It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Anti-U.N. riots hit Haiti, blame U.N. troops for cholera

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 15 2010 @ 01:57 PM
link   

Anti-U.N. riots hit Haiti, blame U.N. troops for cholera

www.reuters.com

Reuters) - Protesters in Haiti who blamed United Nations peacekeepers for the epidemic of cholera there rioted in two cities on Monday, hurling rocks and setting fire to a police station, police and eyewitnesses said.

In the northern city of Cap-Haitien, the demonstrators torched a police station after confronting U.N. troops, while in Hinche in the central region, they threw stones at Nepalese U.N. peacekeepers.

A cholera epidemic, which broke out last month, has killed more than 900 people in the poor earthquake-hit Caribbean country, and the U.N. mission has repeatedly denied widespre
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Nov, 15 2010 @ 01:57 PM
link   
I was wondering where did all that aide go that was sent to haiti in after the earthquake.. Billions of dollars and the people there are still suffering from cholera outbreaks.

I would be rioting the un also, but I would riot the corrupt politicians that stole all that aide money becaue it is quite obvious that money went somewhere right??

Do you think this was an attack on the people already devasted to get more aide for TPTB in haiti..

It is sad seeing this happen when something could be done about it with the billions of dollars they have recieved.

Why would something that can be cured kill more and more people.. Something smells fishy here and it aint just the water.

www.reuters.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

edition.cnn.com...

cnn reports:

"It's not safe to walk in the streets," Marc George, a resident of Cap Haitien, told CNN by telephone. "All the schools and banks are closed. People are fighting the soldiers of MINUSTAH."

The demonstrations began after rumors spread that a Nepalese contingent of peacekeepers may have spread the disease, he said. "So they attack them," he said. "The people were shooting."

A bit on cholera from wiki:

Cholera is an infection of the small intestine caused by the bacterium Vibrio cholerae. The main symptoms are profuse watery diarrhea and vomiting. Transmission is primarily through consuming contaminated drinking water or food. The severity of the diarrhea and vomiting can lead to rapid dehydration and electrolyte imbalance. Primary treatment is with oral rehydration solution and if these are not tolerated, intravenous fluids. Antibiotics are beneficial in those with severe disease. Worldwide it affects 3-5 million people and causes 100,000-130,000 deaths a year as of 2010. Cholera was one of the earliest infections to be studied by epidemiological methods.

Prevention

Cholera hospital in Dhaka, showing typical cholera beds.Although cholera may be life-threatening, prevention of the disease is normally straightforward if proper sanitation practices are followed. In developed countries, due to nearly universal advanced water treatment and sanitation practices, cholera is no longer a major health threat. The last major outbreak of cholera in the United States occurred in 1910-1911.[13][14] Effective sanitation practices, if instituted and adhered to in time, are usually sufficient to stop an epidemic. There are several points along the cholera transmission path at which its spread may be halted:

Sterilization: Proper disposal and treatment of infected faecal waste water produced by cholera victims and all contaminated materials (e.g. clothing, bedding, etc.) is essential. All materials that come in contact with cholera patients should be sterilized by washing in hot water using chlorine bleach if possible. Hands that touch cholera patients or their clothing, bedding, etc., should be thoroughly cleaned and disinfected with chlorinated water or other effective anti-microbial agents.
Sewage: anti-bacterial treatment of general sewage by chlorine, ozone, ultra-violet light or other effective treatment before it enters the waterways or underground water supplies helps prevent undiagnosed patients from inadvertently spreading the disease.
Sources: Warnings about possible cholera contamination should be posted around contaminated water sources with directions on how to decontaminate the water (boiling, chlorination etc.) for possible use.
Water purification: All water used for drinking, washing, or cooking should be sterilized by either boiling, chlorination, ozone water treatment, ultra-violet light sterilization (e.g. by solar water disinfection), or anti-microbial filtration in any area where cholera may be present. Chlorination and boiling are often the least expensive and most effective means of halting transmission. Cloth filters, though very basic, have significantly reduced the occurrence of cholera when used in poor villages in Bangladesh that rely on untreated surface water. Better anti-microbial filters like those present in advanced individual water treatment hiking kits are most effective. Public health education and adherence to appropriate sanitation practices are of primary importance to help prevent and control transmission of cholera and other diseases

