It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Are you prepared for the Oil crash and the end of our current way of life?

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 19 2010 @ 05:35 AM
link   
reply to post by Donegal_TDI

Cheap Nuclear energy? No such thing. Nuclear power plants can cost 10's of Billions and are very energy intensive to construct. It's also not a renewable energy source. Uranium, which has to be found and extracted from the earth at high cost and burning more energy, is also a finite substance. Then there's enrichment, a very energy intensive process. Then there's the problem of Nuclear waste. Billions more for waste facilities. And of course there's the dangers of Nuclear power. Sellafield and Chernobyl have proven that accidents can and do happen.

edit on 19-11-2010 by Project-Sign because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 19 2010 @ 05:47 AM
link   
In that case, there are challenging times ahead for us and our offspring. Maybe we should live Amish style, back breaking work but good for the soul

posted on Nov, 19 2010 @ 05:59 AM
link   
"yo peak oil is a myth dude, yeah err the earth naturally produces oil and so we'll be able to use oil like forever, err yeah it's scientifically proven. Oil running out is just fear mongering, it's a conspiracy to keep oil prices up so stop being paranoid".
Seriously do people actually think about what their saying?

Take a look at this:
go to 13:30

www.youtube.com...

posted on Nov, 19 2010 @ 06:05 AM
link   
I was a believer for a peak oil collapse, but then I realised, Halliburton, Shell BP etc etc have pretty much sewn up and commercialized enough oil fields to ensure a steady flow well into the next 40-50yrs. Iraq is now the 2nd, if not the 1st on the list of '' largest oil fields'' in the world.

Prices will never drop below $1.05, but will fluctuate, with a average around $1.20 to $1.50. When large events occur, ie cyclones, wars, strikes and such it will rise to around $1.80-$2.00.

The end of our current way of life, as in day to day living will come with mass population outbreaks.IE, Strikes, Riots, Unemployed impoverished people. Industry and production would slowly erode away as the working populace thins out, but this would be insignificant as most jobs are handled via cheap labour on foreign soil.

How will this come on you say?

Take note of where your sitting the second your reading this. I mean take note of everything. Taking note of 1. How much food is in your cupboard, 2. How much petrol is in your car, 3. How much physical cash you have in your wallet or in your room.

What happens if tonight all atm's, telecommunications, alarms and data died due to some massive technological collapse? How long could you last?

I'd have close to $30 in my wallet, the banks have the rest. Id have about 4 weeks of food in my bare pantry. And I'd have close to a quater tank of petrol in my motorcycle. After maybe 6-8 weeks? im desperate for food just like everybody else.

..... thats how I see the end of our current life. People could survive without oil, we do have alternatives.
But people could not survive without money.

edit on 19-11-2010 by Agit8dChop because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 19 2010 @ 06:12 AM
link   
reply to post by SpaceMonkeys

Good post.

People should be paying attention to her comments on Oil companies moving more and more into offshore drilling, which is even more expensive. They're doing this out of necessity. There's little oil to be found anywhere else. Anything that's offshore is inherently more difficult and expensive to find and remove. This automatically boosts the price of this oil.

They also mention the IEA (International Energy Agency) confirming that we're past peak oil production. What more do people need to hear before they'll accept this?

posted on Nov, 19 2010 @ 06:35 AM
link   
reply to post by Project-Sign

LOOK UP THORIUM REACTORS, take your own advice deny ignorance...your own is glaring! You have made so many statements that are absolutely false in this thread it is pitiful. You need to unplug yourself from the media matrix and get some facts.

I have seen many many replies to your OP which you seem to either ignore or you have not read, you keep saying the same things and refusing to acknowledge several points brought up regarding alternate energy sources. We still use oil as we do because the clic of banksters and corporatists who currently have control, wish to keep the status quo. They like the way they make money and until they are forced to modify that, they will decline to change it. That is why the patent holders of super efficient fuel delivery systems, (carbueration and fuel injection) that reportedly enable a car to achieve 100mpg and more, get bought out by the big money corporations, and shelved in a dark room somewhere safe. That is why the oil lobby has been thwarting the implimentation of the electric car, congressionally mandated since the mid 80's. Thats why all alternative energy research and development has been a low priority for the public energy suppliers. With all of the incredible things we can do technologically as a race, do you really believe that if it weren't for the banksters, we would still be using cancer causing, air polluting, oil spilling gasoline for vehicular propulsion? When we could drive SUPER HOT-RODS that run on HYDROGEN! Lotta energy in those lil hydrogen atoms...

Whoever said that oil will never be replaced also needs to open their mind to reality. You are lead to believe that oil is scarce and irreplaceable, it is neither. Hemp, which, while someone else made a drug cartel implication, is not a drug, could replace oil in the majority of oil's industrial uses. Most of the incredible amount of energy it would require to produce corn for ethanol, and hemp for approximately 50,000 industrial uses, comes mostly from the sun, corn does not take vast amounts of investment to produce, neither does hemp.

posted on Nov, 19 2010 @ 06:48 AM
link   
Hello

I just sorta jumped after reading 2 pages to ask a question, and i've read and looked professors talking about the math of oil usage.

