It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What is the most practical form of martial arts to know for...

page: 5
<< 2  3  4   >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 9 2010 @ 12:14 PM
link   
reply to post by pexx421

The whole point of juijitsu is to be able to subdue a larger more powerful attacker. I am an instructor at a Tae Kwon Do school that also teaches Judo and Grappling and in our school we have young 13 year old boys (similar to an adult female in size and strength) who tap out 6 ft 250lbs men so it in fact is not nonsense that she could acomplish the same with the right attitude and dedication which I have found comes easily when the student has had a real life attack.
edit on 9-11-2010 by takemetourleader because: Not what I intended

posted on Nov, 9 2010 @ 12:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by Peter Brake
reply to post by SFlowers

Aikido, translated means, love, spiritual energy way. It doesn't require phsical strength, mostly if you tightened a muscle you have done the technique incorrectly. Their is no punches or kicks, a normal result would be pinning the attacker, again without strength.

If not this then another could be Judo, which woul make good use of those strong legs, this in Japan is considered the gentle way. The attacker is put on the ground and pinned.

The limitation of both of these is in multiple attacks - hard to hold someone down when another is hitting you. These both are very good for confidence, balance and self protection. Much energy is spent learning how to fall and roll well.

Aikido would be perfect for you.Watch Steven Seagal movies for a taste. It is about utilising the opponents body against them by leverage and subtle movement, not strength. BUT it would pay to increase your upper body strength anyway. This can be done in a lot of ways without bulking you up (thats a falacy anyway, most women couldn't put on lots of muscle even if they wanted to). My advice would be pilates to strengthen and lenghten muscle (improves posture and core muscles too) combined with aikido.

posted on Nov, 9 2010 @ 02:18 PM
link   

I've only read about half of the first page, but I have to say right off, that if you have a specific, credible threat, then get a restraining order and a shotgun!

Martial Arts are great, but they aren't like the movies. I have trained in several forms, and I have been in a lot of tournaments, and a lot of street fights, and the two are entirely different. It would take you years and years to master any martial art well enough to be useful against a bigger stronger man, and even then you would have to be flawless in your execution, because if he gets his meathooks on you, then you are in big trouble. PLUS...what if he is trained also? AND....what if he fully intends to harm you without any second thoughts, but you are worried about putting him in a coma or killing him?

Fights are always won by the person most motivated and willing to fight! I have won a lot and lost a few, and it has always boiled down to someone actually wanting to do major harm vs. someone just wanting to fight.

Lose your conscience, plan to do whatever is necessary up to and including killing this person. Do not give it a second thought! Go buy a real equalizer in the form of a slick pistol or cute shotgun. You can learn 90% of what you need to know in a week, instead of years to learn martial arts. You can also be certain that it will be effective both as a deterrent and as a real weapon.

If I were your stalker, and I found out you were taking martial arts, it would not mean a thing, but if I found out you were packing a pistol and keeping a shotgun by the door, then I might think twice! If I found out you had taken a self-defense handgun course, I would give it a 3rd and 4th thought, and if I found out you were at the range every week moving some serious lead, I would probably choose another victim!

posted on Nov, 9 2010 @ 02:30 PM
link   
reply to post by getreadyalready

Let me add that a .380 Beretta, or even a cheap .380 Bersa is a real good, real slick, real accurate, and easy to use gun for a woman. I do not recommend most .22 or .25 as they typically jam, are cheaply made, and have little stopping power. They can still be deadly, but you need them to stop the person quickly.

Let me also add that it is a little harder to find a decent small guage shotgun that is trimmed down for self defense use. I have a double-pistol grip Mossberg 12 guage with a 500,000 candlepower xenon light and a thumb switch. That bright light in a dark room hurts almost as much as the bullets! BUT, for a woman, I would recommend a 20 guage or a 410 with a short barrel and pistol/grip folding stock. I don't know what the gun laws are in your state, but the folding stock is legal just about everywhere. The barrel length is where you should be careful of the law.

