It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The tunnel people of Las Vegas: How 1,000 live in flooded labyrinth under Sin City's shimmering str

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 6 2010 @ 08:05 PM
link   

The tunnel people of Las Vegas: How 1,000 live in flooded labyrinth under Sin City's shimmering strip

www.dailymail.co.uk

Deep beneath Vegas’s glittering lights lies a sinister labyrinth inhabited by poisonous spiders and a man nicknamed The Troll who wields an iron bar.

But astonishingly, the 200 miles of flood tunnels are also home to 1,000 people who eke out a living in the strip’s dark underbelly.

Some, like Steven and his girlfriend Kathryn, have furnished their home with considerable care - their 400sq ft 'bungalow' boasts a double bed, a wardrobe and even a bookshelf.

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/52458924237f.jpg[/atsimg]
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Nov, 6 2010 @ 08:05 PM
link   
Las Vegas, Nevada - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
The 2009 population estimate of the Las Vegas metropolitan area was 1902834. ...... Retrieved 30 September 2010.
^ "Las Vegas city, Nevada, ACS Demographic ...

History - Geography and climate - Demographics - Economy
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Las_Vegas,_Nevada - Cached - Similar

These are using the 2008 census estimates for cities over 200,000 people of which there are 107.

So how many people have fallen through the cracks ?

America , you really need to help your own people first...
Charity begins at home ....
..and I'm sure the rest of the world , will breathe a collective,
... sigh of relief !?!?!?!?!!??

www.dailymail.co.uk
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Nov, 6 2010 @ 08:33 PM
link   
Seen this story two years ago.I'm sure the rain has washed them out by now.

posted on Nov, 6 2010 @ 08:37 PM
link   
Wow, just wow.

I don't know weather to remark on how cool this is, or how cruel this is.

These humans are surviving across a network of underground tunnels that stretch over 200miles, wow!

How terrible, yet...look at the freedom they get, I would have got some second hand DIY tools and made myself a steel door with locks or something. I would also modify the floor and create a drainage system, put crates down all over the floor, get polystyrene and plywood and make a cheap flood free wooden floor. Then I would place lengths of old rugs and carpet on it.

No debts for those guys, but I would imagine the horrific sights they may see down there, heroin addicts, rapists and just really strange people.

EDIT: I wonder if they ever hear the Deep Underground Military Bases, the trains, trucks deeper underground etc. I wonder if they have ever seen something like an ET down there. It reminds me of an X-Files episode I seen.
edit on 6/11/2010 by the_denv because: Added text.

posted on Nov, 6 2010 @ 08:47 PM
link   
Stories about the people living in these tunnels surface every few years or so. I've drove through Vegas many times giving no thought to what might be going on beneath me. Of course, really, who would? I do feel for these people, but its also a testament to how resourceful people can be when they need to be. These kind of people would be among those survivors in the event of a big disaster or other SHTF event.

posted on Nov, 6 2010 @ 09:03 PM
link   
its a shame how the US can spend billions and billions of dollars over seas on wars that aren't required, send millions of dollars to other countries for AID (which isn't a bad thing!) but if they started in their own back yard, then people wouldn't be living like this, and people would look at the US in a different light.
Its not just America though, just about every other modern western country does the same thing, ignore their own problems and try to get involved in other countries woes.

These people are amazing how they can live like this, i dont know if i could.

Peace

posted on Nov, 6 2010 @ 09:39 PM
link   
This is scary i'd never live there.... can't imagine the horror.

posted on Nov, 6 2010 @ 09:48 PM
link   
ABC news snippet

posted on Nov, 6 2010 @ 09:51 PM
link   
By the way, Las Vegas isn't the only city to have tunnel dwellers - NYC also has tunnel communities, Mole People is a documentary (or a book, I forget) written about them ... I would venture that most major cities have them. People will find a way to survive on the streets...

edit on 6-11-2010 by LadySkadi because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 6 2010 @ 10:47 PM
link   
reply to post by the_denv

You can't be serious, the draining system in Vegas becomes flooded even in limited rain fall.I am talking about a river even under dry conditions.
People living in the drainage system in Vegas are there for a fleeting moment.
Don't ask me how I know.

posted on Nov, 6 2010 @ 11:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by radarloveguy

The tunnel people of Las Vegas: How 1,000 live in flooded labyrinth under Sin City's shimmering strip

www.dailymail.co.uk

Some, like Steven and his girlfriend Kathryn, have furnished their home with considerable care - their 400sq ft 'bungalow' boasts a double bed, a wardrobe and even a bookshelf.

..."Steven and his girlfriend Kathryn".... ?

Kathryn looks much older than him and looks very much like Steven, so he could be living with his MOTHER and sleeping with her in the same bed!... perverts

posted on Nov, 6 2010 @ 11:40 PM
link   
it's even bigger, better and deeper in new york city tunnel systems. tens of thousands of people live under new york city in what used to be a subway system for the rich. they live in total darkness, rats are their main source of meat. in so much darkness, their life expectancy is only 40 years.

posted on Nov, 6 2010 @ 11:43 PM
link   
w00t a complex for drug addicts!

awesome 4 them, reminds me of Futurama and the mutants that live below the surface.

Enjoy your bohemian lifestyles!

MEANWHILE;

I'll be enjoy surface life.

posted on Nov, 7 2010 @ 12:25 AM
link   
I've already made a thread on it...

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Nov, 7 2010 @ 09:25 AM
link   

Originally posted by eNaR

..."Steven and his girlfriend Kathryn".... ?

Kathryn looks much older than him and looks very much like Steven, so he could be living with his MOTHER and sleeping with her in the same bed!... perverts

She is much older looking due to tragedy. They lost their home and their child died, that is why they are there.

Originally posted by flyingfish
reply to post by the_denv

You can't be serious, the draining system in Vegas becomes flooded even in limited rain fall.I am talking about a river even under dry conditions.
People living in the drainage system in Vegas are there for a fleeting moment.
Don't ask me how I know.

I did not know that.

Maybe if they got a second hand pneumatic drill and made some re-directing channel for the water?

posted on Nov, 7 2010 @ 09:26 AM
link   
Las Vegas, Pheonix and all those desert cities shouldn't even exist. They are the least resourceful and most unsustainable areas in the United States. They have to borrow everything from more resourceful parts of the country, which are often hundreds of miles away.

With the exception of perhaps solar-power.

Should the # hit the fan one day, these cities will be the first to fall and I won't shed a tear.

posted on Nov, 7 2010 @ 09:34 AM
link   
reply to post by radarloveguy

S&F

...you really need to read this story.

posted on Nov, 7 2010 @ 09:50 AM
link   
I don't see what is wrong with living like this, these people would prolly have a high chance of surviving something than those people on the surface.

IMO this is quite a nice way to live if you don't have money

posted on Nov, 7 2010 @ 10:59 AM
link   
Incredible...People living underground.

posted on Nov, 7 2010 @ 11:47 AM
link   
Duplicate Thread closed. Continue Discussion in thread by HunkaHunka.

top topics

join