon, let be honest, if it wasn't for carbon, NONE of us would be here today.

I could go on for hours on this subject and may create a thread in the future, laying out my opinions properly and providing the neccesary links and evidence.

posted on Nov, 25 2010 @ 03:24 AM
link   
I'm not seeing any concrete evidence to debunk climate change, especially as it pertains to man.

I think I'll stick to the data from climatologists that has been peer-reviewed and thoroughly researched.

At least I know my limits. I'm not a scientist, hence I could not actually debunk something without knowing more about it. Too bad that most climate deniers are amateurs.

posted on Nov, 25 2010 @ 03:28 AM
link   
Yes the climate changes

No, humans are not the cause

posted on Nov, 25 2010 @ 03:29 AM
link   
Mars is further from the sun, has no humans or BMW's, and its ice is melting and its changing temperature alike us. My guess is we are in a relatively closer rotation to the sun for whatever reason, or perhaps the sun is getting larger? who knows... either way... the sun melts the ice caps, the ice changes the weather systems via currents and water system... this is why it still feels hot in the path or light of the sun, but freezing in a shadow. like the radio-head song "idioteque": go listen to the lyrics...

Ice age comin...ice age coming... take the money and run.... woman and children first...who's in a bunker?
edit on 25-11-2010 by MavRck because: (no reason given)

edit on 25-11-2010 by MavRck because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 25 2010 @ 03:33 AM
link   

Because none of those reports seem to be complete IMO. If they were also keeping tabs on all the external stimuli that could be having an effect, like solar activity, it would be more valid.

posted on Nov, 25 2010 @ 04:19 AM
link   
The climate change is *annoyingly* real that we are planning to migrate to the cooler regions of the planet.

Never had this climate so hot since I was born. Some of you might think I'm sarcastic, I'm not. Some places on earth the temperature rise is small, even negative, some is huge. And I think we belong to that part where the temperature rise is high enough to cause much discomfort.

posted on Nov, 25 2010 @ 04:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by TKDRL

Because none of those reports seem to be complete IMO. If they were also keeping tabs on all the external stimuli that could be having an effect, like solar activity, it would be more valid.

Of course they are keeping tabs on solar activity.. accurate records for the last 400 years and we're at a solar minimum right now. The hottest year in recent history at a period of least solar activity in recent history - doesn't look good for us.

posted on Nov, 25 2010 @ 04:41 AM
link   
Climate change is real.

BUT its not all caused by man. only about 10% is man made.

The first clue is the other planets are warming also.

Another cause is the lack of major long term volcanic eruptions. VEI 6 or above.

Man will adapt to what ever happens.
the climate was a lot different Around 700,000 to 640,000 years ago,
since then the degree of global climate fluctuation has increased.
humanorigins.si.edu...
these fluctuations are what made us what we are now. With out these fluctuations we would not be as we are.
Homo sapiens is especially able to cope with a broad range of climatic conditions, hot and cold environments, arid and moist ones, and with all kinds of varying vegetation. We use resources from a vast variety of plants and animals and use many specialized tools. We have many social contacts and means of exchanging resources and information to help us survive in a constantly changing world.

The climate change Doom and Gloomers are trying to create a social endgame to scare the hell out of us. But the paleo historical record shows animal life has survived on earth with climate temperatures 12º higher then now.(about 55.8 million years ago) this was during the Eocene Climatic Optimum
en.wikipedia.org...
www.globalwarmingart.com...:65_Myr_Climate_Change_Rev_png
en.wikipedia.org...
en.wikipedia.org...

The doom and gloomers claim the earth will turn into a desert.
This is bull.
Increased temperatures will cause greatly increased evaporation from the oceans and increased rainfall.

The interesting thing is a plant may have cause the ice age we are in now.
Azolla event
en.wikipedia.org...

The best part is this plant is alive and well and would stop any new major global warming events that man could cause.
en.wikipedia.org...

edit on 25-11-2010 by ANNED because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 25 2010 @ 04:48 AM
link   
Well, here in Denmark we got -10C, and that is -20C colder than normal!!
We had a very hot summer, and now we got the coldest winter in many years. Its already snowing, and it should continue snowing atleast 5 days from now.

Thats sick! Normally it will first begin snowing in december here...

posted on Nov, 25 2010 @ 08:57 AM
link   
I posted this in another thread and thought I would place it here as well ...This work has demonstrated the presence of a small but statistically significant influence of GCRs on Earth’s atmosphere over mid-latitude regions. This effect is present in
both ISCCP satellite data and NCEP/NCAR reanalysis data for at least the last 20 years suggesting that small fluctuations in solar activity may be linked to changes in the Earth’s atmosphere via a relationship between the GCR flux and cloud cover; such a connection may amplify small changes in solar activity. In addition, a GCR – cloud relationship may also act in conjunction with other likely solar – terrestrial relationships concerning variations in solar UV (Haigh, 1996) and total solar irradiance (Meehl et al., 2009). The climatic forcings resulting from such solar – terrestrial links may have had a significant impact on climate prior to the onset of anthropogenic warming, accounting for the presence of solar cycle relationships detectable in palaeoclimatic records (e.g.,Bond et al., 2001; Neff et al., 2001; Mauas et al., 2008).

Further detailed investigation is required to better understand GCR – atmosphere relationships. Specifically, the use of both ground-based and satellite-based cloud/atmospheric monitoring over high-resolution timescales for extended periods of time is required. In addition, information regarding potentially important microphysical properties such as aerosols, cloud droplet size, and atmospheric electricity must also be considered. Through such monitoring efforts, in addition to both computational modelling (such as that of Zhou and Tinsley, 2010) and experimental efforts (such as that of Duplissy et al., 2010) we may hope to better understand the effects described here.
www.atmos-chem-phys.net... peace

posted on Nov, 25 2010 @ 09:01 AM
link   
Winter, Spring, Summer, and Fall.

Yes climate change is real, and man can do nothing to effect or change that.

posted on Nov, 25 2010 @ 09:08 AM
link   
Yes it is real but guess what. Is is happening on other planets as well.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

The sun is going though some changes. It does that from time to time. It is just that we human were not around the last time it happened. If there were any one around they sure did not write about it.

posted on Nov, 25 2010 @ 09:24 AM
link   
i love how people still deny global warming is caused by man-[this time till the end]--showes how un-educated people really are. Shows how a few lies told by the energy sellers are believed by the ignorant--
do any of you see the global dimming planes spraying their crap every day?? WHAT dummy sees these and doesnt put two and two togather?
i got a bridge to sell to any anti-global warming denier---rj

posted on Nov, 25 2010 @ 12:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by fixer1967
Yes it is real but guess what. Is is happening on other planets as well.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

The sun is going though some changes. It does that from time to time. It is just that we human were not around the last time it happened. If there were any one around they sure did not write about it.

Yes and guess what - that thread was debunked on page 3. But of course most people don't bother reading the details, only the headlines.

The Sun's past influence can be evaluated through proxy data, and in the meantime it has been closely monitored by satellites for the last 3 decades. It is showing a cooling trend:

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/0943566b2fef.gif[/atsimg]

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join