It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What gas mask?

page: 1

join
share:
CX

posted on Oct, 29 2010 @ 09:48 AM
link   
I have been thinking about this for too long now, but after a reminder from ATS member Mactire in another thread, i thought i'd bring up the subject for discussion.

The only gas masks/respirators i have experience are the military S10's, that was many years ago so any updated advice on this would be most gratefull.

First of all, why would you need a gas mask?

Many people immediately think nuclear warfare when we mention gas masks, but there are many less dramatic scenarios you could need one for.

There are toxic clouds, germ epidemics, chemical spills, smoke, and much more. What i am interested in is the right kind of mask to get. Some may not filter certain particles. Its like those paper dust masks we saw being issued during the swine flu farce, if you think that little bit of paper will stop the spread of a virus then you'd be very much mistaken.

Recently i have been looking into masks for use whilst woodworking (i use a lot of mdf, the dust is poisonous) and wanted something that would keep out the fine dust particles.....something like this...

www.screwfix.com...

Full face ones too...

www.screwfix.com...

Thier description will let you know what they filter. Any decent workwear and PPE shop will sell these.

I'll have a look around the web for more advice on this, but welcome any help from our members.

CX.

posted on Oct, 29 2010 @ 10:03 AM
link   
My advice is, don't get this one!

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/6b12d99019ed.jpg[/atsimg]

In all seriousness though, I have noticed that it is hard to find good gas masks and/or bullet proof vests. I heard somewhere like england they made, and distributed, a gas mask for every man, woman, and child durring WW2.

I don't think our govenment wants us to have any of the really "good" equipment. It's a power and control thing.

CX

posted on Oct, 29 2010 @ 10:16 AM
link   
Just found this site for the UKers....have all kinds of masks...

Established in May 2000, SurviveALL is the leading UK stockists to the general public of Swine Flu, Bird Flu and "NBC" (Nuclear, Biological and Chemical) products that are designed to protect people’s health in the event of an NBC incident. Our mission is simple, "to educate, provide and protect."

www.surviveall.co.uk...

CX.

posted on Nov, 7 2010 @ 12:02 AM
link   
If its a Nuke, then your F**kered, if its Bio, then more then likely your F**ckered but if your looking for something that gives you great protection w/ballistic sheild face cover, then you might want to check this out?.... I have a refurbished one from my local Military Surplus store for $75.00

posted on Nov, 7 2010 @ 12:05 AM
link   
ooopppppsss forgot the link...

www.approvedgasmasks.com...

posted on Nov, 7 2010 @ 01:48 AM
link   
I have a old hand cranked air line unit that a industrial filter canister can be connected to.
it was for toxic mine use and i have rigged it to run the pump off a motor and a car battery.

This makes it a positive pressure rig and with a full body hazmat suit it give 100% protection. this is a level B hazmat setup.
www.envci.com...

The hand/power pump also lets me set up a Israeli type bio and chemical shelter room. And the pump was built to feed 4 masks. with people pumping it likely it would feed more in a room type shelter with one cranking the pump and 4+resting
The Israelis line a room in there home with plastic and seal the room with a hand cranked system drawing air through a filter from the outside of the room.
This gives them a positive pressure shelter with filtered air.

This system can also be used to bring filtered air into a nuclear fallout shelter and any radioactive dust would be trapped in the filter out side of the shelter.

Most old US CD shelter plans had the pump and FILTER inside the shelter connected to the air intake outside.
This puts a gamma radiation source inside of your shelter with you. At lest you would not need a light with the glow in the dark filter.

posted on Nov, 7 2010 @ 05:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by CX
Just found this site for the UKers....have all kinds of masks...

Established in May 2000, SurviveALL is the leading UK stockists to the general public of Swine Flu, Bird Flu and "NBC" (Nuclear, Biological and Chemical) products that are designed to protect people’s health in the event of an NBC incident. Our mission is simple, "to educate, provide and protect."

www.surviveall.co.uk...

CX.

Funnily enough I do have a couple of these. Pleased to say I've never had to use them.

For EDC you're probably better off with a standard dust-mask and swimming goggles.

top topics

join