It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Ancient Egyptian priest’s tomb unearthed in Giza

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 29 2010 @ 07:37 PM
link   
reply to post by RussianScientists

The Egyptian Labyrinth discovery starts at about the 20 minute mark, but the stuff leading up to it is also interesting, so you might want to listen to this mans whole incredible story.

I just had a look at Patrick Geryl's website that has a wealth of information on the Egyptain Labyrinth discovery and will check it out thoroughly, looks very interesting.

www.world-mysteries.com...

The mission of the Mataha-expedition was, besides preservation, to research the quarry theory by Petrie based on his finding of a great artificial stone surface (304meter on 244meter). Petrie interpreted the enormous artificial stone plateau he discovered at the depth of several meters, as the foundation of the labyrinth, concluding that the building itself was totally demolished, as a stone quarry in the Ptolemaic period. However, the “foundation” impenetrated by early expeditions, never lost the possibility of being the roof of the Labyrinth, described by Strabo as a great plain of stone. The Mataha – expedition research goal was to confirms the presence of archaeological features at the labyrinth area south of the Hawara pyramid of Amenemhet III.

Link about this topic from 2009

www.abovetopsecret.com...
edit on 29-10-2010 by Aquarius1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 30 2010 @ 01:25 AM
link   
reply to post by Aquarius1

Thanks Aquarius1 for letting me know that Patrick Geryl has a website. I hadn't realized that Patrick Geryl has a website. He doesn't really say any more than he did in the interview, but it does have pictures, and his books that he has for sale.

Its strange that he states on his web site that they found an opening, but it doesn't say much more than that, other than the site is underground and most likely flooded. You would think that they would have at least sent in scuba divers to check it out and report something of significance.

Patrick Geryl has a lot of strange, but interesting ideas.

posted on Oct, 30 2010 @ 01:56 AM
link   
Poor Hawass always gets it.
He is in a no win situation.
What should he do?
Give in to all the crazies,
Or do proper research?
It wouldn't matter who the Egyptians put in charge.
They would have to contend with all the madness,
At least he has established some protection for these structures.

So the zanies don't like it!
Wouldn't have expected anything else.

posted on Oct, 30 2010 @ 12:37 PM
link   
reply to post by midicon

So the zanies don't like it!

It is not the zanies so much as that Zahi is in denial in that
there is a possibility that someone other then Egyptians may have built the Pyramids and or the Sphinx, it is well known when evidence is presented that doesn't meet his paradigm he Pooh Pooh's it.

posted on Oct, 30 2010 @ 02:08 PM
link   

What evidence would that be?
You see that's the problem.
There is none, unless of course we include imagination.
Now I'm all for imagination, but it's not evidence.

posted on Oct, 30 2010 @ 02:42 PM
link   
reply to post by midicon

Startling new evidence from Giza appears to prove that the Sphinx was built over 10,000 years ago, thus rewriting the history of human civilisation. The mystery deepens with evidence of a secret hypogeum beneath the Sphinx...

By Robert Bauval

The Language Of Stone
The Great Sphinx of Giza is probably the world's best known relic from the distant past. It is shrouded in mystery. Indeed to many it is mystery itself.

The Sphinx is not built with quarried blocks like the pyramids and temples it guards, but carved out of the living bedrock. Its makers gave it a man's head (some say it's a woman) and the body of a lion. It is 66 feet high and an impressive 240 feet long. It has the most extraordinary expression, like a hundred Mona Lisas all rolled into one. And it eyes gaze forever at the distant horizon due east, at the equinox point...at something not of this world but beyond it, in the sky. Something, perhaps, that is reflected or 'frozen' in the essence and age of the Sphinx.
First Published in AA&ES magazine, August 1996

dialspace.dial.pipex.com...

John Anthony West and Robert Dauval have done extensive research on the Sphinx and there is evidence that it is over 10,000 years old because of the water erosion, the area was not a desert at that time the erosion did not come from sand.

