It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Stone age etchings found in Amazon basin as river levels fall

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 10 2010 @ 09:26 PM
link   

Drought brings rarities

Tide has raised engravings made for at least 7000 years found in rocks on the river Negro, in the 'area of the slabs'

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/aee984a5c175.jpg[/atsimg]

Among the finds is a stone taken by faces. Among the faces were highlights of an impish boy. Images can be seen better at night because the moon's reflection (Photo: Walter Calhoun / Free lancer)

A rare archaeological discovery was near the river Negro, in Manaus, thanks to extremely low water this year: rock carvings in the rocks located near the meeting of the waters. The site is known as "area of slabs" and belongs to the Union Among the drawings is a series of human faces etched in stone located on the riverside. It was also possible to identify geometric shapes, spirals and serpentine designs snakelike.

Just saw this article and thought I'd share it here with the ATS Community.

What intrigues me the most ofcourse are the faces carved into the slab rock, but also how you can see the image better with the moon's reflection. A good discovery that probably wouldn't of been discovered for awhile if it wasn't for the drought.

I'd hope more is discovered in the area.

Here's the link to the source.
And also here's the link to Google Translate

edit on 10-11-2010 by Oozii because: Add Source/Fix Text

posted on Nov, 10 2010 @ 09:31 PM
link   
How do they know the carvings are from the stone age?
edit on 11/10/10 by OnceReturned because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 10 2010 @ 09:32 PM
link   
very neat, the third face from the left is actually quite good for an etching...

posted on Nov, 10 2010 @ 09:40 PM
link   
reply to post by OnceReturned

Biologist Elisa Wandel stressed that the discovery is unprecedented, because the parts most commonly found in the area are pottery and urns, objects that are part of the "Period Breakwater", which comprises the 9th century AD "These are inscriptions on stone, in the form of prints, not paintings. It can be a form of social communication. But that only archaeologists can tell, "he noted.

I guess from past discoveries of pottery and urns in the area which were from the 9th century.

posted on Nov, 10 2010 @ 10:41 PM
link   
reply to post by Oozii

That's not when the stone age was.

posted on Nov, 10 2010 @ 11:49 PM
link   

You're right. (I think)

9th Century is around 800 BC, and Stone Age is way farther back. I do know that the Stone Age has different periods, Paleolithic Period, Mesolithic Period, and Neolithic Period.

It confuses me a bit, which I am ashamed of, but I'm learning.

posted on Nov, 11 2010 @ 09:18 AM
link   

Originally posted by Oozii

You're right. (I think)

9th Century is around 800 BC, and Stone Age is way farther back. I do know that the Stone Age has different periods, Paleolithic Period, Mesolithic Period, and Neolithic Period.

It confuses me a bit, which I am ashamed of, but I'm learning.

The 9th century was in 800AD.

Just wanted to correct your dating there.

posted on Nov, 11 2010 @ 09:22 AM
link   
Regardless of time period, what a FASCINATING find! Oh the glory to be able to gaze upon the ancient past like this! Those faces are so compelling. Thank you for sharing this.

posted on Nov, 11 2010 @ 09:22 AM
link   
reply to post by Oozii

no shame in learning ; )

posted on Nov, 11 2010 @ 06:52 PM
link   
Thanks for those who replied. I'm glad some found this interesting

I hope more are discovered, but not at the cost of the people losing water. That's the bad part of it.

new topics

top topics

join