It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Could an antidepressant solve the mystery that is migraine?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 16 2010 @ 12:43 PM
link   

Could an antidepressant solve the mystery that is migraine?

www.telegraph.co.uk< br />

Now and again I have a vision. Not of a golden future in which servile oiks queue to put pound coins in a tin before each lecture, nor of a dystopia in which higher education is brought to its knees by a reckless ideological experiment, but of an imaginary cosmos inside my head which projects itself unpredictably upon the real world.

The 12th-century mystic and composer Hildegard of Bingen had the same problem: "I saw a great star most splendid and beautiful, and with it an exceeding multitude of falling stars… and suddenly they were all annihilated, being turned to black coals… and c
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related AboveTopSecret.com Discussion Threads:
Nuchal cord, Migraine, Stroke. A Biological Destiny?

posted on Nov, 16 2010 @ 12:43 PM
link   
Nope.

I have experience with both migraine and antidepressants, and I can say that I still experienced them just as intensely when taking the tablets. However it does suggest that only certain types may be effective.

What I did find interesting about the article is the interpretation that visions experienced in the past could have been the migraine aura sufferers experience before the onset of the headache. He also speaks about a brief moment of ecstasy that comes with the migraine.

Well he has lost me there, when a migraine aura occurs I see it as a precursor to the debilitating headache, and therefore an omen of the day wrecking process that is about to begin

I have also linked in a thread I did a few weeks ago about the possible origins of the Migraine, resulting from labour trauma. A completely original theory as I have not seen it anywhere else, and an interesting read if you have a few minutes... But then I am biased.

www.telegraph.co.uk< br /> (visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Nov, 16 2010 @ 12:49 PM
link   
reply to post by Big Raging Loner

I have had no relief from migraines with anti-depressants either.

My first migraine was the result of a case of heat stroke, I have gotten them ever since. I take Tramadol (Ultram) to relieve the pain.

Have you ever had an eye migraine? That is what my doctor called it anyway. I lost most of my vision on the right side of my visual field, but felt no pain.

posted on Nov, 16 2010 @ 12:52 PM
link   
Most people I know with migraines have a certain trigger. My brother's is caffeine and a friend of mines is alcohol. Perhaps the bodies way of signaling it doesn't like a certain something?

And anti-depressants are dangerous. Some have real bad side effects. I use St. Johns Wort for my depression because it lacks the side effects... perhaps give it a shot for your migraines?

posted on Nov, 16 2010 @ 12:56 PM
link   
I actually have had significant relief from migraines as a result of taking a combination of antidepressants with steroid precursors and exercise. Until you've experienced it, you have no idea how great it feels not to have constant, debilitating headaches every day. I feel like I have a life. And that makes me a lot less depressed, to boot.

But it took forever to find the right combination of things to make the pain go away. Decades.

posted on Nov, 16 2010 @ 01:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by butcherguy
Have you ever had an eye migraine? That is what my doctor called it anyway. I lost most of my vision on the right side of my visual field, but felt no pain.

I have what they call "classic" migraines, which include blindness/sparkling areas in some parts of my vision (auras), numbness in my fingers, face, and tongue, sensitivity to light, and pain. When I was younger, I used to have pain so bad it made me throw up. Now, I can just work through it with minimal pain, although the antidepressants have virtually eliminated them. I only get them if I eat roasted peanuts (or something like potato chips fried in peanut oil), curries, ginger, and a few other things, or have some serious disruption in my sleep schedule.

posted on Nov, 16 2010 @ 01:11 PM
link   
reply to post by butcherguy

Thanks for the replies folks!

Butcherguy I haven't experienced a migraine which is localised to just the eye. But what does happen is I get a little tiny blur right in the centre of my vision, which then 'hatches' into a spiral of wavy jagged lines growing in size until I pretty much can't see anything. Then just like that it disappears and is replaced by a beast of a headache.

Azjazzer8 my personal triggers are not eating, oversleeping, under sleeping, extensive exercise without correct breathing technique. So I can generally avoid them with a bit of discipline. Blue Shift definitely with you there buddy, exercise is the key to improving mood, and of course circulation which is directly related to migraine. I am glad to here you've got yourself a balance that works because I know what it's like being bed ridden by these damn headaches.

If you check out my other thread I would be interested in hearing your thoughts on my theory. Particularly how you feel about the documented link between migraine and stroke later in life. Lets face it alot of the symptoms are the same!

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Nov, 16 2010 @ 01:40 PM
link   
reply to post by Azjazzer8

Hi,

Interesting about the 'trigger' - sometimes a passing car reflecting sunlight can start the 'classic' wavering of lights. (Luckily I live in the UK so that doesn't happen too frequently!) I posted in the referenced thread how I deal with it.

Peace!

posted on Nov, 16 2010 @ 02:03 PM
link   
I also sometimes experience classic migraines, with sight aura and then headache, altrough most of the time the whole episode lasts only for for 2-3 hours. I suspect the triggers are certain odorous or aromatic substances (peppers, red wine, chocolate..) and maybe also bright flashy lights.
What seems to lower the incidence of my migraines is Ginkgo biloba . Try it, it certainly wont hurt you.
Also try marijuana

posted on Nov, 16 2010 @ 02:24 PM
link   
My migraines were solve with better hydration and less stress. But a normal every day headache can turn in to a migraine in a flash so based on my doctors recommendations, on the first sign of a headache I pop 3 X 400 mg of Ibuprofen, that usually takes care of the problem, if not, an hour later I pop 2 more 400mgs with a energy drink! That works for me ! ( I don't recommend it though )
My anxiety is being treated by Effexor and Seroquel and lots and lots of physical activity and sex ...LOL....

posted on Nov, 16 2010 @ 02:26 PM
link   
reply to post by Blue Shift

When I was younger, I used to have pain so bad it made me throw up.

I still get that.

If I get my Tramadol into my system before it gets bad, I can avoid the vomiting.

top topics

join