It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Did we find a real piece of Kryptonite from an alien world out walking our dog???

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 10 2010 @ 06:16 PM
link   
reply to post by the.lights

TBH looks like a smashed jelly bean

posted on Nov, 10 2010 @ 06:16 PM
link   
Looks like it has already been identified as terrestrial in origin, but I must say - that is one beautiful stone. Seriously a nice find. It has a great, organic shape to it as well - you can buy/make a small stand and it would look really nice just how it is, methinks.

posted on Nov, 10 2010 @ 06:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by Blarneystoner
Dutchboy has it right~ It's just a nice example of Carnelian Agate... Agate is the micro-crystaline form of Silica. AKA: Chalcedony. Great find though! Would make some nice cabochons.

Agate can be found in many forms... Agate - Wiki

Carnelian Agate can be found in colors ranging from Dark red, orange, yellow.. get's it's name from the color resemblance to raw meat. Carnelian - Wiki

Great rock... wish I had found it!

And everyone knows that Kryptonite is Green!!

edit on 10-11-2010 by Blarneystoner because: (no reason given)

Blarneystoner nailed it!

It definitely does resemble raw meat eh?
Niice find!!
My sister is a geologist and would love to have found this!

Besides..
if it fell from the sky..
it would be embedded into the ground, at least partially. ..
not just sitting there for you to pick up. lol

posted on Nov, 10 2010 @ 07:52 PM
link   
Thanks for the replies. It's really great to see interest in this and possible theories and terrestrial explanations. I'm moving more toward these but am still not completely convinced. The reason being, I need to see a photo of one very similar or exactly the same, of earthly origin, to be pretty sure. You see, somewhere out there, rocks are floating through space, ejected by massive collisions on planetary bodies. Space is vast but somewhere at some time, chunks of ancient planetary rock from one planet must fall on another planet. And they found a space rock from Mars in Antarctica back in 1984 that they believe held tantalising biogenic features;

en.wikipedia.org...

So, here are some close up pictures of my rock that shows it in much better detail and showing the red filaments and blobs that do appear, on close inspection, to be quite biological looking. I will get more up soon taken in daylight with hopefully even better detail (macro) and hopefully try and get a picture of the corkscrew worm-shaped object in the rock. Would be keen to hear your thoughts;

posted on Nov, 10 2010 @ 08:17 PM
link   
interesting but still looks very much like a chunk of himalayan to me, the pink, red, rust veins are associated with mineral content like iron and appears it has been washed/smoothed in some way and possibly even absorbed moisture(looks similar to smoothness and shine to a small chunk I had used as under arm deoderant at one time-haha, read it about somewhere) -ex. can leave these in shower area or high humidity room and will fully saturate and stay that way a while (did'nt you say you washed off?), also can be used as a non fogging window/mirror agent, do admit the "cork screw" thing looks odd though like the backbonish section of a fossilized alien lungs/upper torso area??- go ahead giver a taste(lol)

edit on 10-11-2010 by Rustami because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 10 2010 @ 08:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by the.lights
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/67494a016766.jpg[/atsimg]

Looks like Himalayan rock salt to me.
second

posted on Nov, 10 2010 @ 09:49 PM
link   

That's common Calcite. Hang on to it though as it has some value. I am qualified by the way. I was a Geology Major and I've been collecting mineral specimens for over 40 years.

Pretty stuff.

Halite or salt as mentioned above is a possibility, but I still think from the photo it is Calcite. Will it scratch with your fingernail?
edit on 11/10/2010 by Blaine91555 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 10 2010 @ 09:54 PM
link   
The more I look at it, the more I think it might be Halite from a salt lick. Any Cattle in the area or Horses? Sorry for the confusion but it's not easy with just a photo. Me, I'd lick it to find out, but I won't recommend that to you. I'm an old Rockhound / Prospector.

posted on Nov, 10 2010 @ 10:04 PM
link   
reply to post by Blaine91555

For some reason Lidl, the really cheap European supermarket sells salt licks for horses, they even sell them in the one I go to in the middle of London, I don't think theres a horse for 20 miles.

