It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

It's annoying to have to make 20 posts

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 14 2010 @ 04:58 AM
link   
Hi all,
I am kind of a silent type, I do not have so much to add in general.
I can understand that you do not want newly registered users trashing the forums, but 20 spam posts are from that point of view easy to make.
I am now finding myself making posts that I would not have made otherwise because I want to reach 20.
I don't want to criticize the rules, however I am wondering if another solution is possible?

posted on Nov, 14 2010 @ 05:03 AM
link   
reply to post by whatevername

Yeah, If you have something really interesting to offer in a thread then message a mod and they will decide if it's worthwhile...
Other than that you could tell us a little about yourself..Thats what the intro thread is for...
And welcome to ATS

posted on Nov, 14 2010 @ 05:12 AM
link   

Originally posted by whatevername
Hi all,
I am kind of a silent type, I do not have so much to add in general.
I can understand that you do not want newly registered users trashing the forums, but 20 spam posts are from that point of view easy to make.
I am now finding myself making posts that I would not have made otherwise because I want to reach 20.
I don't want to criticize the rules, however I am wondering if another solution is possible?

So, if you don't have much to add then what is the issue? You want to make a thread about nothing really?

For now, you can reply to any thread in any member forum you wish, as well as send & receive (PM's)Private Messages to Staff only.
Once you have achieved 20 posts, you will then be able to start your own threads and additionally send & receive messages to and from fellow ATS members.

Why do you need to reach twenty when you can already participate in threads? Or do you have an important topic to make?

Just curious...

posted on Nov, 14 2010 @ 05:20 AM
link   
just surfing the forums and commenting on subjects i have studied or was interested in made hitting 20 posts SOOOO easy.

i have more posts that i ever believed i would. because i WANT to join in, to be wrong or right on a subject, to engage with others.

it made me part of this community, whether others think that or not, it made me feel a sense of ownership of the forum.
it doesnt matter if i agree or disagree, but that i join in!
edit on 14-11-2010 by okamitengu because: bad typer

posted on Nov, 14 2010 @ 05:34 AM
link   
I agree, it's annoying to have to interact with people before pushing my own agenda - anyway, as this is my 20th post - I'll just go ahead and start my first thread - Bye bye!!

posted on Nov, 14 2010 @ 05:38 AM
link   
reply to post by anonymousanonymous

Hmmm always nice to see another budding psychopath

Have fun on posts 21 onwards!

posted on Nov, 14 2010 @ 05:47 AM
link   
reply to post by Now_Then

Why thank-you kind sir!

2nd line.
edit on 14-11-2010 by anonymousanonymous because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 14 2010 @ 05:50 AM
link   
Yeah, I want to start a new topic.
I don't want to bother contacting a moderator, but I do want to improve the system

I would expect that when people are posting nonsense, that it won't be flagged and thus will not affect the quality of the general content.
Therefore, I think removing the 20 posts cap is a good thing.

posted on Nov, 14 2010 @ 05:52 AM
link   

You've only got 5 more to go, 4 if you say hello back to me!

Hello and welcome to ATS!

Have fun on your journey

posted on Nov, 14 2010 @ 05:59 AM
link   

The 20 posts cap can only ever be a good thing.

It forces the new user to join in, in the community. (Enabling them to educate themselves)
It forces them to get to know their peers.
It also enables their peers to understand them a bit more - so if they have some Earth shattering thread after 20 posts, people can have a better idea of the type of nutcase it came from!

And lastly, it ensures we don't have people joining up and posting, "ZOMG Moon Landings were f@ked!! Check it out!!" straight away - imagine 50 new threads a day about the JFK assassination - it would be a mods nightmare.
edit on 14-11-2010 by anonymousanonymous because: spelling

posted on Nov, 14 2010 @ 06:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by whatevername
I am now finding myself making posts that I would not have made otherwise

Well, that's probably one of the reasons for having it, it encourages more input from new posters. Reaching 20 posts shouldn't be hard to do on any forum really, but other than encouraging new users to post, I don't really see the point because they can still make an intro thread and reply to any thread they like. Also, being a conspiracy website, if there are ever people who want to disclose information to the members of ATS, chances are they wont already have an account here, and chances are they also wont make the 20 posts, instead they will say it in the intro thread - which will then probably get removed for breaking the rules.

posted on Nov, 14 2010 @ 06:43 AM
link   

Try posting in the off-topic forums. The conversation is a little more relaxed there.

Welcome to ATS, you only need 5 more posts.

posted on Nov, 14 2010 @ 07:00 AM
link   

Hey there and welcome to ATS ... I have to say that I am expecting great things from you after making such a stand about the 20 post rule ... if it has bugged you so much then you must have something exceptional to share with us ... I can barely contain myself.

Alternatively you may just have created a bit of a fuss for nothing and have succeeded in setting yourself up for a fall ... time will tell I suppose.

As for the rule in question it serves a simple purpose ... it is but one way to sort the 'wheat from the chaff' where new members are concerned insomuch that if they have nothing worth contributing ... or they only wish to contribute inane waffle and/or hoax material they tend to lose interest long before they have 20 posts and that saves us the inconvienience of having to sift through yet another 'I am an alien' thread (or similar).

So explanation made ... I look forward to your 'post-20 post posts' (if you catch my drift).

Woody

posted on Nov, 14 2010 @ 07:31 AM
link   
Yes, it is annoying . I want to make a thread soon and need a few more posts, so thought I would respond to you. Anyway look forward to reading your future posts.
Regards

posted on Nov, 14 2010 @ 07:34 AM
link   
Hi whatevername!

What Woody said!

Seriously--welcome to ATS! Looking forward to reading your threads--I always like to see what kind of conversations "shy types" instigate since I'm kinda shy myself. I'm new too and almost through with the initiation. It's taken me almost 2 weeks--but guess what? It has been a good experience. I've had to truly engage in the community--important, don't you think, in becoming part of a discussion group? I think the 20post rule discourages those who've just come to bloviate.

Anna

top topics

join