It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Do you actually know anybody who has won the lottery?

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 13 2010 @ 03:09 PM
link   
reply to post by Skyfloating

Who knows? Maybe the husband was a real shmuck and the wife was rewarded by life for leaving him. Its only your own prejudical perception that this is so very very very sad.

He's actually the salt of the earth type. Like I said, my husband has known him since childhood so we know him very well. Just one of those down to earth, give-you-the-shirt-off-his-back, small town family men types.

I dont see anything "very, very, very sad" in the woman deciding to go another way and winning the lottery.

That is not what makes it sad. Money is just money. What makes it sad is that 4 children were deserted by their mother. Now that she is in a situation to help them with their needs, she still wants nothing to do with them. After being abandoned by my father, I know how painful that is. It just breaks my heart for the children. It is said that there is nothing like a mother's love. Well, those children don't even have that. I especially feel bad for the disabled children who needed a mother more than anything.

It's just a sad situation and seems like the woman was rewarded for hurting everyone and being selfish. And yes, I will admit to feeling a sense of frustration for my husband's friend. That has got to sting. It would be like my husband leaving me and my son, going on to marry a swimsuit model and making millions.

Sure, I'd be better off without such a man but it would still sting. So I feel bad for my husband's friend. Come on. Your spouse abandons you and the four children, leaves you with two disabled kids, you barely make ends meet, and your ex goes on to win millions then blocks it from helping the children.

Yeah, I'd be pretty pissed off at the Cosmos for that one. lol

posted on Nov, 13 2010 @ 03:14 PM
link   
Yes I do, but it was many years ago. Some acquaintances of my ex-wife won the lottery, a little over a million if I recall correctly. They eventually wound up divorced with money problems and had become real jerks.

posted on Nov, 13 2010 @ 05:51 PM
link   
reply to post by Terces_Pot_Evoba

You sir are correct....

It's a stupid tax.... You're being taxed on your lack of brain power every time you buy a lottery ticket

posted on Nov, 13 2010 @ 06:07 PM
link   
One of my friends won £25,000 when we we in school...that was 14 years ago haha
Another friend of mine won £160,000 on the lottery, another friend won £200,000........i know quite a few lucky people lol.

posted on Nov, 13 2010 @ 07:06 PM
link   
My favorite rags to riches story:

Two homeless brothers living in a CAVE inherited 4 BILLION dollars from a relative.

This killed me!

Here's the story:

current.com...

posted on Nov, 13 2010 @ 11:35 PM
link   
I knew one guy. He ended up giving a lot of it away because it brought him hard ship

posted on Nov, 13 2010 @ 11:45 PM
link   
I'd just like to stand up and say that no, I've never known anyone who has won more than $1000 on a lottery ticket. Which, I have found hard to believe since I was about 18 years old. I am now 28 but around that age of 18 I started keeping track. I know a lot of people, I have a large family... and even larger friend base. I thought by now I'd be on easy street with a good pal or family member on Lottery Lane. But no, nothing, yet...

ONCE when I worked at Horton's, a welfare mother with six kids won $1000 on a coffee cup (roll up the rim). It made the owner of my store smile. Reptilian douche.

posted on Nov, 14 2010 @ 02:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by AshleyD
Come on. Your spouse abandons you and the four children, leaves you with two disabled kids, you barely make ends meet, and your ex goes on to win millions then blocks it from helping the children.

Im guilty of not having read your post properly, only the response to it

Sorry about the insensitive reply. Thats somewhat unfortunate. Not quite as devastating as you guys seem to think, but still rather unfortunate...admittedly.

posted on Nov, 14 2010 @ 02:26 PM
link   
I am absolutely sure that the lottery is a farce.

In my country they picked the same combination of numbers in two subsequent draws. It seemed that the guy who is responsible of picking the numbers had made a mistake and took the list with the combination of the previous draw. There was a big scandal but the media did their best to cover it up and the people easily forgot about it and they are still giving away their money.

Poor people! I hope the disclosure of what's really going on is coming soon.

edit on 14-11-2010 by ElevenFlint because: spelling

posted on Nov, 14 2010 @ 02:41 PM
link   
Yep my family won 6 million last year.

Since none of them know anything about finance, I'm pretty sure they will run out of money within 5 years.

Like some said earlier, it's mostly the stupid and the elderly that win lotto... and they waste that money.

Yeah I know it's my family, but I know clueless people when I see them.

posted on Nov, 14 2010 @ 02:56 PM
link   
My step-brother won $200,000US a few years back ... didn't even know he'd won until he was moving and cleaning out drawers one day. Checked the soon to expire ticket on a whim and Sure enough ... A winner.