DO NOT TRUST MACE OR AN OVER-THE-COUNTER TASER!!
I have tested just about every form of mace short of riot cannister tear gas, and they are not very effective. My buddies and I have tested and decided that mace would not overcome adrenalin, and would probably wind up hurting you more than the attacker. I have been tasered with a couple of different over the counter types (no police ones, thankfully) and tasers hurt a lot, but only while they contact you. It would be very, very easy to overpower someone tasering me. It is difficult to maintain contact with the person when they flinch and squirm and as soon as the shock is removed they would surely tackle you to prevent you from tasering them again. As a matter of fact that is exactly what occured on our first test. We bought a taser, walked out and tasered an unsuspecting mechanic. He freaked out, jerked free, and attacked. We tried to tazer him some more, but it was too late, and the fight was on. Later we all took turns tasering one another to his satisfaction.

GET A REAL GUN, AND SOME GUN TRAINING!
edit on 9-11-2010 by getreadyalready because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 9 2010 @ 02:35 PM
link   
reply to post by getreadyalready

I love my .380 but I have to tell you when I first got it it jammed on a regular basis! It needed much breaking in and constant (constant like after five or ten rounds) of cleaning to keep from jamming. Now that I have it well oiled and well broken in it only requires cleaning after a day's worth of target practice or skeet shooting.

posted on Nov, 9 2010 @ 02:47 PM
link   
reply to post by SeenMyShare

Good Point. I have run into that before on other guns. My current .380 was already well broken in when I got it.

It is important to clean a gun after every range day, and it is important to keep ammo "fresh." If any of my guns sit for several months without firing, I throw away the ammo and replace it. I think sometimes a gun jams because the powder has gotten old. This will also mess with accuracy and efficacy.

Guns are almost impossible to wear out, but I recommend everyone give it their best! The more often you shoot it, the better it will shoot, and the better you will shoot!

posted on Nov, 9 2010 @ 03:01 PM
link   

I would go with either TaeKwonDo or Okinawan Kenpo. Kenpo if I had to choose between the two. It gives a good mix of hands and feet attack, as well as some weapons training.

posted on Nov, 9 2010 @ 03:16 PM
link   
The secret martial art that topless dancers use to remove men's hands from their body is the most effective defensive art I have ever seen.

posted on Nov, 9 2010 @ 06:29 PM
link   
I'm sorry, but I don't agree with this.

I might agree if you had used one of those styles with something else that compliments it like wrestling, judo, or ground fighting like jiu jitsu, but you basically just suggested two exotic striking styles...

As someone who doesn't study martial arts, but lives them, I'm sorry, but in a real world situation, these two don't cut it.

Originally posted by phantomjack

I would go with either TaeKwonDo or Okinawan Kenpo. Kenpo if I had to choose between the two. It gives a good mix of hands and feet attack, as well as some weapons training.

posted on Nov, 9 2010 @ 08:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by getreadyalready

I've only read about half of the first page, but I have to say right off, that if you have a specific, credible threat, then get a restraining order and a shotgun!

Martial Arts are great, but they aren't like the movies. I have trained in several forms, and I have been in a lot of tournaments, and a lot of street fights, and the two are entirely different. It would take you years and years to master any martial art well enough to be useful against a bigger stronger man, and even then you would have to be flawless in your execution, because if he gets his meathooks on you, then you are in big trouble. PLUS...what if he is trained also? AND....what if he fully intends to harm you without any second thoughts, but you are worried about putting him in a coma or killing him?

Fights are always won by the person most motivated and willing to fight! I have won a lot and lost a few, and it has always boiled down to someone actually wanting to do major harm vs. someone just wanting to fight.

Lose your conscience, plan to do whatever is necessary up to and including killing this person. Do not give it a second thought! Go buy a real equalizer in the form of a slick pistol or cute shotgun. You can learn 90% of what you need to know in a week, instead of years to learn martial arts. You can also be certain that it will be effective both as a deterrent and as a real weapon.

If I were your stalker, and I found out you were taking martial arts, it would not mean a thing, but if I found out you were packing a pistol and keeping a shotgun by the door, then I might think twice! If I found out you had taken a self-defense handgun course, I would give it a 3rd and 4th thought, and if I found out you were at the range every week moving some serious lead, I would probably choose another victim!

