It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Ever Notice how the Constellations are Larger at the Horizon?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 13 2010 @ 12:02 AM
link   
For probably the last six years or so, I've been wondering why different celestial objects appear larger on the horizon than when they are at or around your zenith (the imaginary point directly above your head in the celestial sphere). Namely, the constellation Orion always looks enormous when he is on the horizon compared to when he is right above me. For a while, I thought it might have been due to some sort of phenomenon caused by the atmosphere. I really just was not sure. So, I looked it up.

Why Celestial Objects Look Larger at the Horizon.

I thought it was a pretty interesting small piece of information. I apologize that it does not deal with any sort of conspiracy, as this is a conspiracy website, but I felt it might strike a bit of interest in a few ATSer's. Any thoughts on this optical illusion?
edit on 11/13/2010 by philosearcher because: remove a line or two of text.

edit on 11/13/2010 by philosearcher because: potatoes!!

posted on Nov, 13 2010 @ 12:24 AM
link   
"The moon, like a testicle, hung low in the sky" Robin Williams

anyway, I'm no expert, and I'm sure (and hope) someone will correct me, but I believe it has to do with points of reference along the horizon, an or atmospheric distortion. Be sure the real answer is coming soon.

Peace

edit to add: sorry, I love that robin williams line, and it's tough to work into most conversations!
edit on 13-11-2010 by BadBoYeed because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 13 2010 @ 04:45 AM
link   
Nice thought! Seems like it's the same principle as the moon though, as the moon looks larger when near the horizon because you have reference points familiar to you on the ground (mountains, buildings etc..), but way up in the sky there no point of reference to determine scale, so it looks small in the vastness of the sky :-) ..would be interesting if there is some type of 'atmospherical lensing' happening, but that's just a random thought with no substance hehe

Peace ..v,

posted on Nov, 13 2010 @ 11:08 PM
link   
If there was atmospheric lensing, which I'm 99% sure we all know there probably isn't, that would probably change the way we look at the atmosphere quite a bit. I wonder how it would effect the study of the atmosphere? I'm thinking too much into that, however I always thought it was amazing how everything seemed so much larger. I want to try the little "experiment" with the cardboard or piece of paper where you measure it with the moon in the sky and then measure the moon on the horizon. Ah, optical illusions are awesome.

Had everyone else already knew that it was an optical illusion? I guess it's pretty easy to assume it would be, but I honestly cannot help but admit I feel a little naive.

posted on Nov, 13 2010 @ 11:23 PM
link   
I know the accepted reason is because when the moon/constellations are closer to the ground there's reference points like trees to judge the size, but even knowing that it still seems like there's more to it.

posted on Nov, 14 2010 @ 01:46 AM
link   
reply to post by Nventual

I agree. Maybe it is also at least partially why ancient's worshiped various celestial images as they did so commonly in past times. Due to their visibly apparent changing in size, I'd probably worship them too had I been alive back then. Really it's amazing, also...just for fun I think about the size of an airliner and how when it's on the horizon you can barely see it because it's so far away. Those constellations are just massive.
edit on 11/14/2010 by philosearcher because: Add some text-ish stuff.

posted on Nov, 14 2010 @ 10:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by philosearcher
If there was atmospheric lensing, which I'm 99% sure we all know there probably isn't, that would probably change the way we look at the atmosphere quite a bit. I wonder how it would effect the study of the atmosphere?
I thought maybe it was atmospheric lensing but there's a way to prove it isn't. Hold a dime at arms length and compare it to the size of the objects in the sky. If it was lensing the object would seem bigger relative to the dime when it's on the horizon, but it doesn't.

But it's a very powerful illusion, things really do look bigger on the horizon, I was surprised to find they aren't!

new topics

top topics

join