Vaccine
A number of safe and effective oral vaccines for cholera are available.[3][16] Dukoral an orally administered inactivated whole cell vaccine has an efficacy of 85% with minimal side effects.[17] It is available in over 60 countries. However, it is not currently recommended by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) for most people traveling from the United States to the third world.[18] One injectable vaccine was found to be effective for 2–3 years.[16] It however has limited availability as of 2010.[3] Work is under way to investigate the role of mass vaccination.[19] The World Health Organization (WHO) recommends immunization of high risk groups such as children and people with HIV in countries where this disease is endemic.[3] If people are immunized broadly herd immunity results with a decrease in the amount of contamination in the environment.[4]

en.wikipedia.org...

Why hasn't something been done by these UN goons????
edit on 15-11-2010 by thecinic because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 15 2010 @ 02:17 PM
link   
reply to post by thecinic

I wondered the same thing I even donated like 10 bucks or something after it happened with my cell phone. I read an article somewhere recently that the money is pretty much unspent. WTF? haha whatever.

posted on Nov, 15 2010 @ 02:27 PM
link   

Cholera isn't something that usually happens in that area, no?
I have never heard of it in that region of the world, but common in many other places....

posted on Nov, 15 2010 @ 03:01 PM
link   

They want more money, the charity organizations have become corrupt.

I read a report not long ago that the only thriving in business in Haiti now is rich restaurants, clubs and bars. All used by the UN workers, who are suppose to help rebuild and feed the starving people.

Another documentary in Al-Jazeera showed the head quarters of the relief funds, it was empty. No workers at all.

Haitians are still living in tents

posted on Nov, 15 2010 @ 03:03 PM
link   

US brought thousands of troops with guns for some reason, I guess Chavez was right.

Their was no violence or any thing in Haiti, why did thousands of troops come in, and why did UN peace keepers come in?

Something big is up in Haiti, I don't know what they are testing, or what they are planing, it reminds me of that video game where biological weapons are tested.

Finally Haitians are turning violent.

posted on Nov, 15 2010 @ 03:07 PM
link   
So i found some more concerning news regarding funds from haiti

www.huffingtonpost.com...

The easiest way to help the relief efforts in Haiti right now is to donate. The problem? Many potential donors are worried that their money will fall into an endless bureaucracy, not got spent properly, or get spent on something else altogether. So, when you give money to a nonprofit organization in a disaster relief situation, where does it go?

CNN's Alina Cho asked UNICEF's Lisa Szarkowski about money that gets donated to her organization. Szarkowski says that donations are converted into aid within a matter of hours.

uh huh matter of hours this money is in the hands of who HAITIS GREEDY GOVERNMENT

There is no way all that relief went to help the people it was probally filling the pockets of their elite who are WELL taken care of... Im going to do a little more research on these so called funds.. BE CAREFUL who you give money to folks if your not giving it directly.

posted on Nov, 15 2010 @ 03:08 PM
link   
I understand the desire to get rid of the UN. It's pretty worthless. But they can't blame the UN for the Cholera.
It's a poor country without much education. It suffered a major disaster.
If they want to place blame, place it on the God who let it happen; place it on mother nature;
place it on themselves for the mess they have allowed themselves to live in.
But in this case, the UN isn't the reason for the Cholera.

(OMG .. did I just defend the UN? Yep. geeeeeze ... who'da guessed it could happen?
)

posted on Nov, 15 2010 @ 03:11 PM
link   
www.cbsnews.com...

U.S. Rebuilding Money Finally Heads to Haiti

The first portion of U.S. reconstruction money for Haiti is on its way more than seven months after it was promised to help the country rebuild from the Jan. 12 earthquake.

The U.S. government will transfer $120 million - about one-tenth of the total amount pledged - to the World Bank-run Haiti Reconstruction Fund in the next few days, U.S. State Department spokesman P.J. Crowley said.

"Having completed the process as outlined in the appropriation, we are now moving aggressively to commit that money to Haiti's reconstruction," Crowley said.