Zahi still maintains that that is impossible with no evidence to the contrary.

posted on Oct, 30 2010 @ 03:45 PM
link   

West and Bauval smashing, fine research indeed!
Although the weathering patterns have created controversy,
It proves nothing.
The quality of the limestone is poor,
There have been periods of changes in weather patterns nearer the time period.
It's a bit of a state really.

posted on Oct, 30 2010 @ 10:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by Aquarius1

The necropolis extension is a new find, so they don't know the exact dimensions of the new area or who or what is buried there. Excavation will take decades (20-30 years) and they will probably find tombs of other priests assigned to the kings who built the pyramids.

I guess I get impatient, know it takes a long time to find these treasures, time is running out in that I more then likely won't be here in 20-30 years.:

Don't despair! Depending on resources and other matters, other areas will be worked on by university teams (such as Southern Methodist University) and there will be students and professors compiling the collections and getting out reports on them. If the find was here in America, there would be a possibility that you could actually volunteer to help the researchers (as I do with dinosaurs.)

There's also the possibility that someday soon they'll put up research material on the internet and ask for volunteers to help them document and identify things. Sites like www.galaxyzoo.com... and the new Moon Zoo (which just added ships logs and they're asking you to note climate and political comments) are starting to model how we can make research accessible to everyone.

Many hands help progress.

I'll see if I can find some links where you can browse read up on current topics in archaeology. I also recommend to folks to get involved with local archaeological and paleontological societies (and fossil hunting groups.) You don't need degrees, just an interest!

posted on Oct, 30 2010 @ 10:43 PM
link   

By Robert Bauval

The Language Of Stone
The Great Sphinx of Giza is probably the world's best known relic from the distant past. It is shrouded in mystery. Indeed to many it is mystery itself.

Actually, as that page says, the "startling new theory" was presented in 1996. It follows an earlier scientific paper by Dr. Robert Schoch that maintained the Sphynx may be older than 3,000 BC. Here's an older announcement about this dating to the time when he was still looking for other evidence:
www.21stcenturyradio.com...

Following that, he found himself going toe-to-toe with REAL geologists (neither Schoch nor Bauval nor Hancock are geologists. I ain't either, but I've learned some geology over the years.) This page does a really good job of summarizing the arguments on both sides. Note that these are scientists debating this with a lot of geologists pointing out some of the possible flaws in his idea. He's got some good responses but in the end (as he eventually admitted) the case for "older" doesn't hold up very well:
www.davidpbillington.net...

Zahi still maintains that that is impossible with no evidence to the contrary.

And he's basing that on the reports of geologists (since in this case the main argument was about geology and not about New Kingdom material.) Hawass is indeed an expert on New Kingdom Egypt (and can cite facts (in spite of his abrasive personality) and can read the hieroglyphs like I can read a message text.) He's not an expert on earlier times in Egypt (though as director of Antiquities, he announces finds.)

He does control who gets what digs in Egypt -- a far better situation than before, when people would just show up and dig wherever they liked (and occasionally dynamited the pyramids or other structures.)

So... anyway... he's just reciting the consensus. As you can see there was a real brawl among geologists and archaeologists about whether this was possibly true -- and the debate raged on for nearly 10 years before a consensus was agreed on.

posted on Oct, 30 2010 @ 10:46 PM
link   
WAKE UP WAKE UP..........ITS FREDDY KRUGER!!

Sweet find! S&F. I love when they publicly announce some "FIND" in egypt. Obviously someone knew that was there!

posted on Oct, 30 2010 @ 11:12 PM
link   
reply to post by Byrd

I'll see if I can find some links where you can browse read up on current topics in archeology. I also recommend to folks to get involved with local archaeological and paleontological societies (and fossil hunting groups.) You don't need degrees, just an interest

Thank you for your input Byrd, much appreciated, would love if you posted some links here, I am interested in knowing what is currently going on.

I have thought about getting involved in a local archaeological and paleontological groups, I know my Alma Mater Wayne State University has a group and also University of Michigan, I read something locally about a group researching the American Indians in this area which is rich with artifacts. It may have been at clickondetroit.com, will have to do a search.

posted on Oct, 31 2010 @ 12:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by Byrd

Following that, he found himself going toe-to-toe with REAL geologists (neither Schoch nor Bauval nor Hancock are geologists.

