It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Thousands protest in Seoul before G20 summit

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 7 2010 @ 12:10 PM
link   

Thousands protest in Seoul before G20 summit

www.reuters.com

South Korea is concerned about the risk of violent anti-capitalist protests -- a common feature of summits involving the world's leading economies -- and anxious its rival North Korea may try to stage an incident to embarrass it.

South Korea armed forces are on a "Level 3" alert, the highest level, and some 50,000 police -- more than one-third of the national force -- launched increased patrols from Saturday.

Sunday's protest, involving between 20,000 and 40,000 protesters, was seen as a test
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Nov, 7 2010 @ 12:10 PM
link   
The G20 protests never get enough attention aswell as the G20 itself.

this time they seem to be on extra high alert and most peoples focus is not on south korea right now that whats make me think something big may happen there. we have all of these warnings from german and other little big skirmishes all over but the Koreas have been somewhat quiet lately?

whats your take on this G20 meeting? is there imminent danger of attack by North Korea or China or some undetermined group to be decided later?

www.reuters.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Nov, 7 2010 @ 12:30 PM
link   
this sounds like the largest g20 protest ever and i am glad to hear that but as you said what does this mean for conflict..... there is so much going on in this that it is really hard to point out what the real threat/problem is with so many possibile hands in the cookie jar atm..

added this content also in edit sryyy ....but i just noticed the g20 has had 2 other events in korea this year ..?
edit on 7-11-2010 by j4k312 because: added above

posted on Nov, 7 2010 @ 12:42 PM
link   
Well, this should be interesting to watch unfold!! If this particular protest (largest ever? Let's hope so) can make a difference, make people sit up and take notice, then that is a GREAT thing. However, the possibility for backlash is overwhelming to say the least. There are virtually limitless possibilities for TPTB to "make an example of" such a protest!

Thank you for bringing this to our attention, S&F!

edit on 7-11-2010 by IrishCream because: grammar

posted on Nov, 7 2010 @ 01:37 PM
link   
I wonder how many peoples basic human right will be trampled upon just because of being present at the protest.

posted on Nov, 7 2010 @ 02:18 PM
link   
allot of people claim north Korea aren't to much of a threat having nukes as they don't have the capabilities to send them far. what about this event though all of Kim's enemy in one place and its right on his door step. if he did want to go with a bang this would be the time to do it. not like he'd be worried about his own people.
I'm not saying its gonna happen but but its a possibility even if its an unlikely one.

regardless of that i feel for all the poor innocent people that will have to put up with this farce. as we've seen before

posted on Nov, 7 2010 @ 02:22 PM
link   
You know they ramped this crap up during the PGH g20 protest to?

They said 40 to 60,000 people would be there protesting, there was less than a few thousand if that..

So I wouldnt put to much thought into what these news people have to say.. cause they are just trying to spread fear where it isnt needed..

Yes I know about the g20 protest in pgh I live here and was there.. although I missed the fireworks both nights.. Ugie got some good shots thought you guys should check out his threads..

posted on Nov, 7 2010 @ 02:32 PM
link   
its hard for me to imagine just how & why the S. Korean people have any viewpoint one way or another
on the G-20.

the G-20 is emeshed in trade and monetary systems to keep the current system working (to the advantage
of the elites)...
there are rebel rousers there instigating the unconcerned citizens, for their own means & purposes.

i wouldn't be surprised if there weren't int'l mega corps inciting the violent protests just to get
the host nations to enforce draconian laws and police actions...that may eventually carry over to normal
time activities---i.e. when meetings by the G-20, or NATO, or WTO are not even around, but everday
commerce & work is the order of the day & the police state is created to keep everybody quiet & in submission

posted on Nov, 7 2010 @ 04:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by St Udio

its hard for me to imagine just how & why the S. Korean people have any viewpoint one way or another
on the G-20.

the G-20 is emeshed in trade and monetary systems to keep the current system working (to the advantage
of the elites)...
there are rebel rousers there instigating the unconcerned citizens, for their own means & purposes.

i wouldn't be surprised if there weren't int'l mega corps inciting the violent protests just to get
the host nations to enforce draconian laws and police actions...that may eventually carry over to normal
time activities---i.e. when meetings by the G-20, or NATO, or WTO are not even around, but everday
commerce & work is the order of the day & the police state is created to keep everybody quiet & in submission

Bravo, that seems to be what every protest does just a new test for a new sound or water cannon, I wonder when they will use the heat ray? more than a few protest that turned violent have shown pictures of police undercover doing the dirty work to incite crouds. or back protesters into small confined areas then call them out of control.
when people ask what happened to the rebellious youth protesting to bring our troops home, I think its because all the protesters gave up they realized it doesnt matter and they are wasting their energy I would get tired of meeting a billyclub to the head after a while too.
its sad but I think our society is so dumbed down they actually want/need to be controlled.

posted on Nov, 7 2010 @ 04:27 PM
link   
I know they've got to do it because South Korea is a member economy and a prominent nation economically, but holding the event there is just pushing your luck. Think about it. They are going to have the heads of state, finance ministers, and central bank governers of the twenty richest nations on earth all in one place...and that place happens to be one of the most tense, hair-trigger spots on earth. A short drive away lies the single most heavily militarized border in the world. Ships are massing in seas that continuously see fractuous events such as waylaying of vessels or exchanges of fire. Even if nobody wants anything to go wrong, the entire place is crisscrossed with all kinds of tripwires, figuratively speaking. Might as well hold the event on a poweder keg.

posted on Nov, 7 2010 @ 05:07 PM
link   
Apart from all the pollies and hangers on getting a free overseas holiday, I have no idea why they continue with these meeting in person.
Surely technology is now at the point where these world leaders could meet whenever they want in a virtual setting, safe and sound at home with zero expense to the poor taxpayer..

It's almost as if they WANT to stir trouble where ever they go..IMHO

posted on Nov, 7 2010 @ 05:42 PM
link   
South Korea is concerned about the risk of violent anti-capitalist protests -- a common feature of summits involving the world's leading economies -- and anxious its rival North Korea may try to stage an incident to embarrass it.

South Korea armed forces are on a "Level 3" alert, the highest level, and some 50,000 police -- more than one-third of the national force -- launched increased patrols from Saturday.

Sunday's protest, involving between 20,000 and 40,000 protesters, was seen as a test

posted on Nov, 7 2010 @ 07:18 PM
link   
The Koreans have real protests, those guys get rowdy!
They also have solidarity, something US protesters have great difficulty with.
Things might be different today if US protesters would demonstrate like the Koreans do.
It's only when great masses of people are brutally beaten down that the country as a whole takes notice.
Gandhi proved it, Jesus proved it, Kent state proved it.
Problem is, far too few are willing to risk all. Myself included.

new topics

top topics

join