It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Name Something You Can Do Without Government Permission?

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 22 2010 @ 12:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by sdcigarpig
I can openly criticise the federal government without fear or reprisal or being fined.

Not if they find out...they'll wire tap your phone and/or domain until they find something you are doing illegal and charge you with that.
All in the name of 'national securty'. They have to make sure youre not a domestic terrorist.

Although it technically may be 'free', depending on the lengths of criticizing, there could be some recourse.

posted on Nov, 22 2010 @ 12:08 AM
link   
I suspect anything that doesn't effect the government, can be done without any permission.

That is the core issue here.

Who agrees?

posted on Nov, 22 2010 @ 12:08 AM
link   
I am guessing the point of this is that in the United States, this idea that we are so completely free is little more than a myth. I will bite. There is almost nothing you can do in the US that you cannot also do in China without government permission. Now, I am not sure if that premise is enough to go too far on but I have a better one.

If we accept your idea that the US is no more free than Communist China, the fact that you live there by choice and elect the people that make the laws is a far more interesting premise to explore in my book.

Was I close?

posted on Nov, 22 2010 @ 12:11 AM
link   
reply to post by drkid

Alternative Energy

Well yes and no I can't make fuel Ethanol without government permission but so far I can build a hydrogen booster and run it on my car without it

Shamanic Practices

Again yes and no
Some Shaman was just arrested for having an illegal substance used for Shaminic rituals. But yeah you can pretty much believe and practice what you want in your mind.

Owning Land & Property

A huge NO! if you think you own any land or property stop paying so called property taxes and see who comes to evict you off the land you are renting from them.

Taxable Health Care (MEANING EVERYONE GETS FIXED NO QUESTIONS ASKED)

Ah no this so highly regulated by government I am surprised you even bring it up

NO MORE DRUG WAR!

No we can't end he drug war without government permission which will never happen because it is to profitable for them and provides to many excuses for taking away our rights.

edit on 22-11-2010 by hawkiye because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 22 2010 @ 12:11 AM
link   
I can help a friend do some plastering in his home, in exchange for meals paid, some help later in the spring with some yard work.

I need no permission to open a contract between two human beings.

posted on Nov, 22 2010 @ 12:13 AM
link   

Originally posted by Cassandra5Finish
I am guessing the point of this is that in the United States, this idea that we are so completely free is little more than a myth. I will bite. There is almost nothing you can do in the US that you cannot also do in China without government permission. Now, I am not sure if that premise is enough to go too far on but I have a better one.

If we accept your idea that the US is no more free than Communist China, the fact that you live there by choice and elect the people that make the laws is a far more interesting premise to explore in my book.

Was I close?

I think that is what the OP is getting at.
However, Im not sold that elections arent rigged, and they definitely dont pass most laws with the voters in mind. Its all about money. Where they can get the most.

posted on Nov, 22 2010 @ 12:14 AM
link   

Originally posted by hawkiye
reply to post by drkid

Alternative Energy

Well yes and no I can't make fuel Ethanol without government permission but so far I can build a hydrogen booster and run it on my car without it

Shamanic Practices

Again yes and no
Some Shaman was just arrested for having an illegal substance used for Shaminic rituals. But yeah you can pretty much believe and practice what you want in your mind.

Owning Land & Property

A huge NO! if you think you own any land or property stop paying so called property taxes and see who comes to evict you off the land you are renting from them.

Taxable Health Care (MEANING EVERYONE GETS FIXED NO QUESTIONS ASKED)

Ah no this so highly regulated by government I am surprised you even bring it up

NO MORE DRUG WAR!

No we can't end he drug war without government permission which will never happen because it is to profitable for them and provides to many excuses for taking away our rights.

edit on 22-11-2010 by hawkiye because: (no reason given)

I miss understood your original question! I thought you asked what should the Government keep their nose out of. Thanks for clarifying! You ROCK!

posted on Nov, 22 2010 @ 12:15 AM
link   
reply to post by Le Colonel

I need no permission to open a contract between two human beings.

Depends, if you contract to do construction work you need a contractors license in most jurisdictions.

posted on Nov, 22 2010 @ 12:17 AM
link   
reply to post by DIDtm

GUITAR

MUTHA$#@$#@$@

SOOO LOW!!!

posted on Nov, 22 2010 @ 12:18 AM
link   

Originally posted by Cassandra5Finish

Was I close?