Excuse me, pal! How dare you?

Dr. Schoch holds a PhD in geology and geophysics from Yale.

Thank you. Not.
edit on 10/31/2010 by PixelDuster because: nunya

posted on Oct, 31 2010 @ 12:15 PM
link   
reply to post by Havick007

I dont trust Hawass one bit,

I don't either, and after I saw the show he had on TV my opinion dropped further.

posted on Oct, 31 2010 @ 12:55 PM
link   
reply to post by PixelDuster

Biography:
Dr. Robert M. Schoch, a full-time faculty member at the College of General Studies at Boston University since 1984, earned his Ph.D. (1983) in Geology and Geophysics at Yale University. He also holds an M.S. and M.Phil. in Geology and Geophysics from Yale, as well as degrees in Anthropology (B.A) and Geology (B.S.) from George Washington University. Dr. Schoch is also a member of the Advisory Board, Ananda College of Living Wisdom.

www.robertschoch.com...

You are correct, but mistakes are made sometimes, there is more then one way to correct someone, I prefer the nice way.

posted on Oct, 31 2010 @ 09:01 PM
link   

My apologies to all. The condescending way in which it was said simply struck a nerve.

Here are two who agree with the weathering, as a second line. The Great Sphinx of Giza reborn as a lion in the desert.

I'll leave you to it.

posted on Oct, 31 2010 @ 09:14 PM
link   
reply to post by PixelDuster

No problem, thank you for the links, I do think that that is was originally a Lions head and was changed much later, the body certainly looks like it belongs to a Lion.

Thanks for posting.

posted on Nov, 2 2010 @ 10:20 AM
link   

I know my Alma Mater Wayne State University has a group and also University of Michigan, I read something locally about a group researching the American Indians in this area which is rich with artifacts. It may have been at clickondetroit.com, will have to do a search.

OOOOooooooh!!!! Yes, yes!!! They have some exciting digs going on up there! If you have trouble getting in, try to see if you can volunteer at a museum... this will often get you an "in" to certain groups. Native American digs are really interesting -- and if you're with a good group, you will have SO much fun learning what they know!

I am having a serious case of scholar-envy here! I love those kinds of digs. Also, if you have a hiker's GPS and can learn how to work Google Earth, you can make yourself extra valuable to the folks at the dig. I have an old Magellan (but if you are interested in GPS help, then check with Google Earth website and find out which ones work best (direct uploads to the maps.) Mapping and surveying is critical to sites and it's actually a very useful skill and one that can be done by people with physical limitations.

posted on Nov, 2 2010 @ 10:26 AM
link   

Originally posted by PixelDuster

Originally posted by Byrd

Following that, he found himself going toe-to-toe with REAL geologists (neither Schoch nor Bauval nor Hancock are geologists.

Excuse me, pal! How dare you?

Dr. Schoch holds a PhD in geology and geophysics from Yale.

Thank you. Not.
edit on 10/31/2010 by PixelDuster because: nunya

He does indeed, and I stand corrected. I knew that but the website I got my information from was one that I didn't recheck... got the vague impression that his first paper was presented before his PhD. What can I say -- bad brain cell moment. I've encountered him on another board and he's always been polite and scholarly.

In any case, it was quite the brawl. Schoch also got involved with the Bosnian "pyramids" and I think after that became rather disenchanted with a lot of alternate history things.

Archaeoastronomy is a very controversial topic because we usually don't have any written evidence to support some of the things that have been found. I do know of some Sun Daggers here in Texas and there's one site that I want to return to examine since it does seem to have recent (past 300 years) solar marks. But overall it's a pretty dicey subject. I want to look into it a bit more in another year or so.

posted on Nov, 2 2010 @ 05:37 PM
link   
reply to post by Byrd

OOOOooooooh!!!! Yes, yes!!! They have some exciting digs going on up there! If you have trouble getting in, try to see if you can volunteer at a museum... this will often get you an "in" to certain groups. Native American digs are really interesting -- and if you're with a good group, you will have SO much fun learning what they know!

I plan to contact the archeology department at University of Michigan and see what information I can get, who knows.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join