Ditto: instant lead poisoning beats anything a human body can inflict. People who think they are so well trained in the "Martial" arts will lose their asses in a gun fight with a competent gunner. Despite what the plebes have seen in the movies, a competent gunner will toast a Tai Kwondo or other "master" every time. No human being can react fast enough to beat a bullet. Sorry to all you Martial Arts enthusiasts, but you are dead if you go up against an even modestly competent gunner.

posted on Nov, 9 2010 @ 08:03 PM
link   
The most practical form? Learn to use a handgun or rifle proficiently. That is a martial art too.

posted on Nov, 12 2010 @ 02:18 PM
link   

Hey Flowers,

Mostly I would disregard joining any particular style at this point in time seeing as you seem to be in immediate danger. Alot of the things mentioned require fine motor skills and thus a few years of learning, which you don't have time for.

This is what I would recommend.

1. Get some mace and/or a gun. Be aware mace will have little effect on about 5% of people, bullets work on everyone.
2. Martial arts are tricks you use to get to your weapons.
3. You can hit hard with your upper body, if you took a baseball and threw it into my face as hard as you can at close range, it would hurt me. This is what your fist does, it has hard bones in it. However you should practice palm strikes (google it) as you will not damage your hands and can learn to strike hard and repeatedly in a short space of time.
4. Straight kick, this is achieved by pointing your knee at your target and then firing your foot out in that direction. Similar to stamping on the end of a stride. Practise it a few times and it will get powerful. Targets are the knee and the groin.
5. Go to a krav maga school and learn their 360 strike defence and their straight strike defence as well as their basic choke escapes. This will take a few hours maximum.

This wont take you more than a week to learn and this is how it will go down.

1. Mace/bullets ends the situation.

2. Cannot retrieve weapon in time.
Defend against strike, simultaneous palm to jaw or nose or neck, just throw hard for the jaw and you'll probably hit where you need to. Hit multiple times if you have the chance or if you miss.
Straight kick to the knee or groin.
Separate and get to your weapon.
Use your weapon.

This is hands down the fastest way to take someone out without too much technical training. You can learn in a few hours how to take most people out, it's not hard. Just put the little bit of practice in. It sounds serious hun, my thoughts are with you!

posted on Nov, 17 2010 @ 09:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by SFlowers
Sorry if this is a repeat, I searched and didn't find anything....

I've read a little bit of the 'What do you consider as the best martial art in the world' thread, but my question is more specific. I'd like to know what, in your opinion, the best form of martial arts for a young female with little upper body strength but very strong legs to learn that would help her get out of a genuine life-or-death situation without causing any extreme or lasting damage to her attackers?

I'm looking for something that you can learn quickly that focuses more on self-defense, and is good to know if someone that was very dangerous dangerous, say, came to your apartment and tried to kill or hurt you or your family.

Thanks in advance

Edit: Okay I just want to clear one thing up, to all the people that say causing extreme damage should be my priority, I know THAT. I am a pacifist and while I don't LIKE to hurt people, if this guy shows up at my door I know full well that he would really mess me up or kill me (I know someone who has had to have facial reconstructive surgery because of this man), so I'm totally willing to completely wreck him if need be.

I ment "extreme or lasting damage" to mean that I want to avoid putting him in a coma or damaging him in such a way that he would be in a wheelchair for the rest of his life, stuff like that.
edit on 11/8/2010 by SFlowers because:

You postulated "a genuine life-or-death situation " with your life on the line.

Kill the b@stard if he attacks. There is nothing you can learn in a week that will save your life. That means get a gun. You want to live? Then "Live and let die" Get a gun and learn to shoot it. Not talking Anny Oakley here, just the basics. Like don't show the weapon until you are committed to firing it.

You say this person has already disfigured someone else; do you want that to happen to you?

Kill the slimeball if you have to. He sounds like a real POS.

Protect yourself!!!

posted on Nov, 18 2010 @ 03:05 PM
link   
for me, capoeira and judo work. Give me a straight razor and I'm whirling death - kick you, throw you, slit your throat...

posted on Nov, 19 2010 @ 11:09 AM
link   

Originally posted by mydarkpassenger

Originally posted by SFlowers
Sorry if this is a repeat, I searched and didn't find anything....