The funds are part of a $1.15 billion pledge made by Secretary of State Hillary Rodham Clinton at the March 31 U.N. donors conference for Haiti. Pledged for fiscal year 2010, which ended in September, the money has faced several delays.

It wasn't until July that Congress appropriated nearly the entire amount pledged, $917 million, in a bill signed by President Barack Obama. But without an authorization bill or an approved spending plan, none of it could not be released.

So from the above post if the money was directly sent to haiti as soon as it was donated how the hell is it just now getting there???

The authorization bill was blocked by Sen. Tom Coburn of Oklahoma. When his hold was reported by The Associated Press, the senator's office initially said he objected to a provision creating a U.S. policy coordinator position that would cost $5 million over five years. Later he said he objected to a lack of cuts in other programs to offset the money spent in Haiti. That bill has never been voted on.

www.nj.com...

IT GETS BETTER PEOPLE

PORT-AU-PRINCE, Haiti — Nearly nine months after the earthquake, more than a million Haitians still live on the streets between piles of rubble. One reason: Not a cent of the $1.15 billion the U.S. promised for rebuilding has arrived.
The money was pledged by Secretary of State Hillary Clinton in March for use this year in rebuilding. The U.S. has already spent more than $1.1 billion on post-quake relief, but without long-term funds, the reconstruction of the wrecked capital cannot begin.

So now they are not fixing stuff and cholera is outbreaking killing more and the billion dollars is just sitting somewhere????

posted on Nov, 15 2010 @ 03:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by mayabong

I wondered the same thing I even donated like 10 bucks or something after it happened with my cell phone. I read an article somewhere recently that the money is pretty much unspent. WTF? haha whatever.

99% of all charities that accept donations towards assisting people with illness/disease/cancer or any natural disasters go directly to some FAT-CATS account whom then LAUGHS at the public for making his bank account and wallet fatter.

Never donate to the causes listed above. NEVER!!!!
edit on 15-11-2010 by ra.ra3 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 15 2010 @ 03:18 PM
link   
money.cnn.com...
Palmer said that $1.3 billion is an impressive tally, coming close to the $1.6 billion that was raised in the wake of the 2004 tsunami in the South Pacific.

Many of the donations came through the American Red Cross, which has raised $468 million for the Haiti relief fund. The organization said it has so far spent $148.5 million -- about a third of the money. About three-quarters has been spent on food, emergency services and shelter, the Red Cross said. It expects to spend over $200 million by the earthquake's first anniversary.

How is it that none of the money is there yet or some of the money is there and I wonder how the elite in haiti are holding up over this/

posted on Nov, 15 2010 @ 03:22 PM
link   
They have every right to be pissed off, the humanitarian effort was an utter mess. Those who kindly donated money only to see it disappear, probably into some shady guy’s pocket, will surely think twice about donating to worthy causes in future.

The response to the earthquake and subsequent troubles was (still is) completely inadequate and it is infuriating enough for us, I can only imagine how the Haitians feel. I say go out and break stuff.

posted on Nov, 15 2010 @ 03:25 PM
link   
Why is Canada sending troops to Haiti?

OTTAWA – Canada deployed non-combat troops to Haiti without parliamentary approval — and will do the same in Afghanistan after July 2011, the Harper government said Monday.

www.thestar.com...

The US have plenty of combat troops in Haiti, Canada is sending non combat, what for? Are they gonna send their military scientists?

I'm starting to think Haiti is the play ground, for biological weapon experiments.

posted on Nov, 15 2010 @ 03:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by oozyism
Why is Canada sending troops to Haiti?

OTTAWA – Canada deployed non-combat troops to Haiti without parliamentary approval — and will do the same in Afghanistan after July 2011, the Harper government said Monday.

www.thestar.com...

The US have plenty of combat troops in Haiti, Canada is sending non combat, what for? Are they gonna send their military scientists?

I'm starting to think Haiti is the play ground, for biological weapon experiments.

