It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

To the Trolls / Prophets / Liars / Attention Seekers

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 1 2010 @ 09:17 AM
link   
Maybe this is just me, but ATS has taken a massive dive in quality lately. The amount of fearmongering and outright crap pisses me off.

The number of false predictions is shocking. The amount of posts predicting the end of the world sickens me, when its people posting up what they know is nothing more than a lie, in order to get stars/flags/attention.

Then there are people purposefully posting obvious untruths, or exaggerating, and even lying about events, again, purely to get stars/flags/attention.

Vigilance has always been required when looking for answers, but it really has got out of hand. The people who are doing this should be deeply ashamed of themselves. A lot of people who come here are in the process of awakening, they are lost and confused. Then some idiot troll posts some absolute rubbish and it gets loads of flags and makes the front page. Vulnerable people can easily be mislead by these posts.

I am sure some people are fully aware of what they are doing and the repercussions - and these people are the scum of humanity. Others doing it for a laugh, without being aware of the effects it can have upon the impressionable, confused and people desperate for answers - WAKE UP and realise exactly just what you are doing.

posted on Nov, 1 2010 @ 09:22 AM
link   
One thing I have never understood about people like you, those who get angry with people who make these predictions, is why you read them? Why give yourself a chance to get angry? Doesn't ATS have a "hide thread" feature? If people want to believe them then it isn't up to you to say that every prediction is bunk, even considering the past track record, because if they are in the process of "waking up" (which in my opinion can't happen just from reading ATS) then wouldn't it be good for them to get excited about a prediction, and if it is false, they can look back and reflect on it?
edit on 1-11-2010 by kyle43 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 1 2010 @ 09:25 AM
link   
reply to post by EnactedEgoTrip

While I would venture to say that some people have motives that are impure... Others simply believe what they are posting. Right or wrong is irrelevant if the motive is pure.

And, yes, while these threads can be overpowering and even annoying sometimes, they are part of the game. But rather than complain it's much easier to simply not click on them - or better yet - to enter them and try and explain why you disagree with them, in a polite and patient manner. Those young and impressionable people will read the OP but they will also read the quality contradictions posted in the thread and will be able to make their own assessments of the information within.

~Heff

posted on Nov, 1 2010 @ 09:26 AM
link   

"The number of false predictions is shocking. The amount of posts predicting the end of the world sickens me, when its people posting up what they know is nothing more than a lie, in order to get stars/flags/attention."

Yes it is. But remember my good man. We live in a complex reality with a complex conscienceness . Everyone has many questions . We live in a time of dis info mis info to pull further away from the "truth" People who post up sillyness are doing it thinking they are doing everyone else a favor. Im sure most of them mean well. They just new to the game to understand how important digging into a topic really is before posting things about it. Seems like everyone wants to be that guy that wakes up the world =) Just debunk the posts to the best of your ability in a nice calm manner or not even visit the post . As for the trolls , im sure we've all "trolled" one time or another this happens when passion + pride mingle with facts and evidence.

posted on Nov, 1 2010 @ 09:29 AM
link   
I can't actually comment on the the change in quality as I am a relatively new member to the forum, but I will say there are a lot of threads moaning at other people. I am not a fan of the sad nick names that have been given to different types of people in here for having an opinion.

As for attention seekers, It is simple to ignore idiotic posts, if you can't be the adult in the situation and not argue with the idiot that is clearly looking for a baseless argument then that is up to you.

Too many people get accused of trolling just for having an opinion that differs from the majority. That is life and pretty much the point in the forum. We get news that people wouldn't normally hear about out to the masses. There will be objection to anything that anybody writes.

And finally...What did you think this thread would do apart from start yet more arguments/disagreements? These threads, although not the reason for petty disagreements, definitely help stir up trouble. There have been a lot of them recently.

posted on Nov, 1 2010 @ 09:31 AM
link   
What would happen if nobody spoke out against any bad things? Those things would become acceptable. Like it seems to have been on here. I will not shut up just to ease the conscience of people who do these things.

I fully understand that some people post things up because they genuinely want answers and this topic is not directed at these. Read the title.

This is directed at those who are deliberately posting what they know is false, what they know will press peoples buttons, all for kicks/stars/flags. Someone needs to speak up, and warn people that these people exist, it is a problem.

posted on Nov, 1 2010 @ 09:32 AM
link   

www.abovetopsecret.com...

Posters who start threads with the word Armageddon in it and have absolutely no basis for using such a dramatic word could also be considered a liar. Over dramatising happens a lot in here too. I notice you haven't had a pop at those people yet.

posted on Nov, 1 2010 @ 09:35 AM
link   
and which are you? you only registered this year, so how far down could it have gone? why join if 2 months later you gonna start this? content been going down for years, but its because newboes show up and talk about anything the cat drug in. we cant manufacture conspiracies, only talk about them.

posted on Nov, 1 2010 @ 09:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by jexmo

www.abovetopsecret.com...

Posters who start threads with the word Armageddon in it and have absolutely no basis for using such a dramatic word could also be considered a liar. Over dramatising happens a lot in here too. I notice you haven't had a pop at those people yet.

Actually, as you have noticed, I already did have a pop and it was deleted, and after what I wrote, it was fair. There was more to that thread than just the exaggerated topic, which has been covered by someone else since, and for the sake of keeping my account active I am not responding in there.

However, keeping quiet is the last thing I am going to do. People around here, who this post hits a nerve with, would just LOVE it if people like me shut up or disappeared, because they don't like their deeds being exposed. Remind you of anyone?

posted on Nov, 1 2010 @ 09:39 AM
link   

To the Trolls / Prophets / Liars / Attention Seekers,

Trolls, Prophets, Liars, and Attention Seekers on a conspiracy site! My God that's shocking!