I've read a little bit of the 'What do you consider as the best martial art in the world' thread, but my question is more specific. I'd like to know what, in your opinion, the best form of martial arts for a young female with little upper body strength but very strong legs to learn that would help her get out of a genuine life-or-death situation without causing any extreme or lasting damage to her attackers?

I'm looking for something that you can learn quickly that focuses more on self-defense, and is good to know if someone that was very dangerous dangerous, say, came to your apartment and tried to kill or hurt you or your family.

Thanks in advance

Edit: Okay I just want to clear one thing up, to all the people that say causing extreme damage should be my priority, I know THAT. I am a pacifist and while I don't LIKE to hurt people, if this guy shows up at my door I know full well that he would really mess me up or kill me (I know someone who has had to have facial reconstructive surgery because of this man), so I'm totally willing to completely wreck him if need be.

I ment "extreme or lasting damage" to mean that I want to avoid putting him in a coma or damaging him in such a way that he would be in a wheelchair for the rest of his life, stuff like that.
edit on 11/8/2010 by SFlowers because:

You postulated "a genuine life-or-death situation " with your life on the line.

Kill the b@stard if he attacks. There is nothing you can learn in a week that will save your life. That means get a gun. You want to live? Then "Live and let die" Get a gun and learn to shoot it. Not talking Anny Oakley here, just the basics. Like don't show the weapon until you are committed to firing it.

You say this person has already disfigured someone else; do you want that to happen to you?

Kill the slimeball if you have to. He sounds like a real POS.

Protect yourself!!!

It also helps to reply back to the thread you started.

posted on Nov, 19 2010 @ 11:11 AM
link   
by limiting yourself to a single martial art you have limited your abilities

try to be well rounded, take in skill from all martial arts and in a real combat scenario use your enviroment and suroundings as weapons

posted on Nov, 19 2010 @ 12:57 PM
link   
reply to post by mydarkpassenger

Maybe we were too late?

The story had holes anyway. Why would you be worried about injuring someone that has already disfigured another person and intends to harm you?

Why would a small-frame person or woman want to decide to learn martial arts, but not too much?

GET A GUN, and GET A RESTRAINING ORDER! If it isn't too late.

posted on Nov, 19 2010 @ 01:37 PM
link   

The best martial skill you can learn in a SHTF scenario....is how to HIDE and be SILENT....

Then you'll never have to use any of the other martial arts....

posted on Nov, 21 2010 @ 11:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by getreadyalready
reply to post by mydarkpassenger

Maybe we were too late?

The story had holes anyway. Why would you be worried about injuring someone that has already disfigured another person and intends to harm you?

Why would a small-frame person or woman want to decide to learn martial arts, but not too much?

GET A GUN, and GET A RESTRAINING ORDER! If it isn't too late.

Yeah Getready - I bet you are right. It just kills me hearing about a woman being threatened; guess I'm pretty caveman that way. I'm the youngest of 10 kids and at one time or another I've had to go after numerous husbands and boyfriends of my older sisters.

Any man who would hurt a woman is a lousy POS, and needs a baseball bat applied to his skull.

posted on Nov, 21 2010 @ 06:03 PM
link   
My fiance is small in stature and skiny as a leaf.

Often she works night shifts in areas that are slightly dodgy, and I can not be there 100% of the time,

She did not wan't to spend years learning a martial art in order to feel confident to protect herself should she need to.

In response to this I bought her some pepper spray, but really that's not enough.

We took the approach of learning a few nasty techniques, and training them to competence.

In this vein we started scouring the web for CQB techniques taught quickly to soldiers going off to war

We found a PDF called 'Kill or Get Killed', a marine core instructional manual.

We have been learning the techniques found in that PDF and a few others.

Simple, easy to learn, deadly.

We are not experts by any account, but my fiance feels a little better knowing what she know nows, and if anyone has a go at her, and she pulls of what we have trained, woe to them. She can now snap someones neck without breaking her stride...in theory offcourse.

If you dont want to spend your life training, we think it's better to know a few things well and above standard, that a lot of things at standard or below standard.

Hope this helps.

<< 2  3  4   >>

join