It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Would you become a Hybrid?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 31 2010 @ 07:43 AM
link   
A new era has arrived for humanity. As a fan of science and science fiction (no pun needed.). I feel that it's time for us to become a Superorganism. I'm desperately trying to recreate what I seen in my dreams of people turned into machines. As a frequent web browser. I came across the terminator wiki site. Which has a great entry on hybrid.

A Hybrid is a human who has been transformed into a cybernetic organism. It is the main focus of the Project Angel, which was initiated by Cyberdyne Systems Genetics Division.

That has to be the coolest paragraph I ever had a chance of reading in my life. I would defiantly become a hybrid. My question to my fellow users would you become a hybrid? Think about how great you can become in life.
edit on 31-10-2010 by Romantic_Rebel because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 31 2010 @ 07:59 AM
link   
reply to post by Romantic_Rebel

become a super orgasm

Anyway, I would never want to become a cyborg. If I was an amputee, alright, but why switch fully functioning flesh with robotics...? Sex would SOOOOO suck! Think about it.

posted on Oct, 31 2010 @ 08:01 AM
link   
i always wanted a learning chip that could be programmed like the matrix.

imagine that. any skill or language uploaded

edit on 31-10-2010 by okamitengu because: typos... gah!

posted on Oct, 31 2010 @ 08:01 AM
link   
reply to post by Kemal

Gosh! I suck at spelling!
Thanks for the laugh. I meant Superorganism. Like ants, bees and terminates. You wouldn't need sex since you wouldn't need to mate.

posted on Oct, 31 2010 @ 08:44 AM
link   
This is a topic that I am writing my Senior Thesis on: Bio-engineering.

Yes, I would take the chance to "upgrade" myself. The scientific papers I've found and read lead me to believe this will happen soon.

posted on Oct, 31 2010 @ 11:21 AM
link   

You wouldn't need sex since you wouldn't need to mate.

You've got to be kidding me... Seriously. Sex is one thing I wouldn't give up for any body part upgrade.

Anyway...

I'm not sure. If it were a biological upgrade... I can think of a few natural talents that would come in very helpful.
A cyborg/Hybrid just doesn't sound like it's a good thing to do.

Edit to say that I would enjoy The instant knowledge stuff from the matrix posted above.
edit on 10/31/2010 by Sinter Klaas because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 31 2010 @ 11:48 AM
link   
Absolutley!!

If you never had to worry about getting sick, breaking a bone, having cancer or anything else our frail human bodies have go wrong with them, why wouldn't you take it?

I think there will not be a choice in the matter. If you do not do it you will be left in the dust.

You will not be able to find a job if you are competing against cyborg, nor could you compete in any sports.

We have the ability to control our evoultion, which not many creatures on Earth have been able to do, why would you not take the ability to be better than you already are?

For me, hands down, no question. I would be first on line.

Think about never having to sleep, I would get so much more done.

Think about your ability to learn, it would increase exponentially.

No-brained to me.

Pred...
edit on 31-10-2010 by predator0187 because: Grammar

posted on Oct, 31 2010 @ 09:33 PM
link   
Transferring your mind into a machine is, really, impossible. Technology will never be able to rectify this. However - machines/computers can certainly augment your human body.

The human body is superior, anyway. Our body can live forever, in a sense. The cause of aging is the degradation of the DNA within your cells. Telomeres stave off this process for a time - but they, too degrade and the cell eventually fails. Telomeres are 'junk' DNA that are not used in protein synthesis. One must then wonder how bacteria stay alive. The answer is they regulate the telomere length - rebuilding junk DNA as necessary. No known multicellular organism does the same thing - but our cells are more than capable of accomplishing the task.

That resolves replicating tissues. Non-replicating tissues are not as easy to resolve, but research into the behavior of adult and embryonic stem cells should serve us well.

The cold hard reality is that you'll be hard-pressed to surpass the human body in functionality. Packing the same power/weight into something the size of our bodies is no easy task, and then to make it efficient enough to allow something resembling a normal life (let alone enhanced) is pretty impractical. If you want to be a cyborg, you're better off with a powered armor/exoskeleton that you can take off and let sit on the charger after you've gotten your 2 hours of use out of it.

And that is what I mean by augmentation. That's a simple form of augmentation. More complex varieties will be cybernetic implants that will allow you to expand your mind's capabilities into the digital world while keeping your brain. Why rush off to a calculator when you can 'read' math like you would read a sentence? Why wonder where you are when you can 'see' yourself in a mental image of your surroundings?

As for "download learning" - not really practical. Each person's neural networks are so individual in their relationships (and their specific method for storing memory) as to be impossible to simply "learn." Further - motor-skills involve the training of the peripheral nervous system (which is involved in processing motor commands) - which is well beyond the scope of any practical implant.

That's not to say implants couldn't assist you in learning how to operate new machinery, martial arts, a new subject, etc - but it would still be up to you to actually learn and utilize such an aid.

I imagine the context of schools would change. Primary schooling would consist of teaching children basic reading, math, comprehension, etc - but also focus on training children to interact with their implants. A child cannot understand an implant for math/arithmetic if they have no sense of numbers to begin with.

I imagine nanobots would be the primary method of constructing implants - creating sensors within the neural fabric of the brain without being destructive - a series of laminates just under the skull serve as a basic digital interface, wireless data link (likely very short range - only a few feet - specialty devices allowing greater range would be external, worn on the belt, sewn into clothing, etc), and have a myriad of basic features. In theory - the entire implant could be upgraded through subsequent injections of nanobots as technology advances, or be removed rather painlessly.

In that context - I would certainly augment. The amount of time that could save in 3d design/prototyping is so priceless as to be - well, priceless.

new topics

top topics

join