He's admittedly since pissed a lot of it away seeking a 'dream' that'll never be, but he did purchase a new car and modest home/cabin with the remaining proceeds.

Other than that, No ... 't least none worthy a mention.

I did read an article the other day about a Canadian couple in their 70s who hit it big to the tune to $16-$18M or so...

They'd long since retired and were comfortably settled financially and otherwise ... simple folk.

Only kept $3-$4M to ensure family, friends, relatives and whatnot were well-taken care of and gave the rest to local hospitals, charities, fire depts., Red Cross, etc.

I felt that was a very generous and giving back to the Community consideration on their part.

posted on Nov, 14 2010 @ 05:03 PM
link   
Aside from the above post; I have to agree most people that win are the dumbest or oldest people around. I really sometimes wonder if that is really what convenience store/gas station etc cams are for. To let the lottery commission see who thhe dumbest and oldest purchasers are so they know what numbers to draw, I know for sure they know where and what time every number combination is played for it. The above post the people maybe didn't appear too smart or responsible, but then they were. Sometimes appearances can be decieving. But that's what I theorize it doesn't mean it's true. However, I find it hard to beleive anyone can be stupid enough to piss away 1 million, let alone double and triple digit millions...but that's just me, the lottery commission sure has picked some real good horses as far as pure retardness goes. Anyhow I theorize this because we've always played and we've never won... and we're the type to have taken the money and built a modest home on modest land, maybe buy some rent ready properties or rehab properties and rent them out, opem my own computer business, put a little away for each of my three children to have college funds, start a foundation of my own that would help probably autistic children as my friend has one, and the rest would be held aside for marriages of my children, houses for them, etc etc so that my children would know something I did not, what it is like to have parents that give a damn. See we thought it through long and hard, and we'd always make money from our money, and we must look the type too, as well, therefore we never get the BIG one, we did win 10,000 5,000 and 2,000 (PLUS a couple of times) and 1,000+ a couple of times and each and every time it went towards bills or a car as we had been backed up on the bills or we were out a car due to malfunction/and or damages... sigh... well at least it kept us from losing are rental and utilities, and provided transportation when we needed it. And also the closest that I know to anyone winning the lottery was a friend of ours lost a daughter to a drunk driver and sued and I think got millions because the person behind the wheel just happened to be a filthy rich drunk...but that's the closest thing to the lottery winners I ever knew. Cause I really don't know a lot of one foot in the grave old people or very many dumb people as I can't and won't associate with dumb people or anyone that I can't have an intelligent conversation with.

posted on Nov, 14 2010 @ 05:24 PM
link   
And here is the winner of idiot of the year award:
www.myfoxtampabay.com...

I leave you this little tidbit.

posted on Sep, 24 2015 @ 02:11 AM
link   
My uncle won the lottery. she plays different lotteries. Find information here australian-lotto-results.com...

posted on Sep, 24 2015 @ 03:28 AM
link   
Its not fabricated. I had a friend that won 22 million. He sold it for 12 million cash then spent it all on a stupid business ideas and is almost broke now.

posted on Sep, 24 2015 @ 03:56 AM
link   
a reply to: Terces_Pot_Evoba

Yes. One of my late Aunts. She was able to pay off the mortgage. Not much, but a whole lot for her. This was early 90s..

posted on Sep, 24 2015 @ 03:59 AM
link   
I won a small amount many years ago. I wasn't "old or dumb" either.

posted on Sep, 24 2015 @ 04:24 AM
link   
No, but I wish I was one of those winners! I could finally get into college without having to load up my future with student loan debt. I could even donate to some charities and conservation efforts more than I can now. It always seems like those who have money already or aren't good with managing money end up winning.

posted on Sep, 24 2015 @ 05:41 AM
link   
Years ago a guy who worked where I worked won $5 million.
He started coming to work all dressed up in fancy suits, until his accountant recommended he would be better off retiring.
He was already close to retirement age, and not a very nice man. No one was really happy for him.

There are some people who deserve something like this, and others... who you just think, why them?

posted on Sep, 24 2015 @ 05:52 AM
link   

originally posted by: SNAFU38
I do, they won twice.

To make things worse, they were already loaded.

I also know someone that won twice. They definitely weren't loaded though previously, the complete opposite. The person (lady) in question won several hundred thousand on each occasion and it caused her no end of grief with her family. She came from nothing, struggled by on her own (no help from family) and as soon as she won they were all over her. After buying a house (for her and her daughter) and a car, there was virtually nothing left so her family called her tight and all sorts of other things and have barely spoken to her since!

The moral therefore must surely be to be careful what you wish for!

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join