It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Most Terrifying Video You'll Ever See (for all you skeptics overloards out their )

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 22 2010 @ 01:07 AM
link   

Originally posted by OutKast Searcher
There is one problem I see with that video.

Replace "Global Climate Change" with ANYTHING...and you get the same resutls.

Replace it with Defense of asteroid hitting us

Replace it with flu epidemic

Replace it with Alien Invasion

Replace it with anything that inaction will result in really really bad stuff...and that logic square will tell you it is "better" to take action. We can't take action on every single potentially bad situation...that is why we need to discuss if we think the scenario being talked about is "true" or "false".

Sure the logic works, it's bloody LOGIC for gods sake.

Now apply a little bit of strenuous common sense to the topic and it's consideration of global warming.

Man, people are really trying to be thick or they're just seriously blaze.

"Hey global warming is real guys, look at the facts!"
"Yeah and your shoe faeries are stealing my corn flakes, so what!!"

Jesus... lol... I pray for that asteroid...

posted on Nov, 22 2010 @ 01:10 AM
link   

Originally posted by 46ACE
one of the replies nailed it! THE ANALYSIS IS FLAWED! as I type hunt and peck I am '
I'm going to plagiarize from this reply :

"Error in the calculations. Top left corner -- global depression making 30's look like a party. Bottom left corner -- same global depression but now there's a happy face?

You cant know if its real or not, so if you spend the money to fix it, you get the same global depression. You dont know if you fixed anything but you crashed the global economy. WHY would you smile about that?

Your analysis is flawed dude."

Except the bottom right corner included a whole plethora of possible outcomes, not just eco... wait, did ANYONE actually watch the damn video, or just glance at it, make their minds up before it was done and hit reply?

posted on Nov, 22 2010 @ 02:02 AM
link   
reply to post by badw0lf

badw0lf ... this guy's logic IS sound, for the "it's better to do something than nothing" argument.

Apply it it to anything else, and it's highly convincing, but flawed.

posted on Nov, 22 2010 @ 02:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by badw0lf

Originally posted by 46ACE
one of the replies nailed it! THE ANALYSIS IS FLAWED! as I type hunt and peck I am '
I'm going to plagiarize from this reply :

"Error in the calculations. Top left corner -- global depression making 30's look like a party. Bottom left corner -- same global depression but now there's a happy face?

You cant know if its real or not, so if you spend the money to fix it, you get the same global depression. You dont know if you fixed anything but you crashed the global economy. WHY would you smile about that?

Your analysis is flawed dude."

Except the bottom right corner included a whole plethora of possible outcomes, not just eco... wait, did ANYONE actually watch the damn video, or just glance at it, make their minds up before it was done and hit reply?

Okay, how about we substitute in the top left corner: the loss of virtually all rights because of the implementation of carbon taxes, the United States can control almost every aspect of your life because of the proposed plans, and Wall Street gets to make up all sorts of new commodities to be traded so they can make an unreal profit, while the majority of the country continues on into a miserable and poor future, devoid of any hope to break free?

I'm absolutely not against checking the pollution prevalent in the world. It's apparent, and far too plentiful. What I do have a serious problem with is the proposed solutions to the problems which once again takes rights away from people, gives them to the government, and consolidates wealth at the top. I'm sick of the solution to everything being more government involvement, along with myself and my family having to give up more of our rights to save us from the next "boogeyman" that is going to kill us.

Too many people died to give us those rights, if your an American, for us to give them up without a fight. Give me a better solution to the problem, because individual Americans are not the largest problem, MNCs are. They can use money to pollute though, under the proposed solution, so it's okay for them since they have an enormous quantity already, it won't hinder their profits. I want a better solution to a problem, other than government intrusion and the increase of Wall St. and corporate profits through my loss. That is a perfectly reasonable request.

posted on Nov, 22 2010 @ 03:15 AM
link   
Everyone is assuming that technology can never be a solution....

Why are all you tree huggers whining when cold fusion and biotech is JUST emerging. You only have to educate... kill... or imprison the ignorant to prevent them from using it improperly.

posted on Nov, 22 2010 @ 05:31 AM
link   
Let's keep this thread on top and people viewing this video! I want solutions and I want smart, courageous people to start working on them now!

I want our Senators and Representatives to view this! Please send this to them, people!

I want all Nations to view this and see what the consequences could be if they don't act!

Please, let's work to stop Global Warming and prevent the devastating scenario that could result should we ignore the problem!

posted on Nov, 22 2010 @ 08:44 AM
link   
We're back to the start again. People are either locking in box 4 (instead of looking at the situation and considering ALL potentials) or screaming about how bad they wont like situation X because they like being happy NOW.

It's pointless, the entire thing was to show people to stop arguing over the little things and to realise that regardless, something needs to be done.

Yet it's the stupid bloody things still being thrown around as "But But But".

Screw it, if the earth was a wooden ship and was sinking, so many people would be screaming "But my feet aren't wet, so shut up and stop trying to inconvenience me as I use my axe for fun to poke holes in this nice wood."

This is why these topics are always doomed. Logic be damned, it's all about me me me.

posted on Nov, 22 2010 @ 09:11 AM
link   
The problem is that any attempts by politicians/ governments to tackle climate change are always geared to lining their own pockets and the bankers. Would you seriously trust the governments/politicians that we have to spend our money wisely to combat climate change? I mean come on, look at the bailouts. The person in this video has either missed or avoided this other layer to the equation. Our political institutions are so corrupt that any attempt to solve climate change would only end up making these parasites richer.

posted on Nov, 22 2010 @ 11:45 AM
link   
What he's got wrong is if you do act against climate change, and it turns out to be true, nothing bad will happen. Everything created from that result will just better the earth and it's technologies. Unless you factor in MAJOR political corruption, then the whole column of "yes" is a catastrophe.