How did oir current oil reserves came to be? i've been wondering that, this ancient story from schools that oil formed
from dead plants over dinosaur carcasses over millions of years of high pressure...

Then let me ask another thing, if British Oil was trying to tap an oil well deep down, how and who put these dinosaur to decompose this deep -.-

After clicking the link, click again to zoom in the picture

There's something about oil thats not yet understood completely, i'd say
But it's a fact what this thread poses that, with our current numbers, humans will run out of oil

That is before those numbers will be reconfigured

posted on Nov, 19 2010 @ 06:54 AM
link   
The only thing peaking with oil is capacity to drill it and refine it. Those things are all human constructs and capacity can be increased.

Oil is Abiotic. It is not made from rotting gooey plants and dinosaurs, it is formed via a natural geographic processes. The earth is always making more.

TPTB are playing everyone anyway as they already have their hyperdimensional energy device. They don't need oil. The oil is just another aspect of the fiat currency ponzi pyramid, used to maintain their current social construct.

posted on Nov, 19 2010 @ 06:56 AM
link   
reply to post by Agit8dChop

Yes we could survive without money, food water and shelter is what we need to survive. We need to break our dependence on the corporations that have monopolized the industries that now serve to sustain our basic needs. Food, clothing, toiletries; who knows how to produce these things on thier own these days? Who can grow and raise their own food, weave cloth from cotton wool or even hemp, meet their personal needs without visiting the Walmart? Where are all of the craftsmen? Where are the goods that 'we' used to produce which could be used for trade and barter? The crops we used to grow and sell at farmers markets? Money only became very important when the ability to produce goods was lost and we became dependent on the Walmarts, (Sears, CVS, etc...) for every basic neccessity.

Money is the root of all evil, it is also the preferred tool or weapon of the so called elite. If there was no money, the elite would have no control over us, unless they somehow gained total control over the food or water supplies...which they are also trying to do...As it is, money, and its issueance to the people through central banks, at interest, is a form of control through debt, that facilitates slavery, economic and otherwise...

Living without money would be a good thing in my opinion. It would require radical changes in us individually and our society, but I think that those changes would be very positive.

posted on Nov, 19 2010 @ 07:09 AM
link   

Originally posted by Banjamin Jefferson Madiso

take your own advice deny ignorance...your own is glaring! You have made so many statements that are absolutely false in this thread it is pitiful. You need to unplug yourself from the media matrix and get some facts.

What statements are those? Anything I've said is readily available for anyone to read for themselves on the internet.You stated that Oil production is not in decline without providing any reason or evidence for saying it.

Is the International Energy Agency not trustworthy enough? They say peak oil began in 2006.

www.reuters.com...

Should I just take you at your word?These people are experts. You're a guy sitting at home at his computer. I think I'll side with the IEA on this one.

And 'Media matrix'? Please. You'll very rarely hear of Peak oil mentioned on mainstream news. Thanks for your input though.

Edit : By the way, Thorium is a very promising energy sourse, but at the moment it's still promising. Far more research and funding is needed. As I've said many times in this thread, it all depends how fast the Oil decline comes upon us. We could have alternatives in place in time if Governments put up the necessary funding to do so.

posted on Nov, 19 2010 @ 07:47 AM
link   
I tend to think that oil is replenishing itself - but at what rate?

If, IF, peak oil is true then that would be a problem. Many new technologies simply shift the burden from the gas pump to another place. I'm not saying that a solution could not be had - necessity is the mother of invention. However, people have to recognize the real problem at hand and for that may I direct your attention to this little video. The problem is the failure on the part of our planners, leaders, organizers to understand the exponential function. (go back and look at that population graph in the OP, its exponential)

Now I'm not advocating NWO population reduction, sterilization schemes and the like. That is simply evil. What I do think is that people shouldn't bury their heads in the sand and ignore this. Education is key. People need to know that continuous growth is not sustainable. Our whole economic system is one that relies on continuous growth for success. Another video worth watching is "Money As Debt". This video explains how money is created and that continuous growth is a necessity of such a system.

Max Keiser had a guest on that discusses this very thing - a collision of peak oil and peak debt - well worth watching

edit on 19-11-2010 by MegaMind because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 19 2010 @ 07:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by Reconciler
After witnessing The complete farce that has been the G10 , G12 , G20's attempts to agree on ways to save the planet from climate change , ecological damage , saving the rainforest , saving whales , saving anything really..........its fair to say that agreeing on anything is a complete bollocks.
250 , 000 people were killed by the earthquake in Haiti. £millions were donated by people all over the world , and a huge percentage of the aid hasn't even got there , and now to make matters worse , there is a cholera outbreak thats killed over 1000 people while hundreds of thousands of people are still living in tents.

Do I have faith that the governments of the world can put aside their self-serving "its all about me " attitudes and work together to find a renewable energy source and change the financial infrastructure of the whole planet ?