What did you expect? Exaggeration, hyperbole, sensationalism is the stock and trade of conspiracies and the other subjects that tag along.

If this type of thing disturbes you....BTS is tons of fun

edit on 1-11-2010 by whaaa because: sljfsj

posted on Nov, 1 2010 @ 09:41 AM
link   

Originally posted by Myendica
and which are you? you only registered this year, so how far down could it have gone? why join if 2 months later you gonna start this? content been going down for years, but its because newboes show up and talk about anything the cat drug in. we cant manufacture conspiracies, only talk about them.

I have been reading ATS for years, I cant remember my old login. Dont assume just by the registered date that is when people started reading ATS, for I can bet you there are many unregistered lurkers.

Originally posted by whaaa

To the Trolls / Prophets / Liars / Attention Seekers,

Trolls, Prophets, Liars, and Attention Seekers on a conspiracy site! My God that's shocking!

What did you expect? Exaggeration, hyperbole, sensationalism is the stock and trade of conspiracies.

edit on 1-11-2010 by whaaa because: (no reason given)

I agree, but this is adding to the problem. There is so much evil going on in this world, people come to sites like these looking for answers and there are people who are wilfully and deliberately posting up misinformation, people who are intentionally preying on vulnerable people by pushing their buttons and feeding them lies for their own amusement.
edit on 1-11-2010 by EnactedEgoTrip because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 1 2010 @ 09:43 AM
link   
What always gets me is they often say "seek within and you'll know it's true". That's a sign that their prediction is a pile of horse #.
edit on 1-11-2010 by 547000 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 1 2010 @ 09:45 AM
link   

I have been here since 2004. Believe me, ATS has always been insane and highly 'alternative'. Maybe you can see it now more clearly because you are more mature, or maybe are sick of the constant doomsday predictions that turn out false. That's what happened to me, I joined believing what Alex Jones says, as well as chemtrails, now I think he is a douche and chemtrails are a dumbest theory I've ever read. The forum doesn't get smarter as a whole (unlike individual members) because there's a constant influx of new members.
edit on 1/11/10 by C0bzz because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 1 2010 @ 09:45 AM
link   

Don't let it get to you if you don't like them skip them i think they are fun to read way outside the box

Why do they get so many flags+stars i have no idea maybe because people just like that type of thread one day someone is going to be spot on with a prediction.

Just remember if you post in a thread you don't like you are just bumping the thread i would never flag a prediction thread until the prediction came true and then it would be just a fluke.

Me i like to read them not post in them only sometimes some would say this type of thread is just as bad as them a kind of rant thread i did one way back silly really don't let it get to you

Maybe you need a break from ATS if it's getting to you.

Thanks

edit on 093030p://2010-11-01T09:47:49-05:000111 by mars1 because: to fix repy name

posted on Nov, 1 2010 @ 09:50 AM
link   

I agree, but this is adding to the problem. There is so much evil going on in this world, people come to sites like these looking for answers and there are people who are wilfully and deliberately posting up misinformation, people who are intentionally preying on vulnerable people by pushing their buttons and feeding them lies for their own amusement.

Anyone looking for answers on a site that is primarily designed for light entertainment will surely be disappointed.

And don't call me Shirley.

posted on Nov, 1 2010 @ 09:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by mars1
reply to [url=http://www.abovetopsecret.com/forum/thread625741/pg1#pid9842897]post by [EnactedEgoTrip/url]

Don't let it get to you if you don't like them skip them i think they are fun to read way outside the box

Why do they get so many flags+stars i have no idea maybe because people just like that type of thread one day someone is going to be spot on with a prediction.

Just remember if you post in a thread you don't like you are just bumping the thread i would never flag a prediction thread until the prediction came true and then it would be just a fluke.

Me i like to read them not post in them only sometimes some would say this type of thread is just as bad as them a kind of rant thread i did one way back silly really don't let it get to you

Maybe you need a break from ATS if it's getting to you.

Thanks

Its not as simple as just ignoring it though.

What is that saying, I cant remember who it is by, but something along the lines of "evil prospers when the good do nothing". Bad posts need exposing. Its that simple. If nobody says anything then how are people less clued up going to know?

posted on Nov, 1 2010 @ 09:55 AM
link   

I must ask, what is the difference between someone posting something that you think is false and someone who posts any news source? On ATS it is generally accepted that most news sources we "trust" are not always trustworthy. Why is it ok that someone can post something about a "possible attack on (insert country)" that came from (insert MSM news source), and it stay on the front page for weeks? Everything on this website is up for debate because what is true in my mind isn't always true in yours...

posted on Nov, 1 2010 @ 10:00 AM
link   

I see what you are saying but you know the rules you got to be nice
in your exposing the trolls prophets liars attention seekers.
We can see the reason you started this thread just below your avatar take a brake come back refreshed.

Thanks

posted on Nov, 1 2010 @ 10:02 AM
link   
So what do you suggest?
That each and every new thread added to ATS first passes a smell test?
A censor who will weed out the 'bs'?
If that's what you wanted why not just go read MSM?

peace

posted on Nov, 1 2010 @ 10:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by Hefficide

While I would venture to say that some people have motives that are impure... Others simply believe what they are posting. Right or wrong is irrelevant if the motive is pure.

And, yes, while these threads can be overpowering and even annoying sometimes, they are part of the game. But rather than complain it's much easier to simply not click on them - or better yet - to enter them and try and explain why you disagree with them, in a polite and patient manner. Those young and impressionable people will read the OP but they will also read the quality contradictions posted in the thread and will be able to make their own assessments of the information within.

~Heff
Sometimes I have to get off the computer and take a break,and then again I think some of the threads they are referring to you have to consider the source,possibly their age for instance,but they have every right to their opinion......

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join