Example: I have this battery. It has the potential to explode. I know of another battery that has a longer life, and no potential for combustion.

If I act, and change the battery out, the result is that I now have a safer and better battery whether the old battery would explode or not. If I do not act, there is a 50/50 chance my fingers will be blown off.

Acting against a possible threat is never a bad idea, if the possible threat is great enough like global warming.

He's waaaayyy over simplifying it.

posted on Nov, 22 2010 @ 11:56 AM
link   
Couldn't get past 7:30. This guy just reeks of high-school teacher/turd who's used to boiling down complex issues into trite diagrams so his students can average out at a B- and everyone's happy. Oh, with some bias thrown in as well.

No alarm here folks. The guy claims to have solved the AGW question with a two player prisoner's dilemma game. The reason why none of his friends haven't 'disproved' this ground-breaking theory is because he has no friends.

Go about your lives and your coinciding serious, grownup debates about global-warming. Move along.
edit on 22-11-2010 by snusfanatic because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 22 2010 @ 11:56 AM
link   
From year 2000 temps have been dropping. HELLLLLLOOOOOOOO!
just calm down and watch this

posted on Nov, 22 2010 @ 12:08 PM
link   
3.9million views on youtube.

That would be pretty good if you were advertising on the video.

Anyone fancy a pepsi?

Too obvious. This is trash.

posted on Nov, 22 2010 @ 12:19 PM
link   
This thread could do with a title change, but good find, well worth showing to as many people as possible

posted on Nov, 22 2010 @ 12:20 PM
link   
First off when are we going to get thread titles that reflect thread content!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Secondly the scenarios shown are cherry picking issues. In reality there is no difference between 'False A (yes)' and 'True B (no)'.

It's a classic distortion of reality by seeing the world only through 'Western' eyes. In scenario 'False A' global depression is a catastrophe that includes all the factors written in 'True B'. Just because the majority of westerners will not starve to death it doesn't mean that hundreds of millions of people in the third world will not starve. The global depression for the majority of the world will collapse their economy, destroy their political system, destroy society, foster wars, desecrate the environment and cause terminal health problems for billions of people.

The best way to resolve this issue is to stamp out the abuse of the third world by western democracies. we have to stop taking advantage of the less fortunate and have an equitable division of resources.

posted on Nov, 22 2010 @ 12:22 PM
link   
reply to post by snusfanatic

You've missed the point of the video, its not whether or not global warming is human caused or not.

Its playing safe.

posted on Nov, 22 2010 @ 12:58 PM
link   
Wow, you golobal warming advocates are getting crazier and crazier. Now, that the evidence is starting to point in a way that demonstrates the failures of the theory you are saying we should spend lots of money because it is better safe than sorry. You are actually saying we should bankrupt ourselves because their might be a problem.

There are several problems with this way of doing things. The first problem is, will the money that we throw at the problem really fix anything, if not, we are broke, starving,and we are still destroying the world.

The other problem is you are willing to bankrupt our nation not knowing whether or not there is a problem.

posted on Nov, 22 2010 @ 01:17 PM
link   
reply to post by KineticFaction

that's not a serious argument. "my smiley face beats your smiley face, look how scary i can make this box sound" crammed into a prisoner's dilemma grid is not a revolutionary or particularly persuasive argument on something as complex as global warming.

"lets play it safe" is a mindset that you START OUT WITH. you can't prove "let's play it safe" the way this guy claims he is. He's starting out ultra risk adverse, assuming the worse about everything, and letting the chips fall in an arbitrary way as a result.

perhaps if the GW skeptics, beefed up their doomsday rhetoric, then their frowny face would one-up the doomsday rhetoric of the GW believers and take their place as the 'ultimate smiley face'

My point is that you can't fit something this complex into a prisoner's delimna box, because it makes the conclusion forgone. Plus he did it wrong....

He needs some unified measurement to put in the boxes like 'economic impact in 2010 US dollars over the next 100 years' otherwise its just silly. And once you decide on a standard measurement to put in those boxes, it becomes clear that you NEED to gauge the ODDS of global warming being man-made and reversible in order to accurately calculate the expected risk and returns.

fail. fail. fail. this video is a fail.

posted on Nov, 22 2010 @ 01:29 PM
link   
Dude is seriously "minimizing" the economic collapse part and exaggerating the global warming results. If volcanic eruptions can't "end the world" (Mt. St. Helen anyone?) ... how can we really say that now we're at a point where the carbon emissions of humanity will suddenly and catastrophically do that which things more powerful than we can imagine cannot do?

I look at it like this: if we do NOT take "action" we have a 3/4 chance of not killing ourselves.

Oh - and the "green" movement is a money making scam operating under a blanket of fear.

... When the cold war died - they needed another boogie man to "unite" the world....

posted on Nov, 22 2010 @ 01:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by Tribble
The guy has a single message here- choose the slippery slope of choose to hold on to what ground we have left.

4 million hits is fantastic, I hope it's at 10 million by this time next year.

This post helps spread his "easy to understand message" it should be posted here every three months.

we' veshown the logical fallacy here: its"bullocks".and fear mongering

posted on Nov, 22 2010 @ 01:35 PM
link   
Hey you simple minded global warming advocates. Your own leader is turning against you.

www.foxnews.com...
In this link Gore is actually stating that he was fighting for money for his home state. I know a lot of you don't like Fox News, but these are quotes from the Global Warming God.

I hate to say this but all of you that believe in global warming are nothing but sheep. If it was in a movie that eating dead infants was beneficial to you, you would probably do it. Think for yourselves and outside the box. To many people stand to profit from the Global Warming Myth for there to be any truth to it.
edit on 22-11-2010 by russ212 because: Added what was in the link

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6 >>

join