It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Audio Equipment gone haywire? Bizarre sounds with no source!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 12 2010 @ 11:04 PM
link   
Hi, I'd like to take a minute to ask my fellow ATS members about a sound I began hearing from my computer.

It started randomly this evening playing back through my speakers. It is giving me a chill, as it has yet to stop. I've tried resetting several audio settings, and yet it is still there. I have no windows open that were open at the time it began. It plays through any audio equipment attached to my PC. The pattern changes and it never sounds quite the same. I would like to see if it is recognizable by any here.

I am not sure, however, how to upload this sound file. As soon as I get a bit of help I will upload it.

Here is the sound file: What is it?
edit on 11-12-2010 by Loki because: Edited to link sound

posted on Nov, 12 2010 @ 11:09 PM
link   
Update: The sound has now stopped. I still have a 1 minute long .wav file of the sound. Any help is appreciated.

posted on Nov, 12 2010 @ 11:12 PM
link   
Electricity does weird things. You could have leakage in a circuit or a capacitor or something of the sort. I had speakers that would moan a couple of minutes after you turned them off. It scared the crap out of me until I figured it out. Being the nerd I am I took them apart and some of the parts had busted open and things were pretty nasty inside.

posted on Nov, 12 2010 @ 11:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by Loki
Update: The sound has now stopped. I still have a 1 minute long .wav file of the sound. Any help is appreciated.

You can try and upload it to MediaFire which is a file hosting service.

MediaFire

and then edit your post to link the url?!

posted on Nov, 12 2010 @ 11:16 PM
link   
what eqpt is active when you hear this? what cables are you using and might the wires be exposed? are you sure its not feedback? could you perhaps be using a reverb and delay config? are you recording live or is everything programmed i.e. analog or digital set up? is your eqpt exposed to any EM? how old is your oldest piece? could it be a problem with your monitors? if you have a spectral graph, are their fluctuations in the signal?
edit on 12-11-2010 by asperetty because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 12 2010 @ 11:16 PM
link   
reply to post by Loki

Download a free program called Format Factory. With this program you can convert the .wav file to any number of video file formats. I would convert it to mpeg.Then upload the video to youtube. You need an account. If you don't have one, signup only takes a minute. Once the video is on youtube you can link it on ATS.

posted on Nov, 12 2010 @ 11:17 PM
link   
reply to post by Loki

Look at the rules and regulations by the f.c.c.

These devices comply with Part 15 of the FCC Rules

Operation is subject to the following conditions:

The devices may not cause harmful interference, and

The devices must accept any interference received, including interference that may cause undesired operation

www.i-spec.com...

posted on Nov, 12 2010 @ 11:18 PM
link   
Alright I've uploaded it. Please check out the link.

posted on Nov, 12 2010 @ 11:20 PM
link   
reply to post by asperetty

I have 2 roland speaker cabs, which are a bit aged, now that you mention it. At the time I had no audio equipment plugged in other than those. The sound persisted so I tried my headphones plugged into the front panel of my PC, which is a different input from the back. The sound was still there.

posted on Nov, 12 2010 @ 11:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by Loki

I have 2 roland speaker cabs, which are a bit aged, now that you mention it. At the time I had no audio equipment plugged in other than those. The sound persisted so I tried my headphones plugged into the front panel of my PC, which is a different input from the back. The sound was still there.

yeah that may be a source. what are you plugging into? DI box? maybe you need to lift the ground? or it might a faulty input?

posted on Nov, 12 2010 @ 11:27 PM
link   

Directly into the Motherboard.

posted on Nov, 12 2010 @ 11:29 PM
link   
reply to post by Loki

which daw are you using? ive heard similar clicks like this when i worked on an 02R with protools. it would have to be something with your routing if anything. the fact that the signal seems to fluctuate randomly though is unusual. are you sure theres no other external sound? it could be coming from the motherboard itself.

EDIT:'

its pretty cool. sounds like a rain stick. mind if i take this and do some sampling lol?

EDIT 2:

if you listen to seconds 23-28 theres a sound like a shaking or pumping that could be made into a rhythm for sure. i suggest using this!

posted on Nov, 12 2010 @ 11:33 PM
link   
It's very interesting indeed. This thread immediately* made me think of Ondine's Curse by the Gunsling Birds.

Apparently a piece of audio equipment they were working with in the studio went insane and started making all kinds of bizarre "music" all by itself.

Check it out! www.gunslingbirds.com... but maybe don't listen to it by yourself late at night.

As far as your sound, it sounds like RFI/EFI or perhaps a side effect of a grounding problem or a marginal component of sorts?

Owning my own recording studio I've sometimes found extremely odd things happen due to radio interference or other interferences. Check cables and make sure everything is plugged in securely.

Good luck!

edit on 12-11-2010 by aliensporebomb because: formatting munged....

posted on Nov, 12 2010 @ 11:37 PM
link   
Sounds slightly like the gain from a microphone picking up itself, but with not enough volume to reverb entirely.

Definitely doesn't sound like typical electric noise, static or internal emf.

You say it still happened when you plugged your headphones in but didn't unplug your speakers..

Is there a possibility that you've set your audio config to 5.1 /7.1 and it's reset to 2.0 causing one of the speakers to act as a microphone? Have you checked your recording devices to see if it's set to "listen" which will send any input to the speakers?

I'm not too up to scratch with the audio these days where inputs can be outputs and all that, I still have 2.0 lol, but it's a thought..

posted on Nov, 13 2010 @ 12:19 AM
link   
reply to post by aliensporebomb

Apparently a piece of audio equipment they were working with in the studio went insane and started making all kinds of bizarre "music" all by itself. Check it out! www.gunslingbirds.com... but maybe don't listen to it by yourself late at night.

I listened to it,

That deserves its own thread, it is seriously creepy!

posted on Nov, 13 2010 @ 08:56 AM
link   
Hi, I'm fairly familiar with problematic cable sounds and stuff, but this is a new one on me. Nice work capturing it, it's odd! Sounds like someone is walking around in your computer and kicking gravel about

There's a noise at 9 seconds, which sounds like a microphone being moved, so as badw0lf says maybe you've just got the speakers at the back connected into the mic or line in port by accident. Line-in can sometimes create some strange noises.

Still, hope you figure it out! Good job for capturing it - S&F!
edit on 13-11-2010 by markymint because: ess and eff

top topics

join