It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Image of the Day: Saturn's Weird Moon, Pan (cool picture)

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 5 2010 @ 11:31 PM
link   
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/5e77398497fb.jpg[/atsimg]

Source

Quote from source:

Strange flying-saucer-shaped moons embedded in Saturn's rings have baffled scientists studying images transmitted by the ESA's Cassini Spacecraft. New research suggests that the oddly shaped moons, Pan and Atlas, are born largely from clumps of icy particles in the rings themselves, a discovery that could shed light on how Earth and other planets formerd from the disk of matter that once surrounded our newborn sun.

Observations by NASA's Cassini spacecraft revealed the moons Atlas and Pan, each roughly 12 miles (20 kilometers) from pole to pole, have massive ridges bulging from their equators some 3.7 to 6.5 miles (6 to 10.5 kilometers) high, giving them the classic Earthly UFO appearance.

At first glance, one could assume that fast rates of spin might have stretched Atlas and Pan out into such unusual shapes, just as tossing a disk of pizza dough flattens it out. But astronomers discovered that each takes about 14 hours to complete a rotation -not nearly fast enough to cause the flattened, disk-like shape.

I think this has to be the coolest moon I have ever seen. The shape of this moon compared to our so called flying saucers is uncanny.

I like that there is 2 moons of this shape as to me that is very odd, I know it is common but still odd to see moons forming in that shape.

Maybe they are actually space craft that have put a protective layer of rocks around them, because they saw our spacecraft flyby.

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/8175ca0301b3.jpg[/atsimg]

Had to add this photo of saturn too, it's rings look stunning and it is a beautiful picture.

See, I hope we colonize one of the moons in the future because I would not mind waking up in the morning, going out and seeing this monster sitting in the sky. How beautiful would that be to look in the sky and see Saturn and her Rings?

Wow!!

Any thoughts?

Pred...
edit on 5-11-2010 by predator0187 because: added source...

posted on Nov, 6 2010 @ 12:09 AM
link   
A couple more cool photos.

Pan;

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/bf6d1e89a6d9.jpg[/atsimg]

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/545bbf9038ea.jpg[/atsimg]

Atlas;

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/e1a40f832ddc.jpg[/atsimg]

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/d9895de5ef50.jpg[/atsimg]

Comparison between the two...

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/fe29983c554a.jpg[/atsimg]

Strange how it looks like this...

Maybe Earth's the weird one...

Pred...

posted on Nov, 6 2010 @ 12:11 AM
link   
great pictures it looks abit like a flying sourcer lol

posted on Nov, 6 2010 @ 12:16 AM
link   
reply to post by scott,aussie

A warped flying saucer.
Can you imagine having that moon instead of our current moon? I wonder the tales we can have of that moon.

posted on Nov, 6 2010 @ 12:32 AM
link   

Originally posted by scott,aussie
great pictures it looks abit like a flying sourcer lol

It does sorta hey?

It's weird that that sort of shape is common within the universe, I wonder if maybe that's why "aliens spaceships" are shaped that way.

Thanks for the response.

Pred...

posted on Nov, 6 2010 @ 01:04 AM
link   

Originally posted by Romantic_Rebel
reply to post by scott,aussie

A warped flying saucer.
Can you imagine having that moon instead of our current moon? I wonder the tales we can have of that moon.

How cool would that be? Especially if it was the same size as our moon, floating through the skies.

Awesome thought.
It would be beautiful and amazing, although our moons pretty cool too.

Pred...

posted on Nov, 6 2010 @ 01:59 AM
link   
Cool thread! Thanks Pred!

Very cool moons for sure!

We have talked about these at the observatory before.
The guy who works for lockheed, helped to put Cassini up,
and he has a whole mess of photos from Saturn and its moons.
The guy is like a pro on Saturn and its satellites. lol

A few years back, I was astounded to learn that it had hundreds of moons! . lol

Great pics man!

And havent people said in certain cases they have seen UFO's like 12 miles long? lol

what better way to hide your vehicle than to make it look like a moon!?!?

I doubt it, for these moons anyway, who knows..
but I wouldnt be surprised either...
in fact.. i might even expect it from a spacefaring race who could easily do such thing.... lol

edit on 6-11-2010 by Ahmose because: (no reason given)

edit on 6-11-2010 by Ahmose because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 6 2010 @ 02:33 AM
link   
reply to post by Ahmose

Thanks buddy and your welcome.

That's awesome, there is nothing more serene than the universe in my books. I could look at pictures of planets, stars and moons forever. Everything out there is so beautiful it almost makes me go into a daze.

I think it's weird that the shape is so common and that is what we associate UFO's with.