On the money! I agree why don't start a thread on that premise and see where it goes?

posted on Nov, 22 2010 @ 12:19 AM
link   
reply to post by DIDtm

Nope, been doing it for years and the government has yet to tap, listen or try to interfer with my voice to critize them. You see it is not how things are stated, but rather what is stated. I email my represenatitive or the president and call either an idiot or even stupid, to include insulting language. That is acceptable even tolerated. Now if I emailed and made a threat, then the security would have to get involved. Big difference in the means.

posted on Nov, 22 2010 @ 12:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by LadySkadi
I can enjoy the laughter of a child, I can kiss the man of my dreams and feel the butterflies in my stomach, I can feel the warmth of a hug from my grandmother and I can laugh until I cry...

I know this thread was intended to prove a point and will probably go negative very quickly as was the hope (probably) but I thought I'd make a point of my own...

Cheers

Yes, but does that make the restrictions on our liberties OK or negligible? Should we "count our blessings" and move along and cut our losses? I will not feel free until I can do anything and everything so long as I am not harming someone without legal repercussions...that is free.

posted on Nov, 22 2010 @ 12:21 AM
link   
Name just one thing? ok....

I can pass gas then laugh about how funny it sounded before I gag myself.

What they gonna do, put a cork in it? That would be a mistake.

posted on Nov, 22 2010 @ 12:21 AM
link   
flog my mule
enjoy my stool
breath the air
and grow my hair.

posted on Nov, 22 2010 @ 12:23 AM
link   
reply to post by SmokeandShadow

I will not feel free until I can do anything and everything so long as I am not harming someone without legal repercussions...that is free.

The only way you are going to do that is to live out of society. See, the thing is that no matter what form of "govt" it is, there will always be some form of compromise or pymt to absolute freedom. Price you pay for living in a society, any society.
edit on 22-11-2010 by LadySkadi because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 22 2010 @ 12:38 AM
link   

Name Something You Can Do Without Government Permission?

Well though this may be temporary, taking advantage of the current knowledge of being able to subtract yourself from your strawman and become a sovereign citizen. These are things that are currently available for those who choose to search it.

We dont need permission, we just willingly allow ourselves to ask for it.

Peace, NRE.

posted on Nov, 22 2010 @ 01:41 AM
link   

reply to post by Wyn Hawks

Marriage license?

...thats your choice... no one forces you to get a license...

...the rest of your comments didnt apply to me and i think i'm very ordinary... btw, is it too late to add it to my official list of things i dont need permission to do?... no?... cool... i wanna add SEX between consenting adults... surely you cant come up with a governmental reg on that...

posted on Nov, 22 2010 @ 01:45 AM
link   

Originally posted by DIDtm
I think that is what the OP is getting at.
However, Im not sold that elections arent rigged, and they definitely dont pass most laws with the voters in mind. Its all about money. Where they can get the most.

You will get no argument from me that our politicians are corrupt and that the system is setup in their best interest, not that of the people. However, in the US we are still free to do certain things that arguably do make a difference. There is a point when voices overwhelm actions and it becomes clear that something is amiss. This alone may not bring resolution but bringing light is still something that not everyone has the freedom from. Take for example exit polls. If there was overwhelming counts for one side of a vote on exit polls that was entirely antithetical to the official outcome, then things will happen. What, I am not sure.

The point is this. I find it highly ironic that anyone from the USA would claim that they are only as free as the citizens of what we percieve as Communist China, all while retaining the power to vote, lobby, petition, boycott, or even leave altogether. So anyone feeling so overwhelmingly opressed in the USA where they choose to stay and vote of their own free will seems to be missing something to me.
edit on 22-11-2010 by Cassandra5Finish because: forgot my /

posted on Nov, 22 2010 @ 01:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by Wyn Hawks

reply to post by Wyn Hawks

Marriage license?

...thats your choice... no one forces you to get a license...

...the rest of your comments didnt apply to me and i think i'm very ordinary... btw, is it too late to add it to my official list of things i dont need permission to do?... no?... cool... i wanna add SEX between consenting adults... surely you cant come up with a governmental reg on that...

I think that "sex" between 2 consenting adults can be dissected, and if not "official" can need government permission. The fact that "sex" between the same sex is considered illegal. Also, you can have consensual sex if the age, time, and place is considered "legal" can play part. If you have "consensual" sex with someone and the rules of that state dont matter, then your action can, even with both consenting can lead to legal action.

Also the story can be changed by either party, and need some type of government or policing policy. There are some really wacky laws concerning sex, that yes may be outdated, but pushed by a crazy prosecutor can land someone in the "big" house.

Peace, NRE.

posted on Nov, 22 2010 @ 03:03 AM
link   
reply to post by LadySkadi

Nice answer...

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join