It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Depleted uranium .

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 30 2004 @ 11:34 PM
link   
Though I am not sure how ligitimate this video is, it sends a clear message and is quite disturbing. I have a strong stomach for subjects as such, but when these subjects are children, my eyes tend to look away in demise.

Pictures of abnormal births. Be Warned.

www.ericblumrich.com...

I hope someone can clear this up for me, wether its pure leftist propanda or not.

Deep

[edit on 30-6-2004 by ZeroDeep]

PS. yeah, the link would help !!!!!! sorry !

posted on Jun, 30 2004 @ 11:36 PM
link   
Sorry but theres no link. Could you just give the URL address please.

posted on Jun, 30 2004 @ 11:37 PM
link   
Can you link the article you talk about?

posted on Jun, 30 2004 @ 11:41 PM
link   
Sorry, posted in utter haste.

Its a video *

Deep

posted on Jun, 30 2004 @ 11:42 PM
link   
No link, please provide. Justyc put together a flash vid of war and he had some deformed children in there that he says was casued by DU shells. We kind of went back and forth on the subject for some time. Here is the thread:

www.abovetopsecret.com...

Edit: very disturbing video. It said that DU has a half-life of 4.5 billion years, but it is not the radioactivity that is dangerous. In fact, it is 40% less radioactive that naturally occuring Uranium, which is not that radioactive to begin with. However, it is extremely toxic, as Justyc pointed out to me in the above mentioned thread.

[edit on 6-30-2004 by nyarlathotep]

posted on Jun, 30 2004 @ 11:45 PM
link   
A few of the figures are difficult to believe. The figure for the rise in radiation in Bagdad is impossible. It would be a microwave oven in there if that were true. But some of those figures probably are true. When they say depleted WTF does that mean.

posted on Jun, 30 2004 @ 11:46 PM
link   
I dont know about this video it does not state where any of these facts came from.Those could have been pictures of babies from Chernobyl how are you supose to know? Depleted uranium is a iffy topic though some people claim it is the cause of the so called Gulf War syndrome. Im not really sure why we use it as compared to say tungsten a equally hard metal its cheaper then tungsten maybe?

posted on Jun, 30 2004 @ 11:49 PM
link   
This one seemed more informative on the dubject of Du, I just watched the other. I am not to sure of the facts either, which is way I posted the video in hopes that members could give a better perpsective.

Deep

posted on Jun, 30 2004 @ 11:52 PM
link   
Oh it was definitely more informative, the other one was pure propaganda. I will agree that some of those stats on that vid are false, as cyberdude pointed out. Radiation levels can't be that damn high. As I said before, DU is not very radioactive. Maaybe those reading were taken when Saddam was transporting the WMD's to Syria through Baghdad

posted on Jun, 30 2004 @ 11:54 PM
link   
Hold on I may have been wrong. Why wasn't this on CNN.

www.iacenter.org...
www.gulflink.osd.mil...
www.fas.org...
www.tv.cbc.ca...

Holy Crud the facts on that video are correct. Those images are probably correct. This overwhelms me.

posted on Jun, 30 2004 @ 11:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by cyberdude78
When they say depleted WTF does that mean.

Hope this answers your question about DU:

Depleted uranium is a waste obtained from producing fuel for nuclear
reactors and atomic bombs. The material used in civil and nuclear military
industry is uranium U-235, the isotope which can be fissioned. Since this
isotope is found in very low proportions in nature, the uranium ore has to
be enriched, i.e., its proportion of the U-235 isotope has to be
industrially increased. This pocess produces a large amount of radioactive
depleted uranium waste, thus named because it is mainly formed by the other
non-fissionable uranium isotope, U-238 and a minimum proportion of U-235

Taken from www.xs4all.nl...

posted on Jun, 30 2004 @ 11:58 PM
link   
Correct me if im wrong, but does the Geneva convention have some sort of restrictions of the weapons being used on war? If memory serves me right, bullets have to be humane in order to be used by military personal. These Du's, if stats are right, seem inhumane not only to the soldiers, but those affected by the aftershock.

Deep

posted on Jul, 1 2004 @ 12:01 AM
link   
You are correct about that, zero. In fact, the person who put that vid together quoted that part of the Geneva Convention that we are in possible violation of.

posted on Jul, 1 2004 @ 12:05 AM
link   
How can any bullet be humane?

posted on Jul, 1 2004 @ 12:07 AM
link   
Oh, I never watched the entire video. My stomach simply could not take it.

www.globalissuesgroup.com...
www.unhchr.ch...
news.findlaw.com...

Convention on Prohibitions or Restrictions on the Use of Certain Conventional Weapons Which May be Deemed to be Excessively Injurious or to Have Indiscriminate Effects. Geneva, 10 October 1980.

The High Contracting Parties,

' Recalling ' that every State has the duty, in conformity with the Charter of the United Nations, to refrain in its international relations from the threat or use of force against the sovereignty, territorial integrity or political independence of any State, or in any other manner inconsistent with the purposes of the United Nations.

' Further recalling ' the general principle of the protection of the civilian population against the effects of hostilities,

' Basing themselves ' on the principle of international law that the right of the parties to an armed conflict to choose methods or means of warfare is not unlimited, and on the principle that prohibits the employment in armed conflicts of weapons, projectiles and material and methods of warfare of a nature to cause superfluous injury or unnecessary suffering,

' Also recalling ' that it is prohibited to employ methods or means of warfare which are intended, or may be expected, to cause widespread, long-term and severe damage to the natural environment,

Seems as if the Geneva accord does confirm this, if I am reading it right.

Deep

posted on Jul, 1 2004 @ 12:17 AM
link   
I don't think we need to use DU. Plenty of other completly non-radioactive materials do exist. But I will say this video only shows the worst of DU. Some its propagandaist to some extent but it woke me up to the truth about DU. Still most nuclear bombs are made using plutonium I believe. And thats some kind of purified by product of processed uranium if i'm not mistaken.

posted on Jul, 1 2004 @ 12:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by cyberdude78
Hold on I may have been wrong. Why wasn't this on CNN.

www.iacenter.org...
www.gulflink.osd.mil...
www.fas.org...
www.tv.cbc.ca...

Holy Crud the facts on that video are correct. Those images are probably correct. This overwhelms me.

Put simply - this is a bunch of apocalyptic crap ....

Uranium 238 is only slightly radiactive - In fact if one was completely covered in it it would sheild FAR MORE atmospheric radiation than it would expose you to.

For example - thousands of tons of U-238 (that was too radioactive for the US to consider for weapons) was used to sheild a particle accelerator under Hamburg...

No reputable study conducted has ever shown ANY negative side effects of exposure to Uranium 238. Not a single one.

posted on Jul, 1 2004 @ 12:28 AM
link   
So the bombing Nagasaki or Hiroshima (which ever was first) produced no side effects. Uranium 238 was the material used for the first bomb dropped on Japan. This one was nick named fat boy for its enormous size. The second bomb dropped used plutononium. Trust me these produced the first one did produce side effects. But I will agree bagdads radiation couldn't have got that high from DU.

posted on Jul, 1 2004 @ 01:00 AM
link   
They only use DU if they are going to face a large amount of tanks and armored vehicle because DU goes through armor like a hot knife through butter but I don't think it is that radioactive .

posted on Jul, 1 2004 @ 01:33 AM
link   
Wrong West Point!

DU is used by all tanks in Iraq right now.

DU started to be in the first war in Iraq because it was very effective against the T-55, T-64, T-72 that were used in Iraq at that time.

Out,
Russian

top topics

<<   2 >>

join