It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Howard Stern:'I criticize Bush and then I'm fired'

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 30 2004 @ 03:37 PM
link   
us.cnn.com...

Radio host Howard Stern took aim at the Bush administration, the Federal Communications Commission (FCC) and media giant Clear Channel as he announced Wednesday that his program will soon be broadcast on nine new stations across the country.

Long live Freedom of speech!!!

[edit on 30-6-2004 by Perfect stranger]

posted on Jun, 30 2004 @ 03:39 PM
link   
Howard Stern is the King of Free Speech. I highly doubt this is for real. I think for once he was just like...Ok guys...Im old. Lets just make up so crap and go home. Can I somehow win though? Thatd make everyone forget Fartman.

posted on Jun, 30 2004 @ 03:42 PM
link   
All hail Stern. Is it sad he has to be the one to stand up for freedom of speech? Yes his show was sick and wrong and down right hilarious, but of all the things he had done, the FCC ban him for bashing Bush. Well, no, they banned him cause a caller called in asking what a black woman tastes like. But that is bs for Stern had done many many things 1,000,000,000,000 times worse than that, and it was Stern doing them, not some caller. It is just a coincidence that the FCC ban him at the same time he is bashing Bush. But we all know Stern was fired for no other reason than not being a republican. Hey, he could probably sue if he wanted to.

posted on Jun, 30 2004 @ 03:50 PM
link   
Howard Stern was not fired for critisizing GWB. He was fired for making crude, grotesque and inappropriate sexual comments.

I used to think the guy was pretty funny, then it got old real fast. I think he was being crude just for the sake of being crude. His show seemed to always be sexually related and pretty demeaning and demoralizing to women in general. Godd riddance to bad rubbish.

It is not afreedom of speech issue. It is about pushing the limits of what the FCC will allow on radio. I have no problem with his show on E! It is a cable show and not radio.

posted on Jul, 1 2004 @ 05:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by nyarlathotep
Howard Stern was not fired for critisizing GWB. He was fired for making crude, grotesque and inappropriate sexual comments.

It is not afreedom of speech issue. It is about pushing the limits of what the FCC will allow on radio. I have no problem with his show on E! It is a cable show and not radio.

Yep, that's the truth, which now Stern is trying to spin around so Americans will feel sorry for him and blame Bush for something else. Oh yeah right...now Bush is the reason for Stern using inappropriate comments......

I am telling you, people are blaming Bush these days for the dumbest of reasons. Soon we will see people blaming Bush for their indigestion and flatulence problems....

posted on Jul, 1 2004 @ 05:29 PM
link   
Uh, you do realize Stern had done many worse things and the FCC did nothing? It wasn't until he started criticizing Bush that the FCC decided to ban him. Before he and callers and guests said and did things that wouldn't be allowed on HBO or Showtime late night. But all of a sudden he starts telling the truth about Bush and he gets canceled. Sounds like Bush had him censored.

posted on Jul, 2 2004 @ 10:57 PM
link   
two points.

number one clear channel was not nor were they ever howard strern's employer so there is no way they could have fird him. they had a contract to broadcast his show on several of their radio stations, that means they are a customer, a consumer.

number two clear channel dropped him after janet jackson decided to show her floppy boob to the world during the superbowl half time show and had nothing to do with him aside from the fact that everyone flipped out and clear channel overreacted by adopting a zero tolerance policy because they were afraid the FCC was ghoing to hammer them thanks to ms jackson and her floppy right boob.

stern has had these problem his entire career and he has been at this for DECADES. certainly a person who was unsuccessful wouldnt last for decades and be number one in several markets at a time and revolutionize how radio is done would they? no, they'd be stuck on the am dial playing lawrence welk instead.

stern is a MONEY GENERATOR. for every one advertiser he loses he has at LEAST two more waiting in the wings to get aired on his show and they pay him gladly. they know he is successful based on his books (he does have those and they sold like hot cakes) his radio show ratings (number one positions all over the country) and his success of a movie.

stern had been criticizing bush since he was elected, he criticized clinton although he didnt do it AS much as he does bush. he criticizes EVERYONE.

but the real reason why clear channel dropped him is because of janet jackson and the fall out over her boob. everyone flipped out over reacted and clear channel followed suit.

of course for every radio station that drops him there is another in that same market that is most willing to pick him up. in fact this has happened several times and generally spells doom for the former stations at they lose listeners in droves.

stern was all over bush before janet jackson and noone said a word, noone cared, janet flops out her little saggy boob and everyone wanted sterns blood as if HE was the one exposing himself on stage.

in fact every time something controversial happens on the radio or TV everyone wants to blame stern.

what in gods name did he have to do with jackson and her tit? but his name popped up as soon as it happened. dont we have someone better to blame like ms jackson and her failed attempt at regaining the spotlight because she had a new album she wanted to sell by whipping out her whithered up teet?

to hell with clear channel and to hell with the FCC. james is right stern has doen far worse and nothing happened to him but it WASNT because of his comments about bush. that is just the cherry on the sundae of his screwing over thanks to clear channel and the FCC.

clear channel had him on his radio station in my city for YEARS, years, not months or weeks, YEARS. you mean to tell me that they had him on all those years and they didnt know what his show was like? BS! they had him on their station because he made them money and lots of it and soon as the direction of the wind changed a little bit they dropped him like a bad habit and wanted to blast him. however until that point that had nary a complaint about him or for him....because he was making them money doing the same thing he's been doing all these years.

posted on Jul, 2 2004 @ 11:15 PM
link   
Actually if you watch the movie Private Parts, you'll see that even Stern himself claims that the only reason he survived in the media was because he "out smarted" the FCC and NBC and the major networks that would air him.

He found the loop-holes that allowed him to be grotesque until the rules were laxed to allow him to do it freely.

Now the rules are being tightened again, and rightly so.

E.g. however is when Stern did that "name that thing" game.

Such as...

Stern - "willow"
Co-worker - "pu.ss.y"
Stern - "that's right, a pussywillow!"
Stern - "a-doodle-doo"
Co-worker - "cock!"

You get the idea...Stern was saved by two things.

First, that his contract was fully signed BEFORE they knew he was a freaking pervert.

Second, he changed his strategy to fit within loop-holes so that he wouldn't be immediately tossed out.

posted on Jul, 2 2004 @ 11:19 PM
link   
yes freemason.

one person outsmarts every media outlet and major media company for decades and noone catches on.

OK!

he's still a success and if he's THAT smart then he deserves to be successful.

posted on Jul, 3 2004 @ 03:38 AM
link   
Hmmm, I thought he was kicked off some stations for a racial remark. I don't think he was taken off the air completly. I seem to recall a thread on this a while back. I try and search for it.

posted on Jul, 3 2004 @ 03:43 AM
link   
heres a couple of threads I dug up, there should be a few more.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

www.abovetopsecret.com...

top topics

join