'fraid not.
people are just too greedy and selfish. The amount of species we have either made extinct or brought to the edge of extinction is shocking , yet we remain mostly ignorant of it because the companies who are exploiting wildlife , ecosystems , environment , climate , are too concerned with their own wealth to give a damn about any " concerns "

I agree entirely. I have come to the conclusion that we are screwed. I do find it puzzling though that the deniers, skeptics and conspiracy theorists seem to to think there is some "green conspiracy to carbon tax us all" when the reality is that denial is far more profitable for those in power and exactly in line with what is happening ; business as usual .

On BBC Radio4 a couple of years ago they interviewed a geologist who used to work for "Big oil". He confirmed exactly what the OP has stated, it was here that I first learnt about the OPEC quota system which severely distorts estimates of oil. He categorically stated the oil we have left is far less than stated. OPEC manipulates the price for a secondary reason : if we thought oil was running out we would find an alternate energy source (not tinker as we do at present) which would then severly reduce the income for the oil companies. Instead the manipulation of price and stated reserves maintains the illusion of supply at an affordable price so that the oil companies can squeeze every last dollar from the world........

As for "oil on moons" stated by some.....hmmm. What they forgot to mention was that it was ONE MOON in particular, namely Titan. It has an atmosphere of ethane and methane which are indeed hydrocarbons which is what oil is. However the link from the simplest hydrocarbon to the complex mix of crude oil is very deceiving of those that state it.

posted on Nov, 19 2010 @ 07:55 AM
link   

Are you willing to admit that perhaps you are being duped? Current theory allows for oil being abiotic. Oil wells in Texas that have been capped off are refilling from the bottom up. Russian super deep wells are much deeper than any fossils are ever found at even allowing for subduction. TPTB push the idea of fossil fuels to push the idea of scarcity. Scarcity increases prices. They are getting all they can while they can. So many people have been suckered by the talking heads. Here are some articles to get you started.

www.youtube.com...

peswiki.com...:Abiotic_Oil

www.canadafreepress.com...

sdai-tech1.blogspot.com...

posted on Nov, 19 2010 @ 07:59 AM
link   

It's my understanding that pretty much anything that can be made from oil, can also be made using hemp oil. Henry Ford made one of the first cars that ran on hemp, and it was also made using plastics derived from hemp oil. If peak oil is real, there are alternative oils, that renew themselves, and aren't carcinogenic to boot. Hemp grows almost anywhere. I welcome the end of fossil fuels, they are disgusting and unhealthy...

www.hempcar.org...

posted on Nov, 19 2010 @ 08:00 AM
link   
reply to post by MegaMind

Great video, perfect illustration why infinite growth is unsustainable.

'More everything!!!'

Comes back to the fractional reserve banking system, it has to be changed in the end.

posted on Nov, 19 2010 @ 08:03 AM
link   
By 2030 everything will be using nano tube technology! Including cell batterys.

posted on Nov, 19 2010 @ 08:03 AM
link   
reply to post by 27jd

I would love to have a HEMP car!

posted on Nov, 19 2010 @ 08:07 AM
link   
Don't be to frightened now folks.

In 8 months I will be done with school ( Brønnteknikk ) here where I'M from in Norway.
It's the school course which leads you offshore on oil rig installations, where u work with, drilling, completion, caseing, so on. The only course there is for it, they deal it on 4 schools in this country, in 7 classes total.
I know some stuff, cause ill start working this summer.

Anyway, in Norway, we produce hydrocarbons as most people know, from the Northsea. ( Between England, Netherlands and Norway )

We still estimate a production from there to atleast 2050.

But here is the thing, we got huge oil / gas reservoirs In something called "Lofoten" which hasent been alloved to drill in yet, contractors are fighting peak and claw for a foothold, but we will drill it up ourselfs, and we have negotiated with the Ruissans Up faar north, in the "Barents" sea. Wich is also an HUUUUGe unspoiled territorry. So Expect oil 2150.

Good Post OP * & F

posted on Nov, 19 2010 @ 08:12 AM
link   
reply to post by summerbreeze.ddp

I'm willing to accept it's possible, but I don't believe it's happening. You're talking about a handful of wells in Texas. There could be several explanations for it. But for those few wells, there are thousands that are dry, and staying dry. If I think about that logically, I know what conclusion I'm going to come to. It's simple, if oil is abiotic, then where is it? Oil companies are spending Billions to move into offshore drilling because they can't find any easy assessible Oil on dry land. Why would they spend that money if it wasn't necessary? If it's a con job, it's an expensive one. And just for arguments sake that oil is abiotic, but happens to produce itself very slowly. Well that's fine and dandy for 5, 10 or 15 generations down the road, but it does us little good. I'll be honest, I think the abiotic oil theory is based on wishful thinking.

posted on Nov, 19 2010 @ 08:15 AM
link   
reply to post by summerbreeze.ddp

Me too, much stronger than the cars today. Henry Ford went at his hemp car with an axe, to prove it.

Also, here's a comparison of hemp fuels vs. petrol...

www.hempcar.org...

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join