What do you think they need to experiment further with? Their neighbor the dominic republic is very wealthy they have lots of plants and manufacturing jobs ALOT of clothes come from dominican republic I don't know if i would want all those troops next to me.... Maybe they just need more help cleaning up?? The thing is a billions dollars over a billion that was to be spent on haiti is not there, they are going to need more money and more but as small as that place is and in poverty you could buy so many things if the billion went towards fixing it clean water. Where the hell is bill gates now??? That great humanitarian could double that billion with out the blink of an eye immediatly..... Why must more nations send more troops supplies and more more more and nothing is getting done????

posted on Nov, 15 2010 @ 03:55 PM
link   
I found this haiti has about 10 millions people ok they got 1.1 billion in aide... THEY COULD GIVE EVERYONE THERE A MILLION DOLLARS!!!

www.huffingtonpost.com...

The numbers are not adding up for 10 million dollars everyone in haiti could be a millionare here are the fact sheets

The population of Haiti is 9.7 million per World Bank/Development Indicators, and the impact of Tuesday's earthquake was nothing short of devastating for many on this island nation.

How many people felt the quake and how bad was the damage? The USGS released this graphic addressing these questions, showing the estimated population of those impacted by the 2010 Haiti earthquake:

posted on Nov, 15 2010 @ 04:08 PM
link   

There are about 10 million people in Haiti.
So far, there has been about 1,700 million dollars donated.

That's about $170 per person.

posted on Nov, 15 2010 @ 04:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by Wildbob77

There are about 10 million people in Haiti.
So far, there has been about 1,700 million dollars donated.

That's about $170 per person.

No there is 1.1 billion to them

WAAAAAY more then 1.7 million read the figures a few post up.

heres a link also cnn money

money.cnn.com...

posted on Nov, 15 2010 @ 10:05 PM
link   
reply to post by oozyism

Canadian troops are going there because we've been the major peacekeeping force in Haiti since it broke out in civil war. Why are American troops there? Shock and awe. Haitians got rid of the pro-American dictatorship there years ago and the US saw its chance to reclaim indirect power there in the aftermath of the earthquake. Why do you think Monsanto was pushing tons of genetically modified seeds on Haiti, only to see the Haitians burn them? It's assimilation.

posted on Nov, 15 2010 @ 10:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by Dimitri Dzengalshlevi
reply to post by oozyism

Canadian troops are going there because we've been the major peacekeeping force in Haiti since it broke out in civil war. Why are American troops there? Shock and awe. Haitians got rid of the pro-American dictatorship there years ago and the US saw its chance to reclaim indirect power there in the aftermath of the earthquake. Why do you think Monsanto was pushing tons of genetically modified seeds on Haiti, only to see the Haitians burn them? It's assimilation.

You know, now that you mentioned the genetically modified seeds, my mom tells me that the same has happened in Afghanistan.

But

Afghans being naive, have bought in to it, and it is sad. My mom just came last month, and said that everything tastes different, everyone has abandoned the original farming methods and have taken in genetically modified seeds.

Now everything is cheaper but the quality has gone down 20X fold.

It is an embarrassing state.

What are these riots really about? That is what I'm wondering.

posted on Nov, 16 2010 @ 04:22 AM
link   
reply to post by oozyism

I did not know that Monsanto was doing this in Afghanistan, but it falls in line with all American efforts to assimilate people stricken by disaster.

If you did not know, Monsanto's GM seeds have executor genes, meaning the crops die off after one cycle. Once you mix GM seeds with regular seeds, the GM seeds will dominate the land. The GM harvest itself is not even genetically the same as natural food and is of a lesser quality.

My point being is that if these GM seeds are spread around Afghanistan, then the Afghans will have to keep buying Monsanto seeds indefinitely if they plan on eating. Indeed, even in the US it is now illegal to sort and use your own seeds and if you do, Monsanto will use as much money as possible to destroy you and your farm in court. This is globalism and the distribution of GM seeds by the Americans on a global scale is done in order to create dependence on the American market at any cost.

And yes, Hatians have been fighting off the WTO and its globalist policies for some time now. This is a good reason for the American troop deployment. Why do the Haitians still live in massive poverty suitable for cholera outbreaks? Because the Americans are trying to break them through famine.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join