It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Good places to buy survival gear and supplies from

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 27 2010 @ 07:36 PM
link   
Ok this may have been posted before but I couldn't find any relevant and in completion threads. As we all know there will be a day that we need to turn to our roots and begin to try and survive on our own, in groups of people like they used to in the old west or even earlier. My question is can some people make suggestions where to buy good quality survival gear and supplies? Also a list of items one would be able to "bug out" with on foot and set up camp somewhere several miles from home.

Don't bother with the "I'd have a barrett .50 cal rifle with 3000 rounds" because that is completely impractical and I have that covered with a 9mm, 12ga., and .308. Minimal rounds about 200-300 rounds each. Ammo gets heavy quick and I don't expect to be in a firefight where I need that much ammo. These rounds are very common and we'll probably be able to scrum them up from firefights where people did have that many.

I do not have a "BOB" yet so I'm looking to get ideas that are inexpensive and where to buy them.

posted on Oct, 27 2010 @ 07:41 PM
link   
I have found that lots of my survival gear has been purchased at second hand stores and garage sales. I have found some of the greatest things that most people consider taking up space, or not useful, for a couple of dollars.

As far as some supplies that would be helpful in almost any situation, you have got to check out some of the threads on the survival forum, I have contributed and have found some great advice and suggestions.

Peace, NRE.

posted on Oct, 27 2010 @ 07:43 PM
link   
Camping supply places like REI are a good spot to start, or if you want something with a more military feel (and less flashing coloring) then check out CheaperThanDirt. I've never done business with REI but they are pretty well regarded in terms of quality of gear, as for CTD they don't always have top shelf but if you are working on a tight budget some good items can be had for decent prices. For a checklist I highly suggest Gazrok's thread which has a fairly extensive list and some good feedback on it, plus its the most recent I believe. After all that if you still need some help or advice there are usually a few of us lurking around the forum willing to provide help where we can.

EDIT:

You can of course pick up things at normal stores like Walmart, Target, Bass Pro Shop, Cabelas, etc but I figured online ordering sources were the gist since they are sometimes harder to locate.
edit on 10/27/2010 by Helig because: extra info

posted on Oct, 27 2010 @ 07:57 PM
link   
Sarajevo survival guide FTW.

You will need things you can't imagine. And you will toss things you thought would be essential. The only sure thing is the more stuff you can pack into your brain, the less you need in your bag.

posted on Oct, 27 2010 @ 08:39 PM
link   
reply to post by Helig

REI is amazing to me. Every couple of months I take a trip to the ATL and stop by to take a look at all their gear.

posted on Oct, 28 2010 @ 08:15 AM
link   
reply to post by Helig

Hey Thanks for pointing me in the direction of Gazrok's thread. Good ideas for items in a B.O.B. Now I just need to figure out where to buy it all for a decent price.

posted on Oct, 28 2010 @ 01:45 PM
link   
check this one www.campingsurvival.com... i bought a water filter and some firestarters, they have a lot of stuff at what i think are decent prices

posted on Oct, 28 2010 @ 01:55 PM
link   
army navy surplus stores,discount sporting good stores, and my fav DI, salvation army out lets, and second hand stores, also check out ww1 ww2 sellers for the real thing,

top topics

join