That's not a moon, it's a space station...

Pred...

posted on Nov, 6 2010 @ 08:39 AM
link   
Ah, you found me... I'm pretty disappointed now, I'm a have to move again...

posted on Nov, 6 2010 @ 09:10 AM
link   
It reminds me of how young children want to be just like their parents

posted on Nov, 6 2010 @ 09:17 AM
link   
S and F.
Thanks OP.
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/d9895de5ef50.jpg[/atsimg]

This is out there, but is anyone else seeing Mars Cydonia?

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/686670e16099.jpeg[/atsimg]

edit on 6/11/10 by atlasastro because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 6 2010 @ 01:26 PM
link   
reply to post by Myendica

Sorry.

We were just admiring your beauty though, how you make your ship look like a moon?

Kudos to you.

Pred...

posted on Nov, 6 2010 @ 02:59 PM
link   
The very first image, that of the moon Pan is computer-generated, not a direct image.

Which makes me wonder where the fine surface detail information came from.
Optically, they can only get pretty blurred images at the moment.

I'm not aware that the Cassini probe carries a radar, so is NASA being way over the top in producing and releasing this synthetic image?

How accurate is the rendition, and what is it based on?

NASA being a bit shy about the truth behind this image, and probably pleased about the publicity.

You have to look pretty hard at the news reports to find that this is a computer generated image.

www.space.com...

posted on Nov, 6 2010 @ 03:27 PM
link   
No doubt the satanists that worship saturn called this moon "Pan" from the ancient greek god.

posted on Nov, 6 2010 @ 03:31 PM
link   
reply to post by ommadawn

Good questions buddy.

With that being a synthetic image why do they have the texture the way it is?

The other photos show just a rough outline with out that much detail so maybe they just did it the way they thought. Or, it could be spaceships and they are just pulling the wool over our eyes.

Ever heard those sounds coming from Saturn? Maybe, that's their beacon for other incoming crafts.

I love crazy stuff.

Pred...

posted on Nov, 6 2010 @ 03:47 PM
link   
Back in the good old days, you would stick "Artist's Impression" on the image.

These days? Nah, not even NASA do that anymore.

posted on Nov, 6 2010 @ 04:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by ommadawn
I'm not aware that the Cassini probe carries a radar,

Actually, Cassini does have a radar, but it probably isn't useful at all at getting details like that.

so is NASA being way over the top in producing and releasing this synthetic image?

NASA being a bit shy about the truth behind this image, and probably pleased about the publicity.

You have to look pretty hard at the news reports to find that this is a computer generated image.

www.space.com...

What does NASA have to do with the picture?

Your own source credits that image to CEA/ANIMEA. Animea being a french animation studio ( www.animea.com... ) and CEA is most probably referring to ( www.cea.fr... ), "French, government-funded research organization".

If you have a problem with the picture, why don't you take it up with them, instead of blaming NASA? NASA isn't directly involved with every single artist's impression of celestial objects and other space-related stuff, you know?

posted on Nov, 6 2010 @ 06:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by MacAnkka

I'm not aware that the Cassini probe carries a radar,

Actually, Cassini does have a radar, but it probably isn't useful at all at getting details like that.

so is NASA being way over the top in producing and releasing this synthetic image?

www.space.com...

What does NASA have to do with the picture?

Your own source credits that image to CEA/ANIMEA. Animea being a french animation studio ( www.animea.com... ) and CEA is most probably referring to ( www.cea.fr... ), "French, government-funded research organization".

If you have a problem with the picture, why don't you take it up with them, instead of blaming NASA? NASA isn't directly involved with every single artist's impression of celestial objects and other space-related stuff, you know?

Hey, hands-up. I didn't look for or expect a French animation studio to jump on the back of this story in such a comprehensive manner.

Or for the media to miss it too, although I am aware of their numerous mistakes these days in racing to publish without doing the most basic checks on stories.

Hands up again, I have to strive to be better than the media at all times.

In passing, Cassini went into Safe mode a few days ago, so it's not taking any pictures at present.

Thanks for nailing-me, improves my opinion of ATS, which frankly has been at an all time low of date.

posted on Nov, 7 2010 @ 01:16 AM
link   
reply to post by ommadawn

You have to be careful what you read on ats and what forum it is in.

Some places care about facts and make sure to know them before opening their mouths.

Ats is still good though, once in a while you get people that just like to talk but most of us are pretty good people who care what we talk about.

Pred...

posted on Nov, 7 2010 @ 01:17 AM
link   
reply to post by MacAnkka

And thanks for doing fact checking!!

I'm always happy to hear people doing real research.

Respect and star to you.

Pred...

top topics

<<   2 >>

join