Not sure if they look like that though

posted on Nov, 10 2010 @ 10:09 PM
link   
Definitely looks like something from the quartz family. If you don't have a local geologist to consult, check a local university. Keep us posted! It's a very beautiful specimen though.

posted on Nov, 11 2010 @ 12:39 AM
link   
Green Kryptonite OK but if was red then watch out.... Holy Molie

posted on Nov, 11 2010 @ 04:19 AM
link   
I'm not sure if anyone has suggested this yet, but you need to go back to that same spot, or that entire area and just walk around with your dog or whatever.. try to find a rock like you have already found. Kick some leaves around, move some dead trees, actually look. See if you can find more.

If you can't find anything, then in my eyes you've found something unique. It's a broken shard of a bigger piece so that means there should be something similar near it. Unless it was placed there (or fell from somewhere).

Btw, how heavy is it? Maybe compare it to something or actually weigh it.
Also if you could share your approx area so we can look up what sort of rocks are common/rare there.
edit on 11-11-2010 by MurrayTORONTO because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 11 2010 @ 04:27 AM
link   
It really does look like some kind of quartz - and to be found just lying around, it's a fairly impressive sample!

Why don't you take it to the geology department of your nearest university? They'd love to have a look at it and they'd be more qualified to say what it is than us bunch of nutters

posted on Nov, 11 2010 @ 04:31 AM
link   
Whether or not that rock you've found is actual red alien Kryptonite, it's absolutely incredible that it has the power to walk your dog!

posted on Nov, 11 2010 @ 06:19 AM
link   
Hi, I see there is a consensus forming that the mineral is Agate or Carnelian, but I've did a search in google for - "Vale of Glamorgan" pink calcite - and found this pdf document written by the South Wales Geologist Association
If you look at page 2 of the pdf and read the paragraph titled Locality 4. there is a description of a mineral called BARYTE. If you take a look at the link and imagine it weathered smooth it would be a closer match than Agate or Carnelian, and considering Baryte is naturally forming in your area, it could be another possibility.

It may be worth getting in touch with the South Wales Geologist Association (www.swga.org.uk...) and see if they can help you.

P.S. It may also be worth noting that the 5cm Baryte crystal in the above link (BARYTE) is worth 120 euros. Your's looked bigger from the photos.
edit on 11/11/2010 by SciFiSi because: Added the P.S. at the end.

edit on 11/11/2010 by SciFiSi because: Spelling correction

edit on 11/11/2010 by SciFiSi because: Another correction of my spelling!

posted on Nov, 11 2010 @ 06:51 AM
link   
If the OP will do a scratch test and report the result it would help w/the ID.

About.com: Chemistry

BTW - Carnelian is Agate.

Calcite is normally a 2.5 on the MOHS scale and is much softer than Agate.

posted on Nov, 11 2010 @ 07:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by the.lights
Haha! Thanks!

I'm intrigued enough to take it to a crystal shop or the local university geology dept.

But, I have to say, the red/orange/rust bits, wormy filament and bubbles have me intrigued...

And I'm not going to go licking it!! LOL

If it feels 'waxy' to the touch then it is most likely calcite ... calcite comes in quite an array of colours (including that in the pictures that you added).

As for the 'inclusions' that you mention ... all minerals/rocks have these to different degrees ... in fact it is more unusual to find one without any ... it is these inclusions that are sometimes responsible for the colour in fact.

So whilst the rock itself is nothing 'out of this world' I do find it intriguing that you found such a large specimen just lying in the middle of the path whilst walking your dog ... a piece that size would be quite expensive to buy from a crystal shop.

Nice find (wish I found that kind of thing when I'm walking the dog lol) ... but not extraterrestrial.

Maybe you could add a few pics of the site you found this ... just for perspective.

Woody

posted on Nov, 11 2010 @ 07:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by Blaine91555

Will it scratch with your fingernail?
edit on 11/10/2010 by Blaine91555 because: (no reason given)

Nope. Tried that just now. It's rock solid!

posted on Nov, 11 2010 @ 07:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by Blaine91555
The more I look at it, the more I think it might be Halite from a salt lick. Any Cattle in the area or Horses? Sorry for the confusion but it's not easy with just a photo. Me, I'd lick it to find out, but I won't recommend that to you. I'm an old Rockhound / Prospector.

Yep I would go with a salt lick.

posted on Nov, 11 2010 @ 08:01 AM
link   

Seriously your going to have to lick it, just to satisfy everyones curiosity

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